PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Im very very sad about how dirty you must race in order to win...otherwise, you get last place.Im dive-bombed every corner with no reason.
The pattern is the same:
1 - I start in 3th to 6th place (Im not a good driver, but I drive as Clean as possible)
2 - I get hit in my right or left door in the first corner by a driver who dont break;
If my line is close, then I get hit behind (so, does not matter if I make a wide or a close racing line, I will get hit);
3 - I get off the track and loose all positions;
4 - I get penalty;
5 - The dive-bomber earn a position and ruins my race (that took 15 minutes to start...).

C'mom, devs. It is not so hard to prevent this.

I haven't even loaded up GTS yet this week, don't feel like it either. I used to still get clean respectful races during school hours. Lunch break, early morning, still had good clean racing. Since the schools closed and the SR ranks are all mixed up due to blame assignment being worse than ever, the balance has shifted considerably for the worse. Not worth waiting for a race to start any longer. It was fun for the first 11K races :lol:

Snow runner looks nice, successor to spin tires, different pace. For now Streets of rage 4 is keeping me entertained.

I'll be back for N24, Bathurst (not GR.4 race B), Le Mans maybe (it's always the same combo) and Spa with a good car. And Tokyo in the rain can't be missed. GR.1 at other tracks than Le Mans would get me interested as well but PD doesn't like that.

I think a simple solution or at least worth trying would be enable more ghosting. If someone is coming flying in and the algorithm assess cars ahead being punted off the said car is ghosted so they cannot use others as brakes, and or just ruin peoples race, they go flying off because they are idiots or just missed their braking point ( it happens I have done it but I generally try to avoid others if this happens). Same with people reentering the track after they have come off, or after they have hit the wall. I know this does happen a bit but it needs to be strengthened IMO.

Why can't the game penalise people who ignore blue flags? Last night I was racing the SF race and closing on the leader with fresh tyres at the end, it should've been a good battle but then we caught a backmarker who carried on oblivious for almost 2 laps (with the dirty air you need roughly a 1.5s pace advantage to make an easy pass). Eventually the leader understeered off the road whilst trying to get close enough to make a pass, the person who caused it lost nothing.

A 1 second penalty (and SR down) for ignoring the flags for over a sector should be enough, it gives them enough time to move over on their own and if not the penalty is large enough that the people they're holding up can get past. It's not relevant this week but something similar should apply for the pit exit line abusers too.

Polyphony are only interested in player numbers at this point. It would be no surprise if GTS eventually becomes F2P or 'free' via PSN+ and in the unlikely event there are major changes to the system, Polyphony would take a risk of losing all casual crash-happy GTA/Wreckfest players which make up a big part of those numbers.

The transition of this game from the penalty system's focal point has slowly become more simcade than sim over time to cater for casual players. That was demonstrated by removing heavy damage and moving away from a shared blame system which is the norm in other games like Assetto Corsa Competizione and iRacing. If developers of those titles continue using a shared fault system, it's clearly working out although a key difference is those games have many more serious racers.

The bottom line is Polyphony seem fine for this type of driver to continue ruining races with minimal penalty repercussion (and in many cases, rewarded) at the expense of others who want to race clean under correct racing rules.

I wouldnt think that Polyphony wants the casual player, they are the ones that may play for a week or 2 but then they choose another game instead, they dont stick around like the more serious sim racer. I have a feeling that the penalty system works pretty good, at least for the type of racing you see at the World Final races that Sony puts on. Races where all of the drivers are familiar with the track, are all about the same speed and skill level, are not purposely causing accidents, etc. but everywhere else the penalty system completely fails. Polyphony is surviving on their past productions, if they dont improve the game with the next release I suspect their sales numbers will fall because the competition actually listens to their customers and takes action. In the retail world where there are so many choices customer service is taking the front seat and Polyphony completely fails in that department.

Why can't the game penalise people who ignore blue flags? Last night I was racing the SF race and closing on the leader with fresh tyres at the end, it should've been a good battle but then we caught a backmarker who carried on oblivious for almost 2 laps (with the dirty air you need roughly a 1.5s pace advantage to make an easy pass). Eventually the leader understeered off the road whilst trying to get close enough to make a pass, the person who caused it lost nothing.

A 1 second penalty (and SR down) for ignoring the flags for over a sector should be enough, it gives them enough time to move over on their own and if not the penalty is large enough that the people they're holding up can get past. It's not relevant this week but something similar should apply for the pit exit line abusers too.

backmarkers are ghosted dude i dont see how they can disturb you

They ghost so you can drive through them but they're physically still there, you can pick up slipstream on the straights and dirty air in the corners. In aero sensitive cars like these they make a big difference.
I doubt the average player is aware of that. I certainly wasn't until very recently, so maybe most don't think the blue flags mean much and are more 'for show', just as the yellows were for a long time before it suddenly was possible to get a penalty for overtaking under one.

