PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

The penalty system debate has highlighted many shortcomings. It seems to be the consensus that most folk want nothing more than to be allowed to enjoy online racing free from the attentions of those who wish to behave badly.

Whether penalties are the way to achieve this or not is problematical.

I hold to my original concept of a facility to enable blocking of players.

Meanwhile, here is a prime example of how badly the penalty system is broken. The driver in the green Mclaren, who is apparently the Portuguese Ambassador for International Goodwill, performs a neat sideways shunt, pushing an overtaking car off the track, then goes for the mother of all divebombs on the next corner. (WHY?)

He gets NO penalty.

He gets pushed wider than he wanted to go by the car overtaking him so I see why he would not be in the mood to leave any room for the Spaniard after he gets hit 3 times by him. The dive bomb could be a revenge punt on the black car for something that happened earlier.

It's not right, but this is the kind of driving you get with a broken penalty system made worse by a broken SR system.

I'll probably be in the lower SR ranges this week. After last night the gloves are off and I'm no fan of NGP anyway. Race A and B have little SR to gain and one BS penalty is at least -5 SR for the race. I'm not going to tip toe around anymore so BS penalties will be a given with this system and the nature of Good wood and Yamigawa. It's all upside down now anyway, SR.A has cleaner races than SR.S, has been like that for a long time but nowadays the difference is far more pronounced.

I tried race B this morning, got rammed, pit manoevered by nose stickers, bumped off, nvm. I'll give race A a try. I guess I need to bump some people off to get out of SR.S.

Last edited:
... The dive bomb could be a revenge punt on the black car for something that happened earlier. ...

That's my impression too, especially since the McLaren driver doesn't act overly dirty ( not at all ) up to that punt.
The whole clip made me think retaliation against the black car is all he's after.
@urtica
You are the driver of the black car. Has there been a race incident between you and him earlier in the race ?

Btw
Replays are way more useful when displaying race data and driver inputs 👍 ...

Last edited:
interesting , seems like you can push a car off track at the Yama chicane they will get the off track penalty everytime

You can also get a penalty at the hairpin if a car taps your rear and goes off track.

I got a 3 second penalty, with no explanation, for a car coming from 1/4 a second back, taps my right rear whilst I am braking, they head off track and I get the penalty. Bearing in mind I am right on the apex of the corner turning in. God knows where the other car was going to go, but off they went. Red S at the end for me, blue S for them. So, the tap and off track penalty still exists.

Well, I've been following this thread for a couple weeks. In the mean time I ran a couple races in SPORT mode, and found some of the things complained about to be true. For the most part, I felt if you are clean and fast enough to stay away from the racers with bad intentions, these new penalties shouldn't affect you. Tonight I tried a few races in a couple different Race Selections. The racing has gone completely out of control.

In my opinion, any time you reward someone for making contact with the car in front, you have completely destroyed the element of fair competition. What incentive is there for the following car to not make contact with the car in front of them; thereby forcing them off track in a corner? None? Just that racer's conscience? Well, this is no place for a sociology experiment.

Dive-bombing and nudging through a corner are the dirtiest tricks used in online racing. And now it seems GTSport is rewarding them. Such a disappointment. In my honest opinion, PD knows this is happening. I think they're using it to collect data to prevent online racing incidents that can have huge public embarrassments. Incidents that can award championships like what happened in Eau Rouge at the Esports SPA race.

EDIT: Frankly, as an occasional player, I find no reason to play this game online until there's an improvement to the penalty system. There's far too many other games to enjoy rather than getting frustrated with unfair abuse from untalented or disrespectful drivers.

Last edited:
Check this thing out:

That's not me but I would've uninstalled the game right then and there. This wintech guy just takes a regular racing line through the last chicane, on the last lap of the race, and gets punished for it. Like what the hell.

That's not me but I would've uninstalled the game right then and there. This wintech guy just takes a regular racing line through the last chicane, on the last lap of the race, and gets punished for it. Like what the hell.
Side-to-side contact in the braking zone and the other car goes off. Wasn't his fault, but that's always been risky.

Pity the clip cuts out just as he's about to take revenge :lol:

Check this thing out:

Side-to-side contact in the braking zone and the other car goes off. Wasn't his fault, but that's always been risky.

Interesting. Last week at Bathurst this happened to me many times coming into the Chase. Except I was the one going off and also the one getting the penalty. And I'm sure I'm not alone. So, that's consistency right there. :lol:

Interesting. Last week at Bathurst this happened to me many times coming into the Chase. Except I was the one going off and also the one getting the penalty. And I'm sure I'm not alone. So, that's consistency right there. :lol:
I had it in 1.53 where nobody went off (or even, on my screen, had contact), but I got a seven-second penalty...

Well, I've been following this thread for a couple weeks. In the mean time I ran a couple races in SPORT mode, and found some of the things complained about to be true. For the most part, I felt if you are clean and fast enough to stay away from the racers with bad intentions, these new penalties shouldn't affect you. Tonight I tried a few races in a couple different Race Selections. The racing has gone completely out of control.

