PCARS first impressions!

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 771 comments
I think it's console hangover. People expect to just hop into every car and near instantaneously be able to drive every car at the limit, which is something you can do with most cars on most console games with a little practice and very little tweaking. I remember how excited I was to drive the new classic Ferraris in GT6. Beautiful car models on the old PS3, old skinny tires, very forgiving slip angles, shouldn't be anywhere near as quick as a modern cars with similar specs but so much fun to drive. I also remember how disappointed I was when the car drove pretty much the same as every other car, with the same grip and lateral g's as modern cars on the same compound. That's what people are used to though. A 71' Ferrari, feels like an 84' Lamborghini, feels like a 92' NSX, feels like an 03' RX8, with only minor variations here and there for weight distribution. In reality they would all have much different rubber and feel completely different on the track, at the limit.
That's one of the main downside with 'accessible simulators' such as Gran Turismo; you're missing out on many of the nuances of the physics that certain cars possess and in turn making them unique. Hence, why I also believe many are in for a rude awakening, followed by a tough sobering up period. Though, the controller settings themselves should've been handled better.

I gotta admit my second and third impressions of the game are a lot better than my first impression. Still waiting for the anti tank slapper patch but even crawling around the track is fun in the rain, I even managed to win a couple of career races after a few (dozen) restarts.

Edited to add: I'm absolutely fine with the sound and visuals of this game and grateful for the chance to join the revolution without the need for an additional PS4 or gaming PC on top of my Xbone.

Last edited:
Impressions, just signed up for my first career race. Took to the Donnington park National and went to practice, omg the Clio is one over steering monster. Interestingly enough it drives quite fine at Brands Hatch in it's stock out of the box form. Seeing as I could not traverse the first stretch without gobs of lift off oversteer, I backed out and went to practice mode in the game because my settings were not being saved in Career mode(automatically reset but it actually saved but defaults when you go back to the pits). Anyway, I spent some time reading the descriptions in the tuning menus since oversteering cars usually has to do with sway bars, damper bound and rebound and the lift off oversteer LSD is needed. So spent like 1 hour tuning the car for one Donnington Park, so by the time I am comfortable with the car I just logged 14 straight laps tuning out that oversteer. What's interesting is tire temps are very important as I had to lower the rear tires pressure to fight a touch of that oversteer.
Now my Clio is almost ready for action, I was grinning like and idiot after tuning it for one track. The last time I felt like this I was playing GT3 on PS2...yea that long ago. I can tell that I will be doing a load of tuning as many of the GT3 cars are tuned for smooth courses as they bottom out a lot in default set up. This game is going to be a time suck, and I am happy about it. This game is deep, very deep. One size fits all does not apply in this game, you have to tune and tailor to suit your abilities and the course as well. You would have thought the Clio was twitchy but it was reacting to the course with it's switchbacks and undulations which would upset any car tuned loosely. Take your time in this game, you will not be rewarded for rushing, learn and understand about the dynamics of vehicles this game takes off the kid gloves and treats you like you are a fresh and eager to learn adult. Give it time you'll be rewarded.

Impressions, just signed up for my first career race. Took to the Donnington park National and went to practice, omg the Clio is one over steering monster. Interestingly enough it drives quite fine at Brands Hatch in it's stock out of the box form. Seeing as I could not traverse the first stretch without gobs of lift off oversteer, I backed out and went to practice mode in the game because my settings were not being saved in Career mode(automatically reset but it actually saved but defaults when you go back to the pits). Anyway, I spent some time reading the descriptions in the tuning menus since oversteering cars usually has to do with sway bars, damper bound and rebound and the lift off oversteer LSD is needed. So spent like 1 hour tuning the car for one Donnington Park, so by the time I am comfortable with the car I just logged 14 straight laps tuning out that oversteer. What's interesting is tire temps are very important as I had to lower the rear tires pressure to fight a touch of that oversteer.
Now my Clio is almost ready for action, I was grinning like and idiot after tuning it for one track. The last time I felt like this I was playing GT3 on PS2...yea that long ago. I can tell that I will be doing a load of tuning as many of the GT3 cars are tuned for smooth courses as they bottom out a lot in default set up. This game is going to be a time suck, and I am happy about it. This game is deep, very deep. One size fits all does not apply in this game, you have to tune and tailor to suit your abilities and the course as well. You would have thought the Clio was twitchy but it was reacting to the course with it's switchbacks and undulations which would upset any car tuned loosely. Take your time in this game, you will not be rewarded for rushing, learn and understand about the dynamics of vehicles this game takes off the kid gloves and treats you like you are a fresh and eager to learn adult. Give it time you'll be rewarded.
Hear hear, i guess that's were all those "OMG this POS handling is terrible, i can't keep the car straight" reactions come from. The pad already makes things a bit more difficult to control and a lot of the cars need setup work before they are comfortable to drive, but that's the nice thing like you describe above :)

