[PETITION] Make Gran Turismo 7 available to play offline.

GT7 losing nothing from GT Sport is going to shut it down even faster. It’s worse than all the games before it.
At least there are 1000 cars in previous games. Plus, the legacy tracks, Pike’s Peak in GT2, racing modifications in most games, good graphics and racing in GT3. Why bother finishing GTS when GT7 will have everything and features GTS should have come with?

GT7 losing nothing from GT Sport is going to shut it down even faster.
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if GTS got shut down within the month of GT7's release. And that's mainly because yeah, GT7 is basically subsuming most of GTS' content (probably because it was used as the base) so there's absolutely no reason to keep the servers active.

Though that raises a good point that I have not seen mentioned with regards to the livery editor: what happens to liveries and especially logos that people have made or transferred into the game? Are people allowed to transfer them over to GT7? Because Forza allows you to do just that - even going as far back as FM5 if you have the game on the same Xbox Live account. Because if they aren't going to allow the ability to transfer liveries and logos...boy, you just pissed off one large community faster then the word go.

Pike’s Peak in GT2
Eternal reminder that Polyphony, I'm pretty confident in saying, only picked up the license to use Pikes Peak branding, and the course, and made it exclusive just so that no one else could use it. The fact that they have been sitting on it for years now, and have not even done one bit of work to bring it into the games themselves should have more play.

Eternal reminder that Polyphony, I'm pretty confident in saying, only picked up the license to use Pikes Peak branding, and the course, and made it exclusive just so that no one else could use it. The fact that they have been sitting on it for years now, and have not even done one bit of work to bring it into the games themselves should have more play.
It's brutal that it's not going to better use. Gran Turismo as a game would be a great home for it, especially if they allowed you to run it both up and down. And now that it's all tarmac we wouldn't necessarily have to deal with GT's ropey dirt physics.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if GTS got shut down within the month of GT7's release. And that's mainly because yeah, GT7 is basically subsuming most of GTS' content (probably because it was used as the base) so there's absolutely no reason to keep the servers active.

Though that raises a good point that I have not seen mentioned with regards to the livery editor: what happens to liveries and especially logos that people have made or transferred into the game? Are people allowed to transfer them over to GT7? Because Forza allows you to do just that - even going as far back as FM5 if you have the game on the same Xbox Live account. Because if they aren't going to allow the ability to transfer liveries and logos...boy, you just pissed off one large community faster then the word go.

Of course I don’t know and I’m going to type bs, but I’ll say we can’t carryover liveries. It’s probably not logical to type it. Maybe the granturismo.com site keep the Discovery section open, but again, I don’t know how it works. Kaz wants everyone to start from scratch. Is it fair to have all these liveries in your collection and new players don’t? Is that Kaz’ logic? Will that work?
For one, the liveries probably won’t be editable. Tweaks to colors, decals, etc. might not be rendered for some players. Many unknown details at the moment.

Maybe someone can help PPIHC find another sponsor who is richer and more generous?
Seems tough. Who else is going to want it badly enough to pay more? None of the serious rally games are particularly high budget, they don't have the cash to compete with Polyphony and Sony's marketing budget. Forza has money, but seems unlikely to want it in either Motorsport or Horizon. Most of the hard sims are relatively small devs. Need for Speed won't care enough to spend money on it.

Who else is there? If Polyphony wants to sit on the track and deny it to everyone else, they have the ability to do that and there's not much anyone can do to stop them.

Seems tough. Who else is going to want it badly enough to pay more? None of the serious rally games are particularly high budget, they don't have the cash to compete with Polyphony and Sony's marketing budget. Forza has money, but seems unlikely to want it in either Motorsport or Horizon. Most of the hard sims are relatively small devs. Need for Speed won't care enough to spend money on it.

Who else is there? If Polyphony wants to sit on the track and deny it to everyone else, they have the ability to do that and there's not much anyone can do to stop them.
It's a shame racing games and stuff like this are still too niche to attract enough widespread media attention. If it were a bigger genre and had the usual outlets writing articles about it that would at least put a bit of pressure on Sony and PP to do something. I mean who knows, maybe it is coming for GT7 at some point, but we should at least get some sort of information on the matter. I bet most GT players don't have any idea they old the exclusive license.

As it is I recall one or two reviews of Dirt Rally 2.0 mentioning it was the reason that it got cut from the first game, but that was about it.

Maybe someone can help PPIHC find another sponsor who is richer and more generous?
To be fair, the PPIHC isn't anywhere near as big as it was even in the nineties. There probably wouldn't be another sponsor wanting to take it on for the lack of ROI.

