PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

This lack of penalty system has cost me 10,000 DR. I’m a respectful driver and will not dive bomb or punt as a matter of principle. That said I did take revenge on someone this week but his driving was totally uncalled for and had ruined many peoples races.

I’m a mid level B, I’m comfortable around the 20k marker but this has dropped me right down to the B/C danger zone.

FIA I got punted so hard on T1, in two races that both times I had Engine damage and couldn’t get close to the pack. It’s absolutely ruining the racing now.

I’d be happy with the way things were a couple of months back, sure there were some unfair penalties but it was far better than being rammed.

Case in point, just did BH as a last attempt to add another win. Someone in a Huracan braked way too early, I hit him and although there was clearly some netcode he ended up in the gravel.

I clearly hit him off the track, accident or otherwise. I got Clean Race Bonus...

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it very curious what has or is being done with this recent penalty system change. Was it an ill-thought out knee jerk reaction to the barrage of complaints after the more strict implementation they did prior? It seems as if the Sportsmanship Rating has ceased to matter at all, because as others have observed, pretty much everyone is S now. Not only that, but they're 99/99 too. I drive carefully out of respect with the added bonus that it maintains a 99/99 SR day by day. I am also never not trying to reach more than 15 clean races for that particular stat. That is no longer standout - clean driving isn't valued like it was. I am rather naive now for racing cleanly because it has no bonus. It was definitely annoying to be handed unfair penalties but I think it was better that at least the offending parties were being punished and that the system recognised that they were in the wrong. Even if a race was ruined, there's validation that the system was on the victim's side in terms of the offending party not being awarded a clean race. Brands Hatch this week has still been enjoyable but definitely a lesson in frustration. As an example, a player punted me off numerous times at BH so I checked their stats. Their SR before the update was yo-yo: clearly at times a very unscrupulous player. You can see when the update was applied as they're now pretty much constant 99/99 and officially, as clean as the cleanest. The penalty system has given up and accepted that most people race/play dirty - they're still often the quickest drivers though. If that's the case it's an experimental time for Sport mode.

Last edited:
I went back to GTS this week-end after a few weeks without touching it and, bloody hell, what a mess in online races. I would prefer an overly severe penalty system over the lenient mess it is now. I entered into two online races that were easily the worst experiences I had in this game.

First, the Honda S660 race where I was able to go from P6 to P1 within 2 laps. That is, until the dirty "racer" in P2 rammed me off the road in the last corner without being handled a penalty. Fortunately, it was early in the race so I was able to go back up to 5th. I am not a very good driver and it felt so unfair to be robbed like that of a potential 3rd victory.

I tried the Gr.4 race afterwards. Again, pushed out of the way by a Megane. I was further back the grid so it was less infuriating but still... I check the replay to better see the incident. The guy has been driving like a jacked up mongoose for the whole race without being handled a single penalty! Thankfully, karma being on my side, I have been able to overtake him on the last corner for some sweet (and clean) revenge.

I never complained about the penalty system in GTS. Sure it was imperfect but at least it succeded in matching clean drivers together to have some fun and quite fair races. Please PD, fix it quick (even if it means reverting to the old system). The fun is gone.

PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

It sure is now, In GT League I don't even loose the Clean Race bonus when going off track and into the gravel traps :confused: , I try to drive as clean as I can, but sometimes I hit a car from behind, a nudge isn't enough to loose Clean Race bonus, but a hard hit was guaranteed Clean Race bonus loss, but not anymore :(, please PD bring back the Penalty System to what it was before.

People seem to be wearing rose colored glasses here. I am not saying the currently penalty system is acceptable but the one we had just prior to this often penalised the victim instead of the aggressor.

Precisely. Under the previous penalty system, if you got punted off the track you were more likely to get a penalty than the person who punted you.

If PD's going to bring back a penalty system don't bring back the last one. Go back at least 2-3 iterations.

It's kinda funny that with the current state of the penalty system, you still get a 5 second penalty for hitting a wall.

Most penalties are gone, yet some stupid ones still remain. I would really love if they learned how to invalidate times in time trial.

The penalty system is ridiculous, and making the game less enjoyable. I raced this weekend in both Nations and Manufacturers, and try my best to "keep it clean", but then there are the other drivers that seem to think it is a game of bumper cars, and cars are bouncing around all over the place, but no penalties are given, well none that count. I also got knocked from behind, sent off the track from behind and I get the 2 second penalty, not my fault, how is that right?
And why at the end of the race almost every driver excluding the winner gets a 20second penalty added on, though we served penalties during the race.

This needs to be sorted out.

And why at the end of the race almost every driver excluding the winner gets a 20second penalty added on, though we served penalties during the race.
The 20s post-race penalty is applied to cars that did not use all of the mandatory tyre grades. The race at Red Bull Ring required all cars to use all three racing compounds - hard, medium, and soft - at some point during the race.

The 20s post-race penalty is applied to cars that did not use all of the mandatory tyre grades. The race at Red Bull Ring required all cars to use all three racing compounds - hard, medium, and soft - at some point during the race.
Thanks for that feedback, I did not know that one had to do that..Nice to actually get some feedback. Thanks again

Thanks for that feedback, I did not know that one had to do that..Nice to actually get some feedback. Thanks again
That's what GTPlanet is for - we're all game nerds here.

Not all races have mandatory/required tyres, and it's not displayed particularly obviously. It'll mention it in the Race Details screen before you enter if there are any required tyres, but it will also appear in the bottom-right corner of the pre-race lobby screen.