Reporting back as promised! Same again, community clio event around Brands Hatch. Took me longer this time and did have to make some changes to the controller settings but after that pretty quickly, ten laps or so, I was within half a second of my wheel time. So out of the box on XBone with the pad it's not as good as out of the box on PS4 on the pad. And it's harder on XBone with the pad. You really have to be very careful with all your inputs. However, that is not to say it's impossible, just more difficult and I'm sure with more tweaking of the controller settings I could get it feeling just so.

Since I wasn't using my wheel I could also play on my 4K tv for the first time, usually I play on the 1080p tv that is attached to my rig, and have to say your comments about the graphics are puzzling. It looked very good. Not quite on a par with the PS4 version and obviously nowhere near how it looks on PC. But easily as good as FM5 and with changing weather and time of day it knocks it out of the park compared to FM5.

So I stick my previous impression even with a pad. This is easily the best racer on console. Has a fantastic nuanced physics model with beautiful graphics and many things we have been dreaming about seeing on console for years. SMS should be hugely congratulated on taking the huge leap of faith with the financial model and bringing a game like this to console.

To get the most out of this game you need a wheel. The game deserves a wheel. No matter how much they improve the controls with the pad they will never get it anywhere close to how good it feels with a decent ffb wheel. The game is that good and that advanced that if you don't use a wheel you really are missing out. It's not Forza or GT, not having wheel doesn't make a great deal of difference in those games. I can use both control methods and get the same results. However, with a game and handling model this good you owe it to yourself to get a wheel.

Oh it is HARD on the controller believe me when I tell you that. I was up till 4:30 in the morning on a Sunday night fiddling around with the controller settings and trying out different cars in different tracks/weather conditions and have err.. "stumbled upon" some interesting facts.

First of all, it is...ridiculous how much the game forces you to be intricate with inputs and just FOCUS on nothing but the driving... which is, a very good thing actually (Jeremy Clarkson voice + nod).

Try input mode 3 for starters and tweak according to taste. I think that input mode is generally a good start to rectify the twitchy over-corrective pad control.

Visuals.. yes, I was a bit harsh I'll admit being almost completely spoiled rotten by the likes of FM5 and Hor 2. PCARS' visuals are decent, they remind me of FM4 visuals upped to a really good resolution + solid AA, though PCARS' lighting is really good. The weather and night driving effects do please the eye as well as the senses. I was just disappointed initially with how dull Lemans or Laguna for instance looked, compared to their FM5 counterparts. But then again, a crowd-funded project... not bad at all. The details on the cars are impressive and the cockpit views and details, pretty good. Wish there was no tearing, frame hiccups and slowdowns (not severe though) but mehh, can't have it all. I notice a wierd filter around the track boundaries sometimes like a blurry lod.. wish they'd iron that out.

I will also go on record to admit that the physics model is much deeper than what I've experienced on consoles. It's fair to say that T10 does have real competition on their hands now, not visuals or audio-wise, but physics for sure.

You are not leaving me much choice here and I AM considering getting a wheel. Though my gaming space isn't very spacious and setting it up properly may be an issue.

