Petition to remove the online connection in Dirt Rally 2 carreer

• Thread starter MarcoM
  • 69 comments
Time-trial is one dry or damp track only. No time of day or weather. If you want to tamper with those, then custom championship is the place to be.

I actually think the off line part is the best of the game. You can select basically everything.
I agree, it's awesome. I would like it if it tracked stats in free play though. Kms driven, wins, kms per car etc etc. Also unlocking and upgrading cars but then I guess by proxy it would be a career mode in and of itself which is probably what many would have wanted anyway.

Pretty sure this is their primary anti-piracy measure. This is CM own version of always connected for the "campagin" too.

It's one smart move on their part in order to make sure the people buy the game. Gotta give them dat.

Rest assured It isn't being removed.

Since racenet is now pretty stable and fast, I have no problem with it.
And the stuff outside My career is basically all I need.

The lacking details in the FFB and wheel synchronisation are bigger problems. Both were not a problem in DR1 and now they are in 2.

Yup. Exactly what I'm doing.
Luckily, I held off my purchase due to their DLC plans. I would've been furious not knowing about the always-online requirement had I purchased the Deluxe Edition as I intended to.

Truly dishonest of CM never mentioning it at any point before the game’s release. But of course they’d rather take your money before the backlash.

MXH
Luckily, I held off my purchase due to their DLC plans. I would've been furious not knowing about the always-online requirement had I purchased the Deluxe Edition as I intended to.

Truly dishonest of CM never mentioning it at any point before the game’s release. But of course they’d rather take your money before the backlash.

Always online is not a requirement. Online is required for, you guessed it, the online modes, within MyTeam. The majority offline mode is all, again, offline, with no always online requirement.

I can understand the frustration as the perceived single player portion is behind the online connection. But to say it's always online is simply wrong and misleading from your end.

Always online is not a requirement. Online is required for, you guessed it, the online modes, within MyTeam. The majority offline mode is all, again, offline, with no always online requirement.

I can understand the frustration as the perceived single player portion is behind the online connection. But to say it's always online is simply wrong and misleading from your end.

Yeah their choice, but if someone doesn't buy it because of that they are missing a great game. The rest of us will be out there tearing it up. /shrug

I am fully in support of it myself and feel it is a step in the right direction, much like GT Sport made last year.

Can I save my progress in (single player) career mode without being online? If the answer to that question is anything other than "Yes", then that is what I have a problem with.

Yeah their choice, but if someone doesn't buy it because of that they are missing a great game. The rest of us will be out there tearing it up. /shrug

I am fully in support of it myself and feel it is a step in the right direction, much like GT Sport made last year.

Each to their own, the online requirement is one of the reasons I haven't bought GTS either.

Can I save my progress in (single player) career mode without being online? If the answer to that question is anything other than "Yes", then that is what I have a problem with.

Each to their own, the online requirement is one of the reasons I haven't bought GTS either.

I'll just be honest here, you might want to quit racing games then because other than maybe Pcars 3 I think they all will be reguiring online in the future. You're already missing 2 great ones, but as we both have said,"to each his own".

Yep, I'm aware of that fact. I simply thought that it no longer needed to be pointed out.

I'll just be honest here, you might want to quit racing games then because other than maybe Pcars 3 I think they all will be reguiring online in the future. You're already missing 2 great ones, but as we both have said,"to each his own".

There is absolutely no good reason to require a connection for singleplayer. There are plenty of bad reasons I've seen...

Just regarding GTS, in all honesty I wouldn't have bought it even without the online requirement, so I don't feel I'm missing out there - but that's a whole different conversation!

There is absolutely no good reason to require a connection for singleplayer. There are plenty of bad reasons I've seen...

Just regarding GTS, in all honesty I wouldn't have bought it even without the online requirement, so I don't feel I'm missing out there - but that's a whole different conversation!

Enjoy NOT racing those games then I guess? Not sure what you want me to say.

There is absolutely no good reason to require a connection for singleplayer.
- Anti-piracy.
- Hot-Fix (background script tweak) capability without requiring costly & slow submission process.
- Less regression issues (playerbase is on the same build). If you want to understand why that can be beneficial try a fresh install of GT 6.

I could probably go on, but I guess you won't be buying it /shrug.

Last edited:
- Anti-piracy.
- Hot-Fix (background script tweak) capability without requiring costly & timely submissions.
- Less regression issues (playerbase is on the same build). If you want to understand why that can be beneficial try a fresh install of GT 6.

