PC2 on PS5

• Thread starter hawkeyez
  • 55 comments
Canada
Canada
the-1st-hawkeyez
I don’t know if it’s my imagination but I faintly remember PC2 cars looking a lot better than it does. I used to play it on PS4. I remember getting my PS5 and downloading it, and I thought it looked much better but now it just seems so grainy. I feel like maybe I’m missing a setting, the graphics can’t be that jagged can they?

Maybe I’m just used of GT7 now idk. GT7 looks great. ACC looks good. Project Cars 2 looks bleh.

Is there maybe a PS5 version?

Are you in performance mode? There’s three graphics modes in PC2; Performance, Resolution and Graphics
I think Performance only runs at something like 1080p on PS4 (PC2 isn’t natively supported by PS5)

Resolution mode is the one to use on big screen 4k TVs. The game outputs at its maximum 1440p then which doesn't look too bad. Graphics mode adds a few more details but doesn't perhaps look so good when expanded to full screen.

As Mirai says it's not really supported on PS5. I have trouble with contrast in that at times areas of the screen appear much too dark and murky. I've tried switching off HDR and it helps a little but not entirely. Depending on the track conditions set it can make some races very difficult which is a shame.

Somehow I don't think we'll be getting a patch anytime soon! 😉

Resolution mode is the one to use on big screen 4k TVs. The game outputs at its maximum 1440p then which doesn't look too bad. Graphics mode adds a few more details but doesn't perhaps look so good when expanded to full screen.

As Mirai says it's not really supported on PS5. I have trouble with contrast in that at times areas of the screen appear much too dark and murky. I've tried switching off HDR and it helps a little but not entirely. Depending on the track conditions set it can make some races very difficult which is a shame.

Yeah thanks, I chose resolution mode from the start but meh, I know they won’t be updating it. I can see good enough, probably stop playing it altogether just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something perhaps somewhere in PS settings but that didn’t make sense because other games look good. Thanks.

I've heard a few people saying that PC2 doesn't work particularly well on the PS5. There's a thread about it on their forums I think. Much better on XBSX. It's a shame because I'd like to give it another go on PS5 but it doesn't sound particularly worthwhile.

well it sure doesn’t look appealing. haha

I wish I could pull features from each of the main three, gt7, pc2 and acc To make one ultimate game. They all have pros and cons. I enjoy the playability of gt7 and most of it overall but the other two have some really good features. I think acc is just a little too sim for me, pc2 does have a nice balance of the two but I think graphics overall are the worst. Was good on ps4 at the time though.

GT7 for its its graphics, car selection and ability to create liveries and attention to detail, PC2 for its customizable HUD and sounds (although they’re a bit distorted) ACC for its radar and force feedback effects. I have to say for overall gaming and having fun while still maintaining a somewhat realistic feel goes to GT7 there’s just so many little things that bug me with that game that make you go, why? Why did you do it that way and why is this like that? Oh well, can’t make suggestions so it just is what it is. I’m really looking forward to the GTR Revival.

I love PC2 but even I'll admit ACC has much better sounds.

It's a shame something is up with it looking off on PS5 especially as the PS5 is supposed to have better AA than the SX, on the SX in resolution mode the game looks crisp on a 55" samsung tv, saying that it didn't look to bad on the 1X either.

Graphically it looks fine to me on my 4k monitor. As mentioned above it's just the contrast problem that's annoying. Tricky to see the track at times. Strangely PC3 doesn't suffer from that. Later game I suppose.

Yeah I think I just got used of GT7. I did use to play with a controller so I was sitting a lot further back. It’s a 4K curved Samsung tv, it has a good picture. But yeah, high contrast, a bit jagged looking. I will say I like the PC2 car sounds, but I always sit on the rev limiter and I think that’s because they have a distorted sound. I’m really digging ACC radar though, that’s the best one yet.

the only way they can make it better, is if when somebody is beside you that side of the screen glows yellow, then orange then red. It would only have to be like an inch of the screen. It would keep your lone of sight clear but you could still see that, and for the love of god gt7 just let us have a rear view mirror in cockpit view like you can do in PC2.

Anyway I’ve got PC2 dialled in about as much as I can get it, I’ll probably racd it some more, I think once you’re racing the lower than GT7 graphics will just sort of disappear.

