PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

True, but if you have less incidents even if it’s not very accurate you stay higher on sr. Everyone who plays has lost sr because of others...
But a full blown reset is hard to do, that’s my point. A full blown reset doesn’t happen out of ones control imo.
It’s hard to get a reset.

@RacingGrandpa
True, but if you leave yourself a race you can no qual, it’s not too bad.
Driving as careful as I could, not one single incident where I hit anyone I lost 49 SR points in one race. I believe the underlying reason is the desperate hunt for DR points to get higher points in FIA is why people drive reckless and over drive their cars.

Driving as careful as I could, not one single incident where I hit anyone I lost 49 SR points in one race. I believe the underlying reason is the desperate hunt for DR points to get higher points in FIA is why people drive reckless and over drive their cars.

Yeah to me doing a daily on FIA days seems much crazier, here.
Plus the pen system punishing a player who gets dived on is the biggest prob in the pen system right now imo.
Plus I seriously wonder if people are trolling.
I know Fuji gr2 I was running no qual to build sr, EVERY RACE LAP 1 (lower than 85 sr)
People began, smashed people off, and disappeared. EVERY RACE. You don’t see that at 99 here.
In fact I’ve NEVER seen it until recently...

Last edited:
Driving as careful as I could, not one single incident where I hit anyone I lost 49 SR points in one race.
It doesn't matter whether you hit anyone or not. It only matters whether there is contact between your car and anything that isn't the racing surface. If you drive off track, or smack off a barrier, or someone hits you, it can impact your SR.

It should only be taken as a rating of how often you aren't contacting other things, not as any measure of ability.

True, but if you have less incidents even if it’s not very accurate you stay higher on sr. Everyone who plays has lost sr because of others...
But a full blown reset is hard to do, that’s my point. A full blown reset doesn’t happen out of ones control imo.
It’s hard to get a reset.

@RacingGrandpa
True, but if you leave yourself a race you can no qual, it’s not too bad.
But that's not racing. That's just pastime

Edit: @Famine yes,but since it's the games principal sorting it is very important for your gaming experience, so making it totally out of your control as it is in the current situation is not a good idea in my opinion.

Last edited:

I understand your point but many incidents involving my SR drops aren't of my own creation. I can't control whether another driver slams me off track or divebombs me in a braking zone. I also shouldn't be expected (despite having done so at times) to pull over and concede my position because I'm afraid I'll be hit and given a penalty (sadly, this is a culture an incompetent penalty system creates) since it doesn't create an incident. That's not racing to me.

Last edited:

Edit: @Famine yes,but since it's the games principal sorting it is very important for your gaming experience, so making it totally out of your control as it is in the current situation is not a good idea in my opinion.
Yet that was the whole point of SR right from the start - and it's covered in the Sportsmanship videos.

It has changed a lot since then, I grant you. There were so many complaints about the original no-fault system, but the basic idea was sound: if you avoid incidents, your SR is higher than someone who is involved in a lot of them.

That's how it should be, but through all the changes it hasn't necessarily always been that way.

Yes. Only way forward to get rid of dirty driving is to make the penalties and the SR down shared IMHO

Yep, how it used to be until a more vocal part of the community complained. Although I feel it's a low chance PD will reverse their decision and bring back shared fault. Next update will be an indication on the direction the system is heading.

The best solution would probably be to have realistic damages(even not visual)... that should discourage people from bumping into each other.
Not saying it would solve everything... but that would be very helpful.

Wasn't it supposed to be a disqualification system for dirty players? Some of them would just bomb at every corner... 10 times a race...but could still be racing. Often finishing well placed.

And the "ghosting" feature should be used more agressively: if someone is hitting you with a huge and anormal speed delta, then he should be ghosted (so he just goes through you and hit the barriers)

Looking back at older versions, one thing they had was licences. Racing iA, iB, etc...

If every player had to get the license to move into the higher splits. And if players got licenses revoked, etc... then things would be cleaner all around.
I like this, but still don't think it will massively help. Been in high A/S lobbies recently and it was dirtier than the SR B lobbies most of the time. No space given by anyone, and if you brake at your marker not theirs or take the 'wrong' line you get to meet Mr. Barrier after visiting the beach.

I honestly think it goes back to no fault. The result would be all the 🤬 that keep pushing people off would get pinged as well, so instead of me getting knocked off 3 times in a race and getting a penalty for each one (including a guy who missed chicane 2 and clipped my back bumper to give me 2 seconds) while the perpetrator gets away free, they get marked as well. Got run off track very deliberately twice in the same race by 1 person in a race and they ended with a blue S while I got neutral because the system assigns blame like a drunken blind man. Ping everyone for contact and I know it will be frustrating, but I am convinced it is the only way to end this manipulation garbage.