That's what GTPlanet is for - we're all game nerds here.

Not all races have mandatory/required tyres, and it's not displayed particularly obviously. It'll mention it in the Race Details screen before you enter if there are any required tyres, but it will also appear in the bottom-right corner of the pre-race lobby screen.
I must admit, like most males, I don't always read the instructions, so I don't really read the prerace info, maybe should make a habit of doing that going forward.

PD trying to make that penalty system fit ! ?
Can't help it, what comes to mind is this :

dog.gif

Hey guys ... drop the stick ;) !

With a game update on the way tomorrow, do you reckon it'll include a penalty system change? Place your bets ladies and gents...

1) No change
2) Revert back to 1.53 version
3) New version with milder penalties than 1.53
4) New version with harsher penalties than 1.53

With a game update on the way tomorrow, do you reckon it'll include a penalty system change? Place your bets ladies and gents...

1) No change

I would like to think they are learning, so I will hope milder penalties (3)

1) No change

Don't know, but I'm sure PD will remain true to itself and bring up a nice brandnew more worse system as the previous one.

I would like to think they are learning, so I will hope milder penalties (3)

If they are learning, they'll have something that distinguishes between victim and aggressor. The biggest problem with the last update wasn't the size of the penalties, it was that people on the receiving ends of punts and rams were receiving penalties just as hefty as the people running into them.

1) No change

I'd say there's a good chance of the update including changes to the penalty system given the lack of new car/track teasers. I'd like to hope PD built upon and made a number of changes to 1.52 or an entirely new system from the ground up.

While 1.52 had its own share of problems: clipping an out of control car or divebomber speeding in a braking zone with the innocent given the penalty were the biggest, 1.53 had that and more. Light contact 5/7 sec penalties and assigning them to the car which appeared ahead was nonsense.

Last edited:
If they are learning, they'll have something that distinguishes between victim and aggressor. The biggest problem with the last update wasn't the size of the penalties, it was that people on the receiving ends of punts and rams were receiving penalties just as hefty as the people running into them.
I agree there, I was once awarded 6 second penalty driving past some guy returning to the track from the dirt and he drove straight into the side of me, headon, I got the penalty, he got nothing, that is definately not ideal.
I also think certain penalties should be on a grading system, 1st offence light penalty, 2nd heavier and 3rd even heavier, for example when abusing track corners or abusive driving.

Been away grom GT Sport for a while and was wondering if the system changed. All of a sudden I became S-rated, when previously I was struggling to get A.. Personally I don't consider myself an S driver and I do make mistakes where I should have been penalised really, but instead got nothing. Not sure if I am happy with the current system - too lenient.

That being said I do try to be a clean driver, but driving mistakes also happen. That S incentivises me to drive even cleaner lol. Perhaps now if they tight it up a bit, we will see a more fair penalty. The major issue - you want people that kick you out of the track, hard cut in corners (by bumping in you or using you as breaks) to be punished. Maybe pick up some tricks from other games like PC2, whereby they have to go back a position in case of hard overtake.. it is indeed tricky I suppose.

The system now is certainly better! Previously someone would hit me in the back, I would fly off the track and get a 5s penalty for something that is entirely not my fault. Similar situations with being hit on sides etc, it used to be totally random.

I'm back to Grand Theft Auto clean racing again, which is relatively dirty. At least now I can assume that they're always going to dive bomb, run me wide, and not leave me room on my exit line.

First ever race at Race B this week at the Nurb GP, punted off-course by a player who proceeded to get no penalty for his actions. Turns out this very same player who punted me into last place, punted their way from 13th all the way to 5th, stone-free. No red dot next to their gap = no penalty given for their actions. This is just ridiculous at this point. My first race at Race C, Laguna Seca, (apart from my wheel dying on me again) was even worse. Grid Start? Everyone bunched up together near Turn 1? What do you think is gonna happen with this penalty system? I went from last to 9th after exiting Turn 1 just by hanging back and letting the unsportsmanlike players force the innocents off of the course.

I sincerely hope this up-and-coming update changes the penalty system for the better, because I would rather drive in fear of getting a penalty rather than drive in defense trying to avoid incoming rockets that have full intent to send me off-course.

I'm back to Grand Theft Auto clean racing again, which is relatively dirty. At least now I can assume that they're always going to dive bomb, run me wide, and not leave me room on my exit line.

At least in GTA you can pull out and RPG or something...

After getting punted off 4 races in a row on race B at seaside, I had to buy a whole other game (the outer worlds) until PD fixes the penalty system. I love GTS but it’s unplayable online in its current state. BUT a good time to get the GT leagues knocked out ;)

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 dirty drivers 🤬 🤬 🤬 sideswiping other cars off the 🤬 🤬 track. The only way to win is by starting in pole position. I hope PD finds a solution, otherwise I won't be investing in a PS5.
Time for a beer. :cheers:

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 dirty drivers 🤬 🤬 🤬 sideswiping other cars off the 🤬 🤬 track. The only way to win is by starting in pole position. I hope PD finds a solution, otherwise I won't be investing in a PS5.
Time for a beer. :cheers:

starting on pole at nurb GP is a guaranteed 1st corner punt

starting on pole at nurb GP is a guaranteed 1st corner punt

Heck, I even did it once when I was started P2. Part of the problem, I think, is that the rollings start is so stretched out that everyone is enter that turn at wildly different speeds. Not to mention that not everyone has figured out that you need to use different braking points for the starting lap.

Back