It might also help if they didn't appear so blooming early in many races, when the lead car is barely in view, if at all. Yes, you ned a warning the car is approaching, but you shouldn't need to actually slow right down to enable the lead cars to catch you before you've passed several blues as is often the case. Then, I would definitely agree with a penalty for ignoring them.

I doubt the average player is aware of that. I certainly wasn't until very recently, so maybe most don't think the blue flags mean much and are more 'for show', just as the yellows were for a long time before it suddenly was possible to get a penalty for overtaking under one.

It might also help if they didn't appear so blooming early in many races, when the lead car is barely in view, if at all. Yes, you ned a warning the car is approaching, but you shouldn't need to actually slow right down to enable the lead cars to catch you before you've passed several blues as is often the case. Then, I would definitely agree with a penalty for ignoring them.

You shouldn't have to slow down at all for lead cars when being shown the blue flag. The blue flag really is there to alert you that lead lap cars are behind, dont fight them, and maintain your line so you do not interfere with their race, they are faster and should be able to make their way by.

You know if you enter, the system right now isn’t as bad as you might think from reading comments.
At least if you are in A 99.
D5CF7F39-8591-49DF-B862-FB0798B1A00C.gif

You have to achieve a certain level of competency in racecraft in order to see what’s in some of these good lobbies.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to slow down at all for lead cars when being shown the blue flag. The blue flag really is there to alert you that lead lap cars are behind, dont fight them, and maintain your line so you do not interfere with their race, they are faster and should be able to make their way by.
But that's exactly my point - the blue flag warnings come up so ridiculously early in the game that you could actually pass enough to get a penalty if they started to penalise you for ignoring them in line with real life racing. I've had the warning come up and have past several flags before a lead car has come even close to catching up with me,

Holding your line makes sense in multi-class racing where cars have different performance, in races where everybody is in the same class (eg F1) you should make it easy on the leaders, a small lift on the straight should be enough, carrying on as normal is interfering with their race.

You know if you enter, the system right now isn’t as bad as you might think from reading comments.
At least if you are in A 99.
View attachment 918890
You have to achieve a certain level of competency in racecraft in order to see what’s in some of these good lobbies.

you must be joking right? DR A SR 99 is one of the dirtiest group by a huge margin

I've only had a handful of races this week in the SF after a long break but the penalty system now does not make any sense and where have the big penalties gone. :boggled:

I got one for clipping a dc'd or quit car that came back on the track at a stupid angle. :banghead:

I watched another driver (via replay) push any car they came across including a clear punt and get no penalties (did get SR- though) and get a penalty for a block whilst other blocks by them and others were ignored. :crazy:

But hey it let me pass a car whilst going off track without any penalty, I had no choice other than crash after they came back on track and moved over to where I was going to go whilst I was going way faster than them, so maybe that's an intentional improvement but I doubt it. :sly:

I'll add the videos later to these later on. ;) Edit:- Now added. :)

Last edited:
But that's exactly my point - the blue flag warnings come up so ridiculously early in the game that you could actually pass enough to get a penalty if they started to penalise you for ignoring them in line with real life racing. I've had the warning come up and have past several flags before a lead car has come even close to catching up with me,

I agree they do turn on early, I run an endurance series and sometimes I get blue flagged for multiple laps while the race leader is slowly gaining

Holding your line makes sense in multi-class racing where cars have different performance, in races where everybody is in the same class (eg F1) you should make it easy on the leaders, a small lift on the straight should be enough, carrying on as normal is interfering with their race.

I usually do make it easy to pass but sometimes you might have a battle of your own going on. If they are lapping you they should be fast and skilled enough to get by without me yielding, especially in short races like the dailys offer, they would have be many, many seconds per lap faster:D:D:cheers:

I usually do make it easy to pass but sometimes you might have a battle of your own going on

So, this is why I’m glad the game ghosts back markers. They mostly ignore flag rules anyhow.

Re @djidane57, at 99 show no weakness lol.
But also let’s say you put a ton of effort in on qual and hit a one lap wonder time you have almost no chance of equalling. At 99 there’s a strong chance you’ll get hassled if you aren’t up to pace and start holding people up. In that situation if someone’s all over you it’s best to yield.
At 99 people are ready to race and up to pace, if you are over your head you will cause incidents.
FWIW I’ve pretty much raced my whole career midpack 99. The pen system works decently right now.
Of course my perspective might be different on things, I don’t spend a ton of time watching videos of unjust penalties.
A lot of these videos are from levels below top 1-3 percent of the game.
At least on NA it needs to be pointed out that at certain levels people are still learning, or simply don’t care. They don’t know what they should be doing or let’s just say their racecraft is not strong. Thankfully once you get better you never see them unless doing no qual on alt.
Yes tho, there are dirty players at all levels and it’s infuriating when they get one over on you.
Very infuriating.

