PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

I went for the gap.
I'm still not sure if the guy close the door on me on purpose or did he just not saw me. Anyway the end result is me getting a penality because he felt it was unfair.

That's just a typical day racing, I even remember that particular person even though I have barely ran Sport Mode for the last year because his PSN is almost identical to my last name.

Absolutely this, it makes racing cleanly extremely tricky to the point this week you're literally penalised for not using the Trophy. It's like a multi-class endurance race where the LMP guys moan at GT and vice versa.

I've had penalties tonight for being 'divebombed' when in reality the Mégane is probably on a normal braking point as am I, why I get the penalty is beyond me of course but I can at least understand why contact is happening especially into the first hairpin.

And then this happens and I get a 7 second penalty...

I'm in the NSX, thought I'd pulled off an absolute hero save from the PIT attempt and get smacked with a 7 second penalty...

Great save!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
After careful consideration, I'm out of this fiasco and will not be renewing my online subscription when it ends this week. Nine races (B) have cost me 2,666 points over the weekend and I'm back to 5,981 points in mid DR/C from low B at just over 13,300 points. You overtake drivers cleanly, only to be pursued and rammed off the track, with the result being that you finish in the bottom two, or three and your DR is screwed. Yes, I've made mistakes and overcooked corners, so hands up to this, but blatant ramming is the primary cause and I just cannot be bothered to participate anymore. It's such a shame that people cannot accept being out-driven and have to retaliate out of sheer frustration. Let them get on with it I say and I'll just continue playing the game as I did before Christmas. I'll keep an eye on this forum to see if things improve, but in the meantime I'll drive my two real Jaguars and show Corsa and Astra boy just who's fastest.

After careful consideration, I'm out of this fiasco and will not be renewing my online subscription when it ends this week. Nine races (B) have cost me 2,666 points over the weekend and I'm back to 5,981 points in mid DR/C from low B at just over 13,300 points. You overtake drivers cleanly, only to be pursued and rammed off the track, with the result being that you finish in the bottom two, or three and your DR is screwed. Yes, I've made mistakes and overcooked corners, so hands up to this, but blatant ramming is the primary cause and I just cannot be bothered to participate anymore. It's such a shame that people cannot accept being out-driven and have to retaliate out of sheer frustration. Let them get on with it I say and I'll just continue playing the game as I did before Christmas. I'll keep an eye on this forum to see if things improve, but in the meantime I'll drive my two real Jaguars and show Corsa and Astra boy just who's fastest.
Sorry to see you go. I can readily understand why, but will still miss you

A few days ago I tried race A after taking a few weeks to cool off. The penalty system wasn't working at all. No slowing down whatsoever in the penalty zone on cars (including me) that got a penalty. Dirty drivers everywhere. It's no longer a fun game to play, and unless PD fixes the penalty system I won't be buying any future GT games.

A few days ago I tried race A after taking a few weeks to cool off. The penalty system wasn't working at all. No slowing down whatsoever in the penalty zone on cars (including me) that got a penalty. Dirty drivers everywhere. It's no longer a fun game to play, and unless PD fixes the penalty system I won't be buying any future GT games.

These will ultimately be the most effective “votes” towards change. As my parents used to teach me, the most important vote is the one that comes from your wallet. Stop rewarding PD and Sony for allowing this garbage, and they’ll make changes. The fact that this almost backwards system of penalties has gone on for so long without correction makes me wonder if all PD’s staff is deeply focused on the next title. It’s kinda PD’s style to abandon support on the current generation game when their focus shifts to the next release. We’re seeing that in the smaller/fewer DLC releases, but hopefully that doesn’t mean they’re done evaluating the current effectiveness of the penalty system. I’d hate to think we’re stuck with the current state of things until the next version of GT is released. :nervous:

No slowing down whatsoever in the penalty zone on cars (including me) that got a penalty.

That's down to the car and positioning of the penalty zone which is often in a place that makes no sense. The Mazda has slow acceleration and overall speed so cars forced to slow down will see little difference in loss of time. It's that dumb.

We’re seeing that in the smaller/fewer DLC releases, but hopefully that doesn’t mean they’re done evaluating the current effectiveness of the penalty system.

A good indication will be when the next update drops on the 27th. If there are no changes, I'm going to guess PD are either satisfied with the existing system or there's less focus on fixing it. I hope either scenario isn't the case and that Kaz's quote isn't applying to the penalty system as well. At least until it's fixed to a satisfying and agreeable standard by the community.

...I’d hate to think we’re stuck with the current state of things until the next version of GT is released. :nervous:
I'd hope not. E-sports will clearly feature in the next game, so they will need to keep refining the penalty system until they find something that works otherwise that game will suffer the same.
Unless PD are so removed that they actually think they are doing a good job on penalties...?

