PD expecting too much from gamers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter niceness-dk
  • 109 comments
  • 8,822 views
Messages
250
Denmark
Aarhus
Messages
niceness-dk
Hey fellow GT gamers.

For about one hour ago I finally reached level 30 after 5 days of grinding. Getting sick of that Indy track.. Oh well..

But now, as you might expect, I'm fighting with the Sebastian Vettel Special Event, and I'm something like 25 sec. of target (bronze, yes).. I really can't overlook the fact, that you actually have to be faster than Sebastian Vettel himself to get gold.. I noticed that he drove the Nurbrugring GP track in 1:04.xxx..

How can someone expect regular people like me just to pull that off? I've had no trouble with the rest of the event (well, except the Formula 1 championship, but I don't bother that for such a small prize).. At the moment the game has just become some grinding and trying-thing.. You know what I mean :D.. And it's becoming more and more pointless. D'oh..
 
It's a Level 30 "Challenge" for a reason.

But still, there is some validity to what he is saying! A game should be challenging, yes, but moderation in all things. If you really have to be quicker than the Formula 1 World champion (he won right?), it does set the bar a bit high, for everyone, but the absolute elite gamers.
 
It's a Level 30 "Challenge" for a reason.

Yes, I know that. I don't expect it to be easy. But I don't see why you have to be almost as good a driver as Sebastian Vettel. His a formula 1 driver. I study economics/financial stuff.. Just comparing..

I'm not crying about it. It's just a game, I know that.. It just makes me think..

But hey, now I can look forward to 250.000 laps of Indy to get to level 40 :D
 
I'd love to have a go at gold when i get there, whether i'll beat it however....

Also im only lvl 26 nearly 27 so need to do some stupid grinding to get there! 👎
 
It might be expecting a lot from people who are determined to platinum the game, but for the other 99.9% of gamers, they can just skip that challenge if they want.
 
But still, there is some validity to what he is saying! A game should be challenging, yes, but moderation in all things. If you really have to be quicker than the Formula 1 World champion (he won right?), it does set the bar a bit high, for everyone, but the absolute elite gamers.

That's why you can get the X1 with only Bronze.
 
The ammount of grinding needed in this game is just ludicrous. It was fine at the lower levels but after 20 everything takes years, you shouldnt have to repeat racing things you have already won over and over and over just to unlock something.

If there were more challenges available to get you to lvl30 then it wouldnt be much of an issue. I'm currently 23 A-Spec and 22 B-Spec.
 
It's a Level 30 "Challenge" for a reason.


There's a fine line between challenging and frustrating. GT games have always been set up in a way that sort of caters only to the "best of the best" gamers, leaving many average gamers (i.e. the majority of us) very frustrated.
 
It might be expecting a lot from people who are determined to platinum the game, but for the other 99.9% of gamers, they can just skip that challenge if they want.

I don't think people are concerned about completing 100 % of the game.. Some people are of course. Personally I just want to be able to drive the X1, and not just in the challenge, where I get 2-3 minuts and have to start over. It was one of the major marketing campains of their's. It's like saying "hey, we built the greatest car in the world, and most of you can't really drive it".. That's just cruel. I'm aware, that I'm exaggering a little.. But hopefully my point shines through..
 
In the past I played lord of the rings online and had several high level characters.
There where always quests and some grinding to reach the highest level .

But ,however I love GT5, the ammount of grinding to reach level 40 in this game is insane!!
So much more than a game like lord of the rings...and that for a racegame...

Everyone want than X1...but not everyone has the skills to get bronze...so yes for a lot of us it will be grinding till lvl 40 to buy the X1 (20.000.000 credits)..except if they come up with some nice content to make the journey more enjoyable.
 
Last edited:
The ammount of grinding needed in this game is just ludicrous. It was fine at the lower levels but after 20 everything takes years, you shouldnt have to repeat racing things you have already won over and over and over just to unlock something.

You're pretty much supposed to repeat events in all GT games. Who ever said they were one-off affairs? There in the game for you to play over and over. The level system is merely there to give people who keep playing the game a sense of progression. If you don't want to do it, don't!
 
I am sorry Mr. Hunt; This is not mission difficult. :lol:
 
See I didn't know that :)

But still I stand by what I wrote

I can see your point, but I think you're underestimating the hardcore gamers here. That gold prize is designed to be achieved by them with countless hot laps. In fact, there are already gold videos of the X1 Challenge in the other thread already! It was likely that Vettel only had an hour or two to set his record, and I'm ******re that he'll be able to do better with practice.

Also, I understand if they wanted to raise the limit. I wouldn't want my piece of art to be raped by players who don't know what they were doing. I think that's why they made the level system steep, and the grinding barely tolerable. It shows you who's persistent and who isn't.
 
But still, there is some validity to what he is saying! A game should be challenging, yes, but moderation in all things. If you really have to be quicker than the Formula 1 World champion (he won right?), it does set the bar a bit high, for everyone, but the absolute elite gamers.

