pCARS unplayable on a Dualshock??PS4 

Still loving this game but I was wondering if the gamepad fixes for XBone on the 1.3 patch will rollover to to PS4?
Specifically these as I feel this happens to me, but only sometimes.
  • Fixed an issue where moving the sticks from one extreme to the other would sometimes result in the steering getting stuck.
  • Reworked the Xbox One analogue sticks range and axis dead zones, providing much improved steering control.

I raced using the crosspad, X and [] for years and years during the early GT days. Once I started online racing in GT5 I realized how much at a disadvantage I was using those controls. I took the time to learn to use the stick for steering then R2 for throttle, but down on the right stick for brake. I found the roll on/roll off of my finger and thumb be quite a natural motion so I've mapped my controller like that every since. When I first got PCARS I definitely struggled with control right out of the gate, but after some fiddling with settings in only a couple weeks I think I'm nearly to the same performance level I am with GT, just not as consistent. I think that's due to the massive increase in concentration I find I need for this game. I am, however, changing from bumper view (GT) to helmet view in PCARS. This game is soo much more immersive I just can't justify not learning it.

I just tested these settings with the Clio Cup car and the Caterham R500, Feels smooth and i can be accurate like as if it was Forza Motorpsort, but snappy enough to control little slides and counter steers like as if it was GT6

input 3

Steering Deadzone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 5
Throttle Deadzone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 10
Brake Deadzone: 0
Brake Sensetivity: 10

Speed Sensitivity: 50
Controller Filtering: 40
-Advanced On
-Soft steering damp Off
-Opposite lock off

Some one give it a try and let me know?

I can now play the Game! Lol

Last edited:
It's not that it's impossible to lap a good time. It's that you have to struggle with the analog, to move it perfectly and always make corrections... It's hard to explain... I guess we just need to wait for the update - Xbone's gamepad controlling is fixed so we'll see 💡

I find it easy to explain.

It's the 17 corrections to the cars position between takeoff and the 1st corner that is the problem and not having the car positioned correctly the whole time, compared to making one correction to the cars position and having the car positioned correctly the whole time with GT, but congrats to the driver to make a lap with a PS4 controller.

As for "analogue", it's more digital around center than analogue. Driving with DS4 is still very, very broken. Digital in the center and linear to the edges? Yeah I think so. Broken :(

Last edited:
I find it easy to play with a ds4 now. Wasn't too hard to begin with, once I had worked out a decent controller set up I was pretty consistent.

The main problem, I think, is too many people are used to arcade racing games, and expected this to be just as easy with a controller. I can go (and have gone) from playing Driveclub for an hour or two, to jumping onto Project CARS, and because I know what to expect from each game, I go from posting top 50 times in DC to winning career races on 90% AI in CARS.

I'm fast in any sim or arcade racing game, I'm actually extremely fast in GT games sometimes, just Pcars has terrible code for DS4 driving. It really is as simple as that. Actually until it's fixed, Project Cars is arcade and not sim as far as I'm concerned. Digital steering at center is unacceptable.

The flame bait is not needed, keep it up and you will be getting a time out.

This is not a pCars vs GT thread, don't try and turn it into one.

I'm fast in any sim or arcade racing game, I'm actually extremely fast in GT games sometimes, just Pcars has terrible code for DS4 driving. It really is as simple as that. Actually until it's fixed, Project Cars is arcade and not sim as far as I'm concerned. Digital steering at center is unacceptable.

Using a DS4 in PCARS can be a shock to the system at first, that's for sure. However, all the settings are there to make driving with a DS4 an enjoyable experience. Although those settings are poorly explained, with a bit of tinkering and quality time in a variety of cockpits, racing does become very manageable and cathartic, if you stay alert, focused and pay attention to the behavior of your car -- just like in real life.

Last edited:
It really isn't an issue if I race clean lines and stay focused(Which is my biggest issue), but sometimes I struggle to straighten out. Too much counter steer isn't my issue, but if the car oversteers by anything more than ~30 degrees it goes on an unresponsive ghost ride into a barrier. Does anybody have any recommendations as far as game pad configurations to help my specific problem?

The settings I use are:

Input Mode 3:
Steering Deadzone - 5
Steering Sensitivity - 5
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Throttle Sensitivity - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 15
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 55
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 30
Force Feedback - 100

Which allows me to drive like this:

You will need to tweak a bit for your own taste, but its possible to control the car smoothly, but you do need to also be smooth with all your inputs.

I tried to setup it on my own using an hour...But it was still bad.

Tried yours setup (except the force feedback - I dislike the DS4 vibration) and it improved a lot! It really changed my experience! Thanks a lot!

Ill try others people setup later.

