PGA / LPGA / personal golf

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 974 comments
Spring is closing in,time to get out the clubs and get them ready for another season of golf.

Here's a little something new in this thread for all the golfers in here. Golf tips,to help us along our way around the course. As we are all well aware of,putting is probably the largest part of our score.You take and add all your putts together (lets say you 2 putt on every hole),thats 36 towards your score,darn near half of your total score.Ocassionally,you get a few 3 putts :grumpy::ouch:,now your score really starts to sail away.So heres a tip from Hank Haney (Golf Digests instructor and training coach for many PGA and LPGA professionals)

Hank Haneys putting tip

Lets throw out some more tips out here and try to help each other with our game.

Good luck with your golf game this year.Hit 'em straight and long.Next week I'll throw out another tip of some sort.Possibly hitting from the tee - reading the fairway to get the most from your upcoming approach shot.

Got a few pictures (and a video, which I may upload) of my golf swing. Had a great session at the range a couple of days ago. Started gripping down about an inch or inch and a half on my driver and did wonders. Feels heaps more in control and comfortable, with only a slight deduction in distance. I'm now thinking of getting my driver cut down. I've heard that the average store brought driver is longer than a Tour Average anyway.

Anyway a couple of pictures, criticism welcome.

p1000038j.jpg

Top of the Swing - I was actually pretty happy with this. Never seen it before. But from what I've read if you're left arm is pointing towards the ball it's not a bad thing?

p1000037y.jpg

Impact - Not too sure in this area. Noticed my right foot is coming off the ground. Need to set shutter speed higher next time.

p1000040t.jpg

Follow Though - Watching Ball go perfectly straight and probably in the hole. I've been watching a few pro's on Swing Vision and they all seem to be different in the follow through. So I'm thinking it's more of a natural flow of the body than a move that needs to be 'done'.

Edit:

Now with Video

Last edited:
Got a few pictures (and a video, which I may upload) of my golf swing. Had a great session at the range a couple of days ago. Started gripping down about an inch or inch and a half on my driver and did wonders. Feels heaps more in control and comfortable, with only a slight deduction in distance. I'm now thinking of getting my driver cut down. I've heard that the average store brought driver is longer than a Tour Average anyway.

Anyway a couple of pictures, criticism welcome.

p1000038j.jpg

Top of the Swing - I was actually pretty happy with this. Never seen it before. But from what I've read if you're left arm is pointing towards the ball it's not a bad thing?

p1000037y.jpg

Impact - Not too sure in this area. Noticed my right foot is coming off the ground. Need to set shutter speed higher next time.

p1000040t.jpg

Follow Though - Watching Ball go perfectly straight and probably in the hole. I've been watching a few pro's on Swing Vision and they all seem to be different in the follow through. So I'm thinking it's more of a natural flow of the body than a move that needs to be 'done'.

Edit:

Now with Video

Yes most off the shelf clubs are larger than they should be - If I were you I would talk to your club pro to check that they fit you properly.

That time of season is coming up again.... Encourage Shield :D

Hopefully I'll be selected, playing some good rounds recently.

May upload a video of my swing when I have the time.

Are you reffering to the 4th shot of Miguel at the 17th road hole?. The pinball Shot off the wall took some nerve and balls to pull it off, and land on the green was fantastic and freaky.

ooops ,sorry Nicksfix, when I first viewed your post it was on my psp and I did not realise you had a youtube under your message, ha ha, I goes on the pc this morning after I had replied to your post from the psp, and I see yer video with my stupid reply under neath it. hope this makes sense cos now am confused hee hee....

Are you reffering to the 4th shot of Miguel at the 17th road hole?. The pinball Shot off the wall took some nerve and balls to pull it off, and land on the green was fantastic and freaky.

Yep,that would be the shot. Amazing how he even thought of it,let alone pull it off in such a fashion.

If had tried that,me or someone else pobably would have gotten hurt. :ouch::lol:

I find it just a little bit rude, spitting in the rough or fairway would be ok, but not on the green, come on tiger.....

