One year after release opinion

• Thread starter fernandito
  • 408 comments
The game is great overall now, the only thing that is ruining some of the career races (play only offline) is the unrealistic puddles creation when scaling time and the fact that the AI can get through these lakes with no issues while you get into the barrier even at 30kmh.

Sadly I think it needs too much effort to get fixed so i won't be at this stage.

It was reported as a bug on SMS forum by many users but never fixed. I bought the deluxe version of the game plus the season pass on my PS4 PRO. I'm waiting for next patches fixing bugs and, more important, providing improvements on the game. But personally (after more than one year now) I doubt we will see any new patch after the last released DLC patch. As the title of the article says, the game still needs improvements and refinements but tbh no real improvements have been made in more than one year.

And I play both and have twice the fun... Win-win situation. Hating something is also loosing something, and both games have their pro's and cons.
It's not about hating, it's just that personalized lobbies have game breaking issues on GTS, AI is quite bad, normal campaign mode I've got it 100% completed and yes, sport mode has potential .... But don't like weekly races and neither how short they are and the penalty system I find the one of PC2 a bit better ..... So for me I just don't have any interest more to keep playing gtsport.

For the rest... PC2 is more complete in features, options, settings, real categories,better Tyre model, better simulation and a lot better FFB.

So, to have a game that takes 100gb of space on my HDD and don't play it .. I deleted it and enjoy PC2 and AC

However there are still many things which could be refined or further improved.
yeah, such as the ridiculous penalty/track limits that are even worse than previous patch.

I mean. I can understand devs going full retard on setting track limits the way they are now, as long as they work exclusively on hotlap/time trial mode. However, they are just all over the top for regular racing.

In acc for example, you have hardcore track limits like those of pc2 in hotlaps and time trials, but once in race mode they are of course different as expected.

And then there's the online mode which was left the way it was from the beginning. I mean mediocre to bad, and with still many bugs when setting parameters after one race and what not.

Also, how on Earth couldn't they fix the players country flags eventually?, this is one of those things that are beyond me despite this is by no mean a critical or game breaking issue.

I don't think that is true! Many improvements have been made! However there are still many things which could be refined or further improved.

As said in previous threads, I was referring mainly to important features (and not so complex to be implemented) in the online area (e.g. online filtering options, etc...). They didn't receive any attention from SMS.
There was also no improvements at all on secondary features of the game like the replay mode. As it is now replay is totally useless (number of replays you can save, quality of replay visual, control commands and menu are simply ridiculous to be used).
Some bugs are there from day 1 (e.g. is it so complex to fix the country flag?).
Not to mention the missing information about what is fixed by the patches. From my side it was another big incentive to let people abandon the game. Honestly, a big mistake from SMS.

Although I don't like GT Sport I should admit that it received a lot more post release support. Unfortunately PC2 is not receiving the support most people was expecting.

yeah, such as the ridiculous penalty/track limits that are even worse than previous patch.

And then there's the online mode which was left the way it was from the beginning. I mean mediocre to bad, and with still many bugs when setting parameters after one race and what not.

Also, how on Earth couldn't they fix the players country flags eventually?, this is one of those things that are beyond me despite this is by no mean a critical or game breaking issue.

They are other examples of bugs/broken features never addressed.

I think the weather system is manageable as long as you don't go random. Avoid weather settings that would red flag a real race (thunderstorms, snow etc.) and avoid accelerated time if you do intend some rain (it builds up too fast to get back to the pits and put your wets on), shoot for one early wet session in the middle of four dry and that magic drying line coming out is usually seen.

Hopefully, PC3 will take a closer look at the weather system, and polish off the rough edges. Accelerated time shouldn't mean accelerated puddles! Disconnect weather from time. Can't be that hard!

A bit more time spent on puddle size with comparison to real world photos might be time well spent. But a completely flooded track means a red flag just about anywhere. Common sense limits to the build-up of weather effects don't seem too difficult to implement. After all, the mechanism already exists, you just need to limit it to the point where it isn't unrealistic!

And 'random' weather? Snow in Dubai?! Blizzards in Sonoma in April?! It's one thing to have a weather system capable of these anomalies, but another to weight 'random' to the more extreme settings. The bug where the weather is weighted evenly between settings, but those settings are NOT random depending on venue and time of year is simply the devs not thinking this through. We need a racing sim, not a weather sim!

