PD expecting too much from gamers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter niceness-dk
  • 109 comments
  • 8,822 views
One thing that would be nice with the net connectivity and involvement in GT5 is if PD could accumulate some data on how well the population is doing with their game. It does seem that PD is filled with skillful drivers, and this may be skewing their perception of what is achievable. Maybe if they find that with some events, such as the Loeb Rally things, that very few are able to complete it, they could ease the non-gold requirements a bit. The same for the Top Gear Track challenges. While I managed to gold the TT challenges, the SL Rally stuff is kicking my tush. I'm finding that rallying on gravel in general is way more slippery than I think it should be. In fact, to me it feels a little like snow, but snow gives me much less trouble, go figure.

The X1 Challenge flat out scares me...
 
The good chances are when GT6 come out you will be still in the middle of GT5

I only have gold trophies and there's only about 10 events I haven't done yet + half the licences as they bore the hell out of me.
 
Some tips for the Seb Loeb Rally, i tried them tonight and polished them off quite fast. Turn off traction control (even with a controller, i did the gravel with my gamepad), secondly don't try to be too fast, slow and controlled, thirdly try not to be too sideways (especially on the final snow one, steering wheel helped loads here as the FFB lets you know when the wheels have grip, but definitely doable with a controller).


On the snow control your throttle so you almost never wheel spin, the car will be driving within its grip range rather than power sliding around, if you can do that you will gain a lot of time and get Gold so long as you can reach the end.

Slow and steady, if you enter a corner too fast, even if you make it you will be spinning and sliding around for about a year before you're up to speed again. I got Gold in all these without much trouble using those simple ideas.

If you think the game has too low grip on gravel, its because you're trying to drive too fast.
 
The good chances are when GT6 come out you will be still in the middle of GT5
I highly doubt that >:)
60 golds on licences and gold thru intermediate on all special events (advanced on karting and nascar:yuck:). No aids. BTW GT5 is my first gran turismo game and I got the wheel a week before release.
Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging...Just proud of my progress...loving the game. I'm not really a gamer turned "simulator," I'm more of a racing enthusiast turned onto videogames.
 
I feel that the real issue here is that fact that many of us have lives. We have school, work, kids, wives, girlfriends, yard work, and a REAL LIFE to tend to and playing games is time consuming and we want to spend that time having fun and "leveling up" while doing it. Most of us don't have 40 hours a week to dedicate to just ONE game. We're also playing other games too like Call of Duty Black Ops (which has an awesome leveling up system btw). They need to find a balance for the busy, hard working individual who wants to sit down in the evening and playing maybe for an hour or two before having to go fix supper with the family, walk the dog, or get ready for work the next day (or do it all.) You see...in the time we play games (and many of us play more than one game too!), we want to enjoy them not feel like as if we have to spend our entire lives on them because we simply cannot do that and that IS unreasonable for them to expect that from us.
 
i think it's the other way around, gamers expecting too much from PD.

everyday on this forums i see people whine about the stupidest things. i wonder how they are in real life
 
advanced on karting

This one doesn't count, it's hard to finish in karting events less than 6 seconds ahead of first AI.

Usual GT AI stuff - with same car it's like beating kids
 
If you're whining about grinding you should ask yourself, what are you grinding for? If you don't enjoy the act of playing the game then why are you playing it? No one is forcing you to lap indy over and over again.

You will naturally get to level 30 eventually (without wanting to gouge your eyeballs) if you just take your time doing a nice mix between different races you like. I like the nordschleffe, so I do the german touring car race over and over again for fun. I find the JGTC races to have the most level playing ground between me and the ai, so I do those for some bumper to bumper action. Ive finally started being able to afford some group C cars, so I enjoy the gt allstars races, or do time trials, or one-make races. Who cares if it's efficient or productive. Its a video game, play it for fun

Who cares if it takes you a week or 6 months to get to level 30? Are you saying that the game isnt fun except for driving the x1? Wouldnt you complain if you had a game where you unlock the best, most prestigious, sought after item in 2 days without even practicing for a while?
I would
 
Western gamers expect everything to be handed over easily.👎

Work for it and it will be much more satisfying.


meh, just my 2 cents.
 
I find the JGTC races to have the most level playing ground between me and the ai, so I do those for some bumper to bumper action.

Sounds cool. So far AI passes me like wind on straights and stuck in turns where I catching up. Not exactly bumper to bumper.

Though I'm only in professional now
 
Sounds cool. So far AI passes me like wind on straights and stuck in turns where I catching up. Not exactly bumper to bumper.

Though I'm only in professional now

Ya for a lot of events i was just generally unimpressed with the AI. For German touring car championships in extreme, I didnt put a single upgrade into my M3 GTR, and yet I won every race by at least 20 seconds. Like the Wind and Gt All stars have been similar experiences.

