Onrush Beta Kicks Off Next Weekend, May 17–20

Heres an odd one. People clearly keep asking for arcade titles but one such as this comes along and there is little hype or conversation about it. Thats a shame I think.

Heres an odd one. People clearly keep asking for arcade titles but one such as this comes along and there is little hype or conversation about it. Thats a shame I think.

I think there was a fair amount of hype when it was first announced, but it died fast when it became more clear that it was more of a "drive around in a pack and wreck each other" game and not really a racing game. I think if they had added some car combat elements it would have some more hype.

Yep, it's an odd site. I'm happy that a Motorstormesque game by the same people (largely) is almost here. Elsewhere there is a lot more buzz about this, believe me.

Okay, so I've been playing for half an hour and I barely have any idea what the hell is going on.
I'm not really sure how points are calculated. I don't know how to activate the supposedly three different skills each vehicle possess (one of them seems to be tied to rush activation, but I'm not sure about the others). I don't know why I can change vehicle after being taken down and why their rush meter supposedly remains at a level I didn't charge them up to. And I don't know why I'm still stuck at the first level of superstar practice even though my AI team has won the three times I've tried it.

So far it feels like running mindlessly around on a vaguely circular track with no reason to ever use the brake (this game could have done with auto-throttle so I don't have to hold down the throttle 100% of the time - but at least I could remap it to L2 instead of R2 to spare my overworked right wrist, sadly I couldn't remap to the right stick as I usually prefer in racing games played with a controller), and not really a great deal of feedback when hitting anything or landing from a jump.

Two camera views, near and far 3rd person, although to be fair I don't think I would find hood view, cockpit view suitable for whatever type of game this is.

It's too early for me to say if I might like the game because so far I still need to figure out what the hell it is and what I'm supposed to do (aside from just trying to hit as many enemy cars as possible, and not hit any trees or rocks).

Well, I figured out the basics. Looks like two of the vehicle "skills" are mostly ways to gain more boost and are not actually activated with a button. The score system is also starting to make sense.
I'm still not sure why only the first map seems to be available in the practice mode, but at least I've been having significantly more fun in quick play multiplayer. Although in six or so rounds in the same lobby I have unfortunately only seen two of the four tracks I believe are supposed to be in the beta?
(Edit: Seems like I had misread something, two tracks and two modes in the beta, all of which I've seen.)

Also, how come some players in the lobbies have seemingly managed to customize their vehicles while I can't find any options anywhere to customize vehicles, drivers or even the player icon?
A feature limited to those on pre-order beta?

I agree, I was the same thinking this before playing it and after the first race I thought :eek: it seems like too much going on! After a few races you really get in to it :mad: and want to take down the online guy that took you down! Basically all rules go out the window for racing games, it is just full on arcade action! I think the full game will have many more modes and updates by the sound of it and I think it will slowly grow on me.👍 (Photo mode is good as well)

Really don't know what to say.. Gameplay, graphics, audio all very good.

Just doesn't interest me. Driving around a track smashing into cars.. This kind of game would be the most fun on splitscreen but nowadays it's too much to ask.

Maybe if they'd make a "power up racing" DLC/gamemode I'd be interested. Right now - no thanks.

Well, I figured out the basics. Looks like two of the vehicle "skills" are mostly ways to gain more boost and are not actually activated with a button. The score system is also starting to make sense.
I'm still not sure why only the first map seems to be available in the practice mode, but at least I've been having significantly more fun in quick play multiplayer. Although in six or so rounds in the same lobby I have unfortunately only seen two of the four tracks I believe are supposed to be in the beta?
(Edit: Seems like I had misread something, two tracks and two modes in the beta, all of which I've seen.)

Also, how come some players in the lobbies have seemingly managed to customize their vehicles while I can't find any options anywhere to customize vehicles, drivers or even the player icon?
A feature limited to those on pre-order beta?
Players get a randomly selected load out on use of the beta. There's no way to customize your gear at the moment.

Some other car classes also pop up at times, which leads me to believe in Quick Play the CPU makes up for smaller lobbies. Unsure how I feel about that, truth be told.

It's been a while since I've been this uncertain about whether I'll buy a game or not. I did have a lot of fun with it last night after the first 45 minutes of confusion, but it's definitely not a racing game in any traditional sense and it doesn't feel as skill based as an online shooter. Although that might change a bit with practice and the different roles of the vehicles.

I'm not sure about longevity, although if it has a decent amount of tracks (I think I read something about 12 tracks/environments in the full game?) and all the four game modes are fun, then I guess it should probably feel like it's worth the money.
Customization and unlocks are also always a fairly substantial motivator for me.

Players get a randomly selected load out on use of the beta. There's no way to customize your gear at the moment.

Some other car classes also pop up at times, which leads me to believe in Quick Play the CPU makes up for smaller lobbies. Unsure how I feel about that, truth be told.
The lobby system is 12x12 with half being AI always, at least according to the Codies blog.

So is this an online type of game them, is there a normal single player mode? Wont be getting it if theres no single player.

There's a practice mode that's supposedly a full fledged campaign with almost a hundred events. But it's definitely a game aimed primarily at online play, made extra obvious at the end of "races" where the players with the most noteworthy achievements are shown in win poses straight out of competitive shooters like Overwatch and recent CoD games.

The two new tracks are definitely more fun - although Blast Pit was a bit of a friendly fire mess on the countdown mode with two many narrow passage. Still fun though.
The beach track is really cool.

Having this much fun with a third of the tracks and half the cars from the full package, I think I'll feel it's worth the money. Particularly if they'll follow through with DLC content (which Evolution Studios obviously had a fantastic track record for with DriveClub, but which Codemasters has been pretty awful with).
And the descriptions of the missing cars on the web site make it sound like there are a couple there that could turn out to be my favourites.

The two new tracks are definitely more fun - although Blast Pit was a bit of a friendly fire mess on the countdown mode with two many narrow passage. Still fun though.
The beach track is really cool.

Having this much fun with a third of the tracks and half the cars from the full package, I think I'll feel it's worth the money. Particularly if they'll follow through with DLC content (which Evolution Studios obviously had a fantastic track record for with DriveClub, but which Codemasters has been pretty awful with).
And the descriptions of the missing cars on the web site make it sound like there are a couple there that could turn out to be my favourites.
Yeah, for me I'm sold on what I've played. Now it comes down to I) How good the full package is and how well thought through it is. I want full statistical blowouts like Driveclub and a competitive mode that really encourages play. II) Post-release support. It isn't Codies strong suit yet it's arguably Evolution's biggest contribution to gaming in recent times.

I'm sold on the concept. OnRush has exceeded my expectations with a well thought out (if hard to grasp initially) concept. I just want to see how Codies can turn this... divisive reception into a game that really engages the audience who are onboard.

The beta is also a 5-weeks old build according to the team, so netplay is much more improved in the release version.

Back