In my opinion, any time you reward someone for making contact with the car in front, you have completely destroyed the element of fair competition. What incentive is there for the following car to not make contact with the car in front of them; thereby forcing them off track in a corner? None? Just that racer's conscience? Well, this is no place for a sociology experiment.

Dive-bombing and nudging through a corner are the dirtiest tricks used in online racing. And now it seems GTSport is rewarding them. Such a disappointment. In my honest opinion, PD knows this is happening. I think they're using it to collect data to prevent online racing incidents that can have huge public embarrassments. Incidents that can award championships like what happened in Eau Rouge at the Esports SPA race.

EDIT: Frankly, as an occasional player, I find no reason to play this game online until there's an improvement to the penalty system. There's far too many other games to enjoy rather than getting frustrated with unfair abuse from untalented or disrespectful drivers.

I wanted to race in lower SR since SR.S is so screwed up right now. So lowered my SR a bit with the drive back and forth and quit method then figured if I drive a bit dirty, brake a little too late, stuff it up the inside, push people out in the corner, one penalty a race should keep me out of SR.S in race A. What happens, none of my dirty moves gets a penalty, I finish 2nd from starting last, penalty free while 'helping' a bunch of people onto the grass gaining SR again. Meanwhile some of them did get penalties.... When I finally get a penalty it's from someone doing that to me lol.

I updated Dirt rally 2 instead. At least that's the right kind of dirt.

That's my impression too, especially since the McLaren driver doesn't act overly dirty ( not at all ) up to that punt.
The whole clip made me think retaliation against the black car is all he's after.
@urtica
You are the driver of the black car. Has there been a race incident between you and him earlier in the race ?

Btw
Replays are way more useful when displaying race data and driver inputs 👍 ...

It was not a retaliation. The offending driver and myself had had no contact, no incidents, nothing whatever, I was two places ahead of him from the start. The punt happened on the first lap. He had got a 7 second penalty for forcing another car off track, just before the punt incident.

I don't know what was going through his mind, but he rammed me at random. I just happened to be there.

My point was that he did not get a penalty for ramming me.

He quit the race later on.

Thanks for the tip about displaying race data and driver inputs - I will have to find out how to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pity the clip cuts out just as he's about to take revenge :lol:

Risky - with current penalty system, true, but come on. You can't predict someone else will just bump off you when you are ahead and on the racing line.

About the revenge - it hasn't actually given him any other penalty :lol:, he ended up finishing 3rd but was demoted to I think 5th or 6th. I got 4th 'thanks' to this, let's say, controversial incident.

I wanted to race in lower SR since SR.S is so screwed up right now. So lowered my SR a bit with the drive back and forth and quit method then figured if I drive a bit dirty, brake a little too late, stuff it up the inside, push people out in the corner, one penalty a race should keep me out of SR.S in race A.
I've always thought about doing this, not intentionally getting a penalty per race, but deliberately lowering my ratings to influence the matchmaking. I've held onto B/S for so long and at this rating range, there's a lot of really skilled and clean players, but also it has its fair share of dirty and abusive players (abusive as in taking advantage of the penalty system for their gain and another player's loss). Most of the races I have are clean for the most part, but always in the field of players, there's one who wants to soil the experience for everyone else.

Part of me wants to disregard maintaining my rating, since I presume it's just as easy to get back. Getting to DR B took me a while to climb up to, but SR seems so easy to gain just by doing a Race C. I've seen posts of players deliberately lowering their ratings to get better matched/get easier wins, which is something I'm not looking for, instead it's a better field of players. I just don't have the consistency nor skill to keep up with the more-skilled and cleaner players, yet I also am running out of tolerance for those who abuse the penalty system and ruin the racing experience for myself and others.

I got 2 1sec penalties at Yami, mildly brushed one when I went slightly wide, fair enough, 2nd was a tosser in a GT-R barging through. Neither left the track and both gained positions. Went from SR 99 to 84, trip around Nurburgring GP required to boost SR back up.

I got 2 1sec penalties at Yami, mildly brushed one when I went slightly wide, fair enough, 2nd was a tosser in a GT-R barging through. Neither left the track and both gained positions. Went from SR 99 to 84, trip around Nurburgring GP required to boost SR back up.

Yeah, the chicane after the downhill section is a great place for gamers to gain positions and hand out penalties.

Had a Green & Yellow flagged racer in an AMG 2 cars behind coming down the hill and into the braking zone; they were a good 3/4 of a second behind. They come barreling through the chicane, taking the car out that was behind me, who took then took me out, causing me to slide into the car in front of me, which causes them to take someone else out 2. I'm the only one to get a penalty; 2 seconds penalty for forcing a car off track. The punter does actually go off track, but gets going very quickly compared to the carnage they left behind.

Red S at the end for mo, and down to 95 SR from 99. The punter? Finishes 3 cars ahead and gets a blue S at the end. A couple other racers called them out for being dirty at the end of the race.

Made it to DR B over the weekend having started online in late December. I thought better drivers would be in there, but the carnage is worse if anything. My SR has gone from a constant S down to B and I'm heading for C again - so frustrating when you're trying to be clean.

