PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

ur team of straw men.
Explain to the clearly uninformed me how your startling new method work at turn 4 at Interlagos for example.
If you take the most inside line possible there you will get passed on the outside every time by a car moving much faster and you lose grounds all the way up the hill afterwards. The only way you don’t is by running your opponent off the track at the exit. Clean?

Honest question. Do you read my posts or just quote me and try to contradict me?
Interlagos is one of my favorite tracks.
I just did a great 2 hour endurance race there online with friends from this site.
4-5 of them are some of the fastest on the NA server.
I’m not going to say much regarding Descida de Lago (lakes descent) to help you because frankly I don’t care for your tone.
I will say though that 99 percent of drivers in GTS I’ve seen in the many many races I’ve done in gr3 and 4 don’t ‘get’ Interlagos.
Turn 4 is a fantastic example of mistakes they make when racing there.
If you were a friend that single turn would make a fantastic discussion but I digress.
I don’t think you read my posts. Nothing I am alluding to is anything but real world textbook racecraft.
I certainly didn’t invent racecraft, I’m certainly not the best, but I can continue to learn, practice, and improve.
Simulations are a fantastic genre for a person with an open mind who like learning, skill level doesn’t matter, wherever you are in the pecking order you can learn and improve a little...

Honest question. Do you read my posts or just quote me and try to contradict me?
Interlagos is one of my favorite tracks.
I just did a great 2 hour endurance race there online with friends from this site.
4-5 of them are some of the fastest on the NA server.
I’m not going to say much regarding Descida de Lago (lakes descent) to help you because frankly I don’t care for your tone.
I will say though that 99 percent of drivers in GTS I’ve seen in the many many races I’ve done in gr3 and 4 don’t ‘get’ Interlagos.
Turn 4 is a fantastic example of mistakes they make when racing there.
If you were a friend that single turn would make a fantastic discussion but I digress.
I don’t think you read my posts. Nothing I am alluding to is anything but real world textbook racecraft.
I certainly didn’t invent racecraft, I’m certainly not the best, but I can continue to learn, practice, and improve.
Simulations are a fantastic genre for a person with an open mind who like learning, skill level doesn’t matter, wherever you are in the pecking order you can learn and improve a little...
Fair enough. I never regard forum posters as friends or otherwise. Yes I did read your posts and disagree with them.
All you have responded with is comments like, that’s not true, that’s a straw man, you didn’t read my post etc.
None of those comments actually address the point that in such an example as I gave, ultimately the slower entry, tighter line entry will always lead to a slower exit and the only way you can defend at that point is to take advantage of the flawed penalty system that will give a time penalty to the guy on the outside that you will run off the road.

Fair enough. I never regard forum posters as friends or otherwise. Yes I did read your posts and disagree with them.
All you have responded with is comments like, that’s not true, that’s a straw man, you didn’t read my post etc.
None of those comments actually address the point that in such an example as I gave, ultimately the slower entry, tighter line entry will always lead to a slower exit and the only way you can defend at that point is to take advantage of the flawed penalty system that will give a time penalty to the guy on the outside that you will run off the road.
Look up David Perel's video of defense in real GT3 cars, if you do this and then delay your acceleration your opponent can not use the extra speed out. Park on the apex they call it.

Look do you read my posts or not man?
Inside...Tight...Doesn’t have to mean slowing to a crawl, it only means having a tighter arc than the car chasing to prevent them from gaining angle of attack on you.
You have to as I’ve already said, read the situation dynamically. You have to prioritize exactly where you want to be fast or maybe slow depending on the situation. The possibility always exists that the guy behind you is faster and will overtake you. Dynamic means not static, ever changing. As I’ve already said.
You can’t run people off that’s ridiculous.
I’m just talking about how to lessen your chances of getting screwed with or getting pens.
At Interlagos for example you might depending on situation, like getting harassed with a car close behind choose an entry 2 feet inside the best approach to maintain the inner arc, I’m not necessarily saying have two wheels on the curbing and park it, although in some cases that’s required.
It’s why lots of times people battle idiotically and you have to have a strategy to mitigate their stupidity and protect yourself. Battling slows both cars, you have to pick when to battle. Sometimes it’s best to do opposite of what I say and let a guy through and fall back in quickly.
It’s dynamic and based on situation.
No ones running guys off or trying to give pens, just talking survival really.
Yes that’s racing sometimes you eat the bear sometimes the bear eats you, that’s what keeps it fun. @Dmac72

Came back to GT Sport after several months away. The current penalty system is awful and encourages awful driving. I can't take anyone arguing otherwise seriously.