I think it's console hangover. People expect to just hop into every car and near instantaneously be able to drive every car at the limit, which is something you can do with most cars on most console games with a little practice and very little tweaking. I remember how excited I was to drive the new classic Ferraris in GT6. Beautiful car models on the old PS3, old skinny tires, very forgiving slip angles, shouldn't be anywhere near as quick as a modern cars with similar specs but so much fun to drive. I also remember how disappointed I was when the car drove pretty much the same as every other car, with the same grip and lateral g's as modern cars on the same compound. That's what people are used to though. A 71' Ferrari, feels like an 84' Lamborghini, feels like a 92' NSX, feels like an 03' RX8, with only minor variations here and there for weight distribution. In reality they would all have much different rubber and feel completely different on the track, at the limit.

Now there's nothing wrong with that approach, it works well for a lot of people and for many people, including me for a long time, it is enough to scratch their racing itch. But in a game like Project Cars, you simply need to adjust your mindset when you approach a true simulator otherwise you're going to be sorely disappointed. Assetto Corsa was the same for me, it took me a full two weeks to fully adjust to what was happening with the cars and gather up some semblance of speed, and really de-program myself from "driving simulator" to "racing simulator".

You're right, you're absolutely right. There's no question about it, and I am on that boat too.

I shall take heed to your advice and report back. (y)

:D

VXR
I don't think it's fair to be outright dismissive of people saying their Xbox controller doesn't work. For me it's like the slightest touch on the analogue causes the car to veer wildly, as if you were driving and gave the car a violent, half rotation on the wheel. It is not at all working and I'm not exaggerating. I'll get a video up tonight to show just how bad it is for me.

Yeah, I know right? People with wheels who keep saying how perfect the game is for them (ahem) write off us controller users, when we have a thing or two to complain about. Your concerns are perfectly legit. The game should at least have come with a printed or online manual.

I get exactly what you're saying, this is what pissed me off so much after I excitedly got the game. Anyhow, it appears to me there might not have been enough research on SMS's part regarding the out-the-box X1 controller settings.

Here's a fix: use input mode 3, keep steering deadzone above 30, speed sensitivity (which is what we call SSS in GT and Forza) between 50 and 80 to suit preference and don't change any of the other settings, unless you absolutely have to. And keep controller sensitivity filter a little high to begin with, like say, 50 or 60 and then dial it down right before the point of control becoming twitchy again.

I hope this makes sense and helps you enjoy it on the pad. Also scroll up or go to the previous two pages; @Johnnypenso left two links which you'll find quite useful. 👍

You are right. Some users have this problem, some don't. From what I heard, updating the controller firmware + start PCars with a fresh save game should bring the twitchy sensitivity back to a normal range which then can be tuned further. The SMS patch is supposed to be improving the overall controller feel, with the non buggy stick sens. as the baseline.

Okay, my controller is updated but how would clearing Local Saved Games help with the control? Can't you just adjust settings directly from the options (with desirable results) instead of deleting the save or for example, reinstalling the game?

When do you think that patch is coming out?

The only problem I'm having is horrible frame rates :( I tried reducing the number of cars to 16 and it was still pretty bad, it seems as some tracks have worse frame rates although oddly it doesn't seem to be related to the size of the track. XBO here.

Really? Well.. I haven't played the game yet with a full grid doing a lot of testing in practice mode. Though I did do one race with max number of cars which hovers somewhere between 25 and 29? Not sure, though I have noticed minor slowdowns and tearing. Not to the extent you're describing. Will do a stress test soon in weather and max grid on a detail-rich track to see how it fares.

Report back then captain!

Sadly no, we just get the option to turn off some visual effects like bloom and lens flare. I've heard turning them off won't make a noticeable difference in the frame rate.

Hey can you tell me what Vigentte does?

That's one of the main downside with 'accessible simulators' such as Gran Turismo; you're missing out on many of the nuances of the physics that certain cars possess and in turn making them unique. Hence, why I also believe many are in for a rude awakening, followed by a tough sobering up period. Though, the controller settings themselves should've been handled better.

