PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

... It seems to me that if you bust a gut to secure a great qualifying time / high grid position, you become the fox in front of the hounds and nerves set in and can lead to mistakes. If you're near the back, then there's a lot less to lose, unless you have lower ranked drivers who finish before you. ...

I agree to a certain extent. It's good to be ahead if you can stay ahead. But with dickbags in the race it's better to start at a safer spot like you say.

Hey Grandpa, hey Jagman, :)
I can't remember having heard any RL racer say "I don't want a top spot in the starting grid, I prefer starting from the back."
Isn't it mind-boggling what Sport Mode does :rolleyes: ? Who are we - racers or gamers ?

Welcome to DR B. You’ll be fighting here for a while. I’m B as well and I’m fighting to get to 20k alone lol

Yep. I remember a few weeks ago reaching 20k at Dragon Trail Seaside only to have asshats come out in droves to punt me down 5k. After seeing the stupidity of the penalty system at Yamagiwa, I'm inclined to just hang out & wait for the next update. I'd like to say that we know it could only get better, but we've seen worse.

Hey Grandpa, hey Jagman, :)
I can't remember having heard any RL racer say "I don't want a top spot in the starting grid, I prefer starting from the back."
Isn't it mind-boggling what Sport Mode does :rolleyes: ? Who are we - racers or gamers ?

Of course we want to be quickest, on top of the grid and then go onto win with skilful driving. However, the issue we have (covered relentlessly within this thread) is that 'gamers' don't take this particular game seriously and their mission is not to pass you cleanly, but to ram you into the gravel at the first opportunity. So, in my mind, you have to think of ways to increase points safely, without being demoted in both DR and SR constantly, which is totally demoralising. If the penalty system penalised the hitters, bargers and punters, instead of handing time penalties to the victims, people like me wouldn't have to look for alternative tactics and style to reach our goals.

Of course we want to be quickest, on top of the grid and then go onto win with skilful driving. However, the issue we have (covered relentlessly within this thread) is that 'gamers' don't take this particular game seriously and their mission is not to pass you cleanly, but to ram you into the gravel at the first opportunity. So, in my mind, you have to think of ways to increase points safely, without being demoted in both DR and SR constantly, which is totally demoralising. If the penalty system penalised the hitters, bargers and punters, instead of handing time penalties to the victims, people like me wouldn't have to look for alternative tactics and style to reach our goals.

It's true, I long ago adapted to the realities of the game and rather bizarrely, when I see I've been placed at the back, I feel a great sense of relief! The pressure is off. Likely you can just stay cleanly on course and carefully pass the troublemakers once they're off the track or barging each other off the racing line. Sad thing is, by the time you make it to the midfield, the leader is 25 seconds up the field and a top 5 is out of reach. When I'm starting in the top 8, it's definitely "Oh well, let's see if I can avoid being hit..."

The aim of the game is to have fun and the broken penalty system is just sucking all that fun out of the game. I'm starting to think about playing iracing instead.

I really hope they sort this out for GT7.

Agree and I hope so too. Five B races this evening has cost me 2,483 points and I'm nearly back to DR C with 10,777 points. This is all down to shunting and bumping and one driver deliberately pushed me off the track because I'd overtaken him. In each race I'd made several places, only to be pursued and punished for having the cheek to have taken advantage of them spinning off etc and I received the penalties. I thought my qualifying time was respectable, but in every race I was matched with most of the field faster than me, so started 11th-15th in every event. Perhaps I'm punching above my weight for a relative newbie??

The penalty system is a symptom not the cause.

Think about it, you don't even need penalties in good lobbies. It works if everyone respects each other. What we see in Sports Mode is often the opposite.

I don't think this can be easily solved. If you did figure it out, you'd probably make billions selling it to companies on the internet to protect them from trolls and cheats.

Agree and I hope so too. Five B races this evening has cost me 2,483 points and I'm nearly back to DR C with 10,777 points. This is all down to shunting and bumping and one driver deliberately pushed me off the track because I'd overtaken him. In each race I'd made several places, only to be pursued and punished for having the cheek to have taken advantage of them spinning off etc and I received the penalties. I thought my qualifying time was respectable, but in every race I was matched with most of the field faster than me, so started 11th-15th in every event. Perhaps I'm punching above my weight for a relative newbie??

