PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

The penalty system was much fair and reasonable before the last update imo.

We have had many updates since the penalty system worked just ok, look at the date on the first post in this thread to get an idea of how long it has been broken for. Sven would know the last decent update number with a working penalty system. It's almost like Polyphony is trying to prove to us just how incompetent they are.

Is it just me or was the penalty system from the beginning of the game better than the one we currently have?

It was a very different system although better than the current. I'd describe it as harsh but fair. With adjustments, lowering timed penalties from 10 seconds for minor contact while keeping 10s for malicious driving, (divebombing, sideswiping etc) balance and improvement would likely had followed. At the time, I thought it could only become better. How wrong I was, lol.

Bad apples consistently making contact were placed in their respective low SRs because they were penalised every time. Where as now in many cases, those apples are avoiding penalties/SR reductions and the system is instead penalising the innocent driver so they're able to hold SR S status while causing the entire SR hierarchy to lose meaning.

Haha won't work in GT Sport. So often you get a penalty from someone brushing your car on the way to crashing or coming back on the track to go off again. Then you have to wait for that car to recover and pass you :lol:

That's before I mention the system already has difficulty assigning blame correctly. That's an understatement, but it has zero difficulty assigning blame incorrectly. I'm gonna see if I can pre-download Tlou2 yet, I think it unlocks on the 19th. After I find the ps4, haven't touched it in a while.

What you are saying is GTS need to fix The Penalty System then we Will have a a great Online Sim Racing Simulator. Maybe PD can get rid of AI’s all together, and put them in GT7 as game content.

Yep, just as I expected. Did 5 races from the back at Bathurst yesterday. Down to 33 SR. Was really respectful and patient with my overtakes, no stupid or reckless moves, gave space and all that 🤬. Never took anyone out or ruined anyone's race in any way. Got penalties or SR downs for completely inconsequential bumps and touches yet players who barge-passed, pushed me off the track or sent me into a wall (sometimes even on purpose) got none and finished with blue SR. I'm really done with Sport mode. I can't even laugh at it anymore. Calling this a penalty system is an insult to all systems. System usually means that there's some sort of rules and consistency in place. This is not a system, this is just failure. It's like having a match judged by blind referees. It simply cannot work.

New to the online bit of the game but enjoying it, yes the penalties system isn't the best and I have had my share of bad judgement from my part and from others the main thing that gets me are drivers that go out of thier way to hit other cars, think they should be removed from the race in question, it's frustrating but not much we can do at the mo.

I forgot just how awful the penalty system was until a recent race where I lost 14000 DR and 60SR in one go... somebody was parking it on the apex at bathurst and I ended up with 13sec in penalties, which results in quite a nasty drop when you quit a race. A small reminder of why I don't bother with online racing much these days.

No idea what happened here:

I've only ever seen 0.5s penalties there so I saved the clip which says I had 2 wheels inside the white line :confused:

I've only ever seen 0.5s penalties there so I saved the clip which says I had 2 wheels inside the white line :confused:

Never gotten that penalty but to me it does look like you had 4 wheels over the white line, or 2 wheels over the line and 2 wheels on the line. But a 1,5s penalty is pretty much for such a minimalistic cut. I would have given you a 0,5s penalty for that :P

Never gotten that penalty but to me it does look like you had 4 wheels over the white line, or 2 wheels over the line and 2 wheels on the line. But a 1,5s penalty is pretty much for such a minimalistic cut. I would have given you a 0,5s penalty for that :P
I thought you were allowed 2 on the line as long as you didn't fully cross it. I'll do a deal and plead guilty for your lesser sentence though :P

Mornin. My first post, and it's to b*tch about the penalty system. Seems I'm in the right place for that. First, I'm fairly new to GTSport racing. Even newer to Sport Mode racing. I went through most of the Campaign scenarios and did a lot of Arcade racing before joining real races. I'm not that good, but worked my way to lvl 33 with mostly gold awards, and got a bunch of free cars.
One thing I've noticed in Sport Mode, the other drivers seem fairly decent, courtesy wise, in the morning (US Eastern). The afternoon, not as much. The evening/night, forget it. I guess that's when parents keep their 12 yr olds inside and they've nothing else to do but make life miserable for the rest of us.
My last race. Three times, punted from behind, while in the braking zone of an almost hairpin, sent into the wall, and I got a two second penalty each time. The punters got nothing. With the first punt, I went from second to last. Later, while having a run out of a turn, I was passing another car, and he sideslammed me, TWICE, sending me off the track to the inside of the next turn. I got a 2 second penalty. He got nothing for initiating contact. I will say the final penalty of that race was my fault, as I caught up with him and sent us both to the wall, last lap, last turn. He called me trashhhhh, and claimed I couldn't handle the blocks. When did slamming into the side of another car sending it off track become a block?
Anyway... Anyone want to buy an acoustic/electric hybrid drumset? I need the cash to buy a more powerful computer and monitors to join IRacing. Until then, I'll go back to not qualifying, starting from the back, and picking my way through one at a time.

