Penalty Zones Coming to GT Sport's FIA and Daily Races

I think it's about multiplayer balance,if the penalty is served on track the driver still has a chance to fight,if the penalty gets added in the end that takes the chance away from the driver.The penalty zones aren't perfect but they are have a nice balance to them,you will lose time but you can prepare for it(driving harder before hitting the penalty zone so you can compensate for the time you're about to lose)

Just feels like the arcadification of circuits. We’ll see. I hope AI gets much better for the next game so they can have a better penalty system

They really need to fix receiving a penalty for being hit by someone from behind, otherwise this system is just going to be infuriating.

Issue I can see is two drivers with penalties battling each other, they'll ghost together then unghost and most likely just being a moving roadblock to any car coming from behind.

“The official release states that if another car strikes you from behind as a result of unghosting from serving the penalty, the game will deem the incidents to be your fault…”

👍

I was afraid this new penalty system would result in people blocking others on the racing line in the multiplayer.
I thought I read it to sayifyourin the driving line when you unghost you get the penalty?

They really need to fix receiving a penalty for being hit by someone from behind, otherwise this system is just going to be infuriating.

Issue I can see is two drivers with penalties battling each other, they'll ghost together then unghost and most likely just being a moving roadblock to any car coming from behind.

Today, a player with penalties can already ghost and unghost just as you come up behind them gifting you a penalty and giving them a boost anywhere on track. If after the update the game enforces this at one place on track thats better than having to deal with this anywhere.

If players are dead set on "looking bad" you're forwarned now and presumably ready to take avoiding action whenever you enter the twilight zone.

Penalties for being rear ended already happen in game and I hope this update doesn't make them worse.

Which is why serving it off line ONLY should be added. Drivers not serving a penalty would know to stay left, drivers needing to scrub the penalty should move right before the penalty is applied. If they don't, it would have to be served in the next area, with an extra penalty added for not moving over...

As mentioned earlier in this thread, and as shown in all the Finals races the past few weeks, the driver with a penalty still has the time shown above their car, and well, well before they approach the slow down zone, there is a yellow countdown bar also above the car, telling everyone around that car that they will be slowing down as they enter the penalty area. This bar looks like it shows up at least 4 or 5 corners before the slow down begins.

There really is no excuse to then be anywhere near the penalised driver as their is enough of a warning as to what is about to happen!

I for one am looking forward to this new addition to the game. It certainly seemed to work during the trials.

Nice, this might change things a little. I’m fed of people carrying penalties all the way to the end and scrubbing them off shortly before the finish line.
I also hope this means you can’t make a lap count in qualifying if you have gained a penalty.

It’s a nice step forward, but I would rather they forced people to serve the penalty in the pits. Or carry it until the end and add it to the total race time.

This change is still way better than what we have now. But I’m sure quite a few dickheads will park their car on the race line and surprise the cars behind when they are unghosting at low speeds, then they will come here and complain about bad drivers hitting them.

Last edited:
...they do need to sort out penalties first... Yesterday I got like 4sec penalty, I was on driving line on Mercedes Arena - NurbGT, and guy made a uber lunge from 3 places behind end punned me off... we both drifted a bit, but at the end, he passed me and I got penalty... Stupid... What's even worse, I overtook him like half a lap later, where he hit another guy out of the track, yet again, no penalty for him... Now I can imagine on speedy part of the track, game automatically slows me down, and I even loose more time because of some idiot in game... and of course game not making good decisions...

Cheers...

Really like the sound of this. However "if another car strikes you from behind as a result of unghosting from serving the penalty, the game will deem the incidents to be your fault" sounds like it has potential to be abused. You'd have to be a petty racer to deliberately hit someone unghosting as you'd kill your own momentum, but there are petty drivers out there!

Still sounds like an overall improvement of the system. I'm look forward to seeing how this works out.

Agreed, but any system will have its abusers or "petty" drivers. I really like the sound of this change. Well done, Polyphony.

...they do need to sort out penalties first... Yesterday I got like 4sec penalty, I was on driving line on Mercedes Arena - NurbGT, and guy made a uber lunge from 3 places behind end punned me off... we both drifted a bit, but at the end, he passed me and I got penalty... Stupid... What's even worse, I overtook him like half a lap later, where he hit another guy out of the track, yet again, no penalty for him... Now I can imagine on speedy part of the track, game automatically slows me down, and I even loose more time because of some idiot in game... and of course game not making good decisions...

Cheers...

Your SR rank is what’s hurting you the most.

Honestly should be just like the missions in gran turismo 4 where your gas pedal was disabled for some time then you could get back on it. It's the only fair way for those that abuse the game.
Honestly I dont think this would work. That system was so exploitable, as depending on where you are on track you could make the penalty almost compleyely negligable. For example you could just use the lead car as your brakes right before a tight series of slow corner and you would utterly ruin their day whilst maybe losing half a second on your lap time for it.

Honestly I dont think this would work. That system was so exploitable, as depending on where you are on track you could make the penalty almost compleyely negligable. For example you could just use the lead car as your brakes right before a tight series of slow corner and you would utterly ruin their day whilst maybe losing half a second on your lap time for it.
Gt sport doesn't let you wipe penalties away by cutting corners it gives them to you even more, and it resets you to the track if you go too far outside of the edges of the track in most tracks. In gt4 sure enough they were exploitable, but In gt sport it wouldn't work the same.

Gt sport doesn't let you wipe penalties away by cutting corners it gives them to you even more, and it resets you to the track if you go too far outside of the edges of the track in most tracks. In gt4 sure enough they were exploitable, but In gt sport it wouldn't work the same.
You didnt have to cut corners to make the penalty negligable, at all.