This was pretty much me the other night. Lost nearly 3K DR points in Race B. I was starting mid pack most of the time. We even had an S/S driver in the lobby of B/S but started mid pack in the race. He didn’t drive like S/S. After the esses and going down the straight, we got caught up by some foolishness behind. We got hit but I caught the worse. He went off the racing line just before the left sweeper so he swerved to the right, not paying attention and hit me. I got the penalty, go figure.

In another race he was back but in P5 and I was P6. He loses it and spins it. The old classic of hitting my car before going off, got a penalty smh.

Many incidents could be avoided if people didn't retaliate to every small knock or bump. I've noticed it a lot today at Yamagiwa and sometimes it's the fault of the retaliating driver ahead who either brakes too early, goes too wide or has a much slower corner entry/exit than the car behind. Sometimes that's difficult to anticipate and nobody knows each other's driving style since it's a random lobby.

It happened to me at the downhill chicane. I slightly knocked a car ahead because he entered it much slower than I expect so he responds by sideswiping my car off the track while we're at the side of each other. He got a 7 sec penalty and later quits while serving it. I don't get it.

Nobody is perfect, mistakes happen but most don't seem to realise it and assume the worst or have too much false sense of pride. It's often like racing against hot-headed teens which to be fair, probably isn't too far off the truth.

New Penalty system - It goes like this

I'm afraid that this is typical of the idiotic fraternity playing this game online at the moment. They feel safe battering others because nobody knows who they are, or where they are. Effectively they're Trolls with a steering wheel who should be banned. If they were in the same room as other drivers, they'd have their steering wheel shoved where the sun doesn't shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah, recent changes like saying to keep away from any Sport mode. I mean, a guy hit me slightly behind, just a little, then we turned and I tried to keep outside and he get's wide and hit me again, slightly too, but I tried to minimize it by going off track. 9 seconds in total I have received for totally doing nothing wrong. What type of racecraft it is?

Oh are we talking DR B penalty purgatory?

I have had a handful of races since the update. I am have NO fun what so ever. The whole time I stare at the middle of the screen praying that I don't get some penalty out of nowhere.

I did 2 of those races yesterday. I somehow got dropped to SR A, but I still have an active clean race streak on the go. Like you, I got 1 (5 sec) penalty for hitting a spinning car and then I got another (2 sec) penalty for being grazed on my rear when someone spun behind me.

With the way this horrible implementation is going, they should just institute car failure. Keep the same terrible system in place, but rather than show the penalty time, just have the car break. You know, engine failure, steering failure, all that...make it REALLLY frustrating. Why stop at only slightly annoying? Go for the gusto!!

I have had a handful of races since the update. I am have NO fun what so ever. The whole time I stare at the middle of the screen praying that I don't get some penalty out of nowhere.

ahahah same here , everytime there is some twitchy contacts i stare at the middle screen :dopey: for 5-10sec hoping that no flashing red penalty will pop up

I got robbed of a sure victory again today at race A. I had plenty speed over first, he went wide in lap 4 before the chicane, I stayed on the racing line to pass him. He comes veering back onto the track, taps my rear side then the wall in the chicane and I get a 2 second penalty. 0.5 sec for avoiding a car is already crippling on that combo. In another attempt I get hit by a diver before the chicane, he sends me into a slide, I lose 5 places, no penalty for the dive bomb.

Back to Dreams, perhaps I can make a working penalty system in that :lol:

I did 2 of those races yesterday. I somehow got dropped to SR A, but I still have an active clean race streak on the go. Like you, I got 1 (5 sec) penalty for hitting a spinning car and then I got another (2 sec) penalty for being grazed on my rear when someone spun behind me.

With the way this horrible implementation is going, they should just institute car failure. Keep the same terrible system in place, but rather than show the penalty time, just have the car break. You know, engine failure, steering failure, all that...make it REALLLY frustrating. Why stop at only slightly annoying? Go for the gusto!!

