Penalty Zones Coming to GT Sport's FIA and Daily Races

I think it sounds like a good idea. I cannot be the only one to have experienced other drivers taking penalties in weird places on track and then deliberately unghosting so that you end up smashing into them. At least this way, you will be able to see the fact they have a penalty and you know when they will slow down.

From the article:

"However, while you are ghosted and clearing a Time Penalty issued to your car, make sure to drive off of the standard racing line to get out of the way of other cars approaching from behind. Not doing so can result in your car losing the 'ghost' status and reappearing in front of a car approaching rapidly from behind, causing further collisions and incidents on the track at your fault."

I really hope this means that if you do not attempt to move over out of the driving line and cause further damage, YOU will be the one getting the penalty and not the other driver(s) who get caught up in the mess. I guess we'll see how it works out.

Keith.

“The official release states that if another car strikes you from behind as a result of unghosting from serving the penalty, the game will deem the incidents to be your fault…”

I can feel this headache already ugh... It's obviously going to happen at least on occasion when a driver moves too late and just clips you, and that's not right.

Racing is not for everyone. And GTPlanet has the worst drivers in the world. This problem will never disappear. We do not have this problem in RaceRoom and Assetto Corsa rFactor Iracing. Strange that this is a problem in GT Sport. As I have said before, it's not the game's problem, but the drivers who can not drive a car. Thas it!

5 sport mode races entered, 1 finished. You are the expert to determine who's bad and who’s not.

I think it sounds like a good idea. I cannot be the only one to have experienced other drivers taking penalties in weird places on track and then deliberately unghosting so that you end up smashing into them. At least this way, you will be able to see the fact they have a penalty and you know when they will slow down.

Race C has been awful this week for players to clear penalties quickly by getting into the slipstream and using it to gain time to lose time.

Can’t wait for this, I’ve been looking forward to this being rolled out more than the “monthly” updates.

Last edited:
"While your car will ghost for the duration of your slow down, Polyphony Digital advises that you should also get off the racing line."

I know this isn't a rule but as a responsible driver with a penalty i would turn on the hazard lights before getting to the penalty zone so the car behind knows i'm going to serve a penalty,finally some good use for the hazard lights.

I know this isn't a rule but as a responsible driver with a penalty i would turn on the hazard lights before getting to the penalty zone so the car behind knows i'm going to serve a penalty,finally some good use for the hazard lights.
In the Finals events there has been a yellow bar above the car, below the red penalty duration notification, that fills as the car approaches the Penalty Line to alert drivers behind that the car is about to serve a penalty.

But yes, I agree.

"According to Polyphony Digital, the system will also appear in Daily Races"....
Weekly!

Weekly Dailies

In the Finals events there has been a yellow bar above the car, below the red penalty duration notification, that fills as the car approaches the Penalty Line to alert drivers behind that the car is about to serve a penalty.

But yes, I agree.

Every warning measure counts against punting drivers. :lol:

Why can’t they just make penalties add up at the end or force a drive through or stop and go if it’s too high. Just makes it less realistic again. It’s a game but still...

I think it's about multiplayer balance,if the penalty is served on track the driver still has a chance to fight,if the penalty gets added in the end that takes the chance away from the driver.The penalty zones aren't perfect but they are have a nice balance to them,you will lose time but you can prepare for it(driving harder before hitting the penalty zone so you can compensate for the time you're about to lose)

Why even let players shave off their penalties? You don't see Max Verstappen slowing down on track to get rid of 5 seconds in F1, it's just added to the final time.

Having cars slow down will always introduce danger to other drivers and force the need for otherwise pointless systems like this that we now have to be aware of.

This exactly. But I'm afraid too many won't adjust to it easily. Might scare too many players away but that's how it's done and how it should be in the game as well imoho.

