One year after release opinion

• Thread starter fernandito
  • 408 comments
I purchased this one a while back due to recommendations from this site.
Seems to vary in quality a lot depending on car track combo...
I had issues with ffb, camera shake effects etc. Turned off most of it. The stock viewpoint from in car is unusable to me. Had to mess around for hours between that and ffb to get it to work decent. I use t300 and cockpit view. This game has its place. Parts of it can be fun. I would say if you are having problems with a certain car track combo switch that. I like some of this game for single player.
I like driving a lot so I put in some time and finally got a handle on certain parts. Like drive the mclaren gt3 on Nürburgring gp if you like that car and track. Feels like cheating compared to Ac or GT Sport and that’s good fun. It’s relaxing to nonchalantly gas it and hook up so well in high powered cars.
Bathurst gt4 I am scared to drive again because the first time I had not turned off all the camera shake effects That’s what I mean about varying quality and stuff and it gave me motion sickness after third lap through the dipper. I was messed up on all games after that for two days...couldn’t play at all on any.
Feel wise this game can be engaging but seems a bit all over the place. The shimmering graphics are not on all tracks and I try to ignore that. Certain parts of some tracks look great. I’d say it’s worth buying for the variety it gives just don’t expect all of it to be equal quality.
People can decide for themselves on physics etc. You simply have to try these games for yourself and spend the time with them. I’d buy this game again. For me it allows one to do certain things on throttle when tires are right temp that would cause spins in Ac or GT Sport or irl. Sometimes you just don’t know if you have grip or not in pc2. Ffb is below those two in terms of info about what car is doing and coordination of camera and driver inputs is weird sometimes certain places on certain tracks. It has plenty of things happening though and that’s immersive by itself! I use default loose setup and set everything I could find to no assist 1-1 your input to what car does and just don’t wanna play with suspension settings etc. so ymmv. I think it’s neat you can do that for those that like it.
Have had lots of bugs like people say like having to close application to get it to run and suddenly losing wheel connectivity and some tracks not loading. Seems unpolished at times. Nothing like GT Sport in that aspect. I play this one when I don’t feel like racing against people just chilling alone.
When you buy this don’t expect plug and play, you will have to set things to your taste. This was time consuming for me but now I can pop it in and drive. The only thing I do now is adjust strength of ffb to taste depending on car.
All driving games are fun despite it all. It’s a driving game! Enjoy the era in which we live with this amazing tech!
Totally worth buying this game just for the variety aspect and when it’s good it’s pretty cool. I find it fun in a different way from GT Sport or Ac and that’s neat.
All these games need to be played. I say buy them all. They are all fun in different ways.

mef
Bought the game on day 1. Was full of bugs my, ts300 was not recognized on ps4.
Spent weeks trying to warm to the game. Ups where track selection and immersion of a race at different conditions, being unable to have consistent FFB for all cars without spending time for every car to make it feel right disqualified the game for me.
Felt like I was expected to tweak FFB where the developer should have done this.
Sorry if this hurts some fans of the series but I was a paying customer and didn't have a good experience. If anybody can point me to a working PS4 TS300 profile I'm happy to give it another shot.
Hmm, the wheel problems were my biggest reason for not buying PCAR2 yet. If there's not one decent profile for t300, I won't buy it now either.

Every car is supposed to feel different so yes you might like one cars feel and not another. If they set the ffb in stone everyone would be moaning aswell

Hmm, the wheel problems were my biggest reason for not buying PCAR2 yet. If there's not one decent profile for t300, I won't buy it now either.
You can select the immersive preset in the ffb tab which is decent enough, but the problem is that you can't feel good powerful enough road effects such as the persistent bumping even on a straight (curbs are perfectly fine and they feel stronger as you increased the road effect slider) in all the tracks that are not laser scanned. But the rest of the effects are fine; i mean the ffb in pc2 is not bad at all.

I have a TX (the Xbox equivalent of a T300).

I run Raw flavour (undiluted effects).

Gain 100 (so I feel 100% ffb).

Volume 25 (old cars feel heavy, newer cars feel light) like they should in the real world due to power steering.

Tone 75 (I prefer to feel when the back end loses grip over the front end).

