PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Bump drafting is sometimes good for both parties and this stops that
I was thinking that. How much of an SR down would you get from one lap of SSRX in the Ford GT if that was this week's Race A again and the penalty/SR system is working like this?

so kissing the back of the car in front is no longer allowed , yay....
Don't know about that. I kissed a lot of cars racing from the back yesterday at Bathurst and I'm still 99. On the other hand, I have been taken out several times and the perpetrators also finished blue. So, who the **** knows how this system works now, eh? Looks like one thing is certain though: you can't be certain. 😄

Well I don't know what's happening, but I was trying all last week to get back to S and never got anywhere. Maybe it was the bump drafting or maybe I was getting penalised when someone rammed me. I've really no idea, you have a race that seems clean and see red and then the next race you have to punt a guy just to race and your blue. It's a joke, they could at least remove the stupid track limit ones like at Le Mans and the daft one at Bathurst.
Honestly some times you have to think do you pass the slow guy in front and risk him just punting you off or do you do a pre-emptive strike? Not done it myself YET, but I bet some are doing this because the pen system is the worst I've seen it. I'd say it was a joke, but I don't think PD has a sense of humour.

Don't know about that. I kissed a lot of cars racing from the back yesterday at Bathurst and I'm still 99. On the other hand, I have been taken out several times and the perpetrators also finished blue. So, who the **** knows how this system works now, eh? Looks like one thing is certain though: you can't be certain. 😄

Well I don't know what's happening, but I was trying all last week to get back to S and never got anywhere. Maybe it was the bump drafting or maybe I was getting penalised when someone rammed me. I've really no idea, you have a race that seems clean and see red and then the next race you have to punt a guy just to race and your blue. It's a joke, they could at least remove the stupid track limit ones like at Le Mans and the daft one at Bathurst.
Honestly some times you have to think do you pass the slow guy in front and risk him just punting you off or do you do a pre-emptive strike? Not done it myself YET, but I bet some are doing this because the pen system is the worst I've seen it. I'd say it was a joke, but I don't think PD has a sense of humour.
I'm glad it's not just me seeing really weird results with the SR system. So confusing - what was once a clean race is now an SR deduction sometimes. Watching other people's replays and seeing them do pretty much the same thing I did in another race while maintaining a CRB whereas I get hit with SR deductions... :confused:

The penalty system in iRacing is no fault, so almost any contact is an automatic 4x and SR loss for both parties, regardless of how it happened. It’s easier than trying to assign fault at least, but still not perfect. The damage definitely makes you not want to touch other cars too, especially in open wheel cars, they are very fragile lol.

SR seems much harder to gain in iRacing though, and fairly easy to lose. Certain races and series are also locked behind SR Barriers, meaning you have to reach a certain SR license to be eligible for them. Also, your license in iRacing is SR related, not iR(DR), so unlocking the next level of races means being safe more so than fast.

Overall, I like the iRacing system better, so far. Long term testing will tell more as time goes on.

Edit: One other thing, while you may see a lot less of the purposely dirty driving in iRacing, it’s a trade off for more of the overestimating ones own skill level type of driving. It’s harder to get out of the beginner classes than in GTS by quite a bit. Everyone seems to think they are a pro in the lower classes. :lol:
I switched a while ago.

No pun but no looking back. iRacing has consequences and while I was playing GTSport there were no real consequences.

Damage, no ghosting, incentives to maintain or increase SR and difficulties in building SR make for a cleaner online experience. Oh and also VR - that makes for a really great experience.

I agree about the lower splits in iracing - it is good to stay above those. Good example at the moment being Formula Vee - you just have to try and get past the first few corners because normally at mid and lower splits there will be someone who spins out and causes a pile up.

Last edited:
I switched a while ago.

No pun but no looking back. iRacing has consequences and while I was playing GTSport there were no real consequences.

Damage, no ghosting, incentives to maintain or increase SR and difficulties in building SR make for a cleaner online experience. Oh and also VR - that makes for a really great experience.