I do agree though, it wouldnt be quite as exploitable as it was in GT4, but I highly doubt it would be any less exploitable than the current system is.

Why can’t they just make penalties add up at the end or force a drive through or stop and go if it’s too high. Just makes it less realistic again. It’s a game but still...

I was in favour of penalties being permanent, but I can see the wisdom in this design choice. By forcing a driver to serve a penalty almost immediately, it changes the track position of cars. A car my fall several places because of this change, thereby changing the outcome far more than if the penalty was served at the end.

We've all done carried penalties to the line and then slammed the brakes to get rid of them. By doing so, we've allowed ourselves the time to build up enough gap to a following car or have the race play out in our favour. What happens now is that a fast driver might get a 4 second penalty, but be able to pull out a 5 second lead. Now, with this new system, that driver has to work their way through the field.

I would like to see some tweaks still, especially with the brake check penalties. At LeMans, I've been run into at the chicanes by overly aggressive drivers and then received 4 seconds for a brake check, even though I wasn't on the brakes and running a decent lap time.

Forcing people to take their penalties in a particular spot is great, as it makes things a bit more predictable. Having people serve penalties where ever can cause more issues, as you just don't know when they're going to do it.

I once picked up a 0.366s penalty (don't ask, don't know) after being poinked off the inside of Club Corners at Dragon Trail Gardens and exceeding track limits by about a pixel for a car length. If I'd been forced to serve a 20s drive-through for that, I'd have put the car that nudged me into the wall before the end of the lap.

I believe we all players will learn to avoid contact whatever the situation. :D

I was in favour of penalties being permanent, but I can see the wisdom in this design choice. By forcing a driver to serve a penalty almost immediately, it changes the track position of cars. A car my fall several places because of this change, thereby changing the outcome far more than if the penalty was served at the end.

We've all done carried penalties to the line and then slammed the brakes to get rid of them. By doing so, we've allowed ourselves the time to build up enough gap to a following car or have the race play out in our favour. What happens now is that a fast driver might get a 4 second penalty, but be able to pull out a 5 second lead. Now, with this new system, that driver has to work their way through the field.

I would like to see some tweaks still, especially with the brake check penalties. At LeMans, I've been run into at the chicanes by overly aggressive drivers and then received 4 seconds for a brake check, even though I wasn't on the brakes and running a decent lap time.

And what happens when faster drivers work their way through the field? More incidents and more penalties.

Let’s see how the system works. We’ve only seen it once.

I'm pretty sure they've tested this thoroughly internally. Looking forward to it as this should stop people from purposely smashing me from behind to run me off the track. Sucks when that
happens and it ruins the entire race for me.

More incidents and more penalties.

Which will mean more slowing in slow down zones, it will be learned fast that its quicker to avoid penalties because,

1. It’s slower to be forced to slow down in zones.
  2. The chance of ending up in traffic, especially slower traffic will hurt DR finishing positions.
  3. The slow down zones will make you susceptible to overtaking if like in regionals they are placed at the beginning of straights, your going to be slower at the end.
  4. I expect more to actively avoid penalties which means theres no longer keeping your foot on it everywhere, track limits will be worried about.

love this news, great addition to the game. Hopefully it will clean things up a bit more. I will admit, I have won a few races both by using the finish line brake strategy and passing others who also use it, pretty common I think.

I left Sport Mode and FIA races sometime ago in favor of more clean and respectful racing found in organized lobby races. Who knows if this new system will be a huge success overall but it appears to be a step in a better direction and possibly could start to bring back players who have left Sport Mode in favor of better racing elsewhere.
At the same time I hope to see this added into lobby races later on.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, and as shown in all the Finals races the past few weeks, the driver with a penalty still has the time shown above their car, and well, well before they approach the slow down zone, there is a yellow countdown bar also above the car, telling everyone around that car that they will be slowing down as they enter the penalty area. This bar looks like it shows up at least 4 or 5 corners before the slow down begins.

There really is no excuse to then be anywhere near the penalised driver as their is enough of a warning as to what is about to happen!

I for one am looking forward to this new addition to the game. It certainly seemed to work during the trials.

The problem is trying to judge the effectiveness of a feature when it is being used by the most responsible, best, most racecraft aware drivers. And not being overly concerned about how it COULD be abused by the worst, most unsportsmanlike trolls in the game!

Not being near a car is not just a function of your choice of line. We still have no mechanism to detect and punish weaving by leading cars. I am concerned by how doing this by a driver knowing he is about to serve a penalty could troll the car behind by brake checking him into contact before the penalty is served. Forcing the penalized car into a specific side of the track or the penalty doesn't get served (and an additional penalty is added) could serve two purposes...

Force the leading car into a line that the trailing car KNOWS he can avoid, and also, remove the need for ghosting altogether, which is going to be a realism breaking aspect of the game.

If this type of thing were considered by a real racing series (on-track slowdowns in specific zones), you can bet the house that designated track areas would be required. Just as pit in and out zones are now enforced, an area that other drivers know they should stay away from because slower cars will be in them would be added.

I like the automatic cut in speed (bit like the Virtual Safety Car), but I'm not a big fan of ghosting. Restricting the penalty area to one side of the track only would do away with the need to ghost at all.

Last edited:
Not being near a car is not just a function of your choice of line. We still have no mechanism to detect and punish weaving by leading cars. I am concerned by how doing this by a driver knowing he is about to serve a penalty could troll the car behind by brake checking him into contact before the penalty is served.

This already happens with the current system,no driver stays behind someone with a penalty right before the finish line,people know,i don't think that is going to be a big problem with the system.

What they need to do is make sure the penalty zones aren't in a awkward position of the track,no one wants a penalty zone right after the exit of a corner that could cause a traffic jam if the corner is too tight.

Latest Posts

Back