other games like dreamcast spirit of speed 1937?

• Thread starter takatasan
  • 6 comments
Canada
Canada
brant2788
Im looking for any flying or train sim games that are similar to spirit of speed that was on the dreamcast where you would fly or pilot vintage plains or trains. If anyone knows of any please let me know.

You could try modding Microsoft Flight Simulator or Train Simulator, provided your computer has the minimum requirements for either. No guarantees that your computer will remain virus-free, though.

Rise of Flight is a WWI combat flight sim, DCS World has some WWII plane modules, War Thunder is a WWII to Cold War flight and tank game... Apart from that there is a 1937 Grand Prix mod for rFactor. That's all the vintage vehicle game/sims from the pre-'60s era I've played.

Oddly I was checking that game out just yesterday, the last under the much-maligned LJN banner, and not too great by all accounts. You may like Grand Prix Legends, not tried it myself but videos on Youtube look good. As for other vehicles, I am sure they are around. I would also be interested in other games themed around vintage planes if anyone has suggestions? Will check Neema's out also :)

I was also looking for some open world flight type games, kind of like what you have in GTA 5. I always loved the flying in that game i just wish they had some older planes. I also played flight simulator 2004 that had some vintage planes .

Last edited:
I was also looking for some open world flight type games, kind of like what you have in GTA 5. I always loved the flying in that game i just wish they had some older planes. I also played flight simulator 2004 that had some vintage planes .
Flight simulator X steam edition is on sale at the moment £6 in the uk. It supports freeware mods and there will be tonnes of vintage planes out there on mod sites.

EDIT: Got this from a quick google search, claims to have over 600 vintage aircraft models but some may be duplicates by different people.
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/95/fsx-historic-vintage-aircraft/

Last edited:
DCS World has a free P-51D Mustang trainer plane (I've forgotten what it's called, maybe the TF-51?) that you can fly in an open world mode, so maybe check that out but you'll need a pretty good PC. But it's a free game so there's no harm in trying.

IL-2 Sturmovik and Wings of Prey are other WWII sims you can try, Wings of Prey is the precursor to War Thunder and although it's not free, you will at least get a load of planes to fly from the start and there's a free flight mode too (which I don't think WT has). IL-2 is Russian-centric, too, so you get some planes you won't see often elsewhere.

Back