I'm in S SR races and folk are just punting people off as they know there's no penalty.

Sad to come back and see the game in this state.

I came back as well.. D DR S SR I've been focusing a lot on keeping it clean while learning to battle more.

Got into more dailies and noticed a lot of punting and dive bombing going on ahead of me without seeing penalties show up.

Next race I was bombarded off the track repeatedly with the offending drivers getting no penalties.

I decided let me see how far this thing has come with the penalty system... Unreal... I worked my ass off to get penalties doing everything imaginable and only ended up with one 4sec penalty. My SR didn't even come back red despite all this. GT/PD has got to figure it out somehow, but maybe not with a future game in the works?

It does appear people are absolutely taking advantage of this and it's almost become a free for all.

Look up David Perel's video of defense in real GT3 cars, if you do this and then delay your acceleration your opponent can not use the extra speed out. Park on the apex they call it.

Thanks for mentioning his name.
I’ve watched a lot of his stuff and it’s all been excellent and I’ve learned a lot from him. I hold anyone who races a GT3 Ferrari in highest respect. I don’t have the cojones or ability to do what he does.
I notice as a real racer he mentions many great points about making lap times you might not think about from just playing a sim and going round on your own.
One thing he mentions sometimes is distance covered on a given track section and not using too much width unnecessarily. Makes you think.
Really enjoy his content :)

Hello gents, i can not understand PD we have end of aprill and it's four monts whit this stupid penalty system, i have two reces behind me this morning and in each of this reces i got penalty for being hit and drivers that hits me are clean, wtf!:mad: Currently dropt my SR to C-39 by being bumpt.

No, that’s not their intent. As was mentioned above it would be ludicrous to assume that the adjustments they make to the sr system have no intent behind them.
This iteration protects the player inside closest to apex. I admit there’s always the possibility of error though. There’s a chance they will come out today and say you know we inverted some logic somewhere accidentally...jmo

You have to brake a LITTLE early anytime you go inside or you will either go deep and your opponent will crossover and pass on exit or worse you smash into them.
Going inside you go inside, you must hug tight (mostly thinking slow corners now).
You can’t dive in then leave a gap, PLUS if you don’t HOLD inside a good player can nose stick you and upset your car.
Being inside means the other car can’t get an angle on you to do anything at all even if they are actively trying to murder you. Inside means inside.
If you establish track position on the inside into a braking zone off a straight, the last thing you wanna do is get overeager and go past your opponents car and open up a crossover first off.
Second yeah you’ll be getting into the brake pedal a touch early but not 50 meters lol.
A good player will be like haha and nose their car a bit ahead, but you modulate your braking to match theirs, NOT going all the way past them on entry, just matching and ideally being about a half car length ahead of them and close to them. If you are close to them it’s safer because even if there’s contact it won’t be as dangerous. In this fashion there’s nothing they can do at all and your car is positioned to get on power earlier on exit.
You’ve neutered them there’s nothing they can do to you except fall in behind on exit and try to build an attack on the next part of the track. This doesn’t involve contacting them at all...This was not an idea I invented it’s taken from instructional text on real racing.
It requires brake modulation though, 99 percent of players in this game don’t have the ability to modulate braking. They only have their braking point and go 100 percent and their braking point plus the abs function determines their entry.
That’s not a good way to go about it imo.
In traffic car in front of you the situation is dynamic. You can’t just hit your mark as if no one is there, that’s why so many people rear end each other.
You have to look at other cars as part of the track in a race. In real time the situation is not static it’s dynamic. You have to adapt in real time to the situation.
Again none of this stuff comes from my own mind. I read it in books, and have been practicing it in game for over 24 months. These principles when applied keep you from receiving sr downs and penalties 99 percent of the time.
I’m not going to sift through tons of replays and put all the time in on video etc. I’m not interested in video editing or putting up videos.
I’ve recommended a billion times if people want to improve studying real racing.
There’s nothing wrong with that.
Like me, I’m not the fastest racer, I do my best, but others drive much faster. All I do is run consistent racepace and try to apply the principles I’ve learned.
It makes the game really fun for me to play.
Hey muhammed Ali thanks for your contribution to the discussion, and no I don’t do drugs.