Guy's I respect all of your driving acumen. And I do understand that for quite a few of us the feel of PCars takes some getting used to. That is to be said for any racer (I wont go sim/arcade). I am a long time GT player (Since GT1) and have driven a few other games on console and PC. I'd be the first to tell you that PCars is the better of GT in the realism of suspension function and adjustment. But don't get it twisted, there is a problem with driving PCars on PS4 AND on PC with pad type controllers. And the gross adjustments needed to simply get around most tracks is proof.

This is no attack on PCars as compared to GT. PCars is a seriously entertaining game. I have both PC and Console versions and enough of a gaming PC to appreciate the game (still want to upgrade my GPU to a 900 series GForce).

I am not a world class sim driver. But I know what throttle control is in a real car and in a game.
I also know how to induce tail slide with quick steering (left/right) input. PCars on console and PC is inducing that spin for me.:confused:

There is no need to become disagreeable over this. I am sure some players might indeed overcome the issue with the adjustments. However, the issue does exist. And even with adjustment there is still a problem controlling your car.:banghead:

Even if you take the entire course in third gear. The steering is indeed twitchy at center. And at speed you will lose control on a straight section. Much less trying to negotiate a turn.:odd:

This is something that should be fixed in short order by SMS. But I wont drive on-line with other players until it's fixed.

Because I will ruin races for other players. With a wheel (My G27 will not work on PC due to Logitech not supplying correct drivers) I'm sure the game is very good indeed. In fact you can tell even with the warped pad controller code that PCars is a fantastic sim.:cheers:

Pcars, I find isn't undriveable, but I do have difficulty with the steering and a lack of feel, my steering is either too much or too little, therefore in a race it is difficult to be precise for apex's etc. I have tried adjusting controls but still have the same result, unfortunately this removes a lot of fun.

I'll post DS4 settings later if needed as I can't remember who's I found online, but that was the very early frustration dealt with in terms of having a car that was predictable. The cars are tough to drive, but the controller settings were all about getting the car to do the same thing lap on lap and then corner on corner. Throttle control is obviously a major part of that, and I am using full throttle pretty much only when in a straight line.

Can I also ask though how many people are experimenting with the car setups themselves too? I was having some real trouble in a race at the weekend in the 98T Lotus at Zolder. The race would be on a dry track for the first half and a drenched track for second half. With race distances as they are, pitting was not an option. I opted for the wet tyres and to make do with little grip at race start, but I just could not keep pace with the AI. Then I reduced the camber, and I'm now back in love with the game completely! Every car I get in gets the same treatment and my times have crumbled, seconds faster and far more confidence means far more consistency. I just wonder now how many previous races I struggled with could have been comfortable wins...

Steering deadzone 5. Steering sensitivity 50 or 45 Controller filtering 65. Works super on formula a with 1.04 patch.
Throttle deadzone 0
Throttle sensitivty 50
Brake deadzone 0
Brake sensitivity 30
Best setup ever.
Your welcome..:bowdown:

I have been on a rollercoaster since 1.4 came out. I have been waiting for PCars to drop (as have the rest of you) for a while. I did expect so day one issues. But nothing as sad as the lack of control using a DS4. The steering was enough to bring water to your eyes. Because everything else appeared so good. I looked at setups, and tried many. But no matte what prior to 1.4 I could not enjoy the game. Never mind the anger of not being able use a perfectly fine G27 and my PlaySeat rig that I saved for as a GT6 item.🤬

Anyway, Friday I was initially in heaven. The update dropped and the fix was in. When I fired up Project Cars, I could feel the difference. I was able to navigate my favorite tracks. And I joyously commented in the news forum.
But late Friday night I got up enough nerve to go on-0line without the fear of wrecking other players because of the DS4 lack of control, I was not having the experience I expected. Everyone was faster, and I just could not stay on the track for any consistent amount of time. Worse yet, I felt the dreaded on center twinge again.:banghead: :odd:

After the event I started a day long dive into driving project cars. And what I found was I was doing more tuning of my controller than I was my cars. And it was not until today Sunday at about noon that I found the answer.
Would have been sooner by life (yard work hair cut cleaning) got in the way.:eek::rolleyes:

So, the problem I was having WAS my controller configuration. The steering sensitivity, Speed Sensitivity and Controller Filtering Sensitivity to be exact. The other settings in the configuration do matter. But none more than those named.
I did see where a member posted that the speed sensitivity and ctrl filter sensitivity were most important.
This was before update 1.4 came. And trust me (I have both PC and PS4 versions) nothing worked for me prior to 1.4.

