PCARS first impressions!

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 771 comments
:eek: Do you still see where you are going?
FoV calculator told me to set it at 36 degrees, but that was too much so i settled for 60.
Sure, and I frickin' love it.

:D

FGvxn1J.png

nXlK5Ob.png

wlRawmB.jpg

Really enjoying Project Cars so far after racing for a good few hours and tweaking the controller settings to get it how I like it.

Couple of things that bug me about it though is the blur due to the AA they have used, & the lack of AF used on the PS4 version, it looks like 4xAF even though they said they updated PS4 to 8x. Hopefully they improve these few things in a future update

My first impression:

Driving physics = Very good
Crash physics when getting hit by other car = horrible (does not adhere to the laws of physics)
Physics other than getting hit = Seems OK
Graphics = Quite nice
Sound = Excellent

WTF!!! message to SLIGHTLY MAD STUDIOS: Please fix crash physics so they are correct according to the laws of physics in real life...

Example: A car driving at the same speed as me slams into my left side. In real life this will cause my cars right side to be pressed down towards the ground and the car should jerk to the right, right. In the game I experienced this instead: my two right wheels leave the ground and the car tips over 90 degrees to the left, towards the car that hit me and lands on the side or roof depending on the power of the impact. WTF!!!!!!!!!

:eek: Do you still see where you are going?
FoV calculator told me to set it at 36 degrees, but that was too much so i settled for 60.
Yeah i was 48 degress on FOV calc but thought it was a bit too close and settled at 60 also. Although maybe cars that are really hard to see out of i'l go closer.

Is there an exterior/chase cam option? And for the haters out there, cockpit view for now (Oculus etc. will change this) is only more realistic if in "real life" you were completely unable to move your head and had very restricted peripheral vision. It's a game.

Yeah i was 48 degress on FOV calc but thought it was a bit too close and settled at 60 also. Although maybe cars that are really hard to see out of i'l go closer.
I've mapped move seat forward/backward to my dpad so I can do small adjustments in game rather than going back to the FOV menu and reloading. seems decent plus is easy to adjust when you get in a different car.

Is there an exterior/chase cam option? And for the haters out there, cockpit view for now (Oculus etc. will change this) is only more realistic if in "real life" you were completely unable to move your head and had very restricted peripheral vision. It's a game.
There's a look to apex function and you can look around in the cockpit too, so no excuses :P

Yes, there is a fair selection of other views: chase, bumper, hood, freecam (don't know if that's on consoles)...

Edit: Half Ninja'd by mister_dog, and dreaming of a triple screen setup...

I've mapped move seat forward/backward to my dpad so I can do small adjustments in game rather than going back to the FOV menu and reloading. seems decent plus is easy to adjust when you get in a different car.
How do you do that?

How do you do that?
go to options > controls > um... can you wait 5 mins till I get the ps4 on? haha. it's in one of the tabs, you get a whole screen of commands, lots aren't set as default, can remap anything really. I went for, on dpad: up-headlights, down-wipers, left/right- seat forwards/backwards.

there's really not enough buttons to map everything though so it's be great if we could also use the pad or keyboard

Should be delivered tomorrow so I will see. My keyboard and mouse are too far away from my seat and wheel.

And for the haters out there, cockpit view for now (Oculus etc. will change this) is only more realistic if in "real life" you were completely unable to move your head and had very restricted peripheral vision. It's a game.

So....just like a being in a race car with a helmet, HANS device, winged headrests and harness? :P ;)

I bought a Thrustmaster T100 for my new PS4 a few weeks ago (I used to have a G27 for my PS3 and PC, but it was left behind when I relocated to another country - and doesn't work on the PS4 anyway). The T100 is... serviceable, as far as smooth driving input goes anyway, but the force feedback is completely devoid of finer details, and after barely ten hours of use with Driveclub, it has developed an annoying and fairly loud click sound whenever I turn it past 15-20 degrees in either direction.
I've been trying it briefly in Project Cars but with the clicking sound and the limb feel, I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself using the PS4 controller most of the time instead. In fact I've found the wheel most enjoyable when I've unplugged it from the mains to disable force feedback (the clicking is still there sometimes if I just turn FFB to 0 in games), so I'm starting to suspect that as far as cheap wheel options go the rubber band T80 might have been a preferable choice.

Anyway, Project Cars plays surprisingly well with the PS4 controller after adjusting the settings. The defaults are way too twitchy for my taste, but as others have pointed out the magic settings are steering sensitivity (keep it low or at 0, I was puzzled by a post I've seen suggesting a 65 setting - incredibly twitchy) and control filtering sensitivity (seems to smooth out the input with medium to high settings).