Seriously, how many times do you not get hit from the rear if braking early? As far as modulating braking to match the other car many times you cant see the other car so real world tactics although nice to apply in theory just dont work on a video game. That's not even considering lag and latency which is a huge problem, and I have a great, hard wired connection. I know to brake early when following cars and also when on the inside going 2 wide, I race mainly leagues where I will be held accountable for my actions but how many in dailys drive like that? You are lucky to find 1 or 2 in a room if at all, everyone brakes at the last foot regardless of traffic or slipstream. Maybe something has changed with the driving in dailys but with so many alternate accounts and new players I find it unlikely for the dailys to be any different from my last which was Jan of 2019. Maybe I will give it a try next time I see a combo I like but I wont hold my breath, especially as I watched this thread since the beginning.

That's real GT cars though, racers tend to not use them as battering rams, in the game that does not hold true. In fact many real world tactics fail to hold true in the fantasy land of esports. How many times have you seen a driver who is 1 second ahead of you go off roading and maintain his lead over you, it happens very often in the game but rarely ever in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, how many times do you not get hit from the rear if braking early? As far as modulating braking to match the other car many times you cant see the other car so real world tactics although nice to apply in theory just dont work on a video game. That's not even considering lag and latency which is a huge problem, and I have a great, hard wired connection. I know to brake early when following cars and also when on the inside going 2 wide, I race mainly leagues where I will be held accountable for my actions but how many in dailys drive like that? You are lucky to find 1 or 2 in a room if at all, everyone brakes at the last foot regardless of traffic or slipstream. Maybe something has changed with the driving in dailys but with so many alternate accounts and new players I find it unlikely for the dailys to be any different from my last which was Jan of 2019. Maybe I will give it a try next time I see a combo I like but I wont hold my breath, especially as I watched this thread since the beginning.

Tbh if you like league/lobby and are used to respect, I wouldn’t bother.
Re your first line about real world not applying, my results speak to that, we can agree to disagree. I guess I’m sort of from a different POV, I accept going in there will be pirates...To me the simcadeness or arcadeness can be more fun than knowing no one will touch you in some ways.

Like going into a race in a situation where you know 90 percent chance no one will crash you out is one thing. The added element of risk in sport mode is something players will have to square with, or switch to league or club races.

Last edited:

That's real GT cars though, racers tend to not use them as battering rams, in the game that does not hold true. In fact many real world tactics fail to hold true in the fantasy land of esports. How many times have you seen a driver who is 1 second ahead of you go off roading and maintain his lead over you, it happens very often in the game but rarely ever in real life.
I did that all last week on Fujii. Through T1, through the chikane and in last turn before the straight. Did not get punted off once. The only ones hitting me where people who took the wide qualify line out in the right part to get a good run and came into the apex where I already where.

Last edited:
Thought I'd try Race B this week, oh dear what a stupid bad mistake.

My first session was good with a number of top 5 finishes including two 3rds and a 2nd. Was already back into DR B with points rising well. However, second session yesterday afternoon was mayhem with carnage at the first bend and drivers trying to take the uphill bend after the stands at full speed with resulting chaos. The remainder of the course was no better with cars flying off in all directions.

Result for me - DR Reset following loss of so many SR points. I was DR B / SR S and now DR D / SR E

Way forward -
1) not give a damn about SR or DR because I'm likely to lose all my hard work anyway,
2) swear at the telly with the living room door shut and
3) give as good as I get until they fix this rubbish.

not give a damn about SR or DR

It's good advice to give yourself. I tried Race A in an SR 99 lobby for the first time this week, I was on course for a close finish with P1 but sadly, there was a 'that guy' in the lobby to ruin the fun. I was punted like a cue ball at T3 and the force of it hit me along with P1 off the track. I got SR down and the perpetrator finishes first without a penalty and a blue SR.

Although don't get me wrong, there's some great racing to be had provided people aspire to be clean. It's just the above kind of races leave me feeling kind of sour and I begin to wonder what the point is anymore. Then I'll come back another day and have a great, clean race out of nowhere. This game can be a rollercoaster of emotions.

Where was the penalty in this huh? I guarantee if I did this, I would have had 5 seconds and SR down.

Hitting a car around whilst under a yellow flag should be race over, nevermind a penalty. I can't believe the penalty system is still this bad really. :banghead:

Also what happened to the penalty for overtaking under yellow, is that allowed now too? Or did the Beetle cause that too (with a little push) so it was forgiven or something? :dopey:

The only unsurprising thing in this video is that it is a Beetle at fault.:rolleyes:

Videos like above are yet another reason I run tcs. It’s always funny to have a dirty driver try to nudge nudge, and nothing happens.
Sometimes the jerks keep trying LMAO then it’s ON. A big dog can only take so much bs. But sometimes in sport mode you feel like this bigger dog.