You're right on all counts, there's no denying it: I'm far too used to the Forza/GT pick up and play model. This was quite the rude awakening and I might give it another chance before swapping it in for COD AW. The controller settings, yes.. they could have outlined detailed descriptions in the game menu or a manual of some kind. Input mode 3 generally dials down the twitchiness a lot and then you can adjust a few settings for different cars. Sadly, at the moment, I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all setting/tweak on the controller that works well for every car.

Tire pressures and steering ratio/angle along with suspension and LSD can be used to better suit your preferences. There's talk of the patch.. how it's going to fix the handling and make it (probably) as good as the PS4 pad. You know when its arriving?

I gotta admit my second and third impressions of the game are a lot better than my first impression. Still waiting for the anti tank slapper patch but even crawling around the track is fun in the rain, I even managed to win a couple of career races after a few (dozen) restarts.

Edited to add: I'm absolutely fine with the sound and visuals of this game and grateful for the chance to join the revolution without the need for an additional PS4 or gaming PC on top of my Xbone.

The tank-slapper can be tamed to some degree with input mode three and adjusting these parameters to suit your driving style:

* speed sensitivity
* controller sensitivity filter
* steering deadone

I would not recommend changing any of the other settings. Refer to the two links Johnnypenso left a page or two back in the thread. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, my controller is updated but how would clearing Local Saved Games help with the control? Can't you just adjust settings directly from the options (with desirable results) instead of deleting the save or for example, reinstalling the game?

When do you think that patch is coming out?

Resetting your controller options most probably is enough. I suggested the profile delete only to make sure no other factors are influencing the controller behavior. I don't know how long MS needs to approve the hot-fix. Anything more than 2-3 days from now would be a little too long for my taste.

EDIT: I use a 360 controller on PC atm. Steam already has got the hot-fix and i got a grip on the controller handling with these settings:

2015-05-18_00001.jpg
2015-05-18_00002.jpg

Normally i'm a Wheel user and was not the biggest fan of the controller handling. With these settings + ABS and TC im able to handle any car pretty well and can clock in decent, stable lap times.

Last edited:
Resetting your controller options most probably is enough. I suggested the profile delete only to make sure no other factors are influencing the controller behavior. I don't know how long MS needs to approve the hot-fix. Anything more than 2-3 days from now would be a little too long for my taste.

EDIT: I use a 360 controller on PC atm. Steam already has got the hot-fix and i got a grip on the controller handling with these settings:

View attachment 368424 View attachment 368425

Normally i'm a Wheel user and was not the biggest fan of the controller handling. With these settings + ABS and TC im able to handle any car pretty well and can clock in decent, stable lap times.

Eeyup, these are very close to the settings I use on my X1.

I do have one question, what is the difference between the controller modes?

I would imagine mode 1 gives you the most response, aka uber-twitch mode.

Mode 2 dials it down, and mode 3 is IMHO the best on the X1 controller, as it makes the control a little more predictable and smooth. The twitchiness and tank-slapping gets dialed down a lot.

From what i understand, Mode 1 is kind of a raw, linear input mode usable for exotic game controllers on PC. Mode 2 is meant for the very smooth drivers that never let go of the left thumb stick and have very fine movement in the thumb. Mode 3 is for the 'Tap-Release-Tap' type of gamer, which supposedly is the majority.

From what i understand, Mode 1 is kind of a raw, linear input mode usable for exotic game controllers on PC. Mode 2 is meant for the very smooth drivers that never let go of the left thumb stick and have very fine movement in the thumb. Mode 3 is for the 'Tap-Release-Tap' type of gamer, which supposedly is the majority.

Oh yeah? That's good to know mate!