For now I've settled on these settings, which gives me satisfyingly smooth and controlled input. Turning almost as smoothly as with a wheel as long as you have a gentle touch, and even the in-game visual wheel represents this (unless you activate one of the advanced control options related to that, which does something funky and annoying).

Steering deadzone = 10
steering sensitivty = 0
Throttle deadzone = 10
Throttle sensitivity = 20
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 65
Control filtering sensitivity = 50
Force feedback = 100
Advanced settings off

My first impression:

Driving physics = Very good
Crash physics when getting hit by other car = horrible (does not adhere to the laws of physics)
Physics other than getting hit = Seems OK
Graphics = Quite nice
Sound = Excellent

WTF!!! message to SLIGHTLY MAD STUDIOS: Please fix crash physics so they are correct according to the laws of physics in real life...

Example: A car driving at the same speed as me slams into my left side. In real life this will cause my cars right side to be pressed down towards the ground and the car should jerk to the right, right. In the game I experienced this instead: my two right wheels leave the ground and the car tips over 90 degrees to the left, towards the car that hit me and lands on the side or roof depending on the power of the impact. WTF!!!!!!!!!

The sounds! I have spent most of my time trying every car just to hear to sound! Obviously used to GT6, this is simply incredible. Love it!

I bought a Thrustmaster T100 for my new PS4 a few weeks ago (I used to have a G27 for my PS3 and PC, but it was left behind when I relocated to another country - and doesn't work on the PS4 anyway). The T100 is... serviceable, as far as smooth driving input goes anyway, but the force feedback is completely devoid of finer details, and after barely ten hours of use with Driveclub, it has developed an annoying and fairly loud click sound whenever I turn it past 15-20 degrees in either direction.
I've been trying it briefly in Project Cars but with the clicking sound and the limb feel, I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself using the PS4 controller most of the time instead. In fact I've found the wheel most enjoyable when I've unplugged it from the mains to disable force feedback (the clicking is still there sometimes if I just turn FFB to 0 in games), so I'm starting to suspect that as far as cheap wheel options go the rubber band T80 might have been a preferable choice.

Anyway, Project Cars plays surprisingly well with the PS4 controller after adjusting the settings. The defaults are way too twitchy for my taste, but as others have pointed out the magic settings are steering sensitivity (keep it low or at 0, I was puzzled by a post I've seen suggesting a 65 setting - incredibly twitchy) and control filtering sensitivity (seems to smooth out the input with medium to high settings).

For now I've settled on these settings, which gives me satisfyingly smooth and controlled input. Turning almost as smoothly as with a wheel as long as you have a gentle touch, and even the in-game visual wheel represents this (unless you activate one of the advanced control options related to that, which does something funky and annoying).

Steering deadzone = 10
steering sensitivty = 0
Throttle deadzone = 10
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 65
Force feedback = 100
Advanced settings off
If you refer to me suggesting 65, I was talking about control filtering sensitivity. Forgot the exact name. :)

If you refer to me suggesting 65, I was talking about control filtering sensitivity. Forgot the exact name. :)

Might have been you. I was doing some Google searches on suggested settings and visited a few different sites. And it's also possible I got something mixed up in my reading :).

I tried to remap to circle/square but it kept telling me that I had to assign other buttons... Is there an option where others preset options can be selected

There seems to be some functions that must be mapped. For me it was Look Back it wouldn't let me leave blank.

Just got the game today. Tried to put a few laps in on the nordschleife in a BMW 1M. Damn, that was hard with a ds4, couldn't even get though the first section without hitting something. Controllers are not for me I guess ;)

Anyway, t300rs is on the way, guess I'll have to practice some patience until the wheel arives. Won't be playing untill then. pCars does look and sound great though. Can't wait.

Steering deadzone = 10
steering sensitivty = 0
Throttle deadzone = 10
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 65
Force feedback = 100
Advanced settings off

Thanks for that mate. I actually came into this thread to ask how the game plays with a ps4 controller, as I don't have the cash for a wheel just yet, and was wondering if it was worth playing with the ds4, or if I should just hold out 'till I have the wheel. You've answered me before I've asked, so I'll be going out and picking this up on Tuesday if the stores aren't all sold out!

To anyone having issues with the controller on ps4 or xbone, here are a few tips:
go to controller options >
Sensitivity: is the responsiveness of your stick, set this between 0-10 (higher is really not necessary, personally I have it at 0)
Deadzone: never above 15 unless you have a REALLY crappy controller
Speed sensitivity: higher number means lower sensitivity at higher speed. Set this between 60-75 (above 75 its impossible to corner at higher speeds)
Controller filtering: this smooths out your input. Set this at 0 for very 'jerky' movement. I recommend between 50-70

Back