Penso's Garage - Renault Clio Cup SMS-R Championship Tune now live

Made the mistake of watching a replay and it crashed the game:ouch::mad: Wasn't as diligent with the save as I should have been and lost some tuning work:yuck: Had a good go with the Ariel Atom S/C at Laguna (what a blast this car is!) and lost all that work as well. Might not get back at it until I get back after a couple of days away starting tomorrow night.

How did you find the BMW? Neutral, over or understeery? I should have mentioned I've been doing most of my braking in a straight line in Project Cars so far and it affects how I tune as well.

Ariel%2BAtom%2BSupercharged%2Bbannerexp.jpg

Tried your McLaren tune at Spa works very well there (with trani, aero, and break duct adjustments to suit the track) and enjoyed racing the car. Are you going to do any prototype tunes? like for the R18 or any of the LMP2?

Hi! Do you think that your McLaren 12C could run well on tracks with more straights like Bathurst or Spa?

And in more rugged tracks, would you do too many changes on the suspension etc or u think that this tune could work as well?

Sorry for ask but I suck to make these adjustments.

Last edited:
Yes sir I am :) waiting for my wheel to come in cause I had a G27. Same name, so send me a FR if you wish!
I'm on pc. You're on PS4 I assume?

Hi! Do you think that your McLaren 12C could run well on tracks with more straights like Bathurst or Spa?

And in more rugged tracks, would you do too many changes on the suspension etc or u think that this tune could work as well?

Sorry for ask but I suck to make these adjustments.
I mostly tune by feel, looking for balance and predictability when cornering and dealing with track specific issues when they come up. The McLaren was fantastic out of the box with the stock tune at Brands Hatch so I think it will do well anywhere with the stock tune and some minor tweaking. Best thing to do is just try the car at any track with my tune or the stock tune and adjust the transmission as necessary and see what happens.

Hockenheim National
German Touring Car Legend Celebration Event

190EBanner.jpg
Thought I'd take a crack at this event before it closes. Had a tough time with the car and it could still use some work. Got down to 1:30.244 which is the 8th fastest legit (as far as I can tell) time, but second overall of those using no ABS/TC/Autoclutch. The overrun at Turn 1 and and the right hander after Mercedes is in play and if you want a top time you must use them. I dropped quite a bit of time after I adjusted the rear dampers to be better over the low speed bumps so I could get the power down earlier and smoother, especially out of Turn 2, the double right hander after Parabolica and the exit of Sachs although you still have to be careful exiting those corners. Trust the LSD to bring the back end around on hard acceleration if you hit the corner exits just right. A video will be up by morning hopefully. Enjoy:cheers:

Tuningpage.jpg

upload_2015-6-2_23-37-57.png

upload_2015-6-2_23-40-9.png

Last edited:
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Ariel%2BAtom%2BSupercharged%2Bbanner.jpg
Sounds like I've been playing this game for years, but this was the car I used the most to get a feel for the physics and FFB in Project Cars. The stock setup is wonderful. Oversteer on command from the throttle or the flick of the wheel. Tremendous fun for hooning, but not so fast for hotlapping in my hands because while you're sideways you aren't accelerating quite as quickly as you could be. This tightens up the stock setup somewhat to let you get the power down more consistently and smoothly but it's still quite oversteery when you want it to be or if you overcook it on entry. Tuned without aids. I will try this at a couple of different tracks because it's probably quite adoptable to varying conditions. 2nd on the pc leaderboard so far with a 1:30.144.