Turn off crepuscular rays, they look crap on console & nothing like the pc version or pc1 for that matter, also turn off bloom it adds a shimmering effect around lights & reflections, this may clean up your image a little.

Failing that just set the weather to overcast to remove all light shimmering effects :)

I presume you're running in game mode on your tv settings? This can impact image quality slightly as it turns off all your tvs picture enhancing stuff but the lower input lag is worth it imo.

Last edited:
Turn off crepuscular rays, they look crap on console & nothing like the pc version or pc1 for that matter, also turn off bloom it adds a shimmering effect around lights & reflections, this may clean up your image a little.
Yeah I finally resorted to shutting all of that off and it made quite the difference, to where it’s drive-able now. It does clean up the image.

one think I noticed, I can’t shut the dirty windshield off, I’m sure there’s a setting and I turned it off but it doesn’t really affect it.

And yeah, I’ve seen some video on YouTube of high end pc’s running PC2 and it does look awesome. Much much better.

Yeah I finally resorted to shutting all of that off and it made quite the difference, to where it’s drive-able now. It does clean up the image.

one think I noticed, I can’t shut the dirty windshield off, I’m sure there’s a setting and I turned it off but it doesn’t really affect it.

And yeah, I’ve seen some video on YouTube of high end pc’s running PC2 and it does look awesome. Much much better.
The dirt on camera option only effects anything driving outside of cockpit, same as rain drops. It doesn't change the windscreen effects.

Also not sure if anyone knows this but if you turn on the show helmet effect (not helmet cam) it muffles the sound slightly to give the effect of wearing a helmet.

Last edited:

I have this contrast issue on PS5 as well. Mostly happens in rain and or fog. I just turn up the brightness in game or on my tv. Loading times have improved on PS5 though and framerate is more stable too.

Downloaded PC2 on the PS5 because I wanted to try it with my wheel - compared it back to back with it running on XSX and to my eyes it looks way cleaner on the XSX. It’s a shame, the colours, contrast etc just look off on the PS5. Have deleted it pretty quick.

Last edited:
Thing is, even with its issues on PS5, it’s still by far the best all round racing game for the PlayStation. Sure, GT7 LOOKS great, but it’s a miserable grindfest and a pinball game online. ACC is very nice, but only two car classes and far fewer tracks? Please!

PC2 is still my daily racer, and so far there’s nothing coming out for PS with the car and track choices, and the attention to detail. GT7’s pit stops are a joke, it’s rallycross is very limited and lacks joker laps, you have to grind miserable races for DAYS to be able to go out and race some classic race cars that are available on Day1 on PC2. PC2’s tracks include some great classic tracks like vintage Spa, Silverstone, LeMans (DLC) and Rouen.

If you’re not 100% focused on GT3 racing, PC2 is still the game to play, IMHO…

Thing is, even with its issues on PS5, it’s still by far the best all round racing game for the PlayStation. Sure, GT7 LOOKS great, but it’s a miserable grindfest and a pinball game online. ACC is very nice, but only two car classes and far fewer tracks? Please!

PC2 is still my daily racer, and so far there’s nothing coming out for PS with the car and track choices, and the attention to detail. GT7’s pit stops are a joke, it’s rallycross is very limited and lacks joker laps, you have to grind miserable races for DAYS to be able to go out and race some classic race cars that are available on Day1 on PC2. PC2’s tracks include some great classic tracks like vintage Spa, Silverstone, LeMans (DLC) and Rouen.

If you’re not 100% focused on GT3 racing, PC2 is still the game to play, IMHO…
I’m wondering if it’s the PS5 and 4K tv because I don’t remember it looking so bad. But again it might be hard to go back to after playing GT7. ACC looks almost on par with GT7, actually it’s not so saturated it almost looks better in that sense. PC2 I’d have to avoid Monza it’s a blocky mess.

I may boot it up again and try resetting everything and tweak again. I agree it’s got way more tracks, I do like the cars but I like the cars in GT7 too. I’m finally close to having all the ones I want. I have good races online for the most part but I usually host and just kick the pin ballers.

Looking forward to AC2 and GTR Revival. I heard sometime in 2024 they’ll be released.

I’m wondering if it’s the PS5 and 4K tv because I don’t remember it looking so bad. But again it might be hard to
I think it's just the game seeing and using the PS5's graphics chip(s) incorrectly. Of course it wasn't around when the game came out. I've tried turning off HDR and switching other settings about (in-game and PS5) but it doesn't really improve anything.

