Online word filter is driving me bonkers!

• Thread starter Tommy_861
  • 86 comments
It's annoying not so much because of it starring out because you can the context but the WHOLE message gets stars.

Never going to type up a message about LSD advice again. I just call it the diff now.

I was trying to say to the room what fun the 206 rally car is round the ring. Censored. Tested different words etc.

Turned out the number 206 is censored.

I know what you mean, I've gotten so frustrated with the filter most times I just give up. or just type nm...If it's a friend I'll just send a psn message.

It's not the 'gin' in engine either. That was my first guess so I tried it out and you can say it. you can say "ngin" or "ngine" or "engi," you just can't say "engin." Maybe it's worried about a very specific spelling of a slang term for aboriginal americans(I even tried what I thought was the most common form of that and it worked), maybe it's just stupid.

Here's an idea for PD: Make your silly filter any way you want, and then let us have the option to use it or not. That way people who are offended by other people acting like themselves or who are actually deluded enough to think that some harm is caused to children from reading words that they'll hear on the mic anyway can be spared from that horror. Then the rest of us can just act naturally and not be offended by having to have our conversations interrupted by *******. If you see somebody trying to "cheat" to get around the filter and it bugs you, you can report them. As it is now, obviously people are going to try to find ways to talk normally. It's really not complicated and it works just fine every other place I've seen it done this way. If there's the option, nobody has an excuse for defeating the filter. If there's not the option, people are forced to do it.

P.S.,O.T.: Somebody should tell PD's US office that the moronic daylight savings time has started in most of the US so my date and time settings are NOT incorrect, yours are.

Here's an idea for PD: Make your silly filter any way you want, and then let us have the option to use it or not. That way people who are offended by other people acting like themselves or who are actually deluded enough to think that some harm is caused to children from reading words that they'll hear on the mic anyway can be spared from that horror. Then the rest of us can just act naturally and not be offended by having to have our conversations interrupted by *******.

Amen to that.

P.S.,O.T.: Somebody should tell PD's US office that the moronic daylight savings time has started in most of the US so my date and time settings are NOT incorrect, yours are.

Just a heads up, I kept getting that message and I finally checked and realized that the PS3 time/date settings did not have DST enabled. Once I turned on DST and had "Set time/date from server" or whatever the message went away.

What about the word "proven"? I was trying to say the word proven online, and it wouldn't let me. I had to spell it out. P R O V E N for it to work!

It's not the 'gin' in engine either. That was my first guess so I tried it out and you can say it. you can say "ngin" or "ngine" or "engi," you just can't say "engin." Maybe it's worried about a very specific spelling of a slang term for aboriginal americans(I even tried what I thought was the most common form of that and it worked), maybe it's just stupid.

Here's an idea for PD: Make your silly filter any way you want, and then let us have the option to use it or not. That way people who are offended by other people acting like themselves or who are actually deluded enough to think that some harm is caused to children from reading words that they'll hear on the mic anyway can be spared from that horror. Then the rest of us can just act naturally and not be offended by having to have our conversations interrupted by *******. If you see somebody trying to "cheat" to get around the filter and it bugs you, you can report them. As it is now, obviously people are going to try to find ways to talk normally. It's really not complicated and it works just fine every other place I've seen it done this way. If there's the option, nobody has an excuse for defeating the filter. If there's not the option, people are forced to do it.

I believe that it's censored cause it's a variant of Injin:ouch:

Also it's not PD's fault for this, Sony is the one in charge of the censoring and time errors:irked:

It is insane, i tried to write "my rx8 can do 200 mph" and it blocked me... took me 20 minutes to figure out what i'd done wrong

How about a "Hi! I am over eighteen and I want to be able to type both LSD and Engine in a racing game without being censored!"-box to remove them completely?

Speaking a different language = no-NO as well. Swedish? Forgetaboutit! (That would be censored, I know.)

Was talking to an Aberdeen fan last nyt, for some reason, and I tried to say I had been to their stadium "Pittodrie" and that word is banned. At first I found this funny because I can say my teams stadium name, but why not Aberdeens?

I believe "engine" is censored because it's a derogatory french word for the male genitalia. They did go through all the common languages and picked up all the so called "bad words" and even if you are typing in english or any language, they'll censor it out. Also, words contained within words get you censored. So if you typed "shuttlecock" for example, assuming you were having a legitmate conversation about badminton...lol...it can be thrown out. I read in another thread that the word "basement" is censored because it contains the word "semen".

Political correctness creeping into the internet and online gaming...what is the world coming to??!!

It has dual meaning, the meaning in Japan it means mountain warrior, little bit different than what the Brits use it for

Oh for crying out loud... stop with the 'Brits' nonsense, it's 10 or more islands, different languages, several parliaments, different cultures and so on - not one place :D

Anyway, 'Pajero' isn't a word in English or any of the other languages spoken in 'Britain'. It's a Spanish slang term for an onanist. The English equivalent begins with a W and would earn me a ban ;)

Makes me laugh watching Pajeros park :)

I had a B-Spec driver Fukasawa, someone commented on him and it became ***asawa.

For consistency they should change this name in the game as well, at least you know what someone is talking about.

You can say your a bender on it though:) no but seriously it needs to be changed because I can't even you the term hot lap!

I believe "engine" is censored because it's a derogatory french word for the male genitalia. They did go through all the common languages and picked up all the so called "bad words" and even if you are typing in english or any language, they'll censor it out. Also, words contained within words get you censored. So if you typed "shuttlecock" for example, assuming you were having a legitmate conversation about badminton...lol...it can be thrown out. I read in another thread that the word "basement" is censored because it contains the word "semen".

Political correctness creeping into the internet and online gaming...what is the world coming to??!!

Political correctness to a certain degree is I guess unavoidable without age restrictions, etc. yet this system of including all common languages makes it a pain in the 🤬.
What doesn't really help is that you only find out using an apparant no-go word when you see your whole text being censored (would be more helpful if that specific word would be blocked whilst writing) which doesn't make clear which word can't be used and additionally makes you appear like an angry foulmouth, especially when you try to correct it and unwittingly use another Uzbekian (or whatever) swearword....
Yet when naming your online lobby (at least until very recently) you're apparantly free to use whatever racist slur (I've unfortunately seen enough of them) you want.

I believe "engine" is censored because it's a derogatory french word for the male genitalia.

Well, ''engin'' is, and its only that part of the word that is blocked.

I still think makes no sense to block that word since I only though about that meaning after reading your post. Also, the non-sex related meaning of that word is much much more commonly used than the sex related meaning.

Also, I just tried and out of the 4 most commonly used French-Canadian swear words, only one was blocked.

Back