FX 50 (a nice even feel to all road surfaces, curbs, bumps, knocks & off track excursions) not that I crash & leave the track that much.......Honest :)

Other people use different settings & tune their ffb per car, which is fine, it's a personal thing.

I setup my ffb based around one of the most heaviest cars to drive on the one of the most ffb demanding tracks while only clipping for a split second on the worst part of the track.

That is the 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12 Group 44 (Vintage GT A) at Classic Spa flying down the Holowell straight after the Masta kink towards Stavelot corner.

The forces going through my wheel at this point is the most I've ever felt from any other car/track combo I've tried.

So for me, that's what I chose as my base setting (personal opinion of course).

You wouldn't make a modern day super/racing car feel like this because if you then went to try & drive this car on this track, 1 or both of 2 things are going to happen.

1. You're not going to be able to turn your wheel to start with.
2. That little red clipping bar will be so high that you'll lose all of the ffb.

Besides, the guys over at Inside Sim Racing had high praise for the ffb in PC2 saying it's some of the best ffb they've felt. But hey, what do they know aye.

Last edited:
Force feedback is THE most personal aspect of all the features of SIM racing in my view. There is not any "decent" profile for any particular racer because every one of us has different preferences. I have my FFB on my T300 dialled in just as I like it and the only thing I change is dialling back the volume slightly if running endurance races on some of the 'heavier' cars.

All these games need to be played. I say buy them all. They are all fun in different ways.

Couldn't agree more.

The thing that really grinds my gears is, of all the games out there, PC2 is the closest to the perfect allrounder...

But apparently the most stubbornly resistant to the few changes it needs to become the 'perfect' game. Particularly on console. No-one else out there can match its content, weather, track and ToD change. Heck, AC is probably not going to be able to achieve weather and ToD on a current gen console, something SMS have very successfully achieved. GTS doesn't even try...

But the slip-ups in the console port, especially multiplayer (the core of any modern sim racing experience) cripple it to the point that far inferior games become the preferred alternative for most on console (GTS's player base exceeds all three platforms combined in PC2, and that's not even counting Forza). And these flaws have remained unaddressed since PC1.

So... yes, stubborn.

Couldn't agree more.

The thing that really grinds my gears is, of all the games out there, PC2 is the closest to the perfect allrounder...

But apparently the most stubbornly resistant to the few changes it needs to become the 'perfect' game. Particularly on console. No-one else out there can match its content, weather, track and ToD change. Heck, AC is probably not going to be able to achieve weather and ToD on a current gen console, something SMS have very successfully achieved. GTS doesn't even try...

But the slip-ups in the console port, especially multiplayer (the core of any modern sim racing experience) cripple it to the point that far inferior games become the preferred alternative for most on console (GTS's player base exceeds all three platforms combined in PC2, and that's not even counting Forza). And these flaws have remained unaddressed since PC1.

So... yes, stubborn.

I disagree vehemently.

He's right. SMS needs to seriously reconsider the quality of the overall online experience in the next project cars, as well as dramatically reducing the car categories to just a few in order to avoid scattering the community online and gathering as much players together as possible in the same rooms with the same cars, which is kinda what Assetto competizione is about to do in a few months.

Online needs to be good next time, and combined with the current physics and livetrack 3.0 as a very good base + the inclusion of all slick compounds, medium slicks included which should be very interesting with the livetrack, then we should have a winner with pc3.

Then you face the problem of a very dispersed online community, resulting in most cases almost impossible to fill any lobby that is not gt3 based. Not to mention the quality of the online in pc2 that truth be told leaves a lot to be desired, "dedicated" servers (they are just a form of p2p connectivity too in this game) included, and all the related issues still persisting after one year of patching.

I understand all those who couldn't care any less about the online, but it is important to understand the times we live, and that means proper expanded online with decent functionality, and with many players as possible gathered together instead of scattered.

I've thought about this many times for the next PC. Either go the Driveclub way and make lots of countryside based tracks with the awesome road tyre physics we have had in pc2 plus all Road Car categories (and the livetrack stuff to crown the experience), or go full racing cars game with the already increadible roster of tracks available, but having just a handful of GT categories available. Those could be GT3, GT4 and the old but ultimately addictive powerful GT1 cars from old nineties to early 2000 era. We could also have a bonus category like old GT2, which would be utter awesome too. But just those four for example. No more.