If anyone has found a fix for the PS5 contrast issue I'd be keen to hear about it.

I'd definitely recommend resolution mode if playing on a large screen, especially if you're sitting close with your wheel setup, very different from laying on the sofa from a distance with a controller.

Do you guys use the in game hdr collaboration or adjust the in game gamma settings to see if it helps?

Do you have a option in the ps5 menu to use 4.2.2 instead of 4.4.4 hdr just incase that's an issue?

Could it be hdmi black levels not being recognised when on auto, maybe try switching between normal or low to see if it helps.

Do you use the post processing setting in the graphics option? Could this be making it look odd.

Do you guys use the in game hdr collaboration or adjust the in game gamma settings to see if it helps?
Yep, tried both and nope, not much difference. In fact the HDR slider is very odd. The box you have to match only appears towards the far left.
Do you have a option in the ps5 menu to use 4.2.2 instead of 4.4.4 hdr just incase that's an issue?
No it doesn't have that option.
Could it be hdmi black levels not being recognised when on auto, maybe try switching between normal or low to see if it helps.
No black levels, but I've tried messing about with the deep colour setting but still no good.
Do you use the post processing setting in the graphics option? Could this be making it look odd.
Again I've tried that without any success.

Most of the time when using suitable light settings it doesn't look too bad. But it can get like this...

In sunshine.
18993524d5882-screenshotUrl.jpg

In shade.
1899352611367-screenshotUrl.jpg

Add a bit of rain or darkness and it looks worse!

However on a brighter note. I've now made some further adjustments to my settings (wheel and in-game) and it is now feeling much better. So that's good.

However on a brighter note. I've now made some further adjustments to my settings (wheel and in-game) and it is now feeling much better. So that's good.
Surprisingly it took me a long time to get my wheel setup and it still did it feels great. They’re so cryptic with their descriptions haha. I’ve experienced a lot of people like to only race at high noon on PC2 and I’m sure that’s why. I love the dynamic of GT7 I rarely race at high noon and I leave weather on random always.

Surprisingly it took me a long time to get my wheel setup and it still did it feels great. They’re so cryptic with their descriptions haha. I’ve experienced a lot of people like to only race at high noon on PC2 and I’m sure that’s why. I love the dynamic of GT7 I rarely race at high noon and I leave weather on random always.
Light fog & rain with the sun just above the tree line is a good example of how our British summer is going atm.

In fact just choose thunderstorm because it's absolutely chucking it down outside my house right now.

Another thing to try @IfAndOr, in your TV settings do you have colour range set to native or auto? From what I read native uses the TV colour engine & auto uses your chosen device inputs natural colour settings.

Last edited:
Another thing to try @IfAndOr, in your TV settings do you have colour range set to native or auto?
No TV, it's a monitor so doesn't have any of that TV malarkey. Even on its straight RGB setting it's still the same. In fact all other games (including PC3) are just fine. Unfortunately it's just seems to be PC2 that's affected by this contrast thingy.

I never had any issues with PC2 but I neve played on the PS4 so I don't have that frame of reference

To be fair, after comparing PC2 on XSX and PS5 I don’t actually think there’s much, if any, difference in the actual visuals. I think I was just used to GT7 so my first reaction seeing PC2 running on the PS5 was UGH when you’ve got to remember that it’s a six year old game or something that was never a real looker in the first place. Adjusting the settings and brightness etc seems to remove most of the contrast issues and it can get quite dull on a PS4 or Xbox too, especially the trackside marker boards etc, I noticed that a long time back.

I haven’t yet heard any reason to put up with the graphics difficulties. Nothing game changing for sure. Framerate can’t be increased significantly, FFB seems to be about the same from what I’ve read. There’s probably a good case for going out and snapping up a used PS4Pro just for PC2… I’ve seen those under $200. Maybe it’s worth it?

Base PS4 > base Xbox One
Xbox One X > PS4 Pro

definitely in the case of PC2, I think the Xbox One X is the one to go for. It’s the best console version of the game. It’s much cleaner looking, it has a much more stable frame rate with very few if any micro stutters in the second half of a long race (happens a lot in other versions), less bugs and issues with the physics going wonky. If I was looking to buy a console just for this game I’d definitely be looking for an XB1X.

Back