I agree about the lower splits in iracing - it is good to stay above those. Good example at the moment being Formula Vee - you just have to try and get past the first few corners because normally at mid and lower splits there will be someone who spins out and causes a pile up.
Yup, as long as you start top 3 and make it through the first sector in the Vee, it’s basically free wins until you move up. I still play some GT with friends, but I don’t think I’ll be doing any more Daily/FIA with randoms anymore. I like the iR model better as well, and it lets me use triples, I can’t ever go back to single screen full time after that, it’s almost like cheating to be able to see that much. :lol:

Last edited:
SR seems much harder to gain in iRacing though, and fairly easy to lose. Certain races and series are also locked behind SR Barriers, meaning you have to reach a certain SR license to be eligible for them. Also, your license in iRacing is SR related, not iR(DR), so unlocking the next level of races means being safe more so than fast.

Overall, I like the iRacing system better, so far. Long term testing will tell more as time goes on.
Yes, since SR in iRacing is a moving average of your incidents per corner, you have to drive cleaner than you have in the past over multiple race distances to increase your SR. You can't simply muddle through each race with one big shunt and get to A4.99 like you can get to 99 SR in GTS.

I think PD oughta ape iRacing. iRacing doesn't assign blame for contact, so people who tend to attract contact - whether intentionally or not - get sorted into races with others like them, and clean drivers get sorted into races with more of them. Clearly the fault assignment system PD has in place right now is primitive at best.

Last edited:
I think PD oughta ape iRacing. iRacing doesn't assign blame for contact, so people who tend to attract contact - whether intentionally or not - get sorted into races with others like them, and clean drivers get sorted into races with more of them. Clearly the fault assignment system PD has in place right now is primitive at best.
Sort of - iracing splits by irating (DR) and not SR. But... if you lose SR that excludes you from races with faster cars. Also most people use their real names which I suspect also improves behaviour.

Absolutely agree GTS should copy it though - it works.

A recurring theme on this thread is blame based systems get gamed by gamers.

Last edited:
Shared blame will never happen in GTS, probably not in GT7 either.
Because it would cost the FIA connection, likely also the Olympic connection.
FIA has stated they won't accept shared blame.

Shared blame will never happen in GTS, probably not in GT7 either.
Because it would cost the FIA connection, likely also the Olympic connection.
FIA has stated they won't accept shared blame.
Simple solution is to remove it for FIA races, if we had a decent enough system it wouldn't matter about FIA counting towards it because you'd be racing against people who act about equal with regards to rule breaking. Basically you can never get assigned blame right so you end up with people gaming it and people gets annoyed with it. Shared blame isn't ideal, but would be workable. They would still have to make more changes, like averaging games and/or making progression slower. All they do is alter the severity, when the system needs to be overhauled.

I was on the verge of being Dr A & Sr S.
After less than 10 races at the weekend and constantly being hit from the side or punted from the rear and subsequently now racing with even worse drivers and being hit x10 than before, I am now D E!!! Wtf I even stayed at the black tonight to keep away and a straggler came past dived up inside smashing me out the way and guess what........

That's right I got the big orange bad boy Sr again.

This was ** in the beginning and that was understandable and it even seemed to progress and get better but after the last 2 big updates it's just got worse and is now in my opinion a TOTAL CROCK OF **!!!

I certainly won't be playing this again as the guys I'm with now don't seem to care about the rank and just bump you out the way to win instead of racing! Took me long enough to nearly be A S and now it's ruined due to being rammed from behind and getting a penalty for it.
In what racing league etc does the guy getting rammed from behind ever receive a penalty?????
And when you crash alone or skid of by mistake and lose time off track and positions, they don't give you another penalty do they because you've just had it by loosing enough time crashing!!
THE REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR
MY ASS!!!!

Oh I've got plenty of video footage to put together very shortly to follow this ******** up aswell. Some on you tube already, potterp81 if you want to see.
Agree, B Grade driving is now roulette. Some clean drivers and many who now regard the driver in front as a bumper to make a pass.
A week of clean driving costs 000s of DR. The old system was harsh for the elite, the new is brutal for the majority.