Mode 3 works best for me, though I never tap and release. I've always been in the habit of keeping the stick at an angle, along with a sore thumb, which I'm used to now and doesn't get as sore! Thanks to my GT days. :D

All my X360 and PS2/PS1 controllers had a dent right in the middle of the left stick due to the rubber surface getting so worn out... concentrating heavily on intricate inputs while trying to "feel" the car on pad. :lol:

OK, i think i'm going to suspend my career until the AI behavior in the wet is fixed. I go through the trouble of qualifying in front, driving the whole race in 2nd position only for it starting to rain in the second to last lap. AI drives on like it's dry and i have to watch out not to spin on slicks, so they all bloody pass me and there goes my race... AGAIN :mad:

How can they not have noticed during testing :rolleyes:

That's the problem: Intensified testing in the beta phase makes the Bug lists longer while the countdown to release gets smaller every day. Once the 'Point of no return' regarding release day has passed, there is only so much you can fix before you have to go gold.

That's the problem: Intensified testing in the beta phase makes the Bug lists longer while the countdown to release gets smaller every day. Once the 'Point of no return' regarding release day has passed, there is only so much you can fix before you have to go gold.
Even still, if it is gamebreaking (career mode is screwed because of rain races), then this should have been on the priority 1 list. There has been rain and AI for quite some time now, so this must have been reported already @WMD more than a year ago.

OK, i think i'm going to suspend my career until the AI behavior in the wet is fixed. I go through the trouble of qualifying in front, driving the whole race in 2nd position only for it starting to rain in the second to last lap. AI drives on like it's dry and i have to watch out not to spin on slicks, so they all bloody pass me and there goes my race... AGAIN :mad:

I know it's not the solution, but I've come to accept that I won't win every race in career mode, just hope there are more dry races than wet ones. :)

Even still, if it is gamebreaking (career mode is screwed because of rain races), then this should have been on the priority 1 list. There has been rain and AI for quite some time now, so this must have been reported already @WMD more than a year ago.

I can tell you that this issue was introduced only recently, probably as a side effect of another fix or feature that has been added. WMD doesn't get to know what exactly the priorities of SMS are, but they are certainly not stupid, incompetent, lazy or unorganized. Not at all.

It shouldn't happen, but it does because the reality of writing software, is that it is very hard. :/

Games like this in particular, that rely on inputs from a heterogeneous pool across multiple platforms, which provide subjective feedback to the users. Some bugs can be particularly difficult to spot, especially if you are under pressure to reduce a long queue of more easily identifiable issues.

You could develop games like you write combat controls systems I suppose, but I don't think I could afford the resulting product :)

I think though that SMS do care about the game and are probably just as gutted as those who are affected by any game breaking issues. Let's hope they are able to respond to the situation quickly.

It shouldn't happen, but it does because the reality of writing software, is that it is very hard. :/

Games like this in particular, that rely on inputs from a heterogeneous pool across multiple platforms, which provide subjective feedback to the users. Some bugs can be particularly difficult to spot, especially if you are under pressure to reduce a long queue of more easily identifiable issues.
I'm on PC, imagine how many rain races against the AI WMD members must have performed in the last years. It's not like it's hidden deep inside the code, just do one rain race against those bots in the wet and it's that obvious that Stevie Wonder would notice.

I think though that SMS do care about the game and are probably just as gutted as those who are affected by any game breaking issues. Let's hope they are able to respond to the situation quickly.
They do care, that is noticeable on the package we have already as it really is a great racing game and an enjoyable/ addictive experience as a whole. Andy Tudor's "we want to make sure you have a bug free, complete experience" quote when he was asked about the last delay, now sounds like some serious PR BS though.

I'm just going to settle for hotlapping and custom races in the dry until this gets fixed, and enjoy the game that way :)

I know it's not the solution, but I've come to accept that I won't win every race in career mode, just hope there are more dry races than wet ones. :)
Look at my avatar ;)

What are the resolution options in Project CARS?
As @blowfishrulez mentioned, on the PC you can run any resolution your graphics card supports. I recently switched to a single 21:9 UltraWide (3440x1440) so I could turn on all the eye candy and maintain 60FPS with weather and alot of AI, I was running triple screens at 5860x1080. Using a single GTX 980 SuperClocked video card with an Intel i7 CPU.

