PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Speak of the devil, I got one of those rare 3 sec yellow flag penalties. I saved the replay to figure out why.

All the way in front, nr 4 spins out and triggers the yellow flag.
Nr 15 spins out in the same spot a little later.
16,17 and 18 pass the wreck of nr 15, while the yellow flag from nr 4 is still showing.

Brilliant!

Next I thought this looked mighty suspicious in my rear view mirror.

Truly gaming the system, side tap, go off, other car gets 3 sec. The steering input says it all.

And there's the simple stuff like forcing a car off road
YR5pfgb.gif

Working better all the time! :banghead:

YR5pfgb.gif

I got the same in Race B today, except the car I 'hit' had already gone 90 degrees across the track, hit the barrier, bounced back into me, hit the barrier again, and I get a 3 second penalty for forcing a car off track!

Speak of the devil, I got one of those rare 3 sec yellow flag penalties. I saved the replay to figure out why.

All the way in front, nr 4 spins out and triggers the yellow flag.
Nr 15 spins out in the same spot a little later.
16,17 and 18 pass the wreck of nr 15, while the yellow flag from nr 4 is still showing.

Brilliant!

Next I thought this looked mighty suspicious in my rear view mirror.

Truly gaming the system, side tap, go off, other car gets 3 sec. The steering input says it all.

YR5pfgb.gif

How can you still play the game, Sven? You must really love racing, man. I love it too but I can't force myself to play Sport mode anymore because of the state of things. They really need to at least try to do something about it. Show us they care about all players, not just the top 20. As for the yellow flag. I don't remember ever getting a penalty for overtaking while it was on. And I must have overtaken loads of cars under a yellow flag.

How can you still play the game, Sven? You must really love racing, man. I love it too but I can't force myself to play Sport mode anymore because of the state of things. They really need to at least try to do something about it. Show us they care about all players, not just the top 20. As for the yellow flag. I don't remember ever getting a penalty for overtaking while it was on. And I must have overtaken loads of cars under a yellow flag.

There are many good races as well and most drivers are clean and careful. It's just that I race a lot and always start in the back without qualifying so I'm guaranteed to run into the bad, clumsy and over motivated. I enjoy the challenge to get the clean race bonus in all different cars while overcoming the penalty system. It can be frustrating as the system is made for aggressive driving.

For example, I didn't expect trouble from a car over 0.5 sec back in T1.
I underestimated the dive bomb mentality yet again and the game gives me SR Down...

Then when the penalty system does work, the penalties are too low.

No wonder aggressive driving prevails as it gets rewarded nearly every time.

It is not that bad mate. Its not like every race is ruined and if it is the case then you are at fault as well.

There are many good races as well and most drivers are clean and careful. It's just that I race a lot and always start in the back without qualifying so I'm guaranteed to run into the bad, clumsy and over motivated. I enjoy the challenge to get the clean race bonus in all different cars while overcoming the penalty system. It can be frustrating as the system is made for aggressive driving.

For example, I didn't expect trouble from a car over 0.5 sec back in T1.
I underestimated the dive bomb mentality yet again and the game gives me SR Down...

Then when the penalty system does work, the penalties are too low.

No wonder aggressive driving prevails as it gets rewarded nearly every time.

I try to qualify in one of the top 5 spots to stay out of the NASCAR zone.

I try to qualify in one of the top 5 spots to stay out of the NASCAR zone.

Sadly that doesn't work for my goal to get as many clean race bonusses as possible. Starting top 5 almost guarantees a (draft) bump from behind sooner or later which is SR Down for the car in front, which is bye bye CRB. As long as PD doesn't fix that I have no desire to start up front. Plus the worst are A+ door to door drivers that have no issue pushing you out to gain an advantage. They are smart enough to give you SR Down instead of pushing too hard and ending up with a penalty. B/S has the most respectful drivers over all, some very fast as well with whom you can have multi lap battles, swapping positions without any contact. They just don't have the aggression needed to get to A/S or higher.

Getting punted from behind and get a 3sec penalty?! I just don’t get it or someone tries to overtake when they really shouldn’t and run out of room after banging doors and again I get the penalty! It’s BS. What are you meant to do when someone rams you from behind? It’s a joke and getting sick of these stupid penalties.
Like above a car goes off track spinning rejoins and you try to avoid it but tap it an they go off again and you get the penalty.
They need to fix the penalty system!

It is that bad, and it's not, respectively!
Yep! B race this week and leading on last lap first corner I can’t count how many times someone has kamikaze into the rear from some distance. You see them coming but can’t do anything as you have already started turning! They don’t even get a penalty and you are in the dirt and race over! The rage is real!