Once you sort out the differences between these settings (and you will the first time you go 100 MPH and find you barley move when you turn your wheel) every car in the game is yours to command. Carts too.:P

Everyone has different reaction time and eye hand coordination. So one setting will not be a cure for everyone.
What I am posting (IMHO) will be a good starting point. All you have left to do is understand the settings, and drop a tune on your vehicle of choice. With this controller setting I can drive any car well without tuning it. Tuning is just that, fine tuning the car for your personal use.:cool:

These settings may have been posted by others. I am not trying to steal anyone's thunder.:nervous:
This is what my research yielded over most of this weekend. I hope it helps those who need help.
Make sure you set the controller input mode first. If not you'll scramble your settings.
GOOD LUCK MATES.:gtpflag:

Controller Input Mode: 3
Advanced: ON
Soft Steering Damping: ON
Visual Wheel Filtering: ON
Opposite Lock Help: OFF

Steering Deadzone: 5
Steering Sensitivity: 10
Throttle Deadzone: 10
Throttle Sensitivity: 10

Brake Deadzone: 10
Brake Sensitivity: 30
Clutch Deadzone: 10
Clutch Sensitivity: 45

Speed Sensitivity: 60
Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 70

Force Feedback: 100
RPM/Gear Display: Yes

Then I reduced the camber, and I'm now back in love with the game completely! Every car I get in gets the same treatment and my times have crumbled, seconds faster and far more confidence means far more consistency.

Many of the default camber settings need adjustment. Even before 1.4 landed, playing with camber helped in the control area for me anyway. You have to take some time to experiment. What I love about PCars is that experimentation is often rewarded in a realistic manner. The principals of tuning a race car are at play. And for a game, they are pretty realistic in how they affect your driving experience. Hard to say that about a lot of the other offerings on console or PC.

I love that too, you really notice all of the small changes! I was trying to use tyre pressures to give me better grip front to rear, but that is now about temperature control and you notice real differences over a race stint between getting the level right and "a wild guess". Regarding camber, I just couldn't believe how shocking the "Default" setup was. I do struggle with that side in pCARS given how much time it can take to work on a setup, and yet the only way I have found to save it so far is to do a lap and pit in, similarly to load it you need to drive out onto the circuit and then select the setup. I must be doing something wrong, but only options I see on setup page are to revert to the default setup or to save current setup (temporarily using X).

I use a controller on the PS4 (I don't have a wheel) and with the karts at least, I find it fine. Though I did remap the control scheme to something I like: X for throttle, square for brake and L2/R2 for shifting. I haven't messed with any of the other settings, like steering deadzone. I bet a wheel would be better, but I don't want a wheel that badly.

I use a controller on the PS4 (I don't have a wheel) and with the karts at least, I find it fine. Though I did remap the control scheme to something I like: X for throttle, square for brake and L2/R2 for shifting. I haven't messed with any of the other settings, like steering deadzone. I bet a wheel would be better, but I don't want a wheel that badly.

Try using the right stick for throttle and brake. It allows you to better control your throttle. The buttons aren't progressive enough. You will really notice a difference in the quality of your driving. 👍

Try using the right stick for throttle and brake. It allows you to better control your throttle. The buttons aren't progressive enough. You will really notice a difference in the quality of your driving. 👍
I got into pCARS coming off of Gran Turismo, so I went with a similar control scheme. I know in GT you can use the right stick for throttle and brake, but I prefer using X and square.

GT was never any good at explanations for settings either. PCars has loads more settings, and not so much as a book of definitions. That's not real good.

And Neveek Darkroom I was just like you. Just last week I posted that I could not get used to using R2/L2 for throttle vice X/O. Then I tried the right stick for gas/brake. More natural for me than the R/L triggers with the same progressive properties. The right stick felt more natural. I think I did it briefly in GT4.

But in the end you have to be happy with the control layout you use. So please don't think I'm trying to dictate.

I came across this thread as I was researching the countersteering nuisance on a controller.

Since both the updates, the devs still have not addressed this. Can you guys confirm this, controller users (only X1/ps4)?

My inside deads are practically at zero. Steering and throttle/braking at 10. SSS at 70. Controller filtering at 30. This is interesting though: the moment I turn on visual wheel filtering and opposite lock help, I actually stand a chance at controlling and recovering from slides.

As it is, you break your tail even at slower speeds, and your car is almost completely irrecoverable.

I want to enjoy the game without any assists or filtering. Suggestions?

I found this on the Project cars forums from JohnnyDNGRSLY - imo much better than the default settings

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Throttle Sensitivity - 25
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Speed Sensitivity - 75
(I adjust only this value as needed depending on car type)
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 50
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Controller Input Mode - 2
Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On
Apply Visual Filtering - Off
Apply Opposite Lock Help - Off

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...troller-Settings-Problems-amp-Solutions/page9

I have something to add:

To work around the controller countersteering bug, either keep opp. lock help on (doiih), or set steering deadzone to 10 and steering sensitivity to 30. You might be able to *save your life* at lower speeds, but at higher speeds, if its gone.. it's gone baby gone!

Back