I have competizione too and I can see Its potential for having a lot of fun online, but I still find myself coming back to project cars 2 at all times, because this new assetto suffers from exactly the same problems the old one had, such as no sense of speed even on bonnet cameras (the game desperately needs a bumper one, but I still fear there will be no extra sense of speed even when using this view just because of the nature of this game); the infamous and always terrible terrible understeer which imo is a direct consequence to the lack of sense of speed, and then some other details that might be related to the fact that the game is still a work in progress. Then I switch PC2 and the driving becomes a blast again even on GT3 cars (as long as you use the fast paced bumper camera). Problem?, the online and the bugs.

Nevertheless, proper functional and expanded online mode is essential for the next pc. I don't think this is even up to debate at all.

He's right. SMS needs to seriously reconsider the quality of the overall online experience in the next project cars.

Yes - and this needs to include room names with complete room lists so that people can easily find what they want. Also Host kick so Hosts can easily manage their rooms.

As well as dramatically reducing the car categories to just a few in order to avoid scattering the community online and gathering as much players together as possible in the same rooms with the same cars, which is kinda what Assetto competizione is about to do in a few months.

NO, NO, NO! That is completely wrong! I will not be buying ACC because I have no interest in the cars in that game. If PC3 went down that route I simply wouldn't buy it. It should be perfectly possible to improve the online racing experience for those people who want to race random strangers, without destroying the game for everyone else.

Last night I had one of the most enjoyable online races that I have ever had in the last eight years. It was GTC 1957 Ferrari 250 TR v Aston Martin DBR1/300 at Oulton Park International. I only finished 9th after qualifying 11th, but I had 30 of the most intense and enjoyable minutes ever!

Many of the historic cars in PC2 give an incredible experience and when I race them online in a League with clean driving friends it is easy to forget my life's problems and for that 30 minutes become a gentleman racer on track with a virtual Jim Clark, Stirling Moss or Mike Hawthorn.

NO, NO, NO! That is completely wrong! I will not be buying ACC because I have no interest in the cars in that game. If PC3 went down that route I simply wouldn't buy it. It should be perfectly possible to improve the online racing experience for those people who want to race random strangers, without destroying the game for everyone else.

Last night I had one of the most enjoyable online races that I have ever had in the last eight years. It was GTC 1957 Ferrari 250 TR v Aston Martin DBR1/300 at Oulton Park International. I only finished 9th after qualifying 11th, but I had 30 of the most intense and enjoyable minutes ever!

Many of the historic cars in PC2 give an incredible experience and when I race them online in a League with clean driving friends it is easy to forget my life's problems and for that 30 minutes become a gentleman racer on track with a virtual Jim Clark, Stirling Moss or Mike Hawthorn.

Absolutely true. This is a part of the Project Cars unique expirience. This game fills perfectly void after Toca Race Driver. I love this variety in motorsport disciplines. Just give more variety in existing ones and add some new ones in the future :)

Absolutely true. This is a part of the Project Cars unique expirience. This game fills perfectly void after Toca Race Driver. I love this variety in motorsport disciplines. Just give more variety in existing ones and add some new ones in the future :)
Also agree, they do need to expand upon Can Am for starters. Let's get some McLaren's, shadow, BRM, Lola, Nissan, and chapperal thrown in. Then they should produce a trans am category both old and new, Nascar, and maybe a truck racing series too. Then lastly a Hill climb series would be nice.

Yes - and this needs to include room names with complete room lists so that people can easily find what they want. Also Host kick so Hosts can easily manage their rooms.

To me the Crown Jewels of PC2 are all the vintage cars. I would like to see them copy GT6 old quick match format to give everyone a place to go for a month and race different classes. New and old cars race and road.

Then we will have another failed online community for pc3 I'm afraid.

The only way I can think of to keeping so many categories that lead to some succesful online community while avoiding the risk of scattering, is through a matchmaking system that simply forces you to play in that particular auto-created lobby that you are put in one of the many categories of choosing. But even then, I can see 90% of the people fleeing from a matchmaking made lobby over and over until they are matched in one of their liking. In other words 95%GT3, and the other 5% other GT categories or vintage.