I think it's about multiplayer balance,if the penalty is served on track the driver still has a chance to fight,if the penalty gets added in the end that takes the chance away from the driver.The penalty zones aren't perfect but they are have a nice balance to them,you will lose time but you can prepare for it(driving harder before hitting the penalty zone so you can compensate for the time you're about to lose)

Also serves to get the Asshats out of the way since as said earlier some drivers will just save them up and continue to be in your way despite the fact they have no chance of winning based on current penalties. In real life this is not as much of an issue but with racing games it's great as serves to get the crap drivers out of your way sooner. Great idea really.

I think the system only needs a small tweak to work...

The penalty is only served if the car moves off the racing line, out of the way of other drivers. And draconian extra penalty time if the driver doesn't.

But the improvement even as is is really a great idea. I have long held that slowdowns performed by the driver where and when they choose to only encourages 'gaming' the system.

For cry out.. Its about time they had modification the penalty rules. So hopeful its bring out fairness to all. Hey dirty player eat this and dont cried ..LOL

I'll be honest, I hate this. There is so much auto-drive in Sport Mode already. This is hand holding and we don't need it. i would much prefer to be forced to carry your penalty to the end of the race. Burning it off mid-lap was a terrible idea to begin with and does nothing but cause accidents.

I don't agree. I've seen so much terrible unsportsmanlike driving by drivers trying to scrub their timed penalty while doing the maximum to impede the car behind, this can only be an improvement...

And carrying the penalty to the end tends to induce poor sportsmanship impeding or even punting out the car that would come ahead of you when your penalty is served.

I think this system should only be used on races with no pitstop. Serving the timed penalty in the pits is the best way, the REAL way, the most sportsmanlike way...

I think the system only needs a small tweak to work...

The penalty is only served if the car moves off the racing line, out of the way of other drivers. And draconian extra penalty time if the driver doesn't.

But the improvement even as is is really a great idea. I have long held that slowdowns performed by the driver where and when they choose to only encourages 'gaming' the system.

Read the article again, please.

It works regardless of whether you leave the racing line or not.

Racing is not for everyone. And GTPlanet has the worst drivers in the world. This problem will never disappear. We do not have this problem in RaceRoom and Assetto Corsa rFactor Iracing. Strange that this is a problem in GT Sport. As I have said before, it's not the game's problem, but the drivers who can not drive a car. Thas it!

It's almost as if those games/sims don't target casual gamers like Gran Turismo does, and hence has a higher percentage of serious players, but less players in total.

Also, the expensive content fees of iRacing further limits their playerbase to serious racers. Hence, cleaner races generally. It has nothing to do with particular communities. It is just that you cannot compare the games as you are comparing PC Games (well, I assume you are referring to AC on PC too) to a console game that is easily playable with a controller, unlike some of your examples, which many would say require a wheel and hence more serious players. Grow up.

Hmm....I don't know....I guess that's a good alternative. Let's see how that works out! After all, it just shows that they are aware that there's a problem with the whole system.

Though I have to ask, wasn't the issue with the penalty system about how it was given and not necessarily how it was served? I mean, if one doesn't serve their penalty during the race, it gets added to your overall time anyway.

I think GTS will become more balanced in terms of penalties because now its a bit unfair to serve it just before finish line. After this change its gonna be a real thing! I totally agree!

Read the article again, please.

It works regardless of whether you leave the racing line or not.

Exactly. There is already massive concern over unghosting cars and solid cars coming together. Serving this only well off the racing line would remove much of this concern.

Not bad, but I think pit through is better.
I once picked up a 0.366s penalty (don't ask, don't know) after being poinked off the inside of Club Corners at Dragon Trail Gardens and exceeding track limits by about a pixel for a car length. If I'd been forced to serve a 20s drive-through for that, I'd have put the car that nudged me into the wall before the end of the lap.

Hopefully the system ghosts your car before it applies the brakes so people don't run the risk of clipping someone serving their penalty.

Hopefully the system ghosts your car before it applies the brakes so people don't run the risk of clipping someone serving their penalty.

Which is why serving it off line ONLY should be added. Drivers not serving a penalty would know to stay left, drivers needing to scrub the penalty should move right before the penalty is applied. If they don't, it would have to be served in the next area, with an extra penalty added for not moving over...

Latest Posts

Back