That is the case for most challenging games though, you have to be one of those "elite" gamers to say get the Platinum trophy, for example in Wipeout HD. It is not meant to be a challenge that most people could do in like a day. It is something you meant to build yourself up to as you get used to the car. Even Sebastian Vettel had to practise before he became fast with this car. It is not impossible as someone has already got all golds on this challenge already and this game has only been out for less than two weeks.

Yes, I know that. I don't expect it to be easy. But I don't see why you have to be almost as good a driver as Sebastian Vettel. His a formula 1 driver. I study economics/financial stuff.. Just comparing..

I'm not crying about it. It's just a game, I know that.. It just makes me think..

But hey, now I can look forward to 250.000 laps of Indy to get to level 40 :D

I think you can get the car if you get all bronzes, so if you spend enough time getting used to the car, you should be able to get bronze. If you are using a control pad then obviously it will be hard, but bronze should be achievable for most wheel users who have got to this stage.
 
And people were whining because you can't challenge the Stig's times directly :P

I think it's a cool challenge, but I doubt I'm ever going to get golds on it. Heck I have a long way to go to even unlock it...I'm looking forward to earning the X1. I'm completely confident I can at least get bronzes.
 
Did you expect to complete the game in only 5 days? Why r u in such a hurry to reach the lvl cap and complete the game?

It's supposed to be a racing simulator, which takes time to improve your driving skills. Part of the sense of accomplishment that comes with racing "sims" is it takes time and effort to improve your car handling skills and learning how to tune your car so it performs better on track.

I mean this is a nice way (really), but if you didn't expect to take the time to learn how to be a better racer and improve your lap times, as one should expect from a "driving simulator", then the Need For Speed games or GRID are better suited for that. It wouldn't be much of a simulator if you are running lap times comparable to actual pro racers after only 5 days of driving.

I think it's great that they added a challenge where someone could actually test their own driving skills against someone like Vettel. How many games can offer that kind of challenge or competing against a pro? It's an added bonus that doesn't have to be done to enjoy the game but a great reward for those beat Vettel. Although, for those of us that CAN'T beat Vettel, it should be an optional purchase to get the experience of driving the X1 car.
 
I think I posted twice...sorry about that.
 
I think you can get the car if you get all bronzes, so if you spend enough time getting used to the car, you should be able to get bronze. If you are using a control pad then obviously it will be hard, but bronze should be achievable for most wheel users who have got to this stage.

I am using a control pad. After almost 2 hours of practicing, I don't get closer than 18 seconds. And that is just the first track. I assume it will be nearly the same story with the other tracks.

Don't get me wrong. I like challenges. I love them. But I really don't like these kinds of challenges. It takes you several hours of racing for 18 days (I got the game november 19. and have been playing constantly since then) to get to a challenge, which may be impossible for a lot of people to complete.

I had trouble getting gold in the intermediate AMG full lap. Took me 6 hours. But from the start I had a feeling that I could do it. At this challenge.. I don't.

I've thrown a lot of time in just to get to level 30. Maybe PD could make the X1 available in arcade mode, so everyone can join the fun. Then the hardcore gamers and the greatest drivers can own the track online and so on..
 
You're pretty much supposed to repeat events in all GT games. Who ever said they were one-off affairs? There in the game for you to play over and over. The level system is merely there to give people who keep playing the game a sense of progression. If you don't want to do it, don't!

I don't agree with you.
In GT4, you didn't have to grind the way you have to do now.
The sense of progression came from the percentage completed and possibly the increase in difficulty of events (compareable with but different from the 'level' we have now). That is all the sense of progression I need to be honest.
The experience grind seems to be out of place here. The level system seems to be meant to decrease the pace at which a gamer goes through the game (not increase the sense of progression), but it does that a bit too well... at some level there is apparently no pace left.
This feels a bit like a trick to cover the lack of events, but I might be completely wrong on that.
 
I am using a control pad. After almost 2 hours of practicing, I don't get closer than 18 seconds. And that is just the first track. I assume it will be nearly the same story with the other tracks.

Don't get me wrong. I like challenges. I love them. But I really don't like these kinds of challenges. It takes you several hours of racing for 18 days (I got the game november 19. and have been playing constantly since then) to get to a challenge, which may be impossible for a lot of people to complete.

I had trouble getting gold in the intermediate AMG full lap. Took me 6 hours. But from the start I had a feeling that I could do it. At this challenge.. I don't.

I've thrown a lot of time in just to get to level 30. Maybe PD could make the X1 available in arcade mode, so everyone can join the fun. Then the hardcore gamers and the greatest drivers can own the track online and so on..

I think the Monza track should suit you using the game pad. Have you watched the replays of the gold time, look how late they brake and the speed they carry through the corners. 18 seconds off the Bronze time seems to be quite a lot to make up. You should be able to take some corners flat out as the faster you go the more downforce you will get. Maybe you are slowing down too much?

