PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

i'm getting really tired being the only one with a red SR at each race A , there's contact absolutely everywhere people shoving others off track but somehow i always get the red SR ,hence the red S

@GOTMAXPOWER Yep, that's how I went down to SR.E in the span of 10 races on Sarthe. Daring to get alongside another car on the straight, just bad sportmanship. The SR Down for getting hit from behind is back as well, but a lot more than just -3 SR it was before. Fail to avoid a dive bomb is a penalty for you while spinning out in the gravel.

I don't even bother make gifs anymore of the broken penalties, all I have to say is
giphy.gif

Well done PD, you have managed to get the penalty accuracy below 20%.
Let's try for less than 10% correct next update! :banghead: I still get punted now and then without receiving a penalty, that can't be right.

SR on Race B is messed up. 2 second penalty for hitting a swerving ghosted car cost me 23 SR points. Although no reason was given as to the penalty. CRB is only worth 7. It's a long way back!!!!

So when is this going to get fixed?
The state its in encourages bad driving and punting.
My SR has taken a nose-dive because I keep getting punted, stupid penalties for another car spinning out and hitting me. Others shoving me off the track and getting no penalty.
Only way I can get SR back is to drop off the grid from the start line, back to last, then fight through the pack. Otherwise I get punted first corner and end up last anyway, but way behind.

Just a hot take of mine: Sometimes the reason the "victim" get penalties is because the game thinks they* are blocking you. Hell, I had one SR down and one penalty for too defensive during today's FIA race, while someone I accidentally punted (due to late braking) had a penalty during qualifying, probably because the game thinks that driver was blocking.

*assuming the victim is another player and not you. Otherwise, reverse the word placement.

Last edited:
So when is this going to get fixed?
The state its in encourages bad driving and punting.
My SR has taken a nose-dive because I keep getting punted, stupid penalties for another car spinning out and hitting me. Others shoving me off the track and getting no penalty.
Only way I can get SR back is to drop off the grid from the start line, back to last, then fight through the pack. Otherwise I get punted first corner and end up last anyway, but way behind.

That's been my experience lately as well

I'm hopeful of shared 'blame' coming back. I'd also run it a slightly different way and just issue penalties based on severity and regularity of contact.

To put it simply - (they could obviously go into more depth with more tiers)

Severe contact - 5 points
Moderate - 3
Light/minimal - 1

Every five points accumulated gets you a penalty and costs you SR.

5 - 2s penalty and -10SR
10 - 5s and -20SR
15 - 10s and -30SR
20 - DQ and a reset to D/E

People who are quick but can't race without contact wouldn't stay in the high lobbies very long, it would filter down, eventually work itself out and clean drivers should be racing other clean drivers

Last edited:
As much as I like that idea, and I really do, it's not going to happen. FIA would not allow that an innocent driver is penalized.
Innocent drivers are getting penalised though. Start of my FIA on Saturday, running 7th into Les Combes on L1 I get dive bombed (he wasn't making the corner without hitting me), then as I'm trying to recover I get nudged wide through Malmedy, I lost three places and got a penalty for going wide at Malmedy while the dive bomber who caused it all happily drove around in 7th with no punishment and got ready to throw it up the inside of someone else.

It's extremely difficult to apportion blame correctly, as we've seen ever since the game came out, you punish both cars the clean drivers will eventually rise up and stay with the clean, the dirty/reckless will race their destruction derbies

Last edited:
It seems the contact penalties have been almost turned off again for race B. I got rammed off twice, second time into a wall, no penalties issued. All the bumps from behind or tapping a car in front, no SR Downs. The penalty zone has been turned off as well so people are braking before the finish line to scrub shortcut and wall penalties. Wall penalties are still 5 sec but are less sensitive or rather you have to hit the wall the right way (wall ride) to get the penalty. Shot cut penalties are random, some people can cut entire sections off the track, the next gets 1 sec for putting a wheel over a kerb.

It's already becoming a gnarly mess at race B, so much contact and no TCS heroes going sideways over the narrow track. This would be a better description of GTS' penalty system
Dr_Jekyll_and_Mr_Hyde_poster_edit2.jpg

Should be easy to remain at 99 SR this week, but all the bad apples will be there as well :/

What???!!!!! That is exactly what has been happening for months now and it still has not been addressed. Are you sure you're speaking GTS???
Yes I am. Let me clarify. FIA wouldn't accept the intentionally punishment of innocent players.
And I believe this is the very reason we have a penalty system in shambles.
The system is trying to make it so the person not gaining from the contact is not being punished.
So when someone dive-bombs you, you gain speed, they loose speed. So the system thinks you where better off, while they where blocked (what is it with PD's obsession about brake checking?) And that's why you get the penalty. In the eyes of the system the guilty party are punished.
Now FIA at the ones who set up the demands on PD, and are obviously oblivion to the effect.
So it's really FIA we should direct our complaints to, not PD.