4 weeks that ive not raced online now due to uninspiring combos and (continued reports of) dirty drivers going unpunished

Dumbest 🤬 penalty I've ever had. Does PD really expect us to slam on the brakes when a ghosted car re-spawns on the track??? :confused:

Odd, number 9 gets it as well when he's already passed the spawning ghost, or maybe he got it from touching the Brazilian ghost right ahead of him. However you both get a penalty at the same time, 9 is further ahead and gets to serve it that lap while you have to wait a lap.

GTS can still surprise me with its stupidity :lol: Have you had a car literally spawn on top of you yet, solid, crash you off the track (no effect to spawner) and get a penalty for colliding with a car. I've had about a handful of those, never fixed. Big Willow is one of the tracks where it's prone to happen in the final turn.

Have you had a car literally spawn on top of you yet, solid, crash you off the track (no effect to spawner) and get a penalty for colliding with a car. I've had about a handful of those, never fixed. Big Willow is one of the tracks where it's prone to happen in the final turn.

Once, on the straight at Spa and it surprised me with its intensity. Car had crashed at Eau Rouge, then exactly as I passed through the respawned ghost, or so I thought, a very loud crash noise like an explosion (far louder than any other sound effect in the game) and then I was violently sent hurtling into the wall. A complete race ruiner. I also got a harsh penalty, naturally, even though avoidance was impossible without losing control or having Bottas' start line reaction speed.

Man this thread is tedious. PD aint doing ****.

I'm still waiting for OP to come back to smugly tell us all how "he told us all". ****ing genius.

"I certainly won't be playing this again as the guys I'm with now don't seem to care about the rank and just bump you out the way to win instead of racing!"

He remained true to his words and the rest is still just as valid :banghead: 122 pages, 21 months of penalty fun.

These will ultimately be the most effective “votes” towards change. As my parents used to teach me, the most important vote is the one that comes from your wallet. Stop rewarding PD and Sony for allowing this garbage, and they’ll make changes. The fact that this almost backwards system of penalties has gone on for so long without correction makes me wonder if all PD’s staff is deeply focused on the next title. It’s kinda PD’s style to abandon support on the current generation game when their focus shifts to the next release. We’re seeing that in the smaller/fewer DLC releases, but hopefully that doesn’t mean they’re done evaluating the current effectiveness of the penalty system. I’d hate to think we’re stuck with the current state of things until the next version of GT is released. :nervous:

I have not hardly entered any Sport Mode races for a year and it will most definately affect my future purchases. Not only will I not buy the next GT title after being loyal since the release of the original GT but I also will not be spending my hard earned dollars on a new PS5 if PD refuses to fix the penalty system , GT is the only reason I buy the latest consoles, I hope they fix the penalty system soon before I lose interest entirely. If PD cant come up with a working penalty system it's time to go back to a shared blame system, that way the perp doesnt get off scott-free.

Last edited:
Odd, number 9 gets it as well when he's already passed the spawning ghost, or maybe he got it from touching the Brazilian ghost right ahead of him. However you both get a penalty at the same time, 9 is further ahead and gets to serve it that lap while you have to wait a lap.

GTS can still surprise me with its stupidity :lol: Have you had a car literally spawn on top of you yet, solid, crash you off the track (no effect to spawner) and get a penalty for colliding with a car. I've had about a handful of those, never fixed. Big Willow is one of the tracks where it's prone to happen in the final turn.
I had that happen in a Super Formula race at Autopolis, right after the fast sweeping downhill right. Nothing there, no one behind me as I spun off to last earlier, then a yellow flag and suddenly I get launched across the grass into the barrier flat out. And a 5 sec for collision with barrier.
Still haven't gotten the yellow flag one yet though.

I have not hardly entered any Sport Mode races for a year and it will most definately affect my future purchases. Not only will I not buy the next GT title after being loyal since the release of the original GT but I also will not be spending my hard earned dollars on a new PS5, GT is the only reason I but the latest consoles, I hope they fix the penalty system soon before I lose interest entirely.
Such a disappointment to see this from previously devoted fans. Mostly because of GT’s potential. We’ve already seen better penalty systems prior to the current implementation. None will be perfect, and everyone is willing to accept that an algorithm would be too complex to assign blame in every type of contact scenario. But this current system that faults the leading car for being crashed into, or faults an outside car being sideswiped in a corner, just doesn’t make sense to me. I honestly wonder if a coding error is literally reversing the assaulter with the assaulted by mistake.