PC2 is a race that stalled in sight of the finish line. But a DNF is a DNF. Hopefully, SMS can run out the pits and push the car over the line!

It's not about hating, it's just that personalized lobbies have game breaking issues on GTS, AI is quite bad, normal campaign mode I've got it 100% completed and yes, sport mode has potential .... But don't like weekly races and neither how short they are and the penalty system I find the one of PC2 a bit better ..... So for me I just don't have any interest more to keep playing gtsport.

For the rest... PC2 is more complete in features, options, settings, real categories,better Tyre model, better simulation and a lot better FFB.

So, to have a game that takes 100gb of space on my HDD and don't play it .. I deleted it and enjoy PC2 and AC

Tempted to do the same mate. I love the graphics of GTS but I've not played it in weeks.
What kills it for me is not the dull physics (although it gets on my nerves); it's the buying/unlocking cars mentality. It feels like Need For Speed or some old arcadey game.

It was actually my first GT game ever and if I was aware that this is the case; actually I knew but didn't expect it to be that silly with some iconic cars costing 20Millions which means long hours of gameplay to be able to get them.
This is super annoying to me (especially that I have tons of other games to play and limited gaming time)! I want to be able to play/race any car I want whenever I want however I want; just like AC and PC2.

Last edited:
Tempted to do the same mate. I love the graphics of GTS but I've not played it in weeks.
What kills it for me is not the dull physics (although it gets on my nerves); it's the buying/unlocking cars mentality. It feels like Need For Speed or some old arcadey game.

It was actually my first GT game ever and if I was aware that this is the case; actually I knew but didn't expect it to be that silly with some iconic cars costing 20Millions which means long hours of gameplay to be able to get them.
This is super annoying to me (especially that I tons of other games to play and limited gaming time)! I want to be able to play/race any car I want whenever I want however I want; just like AC and PC2.
Agree is gonna be annoying having to grind over 3 million credits in gts to buy the p1 gtr when all i wanna do is just drive it:(

I just hope the end reward is worth it and the gtr in that game is as much fun to drive as it is in pcars 2 :)

Agree is gonna be annoying having to grind over 3 million credits in gts to buy the p1 gtr when all i wanna do is just drive it:(

I just hope the end reward is worth it and the gtr in that game is as much fun to drive as it is in pcars 2 :)
Highly doubt that man. I'm yet to really ENJOY driving any car in GTS.

it's the buying/unlocking cars mentality. It feels like Need For Speed or some old arcadey game.
you want everything done form the beginning right. I'm afraid you are not going to like GT7.

Unlocking stuff old school way through playing and roughly enjoying a game was one of the best things about the games before all of this, and GT series was precisely one of the most benefited franchises ever by this phylosophy.

In the old GT games you had nothing from the beginning but 10000 credits that you had to use to buy an used car (toyota supra or Nissan Primera were usually the firsts choices in GT used car market). It was so cool to begin from the scratch with the car as it was (and with less power given its use. You had preset KM too to an used car); then winning races little by little; adding turbo; buying new tyres, etc. All of that is now lost to GT, and I hope this returns in GT7.

If there's a weak point to pc2 and the other miriad of nowadays games, specially fighting games, now offering you everything from the beginning, is precisely that. To have everything from the beginning.

It was actually my first GT game ever
that's what I was thinking.

Last edited:
you want everything done form the beginning right. I'm afraid you are not going to like GT7.

Unlocking stuff old school way through playing and roughly enjoying a game was one of the best things about the games before all of this, and GT series was precisely one of the most benefited franchises ever by this phylosophy.

In the old GT games you had nothing from the beginning but 10000 credits that you had to use to buy an used car (toyota supra or Nissan Primera were usually the firsts choices in GT used car market). It was so cool to begin from the scratch with the car as it was (and with less power given its use. You had preset KM too to an used car); then winning races little by little; adding turbo; buying new tyres, etc. All of that is now lost to GT, and I hope this returns in GT7.

If there's a weak point to pc2 and the other miriad of nowadays games, specially fighting games, now offering you everything from the beginning, is precisely that. To have everything from the beginning.

