pCARS unplayable on a Dualshock??PS4 

biggest problem i had so far is coming out of a corner with snap over steer... I want to "Catch" the car before it spins but i dont think it will let me go from lock to lock quickly enough?

has anyone else had this issue?

biggest problem i had so far is coming out of a corner with snap over steer... I want to "Catch" the car before it spins but i dont think it will let me go from lock to lock quickly enough?

has anyone else had this issue?
I think part of the issue is the opposite, with the controller being so responsive that you are able to go from lock to lock to quickly.

I've had more luck with reducing the amount of countersteer I dial in and doing more with the throttle, however some of it is down to how sensitive the thumbstick is and certainly SMS need to work on that.

Also keep in mind that you will not always be able to catch it, cars on cold tyres, with a very short wheelbase and/or MR layout are going to be very, very difficult if not impossible to catch. Watching the glut of motorsport that was on over the weekend (N24, WTCC from the 'ring, F3 and ELMS at Imola) brought that home again.

What I find tricky is not really noticeable in an lmp2. The problem I'm having is with when the wheels spin (which doesn't happen much in the grippy high downforce cars), I have not once been able to counter steer and carry on. The car just spins out. If I lift off the throttle the car just keeps spinning, turning the wheel in the opposite direction mostly doesn't seem to stop it spinning, and on the rare occasion it does, the car turns and then violently snaps in the opposite direction (this bit reminds me of Forza's sim handling mode, which does recommend you to use a wheel).

Wheel users and videos show me this isn't a problem for wheel users. It should not be harder for controller users, it should be equal. If there was some technique to mastering the slides on controller I would stop moaning and learn it, but there isn't.

What system are you on? I'm on pad and can control wheelspin from standing, and catch some tail happy moments. One thing you must get out of your head is GT games. I loved GT and had it ingrained in my head that that's how a racing game should feel for years. 9 times out of 10 in PCars, if I lose the car, it's gone. Very little steering input and gently rolling off the throttle helps bringing it back, but there is no "this definitely works every time" way. There is no way you can make pad and wheel "equal" as you have more sensory feedback from a wheel. This doesn't mean a pad is slower, you just have develope your own way of feeling the grip.

What system are you on? I'm on pad and can control wheelspin from standing, and catch some tail happy moments. One thing you must get out of your head is GT games. I loved GT and had it ingrained in my head that that's how a racing game should feel for years. 9 times out of 10 in PCars, if I lose the car, it's gone. Very little steering input and gently rolling off the throttle helps bringing it back, but there is no "this definitely works every time" way. There is no way you can make pad and wheel "equal" as you have more sensory feedback from a wheel. This doesn't mean a pad is slower, you just have develope your own way of feeling the grip.
I don't think gt is the problem as I haven't played it since last year :lol:

Perhaps a different setup for the cars would help me.

I don't think gt is the problem as I haven't played it since last year :lol:

Perhaps a different setup for the cars would help me.

Easiest thing to try if you're having trouble with the back being too loose is a little bit of toe in at the rear. Failing that, raise the rear ride height a bit. These should make the back of the car a bit less frisky, without overly affecting other aspects of how the car handles.

If you're finding you lose it only in corners, try softening the rear roll bar. You may or may not need to also soften the front to keep the car feeling right, but I'd try just the rear to start with. It should be OK. Your other option is to add some rear camber, it might give you a bit more grip while you're in the corner. You can also try the opposite, stiffening the front roll bar and/or adding front camber. Sometimes "removing" grip from the front works better, and while it sounds dumb if it makes you go faster nobody cares that it's not the most grip you could have.

Also try softening your tyre pressures. You may find a good effect by having them a little softer than is strictly optimal for heating, just because it allows the sidewalls to flex a little more and deliver the acceleration more smoothly to the road and not skip so much over small bumps.