Idiots in race B again this evening, which has cost me more SR points (back to 53 now) and this is all down to 'hot heads' being macho. One moron had taken the final bend badly and lost exit speed, so I passed cleanly on the straight towards the finish line. The next thing I know is that I'm being side swiped into the barrier because the twit cannot accept it's lost a place. Pathetic!

Made it to DR B over the weekend having started online in late December. I thought better drivers would be in there, but the carnage is worse if anything. My SR has gone from a constant S down to B and I'm heading for C again - so frustrating when you're trying to be clean.

Idiots in race B again this evening, which has cost me more SR points (back to 53 now) and this is all down to 'hot heads' being macho. One moron had taken the final bend badly and lost exit speed, so I passed cleanly on the straight towards the finish line. The next thing I know is that I'm being side swiped into the barrier because the twit cannot accept it's lost a place. Pathetic!

Welcome to DR B. You’ll be fighting here for a while. I’m B as well and I’m fighting to get to 20k alone lol

Yeah, can't be just me. Something must be off with the system between the chicane and hairpin at Yamigiwa. All three instances I'm the victim and I don't even gain an advantage.

After that third one I figured, well if I'm going to do the time I might as well do the crime... if it was even one at that :rolleyes:

Random yellow flag penalty in Race B. I am in 16th, cars 14 & 15 take each other off the track at the downhill chicane. Both off the track, fully. I go into 14th......bam, 3 second penalty for ignoring yellow flags. WTF?

Made it to DR B over the weekend having started online in late December. I thought better drivers would be in there, but the carnage is worse if anything

DR B is a bigger rank range than DR D and C together so since you recently reached it, races aren't likely going to radically change from high DR C. You'll be at the point where people can bounce between DRs.

I recently hit B myself and I'm beginning to see some improvement. Less people wanting to barge/drive through you and more respect being shown to others on the track. It's worth persisting, I'd take it over the chaos I usually saw at C.

Last edited:
I'm going down towards C this week, after 3 weeks of climbing (up to 14k, yesterday brought me down to 11k). There might very well be a bit of yoyo-ing before I find my place for good.

I hear ya. I also yoyo. I was in DR A but lost it due to people faster than me and the crap that goes on. Now I do FIA and only daily races I’m comfortable with, like now with Race B @ Kyoto-Yamigawa.

I'm going down towards C this week, after 3 weeks of climbing (up to 14k, yesterday brought me down to 11k). There might very well be a bit of yoyo-ing before I find my place for good.

I'm in the same place. Have made steady progress up to 13,314 points, but have dropped very slightly having been shunted off track by the kids. A couple more bad experiences could blow it back to C and my eyes are always in the mirror looking for the dive bomber.

I've found the most successful races to gain points are where I'm placed with people with faster qualifying times, so I end up being below say 11th on the grid. This reduces the number of idiots behind me intent on doing damage and I normally manage to better my start position by 5 or 6 because the fighters in front of me have driven eachother off the track. It seems to me that if you bust a gut to secure a great qualifying time / high grid position, you become the fox in front of the hounds and nerves set in and can lead to mistakes. If you're near the back, then there's a lot less to lose, unless you have lower ranked drivers who finish before you.

Does this make sense, or am I totally misguided in this approach?

I'm in the same place. Have made steady progress up to 13,314 points, but have dropped very slightly having been shunted off track by the kids. A couple more bad experiences could blow it back to C and my eyes are always in the mirror looking for the dive bomber.

I've found the most successful races to gain points are where I'm placed with people with faster qualifying times, so I end up being below say 11th on the grid. This reduces the number of idiots behind me intent on doing damage and I normally manage to better my start position by 5 or 6 because the fighters in front of me have driven eachother off the track. It seems to me that if you bust a gut to secure a great qualifying time / high grid position, you become the fox in front of the hounds and nerves set in and can lead to mistakes. If you're near the back, then there's a lot less to lose, unless you have lower ranked drivers who finish before you.

Does this make sense, or am I totally misguided in this approach?
I agree to a certain extent. It's good to be ahead if you can stay ahead. But with dickbags in the race it's better to start at a safer spot like you say.

Had a go on race B today. First 2 quite clean and good. Third one, carnage. Guy in pink(ish) Beetle rams me on the side when I was overtaking him on a straight, I spin without hitting the wall and I get 1 sec penalty while he gets nothing. Got back to the group, got dive-bombed and another 1sec penalty for me.... Then in the hairpin I made a small mistake and I brake a bit late, slightly pushed the car in front which doesn't lose control or anything and stays in front of me... HE gets a 1sec penalty and I get a green SR for the sector.

Me no understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 cars going all bunched up at the yama hairpin , surprisingly everybody take the corner unscathed , only trading some paint , i didnt even gained a position but somehow THE ONLY ONE to get a penalty is me , i goddamn love it when it happens in the last lap and you lose 5 places just like that , seriously PD just deactivate this fuming pile of bullcrap

Latest Posts

Back