Yep! B race this week and leading on last lap first corner I can’t count how many times someone has kamikaze into the rear from some distance. You see them coming but can’t do anything as you have already started turning! They don’t even get a penalty and you are in the dirt and race over! The rage is real!

The whole reason I don't qualify!!

I'd rather start at the back, and pass as many as I can, and finish where I do, than start around 5th to 7th and be booted at the 1st or 2nd corner and end up where I would be starting at the back.

Unless you qualify in the top 3, it's just not worth it. To many muppets out there!!

I qualified pole position yesterday on Suzuka and had a 2-4 second lead in the last 4 laps. Finished 1st with the clean race bonus. With some exceptions of bad drivers it's better for me to be in the front 5 positions at the start. I'm DRC/SRB now, but was SRC last week (SRA a month ago) from poor sports pushing me off the track.
Edit: Back to SRA

Last edited:

looks like you can send people smash the pit entrance without any consequences

You need to save the live replay (hold down or press share button after the race to save the video) to see if lag had any effect on the faulty penalty. It definitely is faulty. You can check his steering input in the replay to see if it's deliberate. His profile does look like a fast player working the system. Those constant little drops in SR look like he's using the max SR limit as an excuse to bump cars.

Deliberate or not, he didn't leave a car width for you next to the pit wall, nor was he ahead at corner exit, under all rules he's at fault and has to pay up for your funeral...

looks like you can send people smash the pit entrance without any consequences

You know what his name means ? With the help of Google translate :D :
"is an expression from the German-speaking world in the 1950s, colloquially pejorative, especially in the media, for aggressive adolescents - mostly male and coming from the working class. The term points at (among others) Hooliganism and riots, but also a certain appearance influenced by rock 'n' roll. At times, it also referred to (male) young people in general."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had about 2-3 month break from game, is it still unplayable at online due ridiculous and unfair penalties?
Yes. There have been no changes to the penalty system. Actually, it seems to me that more people are abusing it now so it's even more unplayable.

Last edited:
I think it is very playable even with a broken penalty system. It would be better with a functional system but this is still good enough to be addictive

I've had about 2-3 month break from game, is it still unplayable at online due ridiculous and unfair penalties?
The same thing happened to me. But it's not just the punishments. It is also the wrong way of playing which is promoted by it. For many it is only a question of playing the system. This ramming and then leave the street to give the other a time penalty. These constant small ramms ensure that you miss the apex and have to drive the curve outside so that the backman can slip inside. The sudden changes of direction when braking. ... All this and much more that is forbidden or spoiled in racing becomes more and more standard in GTS.

Had a classic penalty yesterday. Last lap down the main straight on Sadenga a guy starts ramming into the side of me instead of a drag to the finish... I beat him get a 3 sec penalty. Go from 3rd to 6th cause of this idiot! I kept trying to drive away and move to the right but he just kept on ramming into me. What can you do but shake your head.

Had a classic penalty yesterday. Last lap down the main straight on Sadenga a guy starts ramming into the side of me instead of a drag to the finish... I beat him get a 3 sec penalty. Go from 3rd to 6th cause of this idiot! I kept trying to drive away and move to the right but he just kept on ramming into me. What can you do but shake your head.
I had very similar in my last race. Got a much better line out the last corner on the last lap, was overtaking 2nd place on the left side but he didn’t like it and repeatedly rammed me as I was going past and ended up punting me into the pit entrance wall! NO penalty for him and 7th place finish for me. 🤬

It’s been a few months now since I last tried sport mode and reading this it doesn’t sound like I will be back any time soon.
I still think that a zero tolerance approach is the only fair way to go with penalties. It is patently obvious that they cannot correctly apportion blame, so just penalise both players whenever there is contact. Take away any possible incentive for a player to hit another on track and the number of incidents will fall.
The example above is a perfect example of why this could work.
Yes, the player who was rammed would get a penalty, but the player who did the ramming would also be penalised, preferably with a finishing position penalty rather than a time penalty, and so it would be pointless him doing it.
Yes the “victim” in the case above would still get a penalty, but he was penalised with the current system and a zero tolerance approach massively lowers the risk of the ramming happening in the first place.
It is the only way I can think of that the “offender” would know he could not possibly gain but would be certain to lose out.
With that knowledge at the start of a race I suspect the racing would clean up rapidly.
I know there will be many who think but what if I accidentally do X or Y, it’s unfair for me to be penalised.
The short answer to that is simply be more careful.
There are no accidents. There is a cause for every effect.