It's a sensitive spot just like going a bit too wide at the cutting. It used to be 3.something ish sec for that little 'cut', then 0.5 sec for any cut, now it's some rounding to the nearest 0.5 sec compared to what the AI would reach there.

Two places where you need to be careful at Mount Panorama.

Went down the spiral of SR death yesterday after the FIA events, which were by and large clean, but the Daily events nearly caused a reset on my hard earned main account.

Went to Tokyo to try and recover the DR lost in the Fuji FIA race. Worked great: won the first race I entered. But it was like a gateway drug. “Oh, that was too easy, I’ll just do it again, and I’ll be ahead of where I started the day...”

But then an erratic Brazilian guy was moving under braking in the underpass hairpin, and we had the slightest touch: -10 DR.

I don’t like to shut it off when my SR is not 99, and I definitely didn’t deserve a penalty, so: let’s run a Race C, which I enjoyed earlier in the week, to get those 10 SR back.

Just avoid the L1 T1 carnage, and it should be ok, right? So I do, I gap the mob behind me after a great start, even overlapped the guy in front of me and eased up to let him thru the kink first… and thought I was safe. See some piling up behind me, but I don’t have any contact.

“SR Down” …WTF? Wasn’t even any contact, and if there was, it was to my rear bumper when I was getting away from people who were likely in a chain reaction. Total joke.

Then, after carefully settling in for the rest of the race, trying to avoid any contact at the expense of a position if I had to, an AMG loses it in the esses before the penalty zone, all on his own, and as he leaves the track I dive to the right to steer clear. He helplessly tank-slaps his way onto the track again, I think I’m clear, but after I clear him in my front view, he must have caught my rear quarter panel. I get another SR reduction! So stupid!

So now I’m in the 70’s again. Do a Race A to try to increment it back up. Another pushy Brazilian barges thru my door panel to recover a position I passed him clean for earlier, in the last R/L/R complex, putting me in the wall. Penalty and SR reduction. FML.

Expecting at this point to see my DR reset, after 6 months of working like hell to get it to A. Got a meek “I’m Sorry” in the post race chat (that’s something) and waited to see what the Kudosprime page showed me.

Thankfully SR was “only” reduced to 66, and no DR reset. I had realized after entering this last race that the smartest solution originally (other than not running in Dailies) was to re-run the FIA race at Fuji, because it was worth 30 SR and would be nearly impossible to not get positive points, if I drive as carefully as I usually do. But it was nearly too late.

I do run it in the last slot, palms sweating and nervous as a snake in a wagon wheel rut, and get the 30 points again, without any DR impact, so mission accomplished there. It wasn’t easy though as that lobby in the SR Rehabilitation Class was full of all kinds of shenanigans. I let a guy finish ahead of me with some friendly persuasion, to avoid him hitting me by accident (which seemed highly likely) but there was an AMG prowling behind us on occasion so it was a matter of managing the gaps front and back to avoid ANY contact that would trigger another of the STUPID SR penalties that PD seem to think “make sense”.

Last edited:
Is it just me or was the penalty system from the beginning of the game better than the one we currently have? Like if I remember correctly it was a bit overzealous with handing out penalties but at least the person who perpetrated the incident actually got penalized.

I remember it gave a 10 second penalty if you hit someone from behind. That should be brought back imo.

As long as it cant be triggered by the front car brake checking the 2nd car, it would great.

I'm sure this is happening now. I did Race C and a clown ahead brake-checked twice way before a braking zone and each time I was given a 1sec penalty.

---

Another problem is penalties painted with the same -10 SR brush which is a short-sighted change. Light contact to the rear of a car = -10 SR or dive-bombing it off the track = -10SR. Should both be the same value? I don't think so. There's already little SR to gain in a race so it's not too difficult falling into a trap and finding yourself at SR A/B after a couple. Assuming the system has got it right, there's plenty of evidence out there showing it's often wrong and that makes the experience far worse. It's equivalent to racing on eggshells especially in short sprint races.