My copy finally arrived yesterday and after a good solid evening of track time, I'm fairly pleased overall. My thoughts on positives and negatives from experience so far:

+ The cars I've driven all behave and respond in a manner I would expect them to (1M, Escort, Clio).
+ Setup changes provide noticeable differences in car behaviour
+ Real-world setups are effective in game (Clio, thanks to Ridox2JZGTE)
+ Weather changes have a noticeable impact on car behaviour (not just wet / dry, but temp and cloud cover as well)
+ FFB is excellent
+ AI races well

- Inconsistent AI speed, perhaps even too slow at some tracks
- Scripted / accelerated weather in career mode(?)
- Inconsistent AI performances throughout a season (no serious championship contenders)
- Saving a setup is awkward and confusing, creating a database seemingly not possible? (Can't save multiple setups for one track, can't rename setups)
- Lack of information from the pit box prior / during a session (weather info / forecast, lap charts, split times, notes, etc)
- Lack of context to the career mode

Overall it sits at a solid 7.5/10 for me. I really enjoy driving the cars and the races have been a good experience as well, but it's lacking some of the extra information I would want to really extract the most performance out of the car and I'm not 100% convinced about how the replay value will be down the track.

Looking forward to pushing on though!

- Inconsistent AI performances throughout a season (no serious championship contenders)

I agree with this, although I've only done 1 championship, but the AI were all over the place and as such I had no real contenders come the end of the season. hopefully that will change as I play further into the career but I'll be a bit disappointed if there aren't 'hero' AI giving me a run for my money.

The tank-slapper can be tamed to some degree with input mode three and adjusting these parameters to suit your driving style:

* speed sensitivity
* controller sensitivity filter
* steering deadone

I would not recommend changing any of the other settings. Refer to the two links Johnnypenso left a page or two back in the thread.
Thanks for the advice but I'm not changing anything until the patch comes out because I don't want to have to change it again. I've just won the last three races in the Clio Cup easily on 30% AI. In the final Brands Hatch race I was about twelve seconds ahead so it's time to nudge that slider up. If the car got squiffy on long straights and started wallbanging I just restarted the session and tried again.

Once I'm familiar with the limits of the game I'll try using the excellent controller guide posted by Supaaafly on the PCars forum if the patch doesn't cure anything. But I'm fine on the default controller settings so far. I've had a friend over who's tried out a Cosworth for a quick race weekend and he had no problems on the mode 3 default settings either.

We Xbone peasants may not have the 1080p and joypad speaker of the PS4 version let alone the ultra detailed graphics and robustly mass bugtested version on PC but that rumble trigger support is enough to let me know I made the right choice for me. I'm just finally glad I've got to the stage where I want to play more. The game is starting to grip even if the tyres aren't always following suit.

Now, how about you @Speedster911? Game still make you want to throw up? Still want to trade it in for COD and feel it's a waste of your hard earned cash? Because I really feel you need to address the overly harsh review you gave the game before handing out advice on how to play it to other people if you want them to take your opinions at all seriously.

Last edited:
I agree with this, although I've only done 1 championship, but the AI were all over the place and as such I had no real contenders come the end of the season. hopefully that will change as I play further into the career but I'll be a bit disappointed if there aren't 'hero' AI giving me a run for my money.
Grid AS was the exact opposite; the Ravenwest guys won almost every race so your were practically forced to win all races yourself for a shot at the title. I prefer the different winners in PCARS as that means you can win the championship through consistent points finishes, and as such you can bump up the AI and don't have to win each time.

- Saving a setup is awkward and confusing, creating a database seemingly not possible? (Can't save multiple setups for one track, can't rename setups)
It's actually the best system I've experienced so far; once you setup a car at a given track, that setup will be automatically saved. Then go to your garage, select the car, load the setup (it will be named after the track you tuned it on), edit the setup and save to all. That way your setup is now applicable to all tracks you go to. Piece of cake making a default setup that suits you and then altering that one if you need to per track 👍

Regarding different ones for your car per track i don't know if that is possible, but i don't see the point anyway.