Last edited:
System is utter trash right now. Just got 2 dings from behind (1 from a buddy who bump drafted me), no actual penalty ... just the orange down arrow. The rest of the 10-lap race was clean, and now my SR drops 20 points? Serious WTF. The whole system seemed to have change mysteriously in the last week.

I'm hopeful of shared 'blame' coming back. I'd also run it a slightly different way and just issue penalties based on severity and regularity of contact.

To put it simply - (they could obviously go into more depth with more tiers)

Severe contact - 5 points
Moderate - 3
Light/minimal - 1

Every five points accumulated gets you a penalty and costs you SR.

5 - 2s penalty and -10SR
10 - 5s and -20SR
15 - 10s and -30SR
20 - DQ and a reset to D/E

People who are quick but can't race without contact wouldn't stay in the high lobbies very long, it would filter down, eventually work itself out and clean drivers should be racing other clean drivers
I don't like the resetting of DR for dirty drivers, it puts them against slow drivers for easy wins (even after they have got back to SR 99). The dirty get the easy wins that they want and the slow drivers are the real losers.

Now I REALLY don't understand the system. It HAS to be just a complete lottery or some blindfolded monkey smashing buttons on a keyboard. Earlier, 2 no-time orange down arrow penalties was a 20 SR drop. Just now, I was given a 4s collision penalty (car bumped me into someone), and my SR went up by 2pts.

I don't like the resetting of DR for dirty drivers, it puts them against slow drivers for easy wins (even after they have got back to SR 99). The dirty get the easy wins that they want and the slow drivers are the real losers.

Yeah I did think that, maybe just a SR reset then (and stop the system where DR can't be more than two grades higher than SR), but it would help if the system made it very difficult to get to 99SR. Far too easy at the minute

I "raced" or let me say participated in 7-8 daylie races Monza yesterday with my subaccount, (DR A/A+ SR/S - Lobbys).

I really can NOT imagine that PD will be able to fix this system in the next or further updates. The only thing that the Penalty System does is to consistantly punish the wrong one (if it punisehes at all). Only the track limit supervision is quite acceptable, but incident supervision is simply nothing worth.

It's not even worth mentioning or analyzing it anymore. You can use this game either fo livery making, community racing or hotlapping but not for it's sportsmode. It's not even fun when you don't care about DR, it's just waste of time.

I "raced" or let me say participated in 7-8 daylie races Monza yesterday with my subaccount, (DR A/A+ SR/S - Lobbys).

I really can NOT imagine that PD will be able to fix this system in the next or further updates. The only thing that the Penalty System does is to consistantly punish the wrong one (if it punisehes at all). Only the track limit supervision is quite acceptable, but incident supervision is simply nothing worth.

It's not even worth mentioning or analyzing it anymore. You can use this game either fo livery making, community racing or hotlapping but not for it's sportsmode. It's not even fun when you don't care about DR, it's just waste of time.

It would be best just to punish both drivers - at least that way the driver at fault will be trained to stop (if they want to win races). Attempts to apportioning blame are not working at the moment.

The conclusion I have come to after 20 years of GT is just to junk it.
The penalty system is not the problem, it is the way people race.
This could be corrected if a zero tolerance approach to incidents was implemented to ensure that no one could gain an advantage by bumping or barging but that’s unlikely. There are many who prioritise DR/SR ratings above race results, fair enough, they can more easily compensate when they figure out that action X gives penalty Y. I have zero interest in DR/SR. I simply enjoy racing, which is virtually impossible in GT Sport. I have given it enough time for some kind of improvement but from now on I’ll stick with Dirt Rally etc.

This weeks combos are a perfect example of inoperative blame assignment. I don’t race these tracks tho. I know what they will be.
Imo the original system was best. It was simple shared sr down or pen for all detected contact.
You combine that with some rating scoring tweaks, racing could be great again imo.
In lieu implement heavy damage and sr system tweaks that could work also.

But , only GT Sport have dedicated servers for racing and proper matchmaking system.

Imagine the hassle to set up a server that can host 60 players at once or run a private hosted league

Apart from iRacing, I dont think there are any title that have dedicated servers just for racing.

I have made some honest mistakes this week and am absolutely stunned what I have gotten away with. I let folks past after a punt and my SR drops but no penalty, even i am thinking damn, that deserves a penalty.

I go back a long time to when they started punishing the person in front instead of the person behind, been down hill sense then, that was what, 18 months ago?

Yep.
Also they should make this game where if you total your car you have to buy new, also pay to repair crash damage.
Make it expensive to wreck stuff anywhere except lobby or arcade mode.

I'm out of the loop; GTS apparently received a big penalty revision not too long ago? My wheel's been shelved for two or maybe even three months now; could anyone kindly point me in the direction of the thread that describes the changes or just summarizes them on a post here? Reviewing the last two pages as of this post, it appears that the system is still pretty negatively-received when it comes to incidents involving contact.

Back