PCARS first impressions!

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 771 comments
Anyone have any feedback on using a pad on PC? Will probably use my DS3 or 360 pad. Also I know XBone & PS4 don't support it but does the PC version support the DFGT wheel?

I'm using the 360 pad and it works quite well.

Question:
I've heard there would be a feature to set driving aids based on what car you are driving. Can't find that one...

Question:
I've heard there would be a feature to set driving aids based on what car you are driving. Can't find that one...

I think it's online only. You can restrict lobby settings to "real life"

Question:
If you go to Option, then the first setting (Gameplay?) you'll have an option for aids. Select realistic (or Real?)
It's offline too, not only online.

Finally have some first impressions of my own.

To start it off I went for some practice at Spa with an LMP1 with all assists off, didn't end well haha. Then switched to Laguna Seca and tried out Mercedes SLS AMG GT3, really nice car to drive, and I also turned on traction control and automatic gearing (L1 /R1 is terrible for shifting, I must find a better solution). After I got some feel for it I tried a quick race, 50% difficulty. Given that I'm a complete novice it seemed almost to easy. Will try 70% next. Also did one online race, 16 GT3 cars, only 8 finished haha, I was 4th. I also went for a 125cc kart race, didn't really like it that much.

Overall the game feels great.
First about controls, thanks to this thread (especially FuriousDemon) the twitchiness got dealt with by making some changes, mode 2 and sensitivity to 65. So controls are now quite fine. Maybe a bit of fine tuning left, but feels much better than with the default settings.
I love the responsivness, how curbs, grass, sand, etc affect the drive, feels very realistic, love it.
Graphics are absolutely gorgeous.
The one online game I played was very smooth, experienced no lag.

Only negative I have so far is the speaker in my gamepad, can't change it to TV, can only turn down the volume. Since I like to play with headphones it really sucks, even more so since I also tend to play at later hours when others are already sleeping so I can't have the gamepad screaming at me.

To start it off I went for some practice at Spa with an LMP1 with all assists off, didn't end well haha. Then switched to Laguna Seca and tried out Mercedes SLS AMG GT3, really nice car to drive, and I also turned on traction control and automatic gearing (L1 /R1 is terrible for shifting, I must find a better solution). After I got some feel for it I tried a quick race, 50% difficulty. Given that I'm a complete novice it seemed almost to easy. Will try 70% next. Also did one online race, 16 GT3 cars, only 8 finished haha, I was 4th. I also went for a 125cc kart race, didn't really like it that much.

First about controls, thanks to this thread (especially FuriousDemon) the twitchiness got dealt with by making some changes, mode 2 and sensitivity to 65. So controls are now quite fine. Maybe a bit of fine tuning left, but feels much better than with the default settings.
I love the responsivness, how curbs, grass, sand, etc affect the drive, feels very realistic, love it.

Only negative I have so far is the speaker in my gamepad, can't change it to TV, can only turn down the volume. Since I like to play with headphones it really sucks, even more so since I also tend to play at later hours when others are already sleeping so I can't have the gamepad screaming at me.
Glad it felt better for you!
You can turn off the volume for Engineer in the sound options, so I hope that would prevent him from talking and you will only see the text on the screen. It's not a perfect solution, but helps for those late night sessions

You can turn off the volume for Engineer in the sound options, so I hope that would prevent him from talking and you will only see the text on the screen. It's not a perfect solution, but helps for those late night sessions
Yeah I intend on doing that for late night sessions. Appreciate the help!

Circle/Square FTW!
Yeah, was thinking similar, will definitely try it out later. :)

You can adjust this in Audio settings:

119Gg

Is this game offline too? I really want a car game so I can make use of my G27, but most PC sims are online-only, or are incomplete and not worth the price like super-overrated Assetto Corsa.

Also, can my system run this? I have a Quad Core i5 @ 3.0, 12gb Ram and a GTX 750TI.

One more thing. Will this game get more content? Like street cars. And how's the customization?

I could buy this as we speak, but I'm still not confident about the game. Pretty graphics and good physics are not the only thing that matters. It all seems first-time excitement, just like with GT6.

Is this game offline too? I really want a car game so I can make use of my G27, but most PC sims are online-only, or are incomplete and not worth the price like super-overrated Assetto Corsa.

Also, can my system run this? I have a Quad Core i5 @ 3.0, 12gb Ram and a GTX 750TI.

One more thing. Will this game get more content? Like street cars. And how's the customization?

I could buy this as we speak, but I'm still not confident about the game. Pretty graphics and good physics are not the only thing that matters. It all seems first-time excitement, just like with GT6.