Hope some of that helps. :)

Just tried the 49 Cosworth, still using my same base Mode 3 control setup, DS4. This car will punish you for applying throttle haphazardly, but once you heat the tires up ~400º temps you get a lot of grip but you will have to still be smart with the throttle. This car has no downforce but it understeers heavily under braking but the reason all that over steer is there is because you can use it to turn the car. At first I was like omg wtf is this crap, so I put the telemetry on and watched what was happening and realized that this car is made to oversteer under heavy throttle, so if you can modulate the throttle well you'll be able to take to this car. This game really prides itself of being true to realism, controlling this car is unlike any car I have tried out. There is still the problem of the heavy understeer when braking which means you'll have to adjust your braking distances to cope or you can fiddle with damper settings to give you better turn in(I wouldn't as this car has wicked on throttle oversteer, loose car with coupled with that might be a recipe for disaster). Anyway, so far just taking the car around Catalunya it understeers under braking wheels locking, lots of oversteer under ill advised throttle.
It's a fine car and you have to respect it's build, no downforce tweaks whatsoever it has to rely on on-demand oversteer, remember warm those tires up to optimum temps or you'll find yourself losing grip during an upshift or two. Learn the car, then tune the car for the course. I have a feeling that this game might be too much for the average game player because it essentially gives you a two fold responsibility, as mechanic/engineer and driver, when most are used to being simply drivers. Well the community can help with anything you may be having trouble coping with cars and control in this game, one more thing before going ham on any car warm your tires up to optimal temperatures there is a massive difference to be had, some cars are impossible to control at speed until the tires reach cohesive temps for the asphalt. Back to my grind of tuning my Clio, this game is just amazing and has created a spot for itself in my schedule.

Last edited:
Has anyone had lack changing the twitchiness and responsiveness of the controller settings? I'm after a setup that feels precise as GT did on a controller.

I really dislike the twitchiness :(

Has anyone had lack changing the twitchiness and responsiveness of the controller settings? I'm after a setup that feels precise as GT did on a controller.

I really dislike the twitchiness :(

I'm in the same boat as you. I've tried multiple settings but still can't get over that twitchiness feeling. Just waiting for the T300 to get in stock back in the states, then I will have a wheel...

I'm in the same boat as you. I've tried multiple settings but still can't get over that twitchiness feeling. Just waiting for the T300 to get in stock back in the states, then I will have a wheel...

The twitchiness with just the slightest tap, is unbearable. It really let's the game down, I don't know what SMS was thinking when they implemented those settings for the controllers. How I envy wheel users right now.. lol.

I was going to buy a T300RS way back in January, but it's been flying out of stock every since!

The Caterham SP/300R stays twichy even when you fiddle with the setups .
This happen when you have high speed on the straight , it is hard to keep him in line .
Yes there is a setup , nevertheless it is still hard .
Sad/shame , just a beautiful car with a good sound .

The Caterham SP/300R stays twichy even when you fiddle with the setups .
This happen when you have high speed on the straight , it is hard to keep him in line .
Same goes for the Radicals. I'm zig-zagging down the straights with them. It isn't a problem with the other cars though.

Same goes for the Radicals. I'm zig-zagging down the straights with them. It isn't a problem with the other cars though.
Damn ,the Radicals to , i love those cars .
The formula A B and C are big fun to race with the DS4 , no
problem .Touring cars also big fun ,the GT3 and 4 are also good ,excerpt the Ruf ,this one has the same problem .
Anyway.....like the game .

Last edited:
Yesssssssssss , found a good setup with the gamepad for the Radical SR3-RS ....at last :sly:
Lets see what we can do for the Caterham SP/300.R .
Hopefully it go's the same way .

I feel the same way for the most part. Had little trouble getting the hang of the physics and tendencies of the cars. Read through this thread to see people boasting about these superior controller set-ups... I thought if it works better for them, it must be better for me even if I am not having issues. Long story short, back to default!

I'm watching qualifying for the Coke 600 at Charlotte right now. This track is, or is supposed to be, in the game! There aren't any ovals now, so we will NOT be able to completely emulate this epic weekend of racing!!! But, when the ovals are added, this twitchy issue will be unbearable. Going 200 mph in a pack of cars, making very slight steering inputs will be vital. The over sensitive jerky analog stick is going to frustrate a lot of people, especially online.

I think part of the issue is the opposite, with the controller being so responsive that you are able to go from lock to lock to quickly.

While this is certainly true with joy pads I do feel some dampening with steering response on pad. Not all situations though.

Try shifter karts at Chesterfield. The AI steam through the S-bends while I have to slow down to make it through. I do like the fact that if I power down to roll over the grass/kerbs I won't spin. Powering through tends to spin me out. The AI show that the kart will go through that section faster with a better racing line but trying to emulate them with a pad is hard work.

Need to sort a wheel out for this gen.