Also, played nine holes on tuesday, 5 over missing the par putt on the last :grumpy:

Also, played nine holes on tuesday, 5 over missing the par putt on the last :grumpy:

1 1/2 - 2 more months and maybe I'll be able to get out and swing some.

Descent round , 👍.

Please don't tell us that you missed a gimme putt , :lol: (been there and done it :ouch:) , it's aggrevating,to say the least.But you made that 30 foot breaker for a birdie,right ? That's what keeps you coming back. :D

Well, not exactly a revival but some good news for my golf.

Few weeks ago shot 44 points at my local club which is 11 over scratch.
Last week shot 14 over dropping three damn shots in two holes, but had 40 points.
Now the challenge is to play to 20 or better or my handicap could skyrocket, or I play well and finally freaking break that wall of being of 18.

Last edited:
The weather's finally starting to turn up here in canuckistan, so I think I'll be able to get some golf in soon. Can't wait for my G2 license (next month), I'll be able to drive alone, and golf like a madman (I'll still suck hardcore though).

Well, the weather's been really nice lately, and it's getting back to the point where I'd like to get out and golf again soon. Question for any of my fellow GTP golfers, what driver would you recommend for a high handicapper?

to put it bluntly, I suck. I'm just looking for something easy to hit. I know the better option is to practice, and that only a bad craftsman blames his tools, but I simply don't have time to practice every day, and I'm tired of missing fairways all the time with my 20 year old steel driver. I was playing with an old set of Spalding irons last year, and then switched over midseason when I found a deal on a set of r7 CGB MAX irons. I can hit those clubs high and straight, and it's nice to be able to hit the ball off the fairway with some consistency because they're so forgiving.

I'm looking for the same sort of thing in a driver, I first considered the r7 CGB MAX driver, but I can't find a left handed version (yeah, I'm right handed, but I golf left). Any advice? I'll probably get them fitted, I'm almost 17 so I don't imagine I'll have much more growing to do (I'm 5'10", Dad's 5'9", Mom's 4'11"), so if I'm going to drop some coin on a driver/fairway woods I'd like to keep them for a while.

Last edited:
Question for any of my fellow GTP golfers, what driver would you recommend for a high handicapper?.

I'm still using a Cleveland Launcher 460 with a stiff Fujikura Gold shaft.I love this thing.

As far as my personal golf goes ..... what personal golf ? :lol:

Someone lied when they said it never rains on a golf course. :grumpy:

The majority of courses around here are still saturated, even the best of those that have the ultimate in drainage systems.I've only made it as far as the driving range to date.It did give me a chance to work out some of those winter bugs.

Good luck to you GTP golfers, hit 'em long and straight. 👍

Went to a driving range last weekend. Ugh, that was bad. My swing is all out of whack, and I was having trouble getting any sort of power. Hitting everything off the ground fat (besides my beloved 56 degree), and just a dreadful first outing. I need to get some practice in, and then some lessons ASAP.

Went to a driving range last weekend. Ugh, that was bad. My swing is all out of whack, and I was having trouble getting any sort of power. Hitting everything off the ground fat (besides my beloved 56 degree), and just a dreadful first outing. I need to get some practice in, and then some lessons ASAP.

Lessons are the best way to go, my Coach fixed my high cut within one video analysis, awesome.

Hi guys, I just wanted to drop by the thread and add that I myself will be starting out to become a golfer. I've not played before and I own no clubs yet, but I've hit few balls at the range and have taste for it, next up is book some lessons at my local club with it's in-house pro.

Any tips on getting started would be much welcomed.

Sprite

1) By quality clubs, even if they're second hand. Quality clubs will beat cheap crap new ones every time.

2) Keep positive, it will get better the more you play.

3) Once you start getting better, and want to get serious, if able and can afford it, see a pro. The money will worth it in the long run. The fundamentals are exactly that.

4) If even you can't do 3, practice, practice, practice, and if you have spare time after that practice some more... a big part of golf is establishing muscle memory by repetition.