Agree, B Grade driving is now roulette. Some clean drivers and many who now regard the driver in front as a bumper to make a pass.
A week of clean driving costs 000s of DR. The old system was harsh for the elite, the new is brutal for the majority.
Did you just quote the original 3 YEARS OLD post? Really shows how much PD have improved their "penalty system" since the release, doesn't it? 😅 This week at Bathurst I've had races where I expected to end up reset afterwards and finished blue. And then I've had races where basically nothing happened and I dropped several SR ranks. It's absolutely hilariously bad. 😅

There’s a server maintenance coming on 3 Aug, so maybe they’ll at least at least reinstate punt and brake check penalties. Driving standards for Sardegna B Manufacturers was shambolic.

So they removed penalties for hitting other cars all together? Only SR at the end of the race is affected, at least in race B.

So they removed penalties for hitting other cars all together? Only SR at the end of the race is affected, at least in race B.
Yeah, sure looks like they have. I have not seen any other than track limit penalties in race C as well this week. Plenty of red SRs after the races though. I guess that's the way it's going to be from now on. It's still not good (and heavily exploited by gamers) but at least you can't have your race ruined by an unfair penalty.

Yeah, sure looks like they have. I have not seen any other than track limit penalties in race C as well this week. Plenty of red SRs after the races though. I guess that's the way it's going to be from now on. It's still not good (and heavily exploited by gamers) but at least you can't have your race ruined by an unfair penalty.
Yeah...the huge downside as you said is that it's heavily exploited. The worst case now is Race B with rain. Once you get pushed on the wet grass it is impossible to recuperate.
If that's what's gonna be from now on, I won't play online in GT7 that's for sure. But I think PD are just testing things with GTS.

Last edited:
Is this removal of collision penalties a new thing? I played the last two days for the first time in months, and am kind of shocked at this news. I get that those penalties can be annoying, but it's just anarchy as soon as someone gets pissed off and decides to take matters into their own hands, and doesn't suffer any consequences for it. I think I would rather have an overly strict system than none at all, at least in SR S lobbies.

Penalty system should be better. But another feature that could help is focused replays.

If all contact made during a race was instantly saved and players were made to view them at the end of a race people can learn from them. Now, people just blame others without reviewing the play and learn nothing.

It's utter garbage. This from an FIA A/S lobby this past weekend. The perp got a red "S" but that's it. One race later he was back to 99 SR. Basically unplayable anymore, for me at least.

He does get reset from time to time, I think. I saw him (and had incidents) a few weeks ago mid B.

I cannot get off SRS to save my life. I mean I am usually careful but in the past, accidental contact had me re-set some 7 times in 100 races and now I cannot get down from SRS no matter what mayhem I am involved in.

I hit A sr last night on c race had to do 2 more to recover 99.
I was behind a guy chasing a known cretin who was swerving all the way down Conrod so the guy couldn’t pass…
I got stacked up behind in the chase and went left but they were 2 wide so I tried for the hero move using the grass on the right.
I took out the swerver when I returned to tarmac.
The players behind saw only what I did and so they started in on me then the guy I hit off overtook turn 1 as I was shunted off.
Now I was really angry.

I rammed the swerver at griffins then again at the cutting.
I got through all the chaos and was free down Conrod except for one guy behind.
He witnessed all my carnage.
He started in with punt attempt at the chase but I survived.
He tried again and again until he managed to put me a little off turn 1.
I responded to getting overtaken again by ramming full speed forests elbow then composing myself and ramming myself into walks in last before getting timed out.
I went to sr A for all this mayhem which in all honesty should have been a reset from 43k to 15 and sr downgrade to maybe c or d.
After two races back at 99.
It can be done-being below 90, but it takes some doing.
I fear that c race is going to get very ugly as this week goes on.
Monday was great, there were true sportsmen out in force-last night not so much.
The system is what it is-a non issue you just gotta race and hope for the best.
There’s good races sometimes in the top lobbies…

Back