It's brutal that it's not going to better use. Gran Turismo as a game would be a great home for it, especially if they allowed you to run it both up and down. And now that it's all tarmac we wouldn't necessarily have to deal with GT's ropey dirt physics.
Totally agree, GT has a severe lack of mountain pass tracks, atleast point-to-point ones.

On the topic of mountain stages it's ironic how PD, a Japanese game developer, has not included a single Japanese touge stage in any of their games. It's something that's always boggled my mind, even Forza beat them to the punch long ago with Fujimi Kaido.

Last edited:
Totally agree, GT has a severe lack of mountain pass tracks, atleast point-to-point ones.

On the topic of mountain stages it's ironic how PD, a Japanese game developer, has not included a single Japanese touge stage in any of their games. It's something that's always boggled my mind, even Forza beat them to the punch long ago with Fujimi Kaido.
Yeah, for a game so heavily influenced by Best Motoring and Hot Version it seems bizarre.

Those were single player games with an online component. Sport is an online focused title. I expect it will be supported for at least 2 more years.
Which is why shutting the servers down would be even more useful of a tool to force people to buy the newest game instead of continuing to play the old game than it was when they did it with GT5 after only 4 years (especially since doing so with GT5 didn't even work). Major advertised game functionality for GT6 was effectively shut off when the servers of that game were scuttled even though GTS didn't have anything to replace it and even though there was never any reason to tie some of it into the online connectivity in the first place.

Even Electronic Arts games don't have online shelf lives as short as GT games. Even Drive Club's servers, a game that Sony bungled the launch then ruthlessly shut down the developer of, had a longer online life than GT6 did. Why do you think that is, and why do you think Sony would care to change it for the current game?

Last edited:
Even Electronic Arts games don't have online shelf lives as short as GT games. Even Drive Club's servers, a game that Sony bungled the launch then ruthlessly shut down the developer of, had a longer online life than GT6 did.

This is what gets me. I cannot think of a developer or publisher who killed the online servers of a game faster then Polyphony killed GT5 and 6's online servers, and likely will kill GTS' servers even faster. To think that Sport will last 2 more years is absolutely blinkered beyond belief, when literally the entire thing that Sport was built around shifts to the next title...which just so happens to release on PS4 too!

Hell, you won't be able to use Scapes in Sport if they turn off the online services (which I don't have confidence in them allowing to be used offline, at all) even when Scapes is literally just Photoshopping a car onto an already downloaded PNG.

and an ultraprecise physicsengine completely adapted for the next gen handheld joystick, as driving sims do.

Boy, this doesn't feel like sour grapes after getting told that yes, people play sims on pad, and they have just as valid an opinion on physics and vehicle dynamics as those who spent the cash on a steering wheel.

Totally not sour grapes at all.

Tldr: never call me boy.
He didn't. The use of the word "boy" to start a sentence is an expression of surprise/despair.

And even if he did, insulting someone back is no more acceptable than insulting someone in the first place.

Last edited:
Let me know how i was insulting. Please. Is critique=harrasment?
You literally directed a term of abuse at another member, and I have removed it from your post - and you were notified of this. I have no idea what "critique" or "harassment" have to do with anything. You insulted someone in response to feeling insulted by something that wasn't an insult.

It isn't a discussion. Don't insult other users, whether first or in response.

Last edited:
He didn't. The use of the word "boy" to start a sentence is an expression of surprise/despair.
Ding ding ding. But go off I guess.

Outside this echo chamber YMMV. Your ignorance is beyond me. Absolutely stunning. Ive been driving for over a decade. When i drive a sim i can tell if its got a good or not implementation of physics compared to driving IRL.
Good job. So can a lot of people.

You. Can. Not. Make. That. Out. With. A. Gamepad.
GTS's handling physics and vehicle dynamics of FWD cars specifically is utter dog****, and anyone who's played the game with either a wheel or a gamepad can tell you that the way GTS (and likely, GT7) expects you to be fast and effective in FWD cars, runs anti-thetical to FWD in most sims, simcade titles, and indeed reality.

Again, I don't need a wheel to see that, and can easily spot that with a gamepad.

Then again, driving WITH a wheel in GT can be underwhelming, presumably because they hold back on physics because pad players.
Almost like there's a market for people playing simcade games (which it should be eternally noted, is what GT is, and always will be, a game that tries to appeal to all while being somewhat realistic at the same time) with both a wheel and a gamepad! What a conspiracy!