In your opinion.

I personally like having everything available so I can get on track with whatever I want asap.

My opinion obviously.

As @Mr Grumpy already said, that's in your opinion.
Personally I'm already annoyed by the fact that the top 2 career tiers have to be unlocked first.
As @Mr Grumpy Personally I'm already annoyed by the fact that the top 2 career tiers have to be unlocked first.
Those make for your personal issues and opinions, too

At the very least next GT should come to the old good ways of unlocking everything from the beginning, as well as having to find an used car in order to participate. Game needs more advanced tyres too.

GT can't continue to be the way it is physics wise. It needs to jump into sim territory once and for all after all these years, otherwise it will continue to be and feel outdated in this department.

Last edited:

I agree, but only if you have the time. These days I might get 4 maybe 5 hours tops as week for gaming therefore I simply do not have the time to get that 20 million needed for a car that I want to try out. This is where I much prefer PCars 2 and AC as I have access to all the interesting stuff as I want it.

Those of us that are time poor simply don't get the value out of games where you have to put 50 plus hours in to get somewhere.

I totally get your point of view and respect it.
Actually, that's why there are different options in life. Not every game gonna suit every gamer.

As most have said above, though, this kind of games used to be fun, in my opinion, in the past when I was a kid that barely studies an hour after school and get to gaming all day, all weekend long.
Now that I'm a married man with kids and work and lots of stuff going on, I barely have some days a couple of hours to game (and other days none).
I can't play GTS in those 2 hrs to unlock some cars that I already have available in AC or PC2 (let alone other awesome games as Battlefield or Red dead redemption 2 etc...)

I know it was a mistake buying that GTS. And I definitely won't even be watching GT7 trailer.

I'm happy to at least finally trying a GT game and see what all the fuss was about. Not gonna say it's bad (although I think it is IMHO), but I'll simply say it's definitely not the game for me.

Last edited:

Well, that's always an personal opinion ..

In the 4 first gt games with the tuning, second hand cars, nice and huge career, better AI and higher difficulty than now and without online(and without micro transitions) it was fun to play, grind credits and achieve the licenses..

Nowadays GT career is little to none huge and varied like it was before, not to mention how easy it's to achieve gold or win the AI.

But since GT5 they sale their games as "online racing sims" and focus more and more the game towards online competition.

So for people that like online racing.. And don't have time to grind credits offline... It's a problem for those cars that cost 20 millions..
So they are not very used in racing leagues.

One game did it really good fusionating "old times" with the "new times" and that is "Dirt Rally".... In the career mode you have to win your credits to buy new cars, upgrade them and pay ingineers .. But for the online rallys you have access to all the cars for free...
Ideal for those with a lot of time and those that enjoy a nice career mode and excellent for people with not a lot of time and just want to play online ..

But, for me , one of the most important issues from GTS apart the need to buy cars... Is the broken netcode of personalized lobbies and the little to none variety of things to do in a quite potential mode like "sport mode" is...
So there's nothing more left to enjoy and make someone play if you completed the "campaign mode" cause for me personally "gt league" and his bad AI is really boring .. And more boring is to do a same race 30 times to buy one 20 million credit car.

The career mode in PC2 is more enjoyable and difficult, with some good intense racing experience against the AI..., the personalized online lobbies work correct.. And you can use any car without any problem... And there are more options and configuration available than GTS.

Same for assetto .. The special events made me think of the good times of GT... Where it was difficult to achieve a gold medal, and for online.. Well, assetto offers a better experience in personalized lobbies also than GTS .

Both games gives also a quite better FFB on wheels and a better simulation and driving experience in general...

And it's nice to see some people around here talking and giving their opinions in a respectful manner .. So it's really nice to talk about a great hobby we all have in common.

:cheers:

One of the strengths of the old school 'progression' systems on older games was, it FORCED new players into a logical progression learning low power cars and handling, then a bit more power, then a bit more...

Sure, for us old hands it seemed a bit pointless to make us jump through all those hoops to get to where we were on the previous game, but it was always worth it to not have to dodge legions of noobs with zero chance of controlling a full-on race car or hypercar determined to join our lobbies!