You should be fine with your system. Yes it has a huge offline career and quick races. Content will be updated (expect a season pass anouncement soon). Customization is not ingame, you can only change liveries. But it has lots of setup options for every car

My first race...

5 Laps at Spa, AI 50%, McLaren GT3 - Started off in 19th place worked my way up to 5th

First impressions...Best thing i've ever played in my life (bear in mind first real sim with a wheel) Got a smile as wide as the clyde!

Think 100% force feedback was a bit much for me though as my arms are killing me after that one race!

sometimes the text disappears faster than you can read it which isn't helpful.

So, overall...glad to see you guys really enjoy the game and i feel that we WMD members didn't promise too much or did write something that would hurt our credibility. I really like this community here, great experience i must say!
I agree. The reason I'm still stuck (;)) here is cause of community, havent played GT games for about 4 years now. You guys are awesome! Mature and respectful, for the most part. Hope to see you on-board for pCARS 2, even though I'm not sure I'll be there myself, not too much time on my hands these days.

Hi. Can someone tell how T500RS work with this game on PS4? What is your opinion of FF, physics and functions when you using T500RS. There is some serious issues or something else that make CARS unplayable on T500RS on PS4?

You should be fine with your system. Yes it has a huge offline career and quick races. Content will be updated (expect a season pass anouncement soon). Customization is not ingame, you can only change liveries. But it has lots of setup options for every car

Thanks for the response, man 👍 You know what? I bought it. I'm afraid of having faith in games since GT6, but this game looks very promising. Can't play it right now though. I have to go to work :P And I hope it doesn't kill my computer since I don't hit the recommended requirements.

Okay, so I'll be asking a couple of things while I'm at work. I know it's pointless now since I already bought it, but I have a few doubts which I will be asking to clear out during the day.

How well does the game support the shifter + clutch with a G27? Because so far the only game that seems to wrok flawless with it is ETS2, as funny as it might seem.

My first impression is joy. The visuals are excellent. I am seeing that my GTX 980 is massive overkill as people with far less seem to be experiencing the same beautiful game I am. If anything, the game looks too pretty, bordering on unrealistic. But isn't it grande.

It took a bit to get my DFGT set up correctly. It still doesn't have the FFB or response I'd like, but it is not really much different than what I experience in GT6, so it is fine. A new wheel is on the agenda anyway.

The helmet cam is the way to go. I'll tinker with the "sense of speed" settings to get it just right. The blur is a bit excessive by default, especially when there is a car close in front of you, but I do love that driving view with the Karts and Formula Rookie. Being able to fully adjust the "seat' with simple keyboard clicks to get it just right is perfect.

I'll have to tinker with the sound settings as all of the karts sound the same as mine and I cannot tell, by sound, when I need to shift.

Learning all of the new tracks is going to be challenging.
In the Kart career, just dumping me into a race with no prior experience driving a Kart in the game or driving that track in the game is quite annoying. I assumed there would at least be some practice time. I don't like having to Reset and do-over just to get some seat time.

Setting the AI Skill and difficulty to max is the way to go. I loved only being able to qualify 14th in the Formula Rookie race at Oulton Park. I have no idea how to drive that track. I have no idea how to drive that car. So it is perfectly fitting that after the 30 minute practice and qualifying I'd still be running 1:30s.

After my relatively short session last night I can say that this isn't a "game". It could be. One could easily turn the settings down and make everything winnable, but if you want a challenge, I think it is there to be had.
I am looking forward to the challenge.

Okay, so I'll be asking a couple of things while I'm at work. I know it's pointless now since I already bought it, but I have a few doubts which I will be asking to clear out during the day.

How well does the game support the shifter + clutch with a G27? Because so far the only game that seems to wrok flawless with it is ETS2, as funny as it might seem.

Clutch is modeled like the brake/gas pedal so it is not just an on/off switch. You can use it to start very smooth or you can do a jump start like a 17-year old who just got the driving licence :D

Just ran out of petrol lapping a Mclaren F1 at Le Mans. With 5x the speed of day/night transition, seeing the track change around you and the sun going down shining through the trees, i can only find one word for it: majestic!

That's what's so good about the day/night transitions, you can do lap after lap as it stays interesting and refreshing, and the great physics, sounds and FFB help towards that enjoyable experience too.

When my fuel was running out (full 80 liter tank :dopey:), i wanted to pit and i selected refueling for 40 liters, but the car just drove straight down the pits without stopping. It was in free practice so probably you don't have pitstops available there?

Also; how cool is it that you can decide when to activate your headlights or windscreen wipers :) Waited extra long to activate the headlights just so i could check out how dark it became.

Back