Try RBR NGP6 with a wheel and then do it with your pad. Try to give some of your expert advice in that community, let me know how that goes.
I'd rather not, because I imagine RBR's community is filled with the same people like you, who are so stuck up their own asses that they can't imagine a world where people with pads could be catered to, especially for valid reasons as to why they don't have a wheel in a first place.

But really, that's an unrelated tangent to an otherwise throwaway line in a post. Back to pointing out Polyphony's habits with regards to shutting down online services!

Daddy Microsoft seems to be heading in a direction that is good for players in the past two years, maybe it can make some people petition it. 😎

To be fair, the PPIHC isn't anywhere near as big as it was even in the nineties. There probably wouldn't be another sponsor wanting to take it on for the lack of ROI.
Then this non-pure profit-oriented course of action seems to be in line with Yamauchi's style.

I'd rather not, because I imagine RBR's community is filled with the same people like you, who are so stuck up their own asses that they can't imagine a world where people with pads could be catered to, especially for valid reasons as to why they don't have a wheel in a first place.
You'd be surprised. The RBR community I'm in has many pad players and they are respected for their choice. You do get the odd wheel elitist (like any simracing community), but insulting anyone for their preference will get you a swift boot from the server.

EDIT: But yes, it's a shame we still have to deal with wheel elitists in many racing game communities. When people will get over it and realise that you can still have both good wheel and controller implementation, I don't know.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised. The RBR community I'm in has many pad players and they are respected for their choice. You do get the odd wheel elitist (like any simracing community), but insulting anyone for their preference will get you a swift boot from the server.

Well that's good then. I imagine being a game released in 2005 or so would at least help push pad physics along...and kill the argument the quoted person was making even more.

Well that's good then. I imagine being a game released in 2005 or so would at least help push pad physics along...and kill the argument the quoted person was making even more.
Yeah, when I wasn't bothered to get my wheel out and needed help to fix a pad issue I was having with the game, the lead dev of the plugin was quick to respond with the fix. No snarky remarks or anything of the sort.

"The requirement for the online connection isn't specific to the Cafe per se," Yamauchi said. "It's just to prevent cheating overall from people trying to modify the save data, so that's the reason for the online connection."
The only mode that won't require an online connection, in fact, is the game's arcade mode as it doesn't use save data.

And if it’s like GTS, an utterly useless mode.
PD would have to program access to more cars than they’ve left for players to choose in current Arcade Mode. When the Servers are down and a player boots up the game, there are much more variety of cars to choose in Arcade(Gr.4 Mustang, Gr.4 Megane, R18 ‘11, just to name a few). The updates, once the servers return online, negate those choices. Such a shame because, it is a saving grace when offline.

I’d rather Arcade Mode make all cars and tracks available for that reason. No hardrive save, for another 3-4 years, is just silly.

"The requirement for the online connection isn't specific to the Cafe per se," Yamauchi said. "It's just to prevent cheating overall from people trying to modify the save data, so that's the reason for the online connection."
The only mode that won't require an online connection, in fact, is the game's arcade mode as it doesn't use save data.
Yamauchi continues to miss the point that in a single player mode the only person that the player can "cheat" is themselves. It's not like a competitive game where integrity is actually an issue. Veyron-engined Civics running around offline harms exactly no one.

Hi folks,

After recently discovering that Gran Turismo 7 will have an always online requirement, I decided to take it upon myself to be the voice of fans who are just as disappointed in the hopes of this petition reaching out to Sony and Polyphony Digital to reconsider the always-online aspect of the game.

I have provided 5 potential solutions to the problem in the petition. Solutions that I feel would appease both the old-school Gran Turismo community and the eSports community.

If you too are disappointed in the always-online aspect of Gran Turismo 7, let Sony know this by signing the petition. If you know anybody outside of this forum who too are also disappointed, feel free to share the petition with them.

Thank you,
Dylan.

Do you just need an internet connection to play career mode or do you need to buy a playstation online subscription? I would also like to know this about GT Sport since I haven't bought that game yet, just got a PS4.

Do you just need an internet connection to play career mode or do you need to buy a playstation online subscription? I would also like to know this about GT Sport since I haven't bought that game yet, just got a PS4.
You will need an internet connection for GT Sport (and probably GT7 too), but PlayStation "online subscription" (PS Plus) is for online multiplayer access only.

You will need an internet connection for GT Sport (and probably GT7 too), but PlayStation "online subscription" (PS Plus) is for online multiplayer access only.
So with my internet connection and without PS Plus I can play career mode on GT Sport? Sounds like it's worth the $10 to buy it then. Thanks! I do certainly hope they disable online requirements once online support is no longer available though.

Back