I too love driving other GT categories, vintage, road and some open wheel action just like anyone of you. I also appreciate that Project Cars is the only franchise doing this at the moment (no other racing game allows you playing those vintage jewels, and older GT cars). But if we want the next PC to succed were the previous two have failed, then creating a proper big online community that stays together in the same lobbies is mandatory, and that involves not only making a proper big and functional online mode as well as putting most resources in it, but also gathering the entire base of the community together revolving around just few car categories. There's simply no other way.

So the thing is.., do we want a pure GT racing game?, then let's just feature gt4, gt3, GT1 and some other (vintage kinda GT5 or 4), but just that. Do we want a pure factory car racing game?, then include all current road car categories witht he current road tyre model, but we would have the problem that there's just three "countryside" tracks at the moment, meaning that devs would have to create a lot more of them, when we already have a ton.., literally a ton of car racing circuits to be used for GT racing. So I guess the first choice from the devs $$$ perspective would be the one to expect.

We have to put on the table the level achieved on the tyre department with PC2, both road and competition slicks. This has been PC2 greatest achievement without a doubt (and the livetrack stuff). Now it needs to be put to good use for the next pc instalment but now having the online performance and functionality as priority one, as well as of course bug ironing, because I agree we won't go too far if all these PC2 issues in almost every area of the game find their way into pc3 again. That will guarantee another release failure and overall bad opinion from the racing community once more for the months to come.

PC3 primary focus must be online. And with the current pc2 base physics that can only end up being a winner, because when It comes to number of tracks available to this franchise then the winner is obvious. But put it to good use with nice online and a community that stays together, not dispersed.

I enjoyed this game in the small amount of time I’ve spent, it seems to have everything that I wanted that’s missing in GTS (ToD, weather, good tuning, no grinding for cars, more tracks, event customization), however what makes this game great is also it’s Achilles heel; its options.

It takes a while to fiddle and faddle around tweaking the most minute of settings just to find that sweet spot of FoV, FFB and tuning, but once you do it’s great, until you have to start all over again for the next car.

I found myself gravitating to a few cars and tracks and loving it. Only problem (and it’s likely my problem), I’ve got too many games, many favorites, and not enough time to play them.

With talk about next gen consoles looming on the near horizon, at the rate I’m going I won’t be ready for an upgrade for a long, long, time. Thankfully this game isn’t ‘online only’ like some other well known title out there.

I don't actually see much "community" in these matchmaking systems. It seems to be a random bunch of people crashing into each other and complaining about their driver ratings. Community comes from clubs and leagues with strangers joining, meeting like minded people and becoming friends.

Sure a good jump in and have a thrash around with others is a nice feature to have (and seems essential) but it's not ideal for keeping people together.

Variety is the spice of life as it's said and PC2 has that in spades. While I like the GT3, 4 and similar cars they do seem to appear in every game. With AC competizione soon specialising in them SMS needs to diversify instead of competing directly. It is called Project Cars after all.

And my opinion after one year? Well I like it. Nuff said...
... although I'd better add. I prefer it's rawness as opposed to the over glossy nature of the competition. It reminds me of games like TOCA that I used enjoy a few years back. For me any negatives are far outweighed by the positives.
Oh I love all the options and settings, but that's just me. :)

Stuff some more cars and tracks in, enhance the online experience, improve the AI even further and give it a good polish (but don't make it glossy :P) and I'm on the list for a PC3. Probably on a PS5 though.

Haven't fired up Pcars 2 in a long time. I could forgive the bugs here and there, but sometimes on my standard PS4 the frames per second were awful, same with the graphics in certain conditions and tracks. The graphic problem is tolerable but low FPS is a game killer, which is why I have not played it much. It probably runs a lot better on a high end PC or maybe even a PS4 Pro/Xbox One X, but I'm not willing to buy any those for this game.

I do appreciate how ambitious the game is though, if SMS had the budget of Turn 10 or PD then this game would be amazing.

Last edited:
PC3 primary focus must be online.
Absolutely not. Not now, not ever. From everything I have read about this and other racing games the vast majority including me play offline and have zero to minor interest in online. Of course I want you guys who play online to have a fully functional and enjoyable experience but to make it the core of the game is just crazy. Witness GT Sport where the focus was online, and what a great experience it is too. Even then Polyphony had to increase the offline aspects of GTS by a great deal to foster more interest in the game.