Last edited:
Videos like above are yet another reason I run tcs. It’s always funny to have a dirty driver try to nudge nudge, and nothing happens.
Sometimes the jerks keep trying LMAO then it’s ON. A big dog can only take so much bs. But sometimes in sport mode you feel like this bigger dog.

True. Too bad I’m slower with TCS on.

that has always been my philosophy, even made a thread about it a while back

Good to learn I'm not alone.

I could resign from the game altogether, but I enjoy the competition and would not want to lose that.

Also, we just cannot let the bad boys win the day and, when you've nothing to lose, it's quite fun to bring yourself down to their level even for one or two races just to have some well earned revenge!

Having clawed back to DR C / SR C yesterday, from the depths of D/E with a couple of good results, I was in races with some fast drivers with good skills and it occurred to me that these must also be people who had previously been drivers with higher rankings. This just endorses the fact that the driver rating system in no way reflects a drivers true ability. So why give it a jot of credibility??

that has always been my philosophy, even made a thread about it a while back
Nice to be so zen. Some time ago, I made up the philosophy that penalties are just random events with which one has to deal. I can live with random. I can live with punters that get away with it. Worked for a while, but then I realized that it was not random. It's so hard to accept something that is worse than random.

I can live with any penalty system that is not ridiculous.
Recently (since the update) I've not been getting ridiculous penalties. I hope that this is not just a random occurrence.

**** me, PD. I hope somebody from your company reads this thread. The amount of penalties and SR down arrows I've received today for other people punting me, running me off the track or swerving back onto the track and hitting me is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

I broke a controller today. My PS4 is probably next.

Excuse the crosspost. I accidentally put this in the FIA thread before this.

The amount of penalties and SR down arrows I've received today for other people punting me, running me off the track or swerving back onto the track and hitting me is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

I had a run in with an idiot in the Manufacturer's race who I managed to avoid him bombing on the first few corners of the final lap except the last where I was punted, spinned and lost 5 positions with an SR down on top. I don't see a point to taking this game seriously anymore and haven't for a long time. By not looking after and leaving the system the way it is, this is the level of racing Polyphony Digital want.

47f3570192.png

His graph didn't surprise me at all. The SR system has failed, simple as that. Drivers like the above shouldn't be racing at SR 99. It renders DR/SR more meaningless when only the victim is punished. This is why shared fault would be an improvement over the current because the perpetrator is at least punished too.

Sure, you can have clean racing but the penalty system isn't a necessity when a lobby is clean but let's not forget the elephant in the room. On the plus side, Assetto Corsa Competizione is out in a little over a month. Day one buy for me.

On the plus side, Assetto Corsa Competizione is out in a little over a month. Day one buy for me.

I never seriously considered abandoning this title until now. In the last couple of days, my patience and tolerance with the shortcomings of this game has worn thin. It really is amazing how much PD sucks in this department. And not just the SR/penalty system. I think many of us have said numerous times that better communication would go a long way. Basically, all we get is silence, obfuscation and the occasional tinkering to make things worse. I had high hopes for this last update, as it seemed like PD was responding to the concerns of the community. Apparently not.

ACC for PS4 is looking more and more enticing every day.

I think the biggest sign Polyphony is failing is that we dont hear from Sven very often because he is not playing GTS. He had to be one of the most prolific sports mode racers on this platform, I think that speaks volumes about Polyphonys failure to improve the penalty system.

I think the biggest sign Polyphony is failing is that we dont hear from Sven very often because he is not playing GTS. He had to be one of the most prolific sports mode racers on this platform, I think that speaks volumes about Polyphonys failure to improve the penalty system.

I think that everyone who plays GTS on this forum has been a victim of the failed penalty system. We all wish for PD to makes the penalties logical, but they can't/won't. That just leaves each of us with 2 choices: stick around (fine if you are a great qualifier & racer) or walk away & refuse to be punching bags for less skilled drivers. I too chose to boycott the dailies. If I hadn't met some of the drivers on GTP & gotten in good with them, this game would be worthless to me now.

I think that everyone who plays GTS on this forum has been a victim of the failed penalty system. We all wish for PD to makes the penalties logical, but they can't/won't. That just leaves each of us with 2 choices: stick around (fine if you are a great qualifier & racer) or walk away & refuse to be punching bags for less skilled drivers. I too chose to boycott the dailies. If I hadn't met some of the drivers on GTP & gotten in good with them, this game would be worthless to me now.
I'll miss you, but I will see you in lobbies.

Back