For me anything to stabilize the steering. It's just too sensitive with the Dpad. A tight chacane is simply a opportunity to spin out. I'll keep trying to find the golden setting. But I think I'll find another game to play until the G27 driver/profiler issues go away. And hopefully the DS4 controller will be modulated. I am sure there are a few who can manage with a Dpad for control. But I'm not of that number. And I cant see buying another wheel now.

I would like to play on PC, but the G27 USB driver and Logitech gaming software will not allow me to use my G27.
So I'm going to put this puppy on the shelf until the folks at Logitech, SMS and Microsoft come together.
I think eight months should do nicely.

If you can , change from Gamepad to wheel .
I've race with gamepad ,now since yesterday i drive with a T300 RS and man what a difference .
Not that lap-times are faster but it comes along love it .

Let's be honest, one cannot expect a game like PCARS to be playable using a "d-pad". The game is completely playable and enjoyable though on the PS4 using the analog sticks and assists, if necessary.

I learned years ago in GT5 that if I was ever going to get significantly better with a controller I would HAVE to ditch the D-pad and start learning how to use the sticks.

Steering with analogue sticks 'Assists Off': clearly some sort of 'de-accelerated steering input filter' is missing. Can't explain other way the wobbly steering in correction situations.

Hopefully the controller options in PCARS will allow me to set up something smooth that errs on the sluggish side. I prefer dampened input that allows me to flick back and forth to make small corrections.
I'm fine-tuning my control and aid set-up little by little as I go along, and I dont think I'm to far off from achieving this, as more often then not this is how I drove as well. I still do it now with the set up I have, but with a bit more finesse then what I used to, but I can tell that it really slows me down in FWD cars as its still a bit jerky. With the movements its causing me to slow around long bends as I'm not keeping it smooth, and it registering my inputs exactly how I'm sending them.

There are a few options for dampening in the settings, but what I'm noticing is that with stock settings and absolutely no aids on, the steering is set-up exactly like Forza's Simulation Steering. In other words, its way to snappy and is more suitable to wheel users. I turned on a setting called "Opposite Lock *Help(not sure exactly what it was, was probably assistance or something around that)" as well as "Soft Steering Dampening" and those seemed to get me closer to the goal that we have in mind. I have a setting called "Advanced" on, but I'm not sure exactly what it does yet as I haven't tested it with it on and with it off. There is also a setting in the tuning menu for the individual cars that slows or speeds up the turning radius, so I'm sure with some fine tuning of the controller as well as the actual car, we can achieve this. Next to finish up is my deadzone settings.

With all the tweak's I've been making, I've noticed a big change in car control. When I first started I was spinning out my Clio Cup a ridiculous amount of times while on cold tires. Even with heated tires I was spinning in places that I just thought where odd. With my current set up I can run cold tires with more ease, and more control, with very minor slip ups. I'm currently playing at 70%, and skipping qualifying just to place myself in the back of the pack as that's always more fun. With that said I'm able to get up to podium more often then not so these settings are doing me good.

This is what i've been dealing with:

For a quick look at the major problem skip to 3:25min at turn 3. The car gets loose and when i try to correct it snaps to other side like crazy!! And this is just a 1M... Imagine the Huayra or the P1. It's stupid... Plainly stupid.

Anyone knows what i can do to correct this? I am on on Mode 3, default settings... i've tried a few setups that i found here and even those can't help this problem... :(

I would like to enjoy this game but i just can't without a wheel and i can't justify to buy a wheel for this game because it has so many problems at the moment and i don't believe SMS will be able to fix them anytime soon. :( :(

I ve had the same problem, switched to Mode 2 and less sensivity and I m getting muss less oversteer correction troubles.

This is what i've been dealing with:

For a quick look at the major problem skip to 3:25min at turn 3. The car gets loose and when i try to correct it snaps to other side like crazy!! And this is just a 1M... Imagine the Huayra or the P1. It's stupid... Plainly stupid.

Anyone knows what i can do to correct this? I am on on Mode 3, default settings... i've tried a few setups that i found here and even those can't help this problem... :(

I would like to enjoy this game but i just can't without a wheel and i can't justify to buy a wheel for this game because it has so many problems at the moment and i don't believe SMS will be able to fix them anytime soon. :( :(

You really need to lower your steering sensitivity as well as raise your speed sensitivity a bit I would say. I would also say swich on the steering dampening. You can also try messing with Control filtering as well. Mess around a bit with those options and see how it does.

Back