SR needs to be difficult to collect but -10 SR for every penalty doesn't make sense to me.

SR needs to be difficult to collect but -10 SR for every penalty doesn't make sense to me.

So this is why my R4M account lost so much SR in the past week! Have not been in the penalty thread for a while so this was news this morning!

Does this only apply to penalties that are from car collisions or also include shortcut penalties where you get 0.500 seconds but no SR down orange symbol. I would hope not but if it does then I will have to be even more "slow" on track to get my lost SR back!

I'm sure this is happening now. I did Race C and a clown ahead brake-checked twice way before a braking zone and each time I was given a 1sec penalty.

---

Another problem is penalties painted with the same -10 SR brush which is a short-sighted change. Light contact to the rear of a car = -10 SR or dive-bombing it off the track = -10SR. Should both be the same value? I don't think so. There's already little SR to gain in a race so it's not too difficult falling into a trap and finding yourself at SR A/B after a couple. Assuming the system has got it right, there's plenty of evidence out there showing it's often wrong and that makes the experience far worse. It's equivalent to racing on eggshells especially in short sprint races.

Do the cars that punt you off in a braking zone still get nothing??

Does this only apply to penalties that are from car collisions or also include shortcut penalties where you get 0.500 seconds but no SR down orange symbol.

Track limit penalties are exempt but you'll lose out on an SR Up for the sector.

Do the cars that punt you off in a braking zone still get nothing??

From what I've witnessed in my own races/replays, the system is assigning blame somewhat consistently in these scenarios. Ramming a car off and the victim hits a wall, it's 4 secs for the punter. If a car is punted into the sand and doesn't make contact with a wall, 2 secs. Although the timed penalties are a joke for 'damage' caused to the victim.

The problem is a combination of not giving SR down to the right driver(s) and the SR ranges are not big enough, so it's easy to ping-pong up and down the ratings even without changing your driving just depending on the randomness of other drivers causing accidents. The letter you're currently at is absolutely not a reflection of how you drive over the long term, like it should be, just an indicator of whether you got blamed for any incidents lately (by a broken blame assignment system).

The problem is a combination of not giving SR down to the right driver(s) and the SR ranges are not big enough, so it's easy to ping-pong up and down the ratings even without changing your driving just depending on the randomness of other drivers causing accidents. The letter you're currently at is absolutely not a reflection of how you drive over the long term, like it should be, just an indicator of whether you got blamed for any incidents lately (by a broken blame assignment system).
The SR system are not appointing blame. It merely tells if you had contact and/or left track.
The penalty system is supposed to assign blame. It's totally worthless in that funktion.

Hello everyone, I did the FIA Nations Cup today, the one at Laguna Seca. I thought I finished 3rd but apparently I got penalty 1 minute so I finished 10th. But just not sure where the penalty come from.

This is my live stream video, please skip to the race part.

Anyway please do not bully my stream lol. I played GT Sport just today and yesterday and not really played Sport mode that often like the pros. Just please point out my mistake here. The only mistake I remember is most likely when entering the pit stop, I did not slow down. But there is supposed to be a penalty notification right?

URL:
https://www.facebook. com/momogamingid/videos/290522485474941/

Last week was the first time in a while a combo caught my eye. Gr3 Panorama...
I did maybe ten races or 12.
Never had one problem on sr starting grid 6-14.
One race tho I did have an idiot swerve blocking me multiple times. He took a pen but I couldn’t get by last lap down Conrad.
Got a run through the chase but he blocked again so I punted him into the wall in the final turn.
No pen for me.
All in all cleanest week I’ve ever had at Panorama.

Hello everyone, I did the FIA Nations Cup today, the one at Laguna Seca. I thought I finished 3rd but apparently I got penalty 1 minute so I finished 10th. But just not sure where the penalty come from.

This is my live stream video, please skip to the race part.

Anyway please do not bully my stream lol. I played GT Sport just today and yesterday and not really played Sport mode that often like the pros. Just please point out my mistake here. The only mistake I remember is most likely when entering the pit stop, I did not slow down. But there is supposed to be a penalty notification right?

URL:
https://www.facebook. com/momogamingid/videos/290522485474941/

You have to use both the medium and hard tyres for this race.

Back