It could be my inexperience with the Japanese tracks (I find sector 3 on fuji to be super awkward), but all three races in those events were very competitive. I had the opposite problem as you the first couple times i raced fuji. The AI dominated me on a few of the turns, drafting on the straights was what kept me in it
 
There's a fine line between challenging and frustrating. GT games have always been set up in a way that sort of caters only to the "best of the best" gamers, leaving many average gamers (i.e. the majority of us) very frustrated.

This was definitely my opinion with GT4, however so far in GT5 it seems much more balanced. I estimate that less than 2% of all GT4 players were able to achieve 100% gold. But I think it is a much, much higher percentage this time around. Look at the 60 golds thread here for instance. This is a huge improvement over GT4. Had my TV not blown up when it did, I was expecting to hit 55 or 60 gold on GT4, but no expectation at all of 100%. In GT5, yeah I think I can do it.
 
my gawd... instant gratification generation... want everything given, don't want to work for anything... I feel sad for our youth. sad. 👎

Instant gratification? Damn right, spending 50 hours at work, plus family, sport etc, then having a few hours a week will do that to you.

Funny. I thought I bought a game. If I wanted to "work for something" I would have just stayed at work.
 
This was definitely my opinion with GT4, however so far in GT5 it seems much more balanced. I estimate that less than 2% of all GT4 players were able to achieve 100% gold. But I think it is a much, much higher percentage this time around. Look at the 60 golds thread here for instance. This is a huge improvement over GT4. Had my TV not blown up when it did, I was expecting to hit 55 or 60 gold on GT4, but no expectation at all of 100%. In GT5, yeah I think I can do it.
Don't take that into consideration, this is where hardcore players come for the most part. Not really casual gamers. I had all golds in GT3 and GT4, and have them now. None of the games were any harder if you ask me. I will say, these tests were more fun to do, especially the S license. It might be a little easier, but I will take fun over difficulty on this matter. I just wish they gave better prizes for Golds and stuff. Out of all the cars in the game, they give some garbage.
 
This game is meant to be played for years... its been less than a month and you guys are trying to reach the final level!!

Stop and smell the roses if you will...
 
Stop and smell the roses if you will...

I think what they're getting at is that there's only one rose in the middle of this dead desert, and they've been sniffing (grinding) it like it was cocaine.
 
Instant gratification? Damn right, spending 50 hours at work, plus family, sport etc, then having a few hours a week will do that to you.

Funny. I thought I bought a game. If I wanted to "work for something" I would have just stayed at work.

I want to work to get the good things in the game. But at the same time I also want to feel that I'm getting somwhere. Yes, I do get XP for all the races, but where's the reward for getting to level 31 for example? It's gonna take days to level up. Later on, weeks, perhaps even months. All that time feeling you aren't moving on at all. Somehow I felt like it was too rewarding in the beginning. Got to level 4 just for completing the first license in less than an hour. Now I only get the little money, which I already have enough of.

But I love the game, and now I'm gonna try out the new damage system-thing, whatever they have updated :D
 
I haven't read the whole thread so this has most likely been said already. The case says "The Real Driving Simulator", to me this means that a novice driver will not be able to get gold in everything until his driving skills improve. Although ultimately we would all like to get all golds the GT series seems to me to be more about having a blast driving cars, having fun racing and improving your skills as a driver. You don't need all gold to have a blast driving cars, races that are easy to win are not fun IMO and a game that humours poor drivers by handing out gold for average driving doesn't offer much incentive to improve your skills.

That said I also do not think the crap AI and forcing drivers to drive their cars unrealistically and dangerously does much to improve drivers either. I'd like gold at the highest levels to be extremely hard to achieve and only attainable by expert drivers but I'd also like the AI to be expert drivers at this level and the challenges to be more realistic but still incredibly difficult. I would hope that if I attained all gold it was because I have developed exceptional driving skills, I would be disappointed if "The Real Driving Simulator" humoured me by giving me all gold even though I only have average skills or even if I am just a pretty good driver.
 
7HO
I haven't read the whole thread so this has most likely been said already. The case says "The Real Driving Simulator", to me this means that a novice driver will not be able to get gold in everything until his driving skills improve. Although ultimately we would all like to get all golds the GT series seems to me to be more about having a blast driving cars, having fun racing and improving your skills as a driver. You don't need all gold to have a blast driving cars, races that are easy to win are not fun IMO and a game that humours poor drivers by handing out gold for average driving doesn't offer much incentive to improve your skills.

That said I also do not think the crap AI and forcing drivers to drive their cars unrealistically and dangerously does much to improve drivers either. I'd like gold at the highest levels to be extremely hard to achieve and only attainable by expert drivers but I'd also like the AI to be expert drivers at this level and the challenges to be more realistic but still incredibly difficult. I would hope that if I attained all gold it was because I have developed exceptional driving skills, I would be disappointed if "The Real Driving Simulator" humoured me by giving me all gold even though I only have average skills or even if I am just a pretty good driver.

QFE. Very well said. I think the AI in the arcade mode can be very unbalanced at times where they are either too easy or too hard. The career mode AI seems okay to me so far and definitely seems to be getting harder as I progress.
 
Back