Haha it's actually quite fun finishing while missing a wheel, hood, head lights, door, broken suspension etc in Dirty Rally 2. The fun kind of dirty driving!

I figured out where PD got the lack of a penalty system from!
Watching the real world Nascar truck race at Daytona last and on the last lap the 2nd place had a run and pulled out to the right to pass the leader for the win. The leader intentionally turned into the overtaking car and banged into him twice at 180 mph on the straight to break his momentum and the leader held on for the win which without intentionally hitting the over taker he would have never won.
Nascar let it go and the announcers said that it was just racing. So the secret sauce about the penalty system PD is using is now out in the open!

Watching the real world Nascar truck race at Daytona last and on the last lap the 2nd place had a run and pulled out to the right to pass the leader for the win. The leader intentionally turned into the overtaking car and banged into him twice at 180 mph on the straight to break his momentum and the leader held on for the win which without intentionally hitting the over taker he would have never won.
Nascar let it go and the announcers said that it was just racing. So the secret sauce about the penalty system PD is using is now out in the open!

At the next Olympics runners should start tripping each other right before the finish line. It's just racing! :lol:

I’ve stayed away from Sport Mode for over a year because of how awful the penalty system was.

I was just in a lobby and how, HOW is it worse now than it was over a year ago?! I got rear ended 3 times, each time I I got the penalty. It’s a nonsense.

**** ever trying Sport mode or any lobbies with penalties again, garbage ****ing system.

Oh are we talking DR B penalty purgatory?

giphy.gif

Holy ****. You were an innocent bystander & got the harshest penalty. Yeah that makes sense. Said no one....ever.

he should just have pit maneuvered him into the wall , what its just racing right?

Observation of penalty system errors:
-I have been receiving many penalties either out from no known cause or as the victim of another drivers mistake.
-I have a Dr in high A's, Sr S so usual my races are the street war I've seen in any lower ratings.
-I've noticed the unnecessary "surprise" penalties occur with cars 2 wide in a corner. As the outside car, many times I've received a 1-2 sec penalty when our cars lightly touch, not harming anyone's race.
-On the same note, as the outer car I've receive multiple penalties when the inside car side swipes me either from under-braking into corner or over accelerating out. This has happened even when I'm the lead car, and slide off the track looking the position...
-Also I've been intentionally bumped of the track in the same situation with no penalty given to me or the other driver.
-It also seems to me the penalty system for srS drivers is now too soft. I've seen a rise in S drivers intentionally punting others because the penalty for a punt are usual only 2-4 sec if any at all. Back when 10 penalties were given out, drivers (in srS lobbies) there was less punting, and drivers were more cautious of other cars when overtaking. Lower sr drivers are going to have more mistakes where both drivers are somewhat at fault due to inexperience. But I feel Sr S can be held to a higher standard.
-If any polyphony employees are reading this, please fix these things Thanks!

Today I got what is, so far, my favourite penalty. Race A (carnage) in 3rd position, right corner in 3rd, guy way back doesn't break at all. Ultra dive-bomb. Just before hitting me he gets ghosted, runs wide, hits the barriers, the works.... And I get 2 secs penalty for "forcing car out of track"!!

You have to love the penalty system :-S

Today I got what is, so far, my favourite penalty. Race A (carnage) in 3rd position, right corner in 3rd, guy way back doesn't break at all. Ultra dive-bomb. Just before hitting me he gets ghosted, runs wide, hits the barriers, the works.... And I get 2 secs penalty for "forcing car out of track"!!

You have to love the penalty system :-S

You got a penalty for hitting a ghost? If they can't see that the penalty system is broken, then this is the perfect example. :irked:

You got a penalty for hitting a ghost? If they can't see that the penalty system is broken, then this is the perfect example. :irked:

Well, technically he went through me... So I didn't hit him, pushed him, punted him.... Nothing. He was a ghost because of dive-bombing... I didn't play any role whatsoever beyond being a target that he missed due to ghosting :dunce:

Back