I never begrudged the time spent to work your way up the new ladder. After all, how long did it take, really? Our skill level made each race a gimme, but could hold up a new player for at least long enough that they had a modicum of control before they got into our rooms!

The trend towards sandboxing games may very well be the thing that is leading to lower and lower percentages continuing to play the game after a few days or weeks. To the average kid, or even older player with no racing game experience, all it might take is a lap around the 'Ring in a Can-Am on cold tires to get the game immediately binned. But stop them getting in that Can-Am until they have worked their way up to it, there's a better chance they stick with the game, even if it means going back to earlier levels and competing in Groups they KNOW they can drive well in.

And, in truth, it really ties into a proper 'sim' mentality. Nobody gets a drive in the fastest, most expensive, most difficult to drive cars until they have proved themselves in the feeder leagues. Walking into the paddock and sitting in whatever car you feel like just don't happen!

I've been working hard since a young age; been married for ten years now and have a kid, and I always found my time to play example GT series and roughly enjoy, first the driving and the trial from low tier up to the highest, as well as the time spent of grinding (part of the good experience of playing a game, have you already forgotten that with the age?), and all in spite of the many jobs I have been through for almost 40 years now.

All I want now for GT7 is exactly the same as the classics, but of course with a decent level of simulation, which is the minimum thing to ask to this absolutely outdated series since GT5 in order to feel good again, given the fact that sims like pc2, assetto, rfactor2 etc simply forces you to follow that path. GT is the real driving simulator right?, let's hope GT7 is the first tittle to truly live to that tag. It did by the days of 1 and 2, but it's been too long already since then.

Hope you don't get mad at me folks, but I can't just buy the I dont' have time argument because I have a job a family and blahblah. Rewarding the lazy is not the way. And yes, sorry. I did say it.

@fernandito no one will get mad at you! No one should get mad at opinions or one's life experiences!

But it seems you didn't get it fully, at least what I said:
I have little time for games (say couple of hours a day maximum), and I won't be passing that time playing GTS just to gather money that will allow me to unlock/buy other cars. I am better off playing other games completely (whether other sims or other FPS/TPS games).
So I have time for gaming, but not enough time to grind for cars on a specific game. Of course, if there wasn't but GTS out there, I would be forced to do so, but in the times and situation of today, no thanks.

EDIT: The above is supposing that I really like GTS driving experience, FFB, etc... However, I don't. So I prefer to play AC and PC2 over GTS anytime even if I have all cars of the game unlocked for me.

After grinding gts over the weekend for over 22 hours straight it make me appreciate pcars 2 in the fact that every car is unlock from the start.

It also made me appreciate how amazing the driving in pcars 2 is compare to gts.

I have nothing against gts i can wait to try the p1 gtr come wednesday but the driving in that game as left a lot to be desired (imho)

I have nothing against gts i can wait to try the p1 gtr come wednesday but the driving in that game as left a lot to be desired (imho)
I think that's the main reason why it's such a grind. The offline parts of the game just feel dull and just a way to get credits.

Imagine trying to run a racing league in PC2 if you had to wait for players to unlock cars and tracks before they could take part.

Agreed - I had that problem in GT5 and GT6 - players often didn't have the cars so alternative low cost cars had to be listed. For one series I remember giving people 6 months notice so they would have plenty of time to grind for credits and buy the cars!

Imagine trying to run a racing league in PC2 if you had to wait for players to unlock cars and tracks before they could take part.

If you unlock those cars with safety license, then where is the problem? You don't have enough safety to use a gt3, then you can't race in a gt3 league. Develop your safety skills and then you will be able to use more powerful cars

If you unlock those cars with safety license, then where is the problem? You don't have enough safety to use a gt3, then you can't race in a gt3 league. Develop your safety skills and then you will be able to use more powerful cars

This... In a nutshell.

Mind you, that would also involve the safety rating system to be slightly less the joke it is now. I think it ought to be a LOT easier to lose safety rating, and harder to lose number rating (start mid-pack because of not enough time to qualy well, and noobs can ruin a decent score quite quickly!)...

If it was annoying to have to go thru driving lessons all over again on GT3, imagine how it felt on GT6, not to mention GTS.

Griding in the game to buy cars drove me away from it. To me it felt like work not fun.

For PD to keep hammering this format for two decades is mind boggling.

Back