Also, anti-hacking. Anything that is stored pc side can and will be hacked.

- Anti-piracy.
- Hot-Fix (background script tweak) capability without requiring costly & timely submissions.

Correct :)

I don't regard any of those as good reasons for requiring constant connection just to locally save my progress in or play singleplayer modes.

For clarity, I have no problem with a game checking in online every now and then for any of those things. But none of them justify the constant connectivity requirement.

Edit - as for hacking, as long as it's not affecting anyone else - so what? I'm only talking about single player stuff here.

Correct :)

I don't regard any of those as good reasons for requiring constant connection just to locally save my progress in or play singleplayer modes.

For clarity, I have no problem with a game checking in online every now and then for any of those things. But none of them justify the constant connectivity requirement.

Dam good reasons for online though which is what it's for. If you want offline single player, there is absolutely tonnes of offline single player modes and content. All if which can be done offline, and all of which can be saved offline.

Once the Esports and stuff kicks in on My team it will be essential for it to stay as is.

Obviously no one can change your mind but you're talking like there's no offline single player when there is.

Dam good reasons for online though which is what it's for. If you want offline single player, there is absolutely tonnes of offline single player modes and content. All if which can be done offline, and all of which can be saved offline.

Once the Esports and stuff kicks in on My team it will be essential for it to stay as is.

Obviously no one can change your mind but you're talking like there's no offline single player when there is.

I'm specifically talking about the career mode here - you cannot save your career progress if you're offline (or for that matter the codies server goes down). I'm aware that there is the free play option, but from everything I've read that doesn't have any of the progression elements that the career has - happy to be corrected if that's not true.

I'm specifically talking about the career mode here - you cannot save your career progress if you're offline (or for that matter the codies server goes down). I'm aware that there is free play option, but from everything I've read that doesn't have any of the progression elements that the career has - happy to be corrected if that's not true.

What's progression to you though? Career mode is identical to DR1. You can't change the difficulties and, if you wish, you can start in an RGT car and stay with it for the 4 or 5 championships you get which railroad you from easy to hard.

Historical mode starts with old rally cars on short rallies, progressing through multiple championships in each era up to modern day. With adjustable difficulty. Office RX mode is all offline as well and customer championships, the skies the limit. I haven't done any "career mode" because the only element that feels like career mode is buying cars (which is somewhat essential for online play).

Man, there's sure a lot of defense for what essentially amounts to always online, yet if EA did this, you people would have a conniption.

I have no faith in dealing with Codemasters' Racenet servers which have been **** for years. It's also going to be nice not to use Career Mode when the servers go offline!

Man, there's sure a lot of defense for what essentially amounts to always online, yet if EA did this, you people would have a conniption.

I have no faith in dealing with Codemasters' Racenet servers which have been **** for years. It's also going to be nice not to use Career Mode when the servers go offline!

This is the point that people like you are misleading with. It isn't always online. It's always online if you go into the portion of the game that houses the online. The Freeplay mode has more content than almost any other rally game. And isn't always online.

People are unhappy, fine, but it isn't always online.

It depends on the context. If EA did this for a FPS or RPG then yeah, I would have a conniption. If it was a racer and for the reasons Codies are doing it then I would have no issue. I judge things individually not based on who the proponent is.

As to your "when the servers go offline" that is a red herring, other games have ceased server support and the last thing they do is release an offline patch. No big deal.

What's progression to you though? Career mode is identical to DR1. You can't change the difficulties and, if you wish, you can start in an RGT car and stay with it for the 4 or 5 championships you get which railroad you from easy to hard.

Historical mode starts with old rally cars on short rallies, progressing through multiple championships in each era up to modern day. With adjustable difficulty. Office RX mode is all offline as well and customer championships, the skies the limit. I haven't done any "career mode" because the only element that feels like career mode is buying cars (which is somewhat essential for online play).

This was posted by someone over on the official forum, which I guess sums up the kind of thing I mean by progression

in freeplay you don't have a garage or crew, no upgrades, cant buy cars, cant earn credits

If the problem is that this stuff is all linked into multiplayer/esports then that's (from my perspective) bad design - singleplayer career should have no bearing on multiplayer. But even if you think it's a good idea, at the very least they should make it very clear on the Steam store page (ditto for PS/XB obviously) that specific singleplayer portions of the game require a connection.

I'm fortunate I stumbled across this thread before I spent my money - I'd have been extremely hacked off if I'd discovered it after paying £45.

Back