Last edited:
So, this is why I’m glad the game ghosts back markers. They mostly ignore flag rules anyhow.

Yes that and the intentional take-outs that were happening, either for revenge or just to help a teammate or countryman win. Or even just for trolls sake, it happened more than you'd think it would.

I'd rather they be no ghosts and no one driving like an idiot and/or not respecting the flag rules but that is never going to happen.

Yes that and the intentional take-outs that were happening, either for revenge or just to help a teammate or countryman win. Or even just for trolls sake, it happened more than you'd think it would.

I'd rather they be no ghosts and no one driving like an idiot and/or not respecting the flag rules but that is never going to happen.

Agreed.
Also I should mention my playing style. I tend to do 1-2 races at a sitting most times, because it’s pretty intense for me in cockpit sound blasting, and tbh if I race over and over say 6-8 races in a row it’ll be from no qual.
I think if you race continually for several hours straight and you are average skill you absolutely are going to get penalties.
I really do feel for the average speed player who makes a big effort not to hit others, because the system PLUS the fact of being surrounded by people of poor skill WILL make it so that you get penalized regularly.
However people of any speed can develop good racecraft IF they work on it.
Lotta times they’ve no idea how to avoid problems, and the system doesn’t save them. I KNOW and REMEMBER what it’s like to go from C to B on dr, at 99, that’s a VERY tough transition and I appreciate the difficulty involved.

Race C today, 2 bumps with other cars, one my fault, one I got rammed into another car, 2 SR downs but no penalty. Rest of the race green SRs. Come back to the lobby, I'm the only one with a red SR rating despite lots of penalties being handed out for collisions.

The penalty system ruins this game. Plain and simple!

For instance, how was this not a penalty?

Sorry, I've got to ask since I don't have a mobile phone myself.

Do these things not record horizontally???????

Why does the world insist on filming things in 9:16 from a 16:9 source to present them on a 16:9 screen, drives me crazy!

(btw just use the share button and link your you tube account to psn. Much easier, better quality in the right aspect ratio ;))

Why does the world insist on filming things in 9:16
Instagram.

Given that the PS4 - which is now 6.5 years old - records everything it sees, in 720p for PS4 and 1080p for PS4 Pro, on a permanent 15-minute loop, I still don't know why anyone films bits of their screen with their phone either. Record it live, stick it on a USB, put that on YouTube. Everyone can see everything as it actually happened.

Speaking of YouTube, my first livestream in over seven months consitlsted of one race where I was both divebombed and blocked and neither player at fault recieved a penalty.

I will most certainly do Specialtatin' of this race when I get a chance.

Just back into playing GT Sport after a looong time. Good lord, the penalty system is awful. I'm a clean racer, yet SR down almost every race from someone hitting ME! Even when I go off the track to allow people through into first corner and I get hit on the side I get SR drop warning and a 1 second penalty! Down from SR S to A. Even when I get all green SR and one Orange during a race, it goes down. Last race I accidentally outbreaked myself and nudged someone wide... My SR went up at end of race! So stupid

Just back into playing GT Sport after a looong time. Good lord, the penalty system is awful. I'm a clean racer, yet SR down almost every race from someone hitting ME! Even when I go off the track to allow people through into first corner and I get hit on the side I get SR drop warning and a 1 second penalty! Down from SR S to A. Even when I get all green SR and one Orange during a race, it goes down. Last race I accidentally outbreaked myself and nudged someone wide... My SR went up at end of race! So stupid
If there is minor side contact, and both cars stay on the track, for some reason, the person on the outside always gets the blame. Which is insane, because it promotes dive bombing. Just stay to the inside whenever you can.

If there is minor side contact, and both cars stay on the track, for some reason, the person on the outside always gets the blame. Which is insane, because it promotes dive bombing. Just stay to the inside whenever you can.

Cheers for that. Got back upto SR S after hanging back one race to avoid all contact, then went back down to A following race from someone punting me off on last lap... And I got a 1 sec penalty. Everyone else bar one other got a blue SR even though everyone else seemed to be punting eachother off. Makes no sense. Zero point caring about SR now it seems.

Instagram.

Given that the PS4 - which is now 6.5 years old - records everything it sees, in 720p for PS4 and 1080p for PS4 Pro, on a permanent 15-minute loop, I still don't know why anyone films bits of their screen with their phone either. Record it live, stick it on a USB, put that on YouTube. Everyone can see everything as it actually happened.

Was it not a thing even before Instagram (though I would agree that probably boosted its use)? As a photographer myself, I constantly want to wrench the phones out of people's hands and turn it to horizontal when they are filming videos! It's like having a 35mm camera round your neck and using the Disc or 110 camera (remember them?) in your pocket instead!

Mobile phones have not made photographers of us all as is claimed - they have just made it easier for everyone to 'take pictures'. Two entirely different things!

Back