Yes. Only way forward to get rid of dirty driving is to make the penalties and the SR down shared IMHO

The best solution would probably be to have realistic damages(even not visual)... that should discourage people from bumping into each other.
Not saying it would solve everything... but that would be very helpful.

Wasn't it supposed to be a disqualification system for dirty players? Some of them would just bomb at every corner... 10 times a race...but could still be racing. Often finishing well placed.

And the "ghosting" feature should be used more agressively: if someone is hitting you with a huge and anormal speed delta, then he should be ghosted (so he just goes through you and hit the barriers)

Looking back at older versions, one thing they had was licences. Racing iA, iB, etc...

If every player had to get the license to move into the higher splits. And if players got licenses revoked, etc... then things would be cleaner all around.

All good thinking, but everything would be OK, if the "System" would just punish punting and dive-bombs correctly. Strangely it does not.

Programmers are notoriously bad at things that are not immediately testable, that is the only excuse. But of course they could assemble a collection of test-cases if they cared.

Yeah, but for online races it should be 10 consecutive absolutely clean races with top 10 finish minimum

Hi guys I’m new to racing, I’m only at D/S as only been going a week and haven’t invested in a wheel yet. Just reading your posts. I was racing yesterday and started 2nd on grid. Racing at the Fuji international. I got off the grid well and was breaking and Turning into the right hander at the end of straight. Basically I was hit side on and pushed off the track. I not only lost my position but was penalised 2 seconds for something that wasn’t my fault. Why? Also one ? How do I find out how I’m doing with points which show how I’m doing with regards DR and SR? Thanks

Hi guys I’m new to racing, I’m only at D/S as only been going a week and haven’t invested in a wheel yet. Just reading your posts. I was racing yesterday and started 2nd on grid. Racing at the Fuji international. I got off the grid well and was breaking and Turning into the right hander at the end of straight. Basically I was hit side on and pushed off the track. I not only lost my position but was penalised 2 seconds for something that wasn’t my fault. Why? Also one ? How do I find out how I’m doing with points which show how I’m doing with regards DR and SR? Thanks
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search type your psn and click search, you can see you points there.

Honestly I'd say, try not to sweat over ratings this early on.

What's more important when you're starting out is to learn the cars and tracks, work on your personal skills and treat every race as a chance to get more experience.

The penalties can be frustrating for sure but they're not something you can change so focusing on them won't make you better. It bears repeating; just try to drive clean at all costs. It's better to wait behind someone for the right opportunity than pull a risky move and potentially hit them. People are vengeful in this game.

Also, welcome to GTPlanet! You've found a great resource for all things racing and the best place to ask any of these kinds of questions :cheers:

It doesn't matter whether you hit anyone or not. It only matters whether there is contact between your car and anything that isn't the racing surface. If you drive off track, or smack off a barrier, or someone hits you, it can impact your SR.

It should only be taken as a rating of how often you aren't contacting other things, not as any measure of ability.

If you refer to my post of 17 March regarding loss of over 9000 DR points and your subsequent response - 'Your DR has been reset to match your SR, as your SR has fallen two levels below it', unless the rules have changed, there is a real risk that many people will find themselves with a much lower DR rating than they have now, under the current system.

In Race B yesterday, I was punted off at corner 1 and incurred orange SR and 2 seconds penalty. I started the day as SR S and am now SR B, so I have to disagree with your response to Racing Grandpa, insofar that it does matter to people who wish to preserve their ratings, but who are at the mercy of childish idiots who cannot play the game fairly. You just cannot penalise the person being hit and this needs to be addressed.

In Race B yesterday, I was punted off at corner 1 and incurred orange SR and 2 seconds penalty. I started the day as SR S and am now SR B, so I have to disagree with your response to Racing Grandpa, insofar that it does matter to people who wish to preserve their ratings, but who are at the mercy of childish idiots who cannot play the game fairly. You just cannot penalise the person being hit and this needs to be addressed.
I don't know what you are disagreeing with, given that you are using an example of your own situation which exactly agrees with what I said...

SR isn't intended as a rating of how often you hit other cars. It's a rating of how often your car touches something that isn't the driving surface. Watch the Sportsmanship videos again, particularly the second one which explains how not taking account of other drivers who "become a missile" can affect your SR.

SR isn't intended as a rating of how often you hit other cars. It's a rating of how often your car touches something that isn't the driving surface. Watch the Sportsmanship videos again, particularly the second one which explains how not taking account of other drivers who "become a missile" can affect your SR.

As frustrating as this is at times, playing the smallest amount of defense (since you can't control other players) greatly increased my enjoyment and my ratings as well. At Fuji yesterday, as an example, I held the wide line going into T1 every lap. Two scenarios existed -- one, they try the dive bomb, and I wait to turn in until they are in the sand pit. Two, they brake an appropriate amount (which puts them at a slower speed to make the corner), and I beat them through it.