It’s been a few months now since I last tried sport mode and reading this it doesn’t sound like I will be back any time soon.
I still think that a zero tolerance approach is the only fair way to go with penalties. It is patently obvious that they cannot correctly apportion blame, so just penalise both players whenever there is contact. Take away any possible incentive for a player to hit another on track and the number of incidents will fall.
The example above is a perfect example of why this could work.
Yes, the player who was rammed would get a penalty, but the player who did the ramming would also be penalised, preferably with a finishing position penalty rather than a time penalty, and so it would be pointless him doing it.
Yes the “victim” in the case above would still get a penalty, but he was penalised with the current system and a zero tolerance approach massively lowers the risk of the ramming happening in the first place.
It is the only way I can think of that the “offender” would know he could not possibly gain but would be certain to lose out.
With that knowledge at the start of a race I suspect the racing would clean up rapidly.
I know there will be many who think but what if I accidentally do X or Y, it’s unfair for me to be penalised.
The short answer to that is simply be more careful.
There are no accidents. There is a cause for every effect.

i have been saying this for a while on my streams, like you say give both the penalty! the victim is always going to get the penalty anyway but this way the aggressor does too so they may stop doing it.

... The short answer to that is simply be more careful. ...

LOL apologies in advance, but traffic jam on the German Autobahn comes to my mind :odd: ...
I usually leave three or four car lenghts of space ahead as it makes things way more relaxed and safe, keeps me rolling on slowly, giving opportunity to react for an emergency corridor 👍 etc. etc.
Be sure it doesn't take half a minute 'til that guy on the left lane slips in just to gain a couple of meters and 6/10 of a second :banghead: [ me in my car : WTF ]

As for the pen sys, I'm still with you :cheers: !

Last edited:
LOL apologies in advance, but traffic jam on the German Autobahn comes to my mind :odd: ...
I usually leave three or four car lenghts of space ahead as it makes things way more relaxed and safe, keeps me rolling on slowly, giving opportunity to react for an emergency corridor 👍 etc. etc.
Be sure it doesn't take half a minute 'til that guy on the left lane slips in just to gain a couple of meters and 6/10 of a second :banghead: [ me in my car : WTF ]

As for the pen sys, I'm still with you :cheers: !
The approach with zero tolerance certainly has its advantages and will in many cases ensure that the actual cause finally gets a penalty. But you are right too. Some will certainly be even more aggressive because they expect the others to give in. One of the problems of GTS are the heights of punishment. A 5s penalty brings nothing if the victim loses 10 seconds because of the accident. I often experience that in the last two rounds of a race. If the distance to the drivers behind us is big enough then I often get rammed off the road by the driver direct behind me. Even if he gets 5 seconds for this he is past me and still loses no place to the driver behind it. For him, ramming was 100% worth it.
In my opinion zero tolerance would be a good transitional solution. In the long term, however, the algorithms need to be improved. Otherwise, there will always be opportunities for underhanded players to outsmart the system.

I'm cautiously optimistic PD has fixed the "bump from behind then the wall" penalty. I haven't seen it happen in the 6 races I did today on Tokyo. You do still get SR Down from getting tapped, even when I got punted into the wall in T1, I got SR Down and the perp nothing. Yet when a diver bumped me into the wall in T2 he did get a penalty. Difference was the diver was DR.A+ the punter DR.B, so perhaps it was a DR thing. Wall penalties also seem to happen less often again yet ghosting is a bit better.

The penalty zone is in a stupid place on Tokyo though. Very dangerous to put it in a braking zone plus that means the higher the penalty the less the damage. Someone with a 5 sec penalty loses 3.5 sec at most while on the Tokyo track that was on a month ago that would cost you more than 10 seconds. So, once you get a penalty, might as well rack up the time as it's a hairpin right after the penalty zone anyway :irked:

I'm cautiously optimistic PD has fixed the "bump from behind then the wall" penalty. I haven't seen it happen in the 6 races I did today on Tokyo. You do still get SR Down from getting tapped

Yeah. Looks like if the cars are at similar speed and the one behind bumps and then taps a wall, there is no penalty anymore. But I can confirm, that if there is a big speed difference then the car in the front does get a penalty. The game probably considers it blocking.

The penalty zone is in a stupid place on Tokyo though. Very dangerous to put it in a braking zone plus that means the higher the penalty the less the damage

Didn't it use to be at the beginning of the start/finish straight? When did they change it? Penalties definitely hurt way less now. Also seems to me that it's a lot easier now to get a 5s wall contact penalty. Maybe that's why they've changed it. With the original penalty line a 5s penalty was basically race-ending in higher ranked lobbies.

Last edited:
Back