Absolutely not. Not now, not ever. From everything I have read about this and other racing games the vast majority including me play offline and have zero to minor interest in online. Of course I want you guys who play online to have a fully functional and enjoyable experience but to make it the core of the game is just crazy. Witness GT Sport where the focus was online, and what a great experience it is too. Even then Polyphony had to increase the offline aspects of GTS by a great deal to foster more interest in the game.
Beat me to it, 100% agree.

Of course I want the online community to have the best possible experience, but not at the expense of the variety of racing experiences in the game. An online focused Project CARS (or anything else for that matter) is not a game I'd ever buy.

Nope — if I meant that, I would've wrote that. ;)

Assetto Corsa is a fantastic steer, even on consoles. But it's also working with a lot less: it's dry only, daytime only, and one set season for each track. I'd say, on balance, PCARS2 is also better on pad than AC, for what it's worth.
Yes yes I know PCars as a race game is not that bad except I had a lot of problems with the first one on console , landing minds grinding steering wheel , invisibly walls at your front door and many small bugs .
I played the first intensively when it came out ( 9 months in total ) but I saw there would'n be any improvement regards the big bugs so I gave up on them BUT .......... BUT .... yesterday when I was young and beautifully I saw that PCARS2 was for sale for 30 Euro's instead of the 100 bucks they normally ask so i went for it and cross my fingers that those big bugs are gone .
By the way How does it play's on PS4 Pro ( I bought it but I still have to download it and this will be only on Friday ? )

Last edited:
You'll never release a game that appeals to everybody. The people that only want to race online will bemoan anything included that nods to single-player, arguing that time was wasted on this that could have been better served on the online portion. Then you'll have the folks who only want to play offline and will bemoan any online offerings as time wasted that could have been spent fine-tuning the AI or the game structure. Then you have the folks that play a bit of both and will moan about there being too wide a focus with not enough time to really fine-tune the overall package. On top of that you'll get the folks who only care about good FFB and not about graphics, or the folk that only care about the graphics, or the folk that only care about the sound. Then there's a group of people for whom the lack of a specific car from some specific era, that only ever raced in a single obscure race in some long-forgotten backwater town, is the greatest sin since the last greatest ever sin. Or the same goes for a circuit and wo betide any game that fails to include every oval ever raced on, since the dawn of time. Then there's the type who want to modify the car way beyond regulations and those that only want what the regulations state.

I swear, if Project CARS 3 ever tries to live up to the expectations of everybody that has put forward a suggestion of what it should be, it would be an ungodly mess, take 20 years to produce, bankrupt 15 companies in the process, cost £4000 when it's released, won't run on consoles and only run on 0.01% of computers available to buy or build. It will sell precisely 12 copies and 10 of those will be returned because "it doesn't handle like this other game that I like". 'The internet' will still argue that it is an 'arcade piece of crap' and about as realistic as a jellyfish piloting a fighter jet, even though it has accurately modelled reality and exhibits zero quirks in either the physics or tyre model, no matter the extremes of the simulation.

As for the topic at hand, I'm one of the least equipped person to pass comment. I've spent 99.9% of my pCARS2 time in 3 areas:

Screenshots
Time Trial/Events
Multiplayer

not necessarily in that order (though it's probably quite accurate, thinking about it!) The game is much the same to me, in those regards, as it was a year ago. Sure, the tyre model has been tweaked in that time, as have a very large number of other things, but by and large it always worked for me and still does.

For whatever it was the game cost me (I bought the deluxe version via entry to WMD2), I only know that I've had far more than my money's worth. Not just in time but in enjoyment and the sheer pleasure of driving. As with pCARS1 before it, few games have elicited the emotional highs and lows that this game has. Be it the enormous adrenaline rush from an amazing lap of Bathurst, or the pain of messing up an otherwise glorious lap of Bathurst, few games will leave you breathless, body soaked with sweat and your lungs gasping for air after just 2 minutes of playtime. For those 2 minutes your body has been filled to the brim with adrenaline and starved of oxygen as you focus so hard on the track ahead of you that you forget to breathe. For 2 minutes you are there in the car, eyes wide open to take in every pixel of the road ahead of you, ears pricked listening for the exact engine pitch to let you know it's time to change gear, fingers as sensitive as a venus fly trap feeling every detail the FFB is feeding them, every molecule of your body buzzing on the sensations being fed to it, all to deliver a lap. Then you cross the line and get another 2-minute joy-ride, destination "happy".

