Petition to remove the online connection in Dirt Rally 2 carreer

• Thread starter MarcoM
  • 69 comments
I'll need to register to vote later on, but I will vote to remove online only for career mode simply because it seems like an unnecessary feature. I have a good internet connection, but that doesn't mean it won't be a massive annoyance if racenet itself is down.

Glad I stumbled across this thread, would have been annoyed if I'd bought the game then discovered this "feature".

Will buy the game if/when it's removed....

I don't think CM is going to remove it. It is after all an anti-game-hacking thing. :D

I don't think CM is going to remove it. It is after all an anti-game-hacking thing. :D

In which case I won't buy it - no problem :). Though I really don't get why they're so worried about people cheating in a singleplayer game mode...

In which case I won't buy it - no problem :). Though I really don't get why they're so worried about people cheating in a singleplayer game mode...
I think, and I could be wrong, that it is a general hacking/cheating feature. People who get the game for free want to play the "My Team career mode" as well. So CM probably implemented this racenet server to make it impossible for hackers/cheater to play the Career mode, unlock cars etc ... .
If you can't unlock stuff and only play a small part of the game, hackers/cheaters will be discouraged to download the game for free.

Wrong/correct or something in between?

I think, and I could be wrong, that it is a general hacking/cheating feature. People who get the game for free want to play the "My Team career mode" as well. So CM probably implemented this racenet server to make it impossible for hackers/cheater to play the Career mode, unlock cars etc ... .
If you can't unlock stuff and only play a small part of the game, hackers/cheaters will be discouraged to download the game for free.

Wrong/correct or something in between?

Could be - if so it's a bit of a blunt instrument. Hopefully it'll cost them enough sales that they change it in future. In the meantime there's £45 in my Steam account I was ready to give them that will get spent elsewhere instead.

The up time and speed of racenet has improved over the past days luckily. Still if either your own or Racenet's connections fails, you cannot play carreer or the daily challenges.

You can however play all the cars and tracks that you have in a freeplay custom championship, luckily.

I think this is where the confusion comes in. All of the daily, weekly and monthly online challenges and ai weekly daily and monthly challenges, all of which are online leaderboard based, are inside the my team mode. I personally have found historic mode in Freeplay far deeper than my team.

All they need to do to appease those who now won't buy it is move the dailies out of my team but I don't understand not buying it because of how it is now.

I think this is where the confusion comes in. All of the daily, weekly and monthly online challenges and ai weekly daily and monthly challenges, all of which are online leaderboard based, are inside the my team mode. I personally have found historic mode in Freeplay far deeper than my team.

All they need to do to appease those who now won't buy it is move the dailies out of my team but I don't understand not buying it because of how it is now.

2 reasons for me - firstly it's a personal bugbear that really annoys me when a game requires me to be online to play singleplayer. Time trial/leaderboard challenges i completely understand, of course, but it should never need a connection to play career mode - there is no good reason to do this.

The second reason is simply that I don't always have a connection when I want to play - I'm away quite a lot and that's where most of my play time happens, and believe it or not there are still places that try to charge (excessive) money for (crappy) internet access.

2 reasons for me - firstly it's a personal bugbear that really annoys me when a game requires me to be online to play singleplayer. Time trial/leaderboard challenges i completely understand, of course, but it should never need a connection to play career mode - there is no good reason to do this.

The second reason is simply that I don't always have a connection when I want to play - I'm away quite a lot and that's where most of my play time happens, and believe it or not there are still places that try to charge (excessive) money for (crappy) internet access.

Yeah I totally get on board with that. Until it changes it isn't just single player mode that's the point I was making. Virtually all the online section is in that mode as well.

I'm not saying I agree with it just pointing out it's because that section is probably 75% online focussed. The solution should be to move the online mode put of my team and then the racenet connection is moot.

Plus the my team section is identical to the championship mode in DR1 whereas historical mode, official RX and customer championshipode is all offline and far deeper than my team as you can actually adjust difficulty yourself and it feels like there's more progression.

Yeah I totally get on board with that. Until it changes it isn't just single player mode that's the point I was making. Virtually all the online section is in that mode as well.

I'm not saying I agree with it just pointing out it's because that section is probably 75% online focussed. The solution should be to move the online mode put of my team and then the racenet connection is moot.

Plus the my team section is identical to the championship mode in DR1 whereas historical mode, official RX and customer championshipode is all offline and far deeper than my team as you can actually adjust difficulty yourself and it feels like there's more progression.

Indeed - it's such an obvious solution, we'll see what happens. I can wait anyway - no VR is another annoyance for me at launch, so I'll look at it again when that drops in the summer (hopefully!)

Freeplay is offline? And what is free play?

What a confusing situation if you don't have the game.

Don't focus on the career too much. In free play you can create your own championships to your liking.
I haven't tried yet, so I am not sure, but do we still get credits for completing custom championships, like in DR1? In the event that Racenet is down and I still want to get credits to buy cars to use in Career mode once it's back.

Freeplay is offline? And what is free play?

What a confusing situation if you don't have the game.

Free play =:
IMG_20190225_183859.jpg

Historical mode:
IMG_20190225_183924.jpg

IMG_20190225_184513.jpg
IMG_20190225_184523.jpg

Official RX mode: (full official season)
Custom championships:
IMG_20190225_183941.jpg

Time trial: Dry/wet selectable conditions, all cars and classes unlocked for class based time trial leaderboards. Very similar to Forza's class based rivals leaderboards.

My team =:
2x "offline" modes in rally and Rallycross (identical structure to DR1,) no difficulty settings etc.
IMG_20190225_184000.jpg

The rest is then the online events portion. So 6x online sections.
IMG_20190225_184006.jpg
IMG_20190225_184008.jpg

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Time-trial is one dry or damp track only. No time of day or weather. If you want to tamper with those, then custom championship is the place to be.

I actually think the off line part is the best of the game. You can select basically everything.

Time-trial is one dry or damp track only. No time of day or weather. If you want to tamper with those, then custom championship is the place to be.

I actually think the off line part is the best of the game. You can select basically everything.

Definitely, will have a lot of fun setting up long custom championships, especially as the DLC comes .

It's more than just a SP issue. The cars, credits, staff used in the My Team panel are the exact same ones used in the online portion. Not exercising some control over this would allow hackers to just dominate making online useless to most of us. It's an unpopular opinion but I think it is a move in the right direction.

*I'm fully aware that players have found a way to hack it already, but a few bans and some code changes should rectify that.

It's more than just a SP issue. The cars, credits, staff used in the My Team panel are the exact same ones used in the online portion. Not exercising some control over this would allow hackers to just dominate making online useless to most of us. It's an unpopular opinion but I think it is a move in the right direction.

*I'm fully aware that players have found a way to hack it already, but a few bans and some code changes should rectify that.

@Deadheadbill , you did see @Pfei 's post about negative times already? :
DiRT Rally 2.0 General Discussion

Latest Posts

Back