Or is PD so concerned with the one incident that happened at New York’s Nations Cup Final, where Fraga throttle-lifted at Spa’s Raidillon to prevent a draft overtake, that they’ve designed the entire penalty system to assume leading drivers are consistently blocking and brake-checking. (A theory I completely disagree with). That was a high stakes battle between GTSPORT’s most elite racers; racing in a strategic way that had the benefit of stewards to evaluate the fairness and overrule any programming decisions. A race that was entirely different than what I believe to be the vast majority of casual Sport mode races. Races where competitors show all their cards, hold nothing back, and see where they shake out in a clean and fair race. I for one would appreciate being penalized for something like pushing too hard, trying to force an inside pass and carrying a little too much speed, thereby making contact and forcing the outside car off line. That’s fair, and a teaching moment. There’s nothing to be learned from rewarding aggressive passing maneuvers that result in contact. And the frustration felt by the bulk of racers that are trying to run a clean race “SIMULATION” has the potential to kill GT’s brand. You know: THE REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR.”

Well, the current penalty system isn’t realistic in any sense compared to the Wold Endurance Championship’s 6 hours at the Circuit of the Americas this past weekend. And frankly, I want a simulator that emulates real racing, not a game that uses cheap shots to score wins. For some reason I’m really passionate about PD getting this next release right. I thought I’d given up on GTSPORT when PCars 1&2, Assetto, Dirt Rally’s, and F1 games came into my possession. But somehow I keep hoping for GT to come back out on top again.

Last week...

(For the first one, someone was stuck in the pit entry road for a lap; it was ghosted and wasn't that visible on video.)

I'm amazed anything is. The PS4 automatically records everything, allow you to trim the videos, and can upload direct to social media from the PS4... and people still insist on filming their screen with their phones wobbling around.
I did tape the incident on my PS4 too, I can upload them if requested.

I had two days left on my subscription, so thought I'd have a go at this weeks race B at Willow, to hopefully prompt a change of mind because I actually enjoy playing the game. In the Beetle, I set a fairly respectable qualifying time and in the six races I attempted was positioned 2nd to 4th on the starting grid each time. Looking at the times set by opponents, I was hoping I could escape to safety during the first lap and secure some good positions. In each event, all went to plan until the sharp hairpin heading up the hill when the idiots came up inside and used me as their breaking system. Another driver just smashed me out of the way on the final bend before the final straight. To cut a long and frustrating story short, I ended up in the gravel in at least four of the races and my DS controller ended up on the floor in total annoyance. Having been knocked back to last place, I actually quit the race on two occasions, something I've never done before. Correct decision made - I'm out!!

For the first time ever I got a penalty for ignoring yellow flag rule... That seems fair enough to me.
It was 3seconds though.

But right after this I got sent tl oblivion on Willow Springs, by a guy who rammed me at full speed into the desert and into the wall... Which got me another 5 seconds:ill:

I'm amazed anything is. The PS4 automatically records everything, allow you to trim the videos, and can upload direct to social media from the PS4... and people still insist on filming their screen with their phones wobbling around.

While holding the phone vertical, that drives me crazy! I don't have a 9:19 aspect ratio screen!

I actually had a case today where the penalty system worked!!! The car in front of me kept mirroring my moves trying to block me. One time he did it so late I could not avoid a small tap in T1 at Big Willow. Nothing happened, he was so slow diving back to the inside he didn't even leave the inside from the tap, but he did get a 2 sec penalty.

It was just the one occasion, getting rammed off is the norm when starting last... Especially by those that cannot be mentioned ;) It's a mess and getting the occasional BS penalty is actually a blessing. One race my SR had dropped just below 90, the next I got put into a room with half DR.B half DR.D. DR.D gets ghosted when they get out of control or attempt bad stuff. At least 4 times I got spared by the ghosting system kicking in before I got rammed off by either the other car losing control or trying to swipe me off the track.

The penalty system isn't the biggest problem anymore, SR.S being pretty much meaningless is a far bigger problem. I did a bunch or races this morning and felt like reporting up to 10 people per race :lol: Rip slow in fast out, bump in push out is the new doctrine.

Okay Sven, you claim to understand the penalty system. Explain the 3rd and 4th incident, please:

On number 3 I got a "Forced Another Car Off-Track" message to go with the timer pop-up.

Joke!! I hope the next update does something to address such injustice.

Okay Sven, you claim to understand the penalty system. Explain the 3rd and 4th incident, please:

On number 3 I got a "Forced Another Car Off-Track" message to go with the timer pop-up.

Those are easy:
0:36, you gain a speed advantage (outside car drives faster around a corner)
Same at 0:50, you gain speed from the bump, he reduces speed to make the corner.

It's a joke, but you get a penalty for any perceived advantage from contact. Tap a car and slow down to give the car ahead a penalty.

Back