I think some people have got Bronze already using a control pad but I'm not sure, all I know is a wheel user has got all golds and by a good margin.
 
You're pretty much supposed to repeat events in all GT games. Who ever said they were one-off affairs? There in the game for you to play over and over. The level system is merely there to give people who keep playing the game a sense of progression. If you don't want to do it, don't!

I do think there is a difference between having to do it a few times and having to grind it dozens and dozens of times though... especially with so relatively few events (even fewer if you consider the ones that give a reasonable XP for the time) to choose from...
 
Hey fellow GT gamers.

For about one hour ago I finally reached level 30 after 5 days of grinding. Getting sick of that Indy track.. Oh well..

But now, as you might expect, I'm fighting with the Sebastian Vettel Special Event, and I'm something like 25 sec. of target (bronze, yes).. I really can't overlook the fact, that you actually have to be faster than Sebastian Vettel himself to get gold.. I noticed that he drove the Nurbrugring GP track in 1:04.xxx..

How can someone expect regular people like me just to pull that off? I've had no trouble with the rest of the event (well, except the Formula 1 championship, but I don't bother that for such a small prize).. At the moment the game has just become some grinding and trying-thing.. You know what I mean :D.. And it's becoming more and more pointless. D'oh..


Its just like real life, more you practice better you are, Even if you are an AVERAGE gamer, you can still get all BRONZE medals and win the game. I like GT games because all can play but if your really HARDCORE player you distinguish yourself by getting all GOLD trophies. I hate that many games these days are SUPER EASY, everyone can get a PLATINUM trophy in Uncharted 2 , but only the hardcore can get Platinum trophy in GT5.
 
There's a fine line between challenging and frustrating. GT games have always been set up in a way that sort of caters only to the "best of the best" gamers, leaving many average gamers (i.e. the majority of us) very frustrated.

It depends on what your expectations are. I currently see it as a challenge to get Gold on some events but Bronze on others. Everyone's level is different and at least with this game it takes actual skill with the pad/wheel to win the best events/challenges wheras some games are 99% luck. I love to go for trophies and try and get platinum (12 so far) but to do it with this game is one step too far for me. Lower your expectations and enjoy the game for what it is.
 
I think the Monza track should suit you using the game pad. Have you watched the replays of the gold time, look how late they brake and the speed they carry through the corners. 18 seconds off the Bronze time seems to be quite a lot to make up. You should be able to take some corners flat out as the faster you go the more downforce you will get. Maybe you are slowing down too much?

I think some people have got Bronze already using a control pad but I'm not sure, all I know is a wheel user has got all golds and by a good margin.

I haven't unlocked the X1 challenge, but this is exactly what I expect. Modern F1 cars - by almost all accounts - are like this. There is a deadzone where your not fast enough, so you can't go around corners at speed, but your fast enough you don't have mechanical grip. It seems like you can't go faster, when the reality very well could be your not going fast enough and the car has plenty left.

I'd expect the X1 to be even more like that given it's specs. I think it's a bit too much to fathom TBH, your brain says "No, that is unpossible, not happening, brakes!" even though the car says "Hehehehe".

I would agree, the Experience Grind is a bit much. I'm on level 23.5 and I have most of the A Spec races complete. I have 2 series left in 3 classes, and that's it. Not cool.
 
Did you expect to complete the game in only 5 days? Why r u in such a hurry to reach the lvl cap and complete the game?

It's supposed to be a racing simulator, which takes time to improve your driving skills. Part of the sense of accomplishment that comes with racing "sims" is it takes time and effort to improve your car handling skills and learning how to tune your car so it performs better on track.

I mean this is a nice way (really), but if you didn't expect to take the time to learn how to be a better racer and improve your lap times, as one should expect from a "driving simulator", then the Need For Speed games or GRID are better suited for that. It wouldn't be much of a simulator if you are running lap times comparable to actual pro racers after only 5 days of driving.

I think it's great that they added a challenge where someone could actually test their own driving skills against someone like Vettel. How many games can offer that kind of challenge or competing against a pro? It's an added bonus that doesn't have to be done to enjoy the game but a great reward for those beat Vettel. Although, for those of us that CAN'T beat Vettel, it should be an optional purchase to get the experience of driving the X1 car.

No, I really don't expect to complete the game in 5 days.. Or 5 weeks.. But I'm at the point, where I have completed the majority of the a-spec events. I would LOVE more events. What I hate is to retry the same event over and over again for hours and days..

I agree with you on the last part though. It certainly should be available for purchase. Not from the beginning. But also not at the end. Maybe at level 30. For the same price. Grinding for cash is no problem for me, if it has a purpose..

EDIT: I think the reason why I'm in "such a hurry" is that I'm a car collector, and I love trying out all the cars at the Nordschleife, TG Test Trach etc.. Mostly time trials to compare the cars to each other. Kind of ironic that I can't beat a time trial.. Hmm.. Heheheh..
 
Last edited:
Back