Of course, we all get our kicks in different ways and I'm not blind to the fact that not everybody feels the same way. I don't play on a console and my multiplayer experience has only been within a league I am a 'staff member' of. I also don't race against the AI. So if you want to try and tell me "I'm wrong", bear that in mind.

And finally, as a general note about all games, if you don't like playing a game, play something else, life's too short to be frustrated in your spare time (ahem!). Suggest ideas to the devs on where you think it can be improved and base your expectations on any purchase on what you know, not what you want, then you won't be disappointed :)

You'll never release a game that appeals to everybody. The people that only want to race online will bemoan anything included that nods to single-player, arguing that time was wasted on this that could have been better served on the online portion. Then you'll have the folks who only want to play offline and will bemoan any online offerings as time wasted that could have been spent fine-tuning the AI or the game structure. Then you have the folks that play a bit of both and will moan about there being too wide a focus with not enough time to really fine-tune the overall package. On top of that you'll get the folks who only care about good FFB and not about graphics, or the folk that only care about the graphics, or the folk that only care about the sound. Then there's a group of people for whom the lack of a specific car from some specific era, that only ever raced in a single obscure race in some long-forgotten backwater town, is the greatest sin since the last greatest ever sin. Or the same goes for a circuit and wo betide any game that fails to include every oval ever raced on, since the dawn of time. Then there's the type who want to modify the car way beyond regulations and those that only want what the regulations state.

I swear, if Project CARS 3 ever tries to live up to the expectations of everybody that has put forward a suggestion of what it should be, it would be an ungodly mess, take 20 years to produce, bankrupt 15 companies in the process, cost £4000 when it's released, won't run on consoles and only run on 0.01% of computers available to buy or build. It will sell precisely 12 copies and 10 of those will be returned because "it doesn't handle like this other game that I like". 'The internet' will still argue that it is an 'arcade piece of crap' and about as realistic as a jellyfish piloting a fighter jet, even though it has accurately modelled reality and exhibits zero quirks in either the physics or tyre model, no matter the extremes of the simulation.

As for the topic at hand, I'm one of the least equipped person to pass comment. I've spent 99.9% of my pCARS2 time in 3 areas:

Screenshots
Time Trial/Events
Multiplayer

not necessarily in that order (though it's probably quite accurate, thinking about it!) The game is much the same to me, in those regards, as it was a year ago. Sure, the tyre model has been tweaked in that time, as have a very large number of other things, but by and large it always worked for me and still does.

For whatever it was the game cost me (I bought the deluxe version via entry to WMD2), I only know that I've had far more than my money's worth. Not just in time but in enjoyment and the sheer pleasure of driving. As with pCARS1 before it, few games have elicited the emotional highs and lows that this game has. Be it the enormous adrenaline rush from an amazing lap of Bathurst, or the pain of messing up an otherwise glorious lap of Bathurst, few games will leave you breathless, body soaked with sweat and your lungs gasping for air after just 2 minutes of playtime. For those 2 minutes your body has been filled to the brim with adrenaline and starved of oxygen as you focus so hard on the track ahead of you that you forget to breathe. For 2 minutes you are there in the car, eyes wide open to take in every pixel of the road ahead of you, ears pricked listening for the exact engine pitch to let you know it's time to change gear, fingers as sensitive as a venus fly trap feeling every detail the FFB is feeding them, every molecule of your body buzzing on the sensations being fed to it, all to deliver a lap. Then you cross the line and get another 2-minute joy-ride, destination "happy".

Of course, we all get our kicks in different ways and I'm not blind to the fact that not everybody feels the same way. I don't play on a console and my multiplayer experience has only been within a league I am a 'staff member' of. I also don't race against the AI. So if you want to try and tell me "I'm wrong", bear that in mind.

And finally, as a general note about all games, if you don't like playing a game, play something else, life's too short to be frustrated in your spare time (ahem!). Suggest ideas to the devs on where you think it can be improved and base your expectations on any purchase on what you know, not what you want, then you won't be disappointed :)
Amen ....

Back