It's also about risk management sometimes. If I have a half second or 3/4 second lead entering the braking zone, I understand I should have the right to the racing line. The pragmatic side of me realizes that getting hit into the sand and then getting on the soap box after doesn't change my negative ratings or my poor finishing position. If that guy does make the corner and take the position from me, it's still better than finishing last because I went off.

This doesn't mean things don't bother me, though, haha. My current soap box ('cause I still have one)...when I'm following someone in say, a Huracan or an R8 who can't accelerate out of a corner without going sideways, I do think the little tap that I hit them when that happens isn't deserving of an SR down. At least this week, it's only -3 SR or something at Fuji.

Last edited:
Honestly I'd say, try not to sweat over ratings this early on.

What's more important when you're starting out is to learn the cars and tracks, work on your personal skills and treat every race as a chance to get more experience.

The penalties can be frustrating for sure but they're not something you can change so focusing on them won't make you better. It bears repeating; just try to drive clean at all costs. It's better to wait behind someone for the right opportunity than pull a risky move and potentially hit them. People are vengeful in this game.

Also, welcome to GTPlanet! You've found a great resource for all things racing and the best place to ask any of these kinds of questions :cheers:
Thanks for the reply.

I’d say and I know everyone will disagree, you will be less likely to get pens if you are on the racing line braking on time and throttling out.

I don't know what you are disagreeing with, given that you are using an example of your own situation which exactly agrees with what I said...

I am disagreeing with the response "It doesn't matter whether you hit anyone or not" because if reduced SR means you are ultimately demoted in the DR grades, then dive-bombers and punters will ruin all your hard work in progressing up the ranks. This is what happened to me. The point I am making is that the hitter should be penalised and, at the moment, it seems to be the other way round.

Racing Grandpa said "Driving as careful as I could, not one single incident where I hit anyone I lost 49 SR points in one race". If he continues on a downward SR spiral, the he'll be back to DR C or D and this just isn't fair. So it does matter, if you're not the hitter, but suffer at the hands of dirty drivers.

Hope this clarifies

I am disagreeing with the response "It doesn't matter whether you hit anyone or not" because if reduced SR means you are ultimately demoted in the DR grades, then dive-bombers and punters will ruin all your hard work in progressing up the ranks. This is what happened to me. The point I am making is that the hitter should be penalised and, at the moment, it seems to be the other way round.

Racing Grandpa said "Driving as careful as I could, not one single incident where I hit anyone I lost 49 SR points in one race". If he continues on a downward SR spiral, the he'll be back to DR C or D and this just isn't fair. So it does matter, if you're not the hitter, but suffer at the hands of dirty drivers.

Hope this clarifies
No, you're misunderstanding the premise. SR falls whether you hit someone or they hit you. It doesn't matter to your SR rating whether you were at fault or not - it does not care - because it is not a measure of fault. It is a measure of how often your car is in contact with something other than the driving surface, and has been since the game came out.

As I explained, the Sportsmanship videos - especially the second one - tell you this. It cautions you to watch out for drivers who "become a missile" for this reason.

SR is also not the penalty system, though actions that can result in a penalty might also result in your SR falling (and actions that don't might still result in your SR falling).

As someone who never has and never will touch GT Sport, I'm always amused when this thread title shows up in the recent topics list. It's the most reliable way I've ever seen to know when a new patch comes out.

No, you're misunderstanding the premise. SR falls whether you hit someone or they hit you. It doesn't matter to your SR rating whether you were at fault or not - it does not care - because it is not a measure of fault. It is a measure of how often your car is in contact with something other than the driving surface, and has been since the game came out.

As I explained, the Sportsmanship videos - especially the second one - tell you this. It cautions you to watch out for drivers who "become a missile" for this reason.

SR is also not the penalty system, though actions that can result in a penalty might also result in your SR falling (and actions that don't might still result in your SR falling).

The thing is, that was OK back when the -SR was reasonable amounts, you'd really have to be quite bad to get a DR reset and it might well take multiple races. It was somewhat the statistical measure you refer to. Now the -SR amounts are stupidly high and more akin to punishment than measuring. So it's sort of the same as it ever was just with different numbers, but actually very different in effect.

I'm not sure whether the -SR is even between players involved in an incident any more. The time penalties might be switched off, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't still apportioning blame.

Last edited:
The thing is, that was OK back when the -SR was reasonable amounts, you'd really have to be quite bad to get a DR reset and it might well take multiple races. It was somewhat the statistical measure you refer to. Now the -SR amounts are stupidly high and more akin to punishment than measuring. So it's sort of the same as it ever was just with different numbers, but actually very different in effect.

Some of us really like that 99 sr currently has a little bit of meaning because after one race dangerously unpredictable players are no longer matched into our lobbies.
If sr down doesn’t affect matching it’s a clown show at ALL levels.

Back