LagunaMainSettings.jpg

LagunaRestSettings.JPG

LagunaTTBoard.jpg

Last edited:
Johnny great work with the 190E Tune ;) I was on a 1.33.1xx and got down to a 1.32.103 and I think i can get a under 32 time. ;)

I must say that I play with the DS4 and the tune works very very well indeed! ;)

Keep it up! :)

Johnny great work with the 190E Tune ;) I was on a 1.33.1xx and got down to a 1.32.103 and I think i can get a under 32 time. ;)

I must say that I play with the DS4 and the tune works very very well indeed! ;)

Keep it up! :)
Thanks for the feedback and glad to see it's working for you:tup:. I have wondered how well the tunes would transfer to the pad, good to hear that it works well in your case:)

Thanks for the feedback and glad to see it's working for you:tup:. I have wondered how well the tunes would transfer to the pad, good to hear that it works well in your case:)

I got even further and went 81th :D 1.31.076 ;)

As soon as the community event ends i'll try the ATOM and give some feedback ;)

I got even further and went 81th :D 1.31.076 ;)

As soon as the community event ends i'll try the ATOM and give some feedback ;)
That's outstanding with the pad...well done:tup:👍

Coming later today, BMW 1-Series M Coupe at Oschersleben, 1:43.397 (2.5s up on 2nd) and featuring Murray Walker:lol:, Booker T. and the MG's:D and instructional pop up driving guides:).

Hockenheim National
German Touring Car Legend Celebration Event

190EBanner.jpg
Thought I'd take a crack at this event before it closes. Had a tough time with the car and it could still use some work. Got down to 1:30.244 which is the 8th fastest legit (as far as I can tell) time, but second overall of those using no ABS/TC/Autoclutch. The overrun at Turn 1 and and the right hander after Mercedes is in play and if you want a top time you must use them. I dropped quite a bit of time after I adjusted the rear dampers to be better over the low speed bumps so I could get the power down earlier and smoother, especially out of Turn 2, the double right hander after Parabolica and the exit of Sachs although you still have to be careful exiting those corners. Trust the LSD to bring the back end around on hard acceleration if you hit the corner exits just right. A video will be up by morning hopefully. Enjoy:cheers:

View attachment 382075
View attachment 382076

Gave this a quick go before it ended but never managed to pull off a lap without any big mistakes. Seems to have a bit too much power understeer but apart from that felt much faster than stock. Didn't run wide on corners you mentioned but managed to get first page of leaderboard and slightly ahead of you ;).

Gave this a quick go before it ended but never managed to pull off a lap without any big mistakes. Seems to have a bit too much power understeer but apart from that felt much faster than stock. Didn't run wide on corners you mentioned but managed to get first page of leaderboard and slightly ahead of you ;).
Nicely done:tup: Would you adjust the front dampers to take out the power on understeer?

Nicely done:tup: Would you adjust the front dampers to take out the power on understeer?
Thanks for the tip, don't know much about tuning so will have mess around one day and see if I can get better car balance in different cars changing these settings as I usually run stock settings. Seems to make a lot of difference 👍.

SMS-R Touring at Oulton Park
Round 6/18 of the SMS-R Driver Network Championship

Renault%2BClio%2BCup.jpg
After trying to figure out how to tune this car for an hour I wanted to punch myself in the face:ouch:. I had no trouble fixing the crazy oversteer, but a ton of trouble with the front left overheating and trouble going fast. For an hour or more I was stuck in the low 1:50's but after monkeying around with the LSD to get a better jump out of the corners, the sway bars to make the car more responsive in the chicanes, and smoothing out my technique, it finally came together. I still can't get the left front under 100C for too long without torpedoing the tune and seeing as how this is a hotlap competition, I left it the way it was and you get one or two good laps out of it before the left front overheats. Be prepared for some restarts!

I did use the paddles for this one although I think the car comes with a shifter. ABS and TC are off but you can use a lot of brake pressure before locking up the wheels when braking in a straight line. Trailing throttle in the sweepers for smooth entry is one of the keys to speed. The exit to the first chicane was also very challenging for me and it took me a while to figure out the combination of brake/turn/throttle to smooth it out. I followed a couple of the lead ghosts and they seem legit. They carry more speed through the fast corners than I do, but I can't figure out how they do it:boggled::bowdown:. Ultimately I ended up with a 1:48.988 for 9th place, but a full two seconds back:ill:

ClioOultonBaseTune.jpg

SMSOutltonParkCliotune.jpg

SMSOultonParkresult.jpg

Last edited:
That Clio tune is great, I was stuck at 1:50.4 with my own tune and within 5 laps using your tune had got into the 1:49s and managed to just steal the top controller position on PC.