Grid AS was the exact opposite; the Ravenwest guys won almost every race so your were practically forced to win all races yourself for a shot at the title. I prefer the different winners in PCARS as that means you can win the championship through consistent points finishes, and as such you can bump up the AI and don't have to win each time.

It's actually the best system I've experienced so far; once you setup a car at a given track, that setup will be automatically saved. Then go to your garage, select the car, load the setup (it will be named after the track you tuned it on), edit the setup and save to all. That way your setup is now applicable to all tracks you go to. Piece of cake making a default setup that suits you and then altering that one if you need to per track 👍

Regarding different ones for your car per track i don't know if that is possible, but i don't see the point anyway.
Raining and dry one for example

that's true, those Ravenwest guys were ridiculous in all the Grid games. fair point, consistency is definitely key to winning.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not changing anything until the patch comes out because I don't want to have to change it again. I've just won the last three races in the Clio Cup easily on 30% AI. In the final Brands Hatch race I was about twelve seconds ahead so it's time to nudge that slider up. If the car got squiffy on long straights and started wallbanging I just restarted the session and tried again.

Once I'm familiar with the limits of the game I'll try using the excellent controller guide posted by Supaaafly on the PCars forum if the patch doesn't cure anything. But I'm fine on the default controller settings so far. I've had a friend over who's tried out a Cosworth for a quick race weekend and he had no problems on the mode 3 default settings either.

We Xbone peasants may not have the 1080p and joypad speaker of the PS4 version let alone the ultra detailed graphics and robustly mass bugtested version on PC but that rumble trigger support is enough to let me know I made the right choice for me. I'm just finally glad I've got to the stage where I want to play more. The game is starting to grip even if the tyres aren't always following suit.

Now, how about you @Speedster911? Game still make you want to throw up? Still want to trade it in for COD and feel it's a waste of your hard earned cash? Because I really feel you need to address the overly harsh review you gave the game before handing out advice on how to play it to other people if you want them to take your opinions at all seriously.

Uhh...huh?! The game has rumble trigger support? Mine don't rumble at all! I thought it ain't supported. Feedback/vibration is on 100%.

Mode 3 default setting works fine on the X1 controller, though it puts a cap on your steering like FM does, which is fine I suppose; you want to turn, you must slow down! I also feel counter-steering can be very challenging in this setting as its tamer and almost not twitchy at all.. it's just that the steering feels and looks funny every time it gets centered... guess I'm used to (and spoiled rotten) by how smooth and precise Forza's steering is... okay enough with the comparisons!

I may have come off really harsh on the game because well, I was expecting something close to Forza, which I know doesn't make complete sense, I'll admit. Sounds I'm okay with, and some cars do sound really good, especially the off-throttle and between shifts sounds, well done. Took a BMW (M3 or the M5 race car I guess) around Brands Hatch, and after many controller tweaks, couldn't help but listen to that exhaust sound over and over again from the chase view. The sheer amount of options, tweaks and tuning stuff in this game is borderline insane. However, I'm maintaining my stance on visuals, they could have been better. Some of the tracks feel dull and bland, but then again this is not a game that wants you to focus on pretty-looking trackside objects.

I appreciate your advice mate, I should have given the game maybe a little more time. In all honestly, it just didn't grab me with a "Wow" like FM5 or even FM4 did, and the out-the-box control really did drive me up the wall at the time. As for COD AW, I'm getting it for $48, so why not add that to my humble collection?

I'll appreciate both for what they are: Forza and CARS that is. Eagerly waiting for that control patch like all you X1'ers, and I do hope they also release some kind of update to up the visuals a little. I love how sharp and clean the game looks, and those 60 fps replays...oohhh..reminds me of the good ol' GT days on the PS2. Overall, the visuals could just use a little more detail that's all, tracks in particular.

All in all, not bad for a crowd-funded game. Hope to see more road cars and maybe parts upgrades in future PCARS games.

"Xbone peasants"...hahahah! It's not a bad console at all and it will get better in the coming months and years with updates and refinements. I have a feeling MS might knock Sony out again with the game collection, despite having somewhat inferior hardware (again).

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back