Just the camber and toe settings alone felt like I'd gone from soft to super soft tyres, I could carry so much more speed through the corners. :bowdown:

Johnnypenso you devil, I didn't know you were releasing PCars tunes already.:P

Do you have any feedback as to how your PC tunes cross over to the PS4?

I just this evening found a controller setting that takes some of the jitter out of the PS4 controller. I also found that at least for me, I have to make the suspension adjustments as neutral as I can to avoid any sketchy steering.
Going to test to see if it applies to the PC as well.

I've also found (daaa) that warm tires make a lot of things better.

For now with a controller over steer is the enemy. At least for my no driving self.
I'll be checking out your tunes for sure.

Johnnypenso you devil, I didn't know you were releasing PCars tunes already.:P

I just this evening found a controller setting that takes some of the jitter out of the PS4 controller. I also found that at least for me, I have to make the suspension adjustments as neutral as I can to avoid any sketchy steering.
Going to test to see if it applies to the PC as well.

I've also found (daaa) that warm tires make a lot of things better.

For now with a controller over steer is the enemy. At least for my no driving self.
I'll be checking out your tunes for sure.
I'm enjoying the tuning so far, everything seems to work as advertised, but it's tough to juggle all the adjustments to get the right combination that's for sure. Hopefully something works for you or can at least be a starting point:tup:

@Im_Lukas is on pc but using a controller, not sure how it translates to PS4, but he's nearly pipped me in the Clio at Oulton Park, and if I'm reading the leaderboard right he's not using ABS either. @bypo is on the DS4 and got to 81st in the Merc SMS event so it seems like there is some hope for tunes working well on both input devices.

Can safely say that these tunes work well on the PS4 and DS4, so long as you have a good setup on your pad, default just won't cut it at the moment.
I've posted a video of myself running JP's Z4 GT3 tune in the video thread, only thing I did was to soften the spring rate a little and drop the steering rack a bit to suit my personal preference.

Johnny sorry for the delay on the feedback about the Ariel but i did not had the time untill today! I'll report later about it... ;) I played with the default setup on the other day and it was crazy... At least on the DS4 it was just crazy and weird for me. Let's see what you have done! ;)

I think it's extremely important to have a good DS4 setup before you can really judge the tunes but for me they work REALLY well... ;) The 190 EVO tune helped me a lot for example...

I am not going to be around as much in the next 2-3 weeks. Between work and people staying at the house it's going to be tough to squeeze in more than an hour here or there and I'll probably reserve that for tossing cars around in the SMS events and just fun driving. I'll keep an eye on the thread of course but probably won't post any tunes for a bit.

Johnny, I have found a proper setup for my DS4 controller. It took Saturday and Sunday. But I can really say that I can drive any car well without fine tuning that I hope you'll be providing when you can. I would like to post my remarks as settings here in hopes that it helps folks be able to use the DS4 without the yips. Let me know if you thinks its OK.

@Johnnypenso The Atom's really good! With default settings I didn't manage to get a clean fast lap on Laguna Seca (a track that I HATE xD). When it went loose I never could get it back... Understeered into oversteer sometimes... What a PIG! xD

Now it's more refined, has some understeer on corner entry but it's safer that way and the little power-oversteer is playful... I like it! ;)

I tried the Clio tune but somehow it did not felt great... I've to check if I did something wrong when applying your setup.

Keep it up when you can! ;)

Johnny, I have found a proper setup for my DS4 controller. It took Saturday and Sunday. But I can really say that I can drive any car well without fine tuning that I hope you'll be providing when you can. I would like to post my remarks as settings here in hopes that it helps folks be able to use the DS4 without the yips. Let me know if you thinks its OK.
Sure go ahead, anything that helps and people find useful is welcome. If you want to post some specific changes to tunes for DS4 users that's fine too. I'll link it in the second post too.

Back