5) If you did 3, the importance of 4 is multiplied many many times.

6) Keep positive, it's golf, you'll never be perfect.

I'd recommend lessons for sure. The Muscle memory thing is true, but you need to make sure you're repeating the right motions too.

As for me, I'm playing much, much better this year than I have in the past. All of last summer I had never broken 50 on 9 holes, but this year I've shot 43 six times. I'm hoping that if all goes well, I can break 40 by then end of the summer. I've gone from playing 2 or 3 over par on each hole, to playing bogey golf and having a few pars and a birdie or two each round. Next step is some lessons. Having my license and being able to drive myself to the course when my dad's at work is a great thing.

Hellnback

Thanks for the tips, I have an average 18 hole parkland course that is also Municiple that is only five minutes away and also quite cheap for a round £15 per adult they also have an onsite pro who does lessons. I'm saving £1000 for clubs, I have a bag already as my dad used to make them for a living.

I will say one thing the club selection around along with shaft selection it's tricky to know what you need. I've spotted a set of Irons I like the look of but I'm going to my local golf store to get custom fitted once I can dole out the rite money.

Hi guys, I just wanted to drop by the thread and add that I myself will be starting out to become a golfer. I've not played before and I own no clubs yet, but I've hit few balls at the range and have taste for it, next up is book some lessons at my local club with it's in-house pro.

Any tips on getting started would be much welcomed.

What are your game points ? Answer strong or weak to the following.

A- Off the tee box ?
B- Approach shots ?
C- Chipping ?
D- Putting ?

The next time at the range, you'll need to work on your weak points, sharpen them up.Of course keep working with your strong points as well to keep them in shape.I'm not sure about the ranges in your area,but around here, there are several that also offer up putting greens and sand trap play,as well as rough play to keep your skills in shape. Perhaps try looking for one of these type of ranges and spend a few hours working on all aspects of the game.Keep practicing at it and you will see good results.

This past weekend I played in a scramble with 3 other friends.We finished up at -12, 4 shots out of the lead,GRRRRRR.Yeah,this other team was pretty well stacked,we did not stand a snowballs chance in hell of winning,but we did have fun trying.

Finally, Congratulations to Darren Clarke for winning the British Open held at Royal St. George's.A victory that is very well deserved. Great job Darren.

Scrambles is great, I recently played at a charity tourney. We finished at 65, which was 7 under. It was supposed to be 4 guys from my dad's company, but one guy couldn 't make it, so i stood in.

@Nicksfix

Thanks for the tips, as I've only hit about 60 balls so far I would say all the areas of golf need huge work. Plus I've only been hitting 8 and 7 irons one set are blades and extremely dificult to hit more so because the shafts are too short for my 6'1" stature but the other set were cavity and played allot nicer and the little bit of extra length in the shafts helped allot.

I started playing golf courses about 4 months ago, im not the best but I enjoy it. My best round at 9 holes was 23 over par 34. My driver usually brings out a horrid slice, and my short game needs revising, in particular, my putting. I four putt more often than not I consider the best part of my game to be iron shots from the fairway. Im not powerful, but I can land on the greens for par once in every four or five holes.

If anyone has any putting techniques they would like to share with me I would be more than grateful:tup:

Hey guys, haven't visited this thread in a while but I have got some positive news. May get a job up at the local driving range as a coach for certain golfing groups, help probably little juniors who want to get in the game, and make some money :)

If anyone has any putting techniques they would like to share with me I would be more than grateful:tup:

I'm not the best putter, but I probably average around 36-40 putts every 18 holes.

If you play at one course all the time, your best bet is to practice on the putting green until your reasonably comfortable, when I play in competitions I probably spend at least 30 seconds on each putt that is about 3ft and out.

Second thing is getting into a routine before you actually putt.

For me my routine is:

1. Get around 1-1.5m behind the golf ball and read the line to the hole getting your eye level close to the ground to notice any changes in the green etc.

2. Take a few steps, 3 or 4 at best and just spend about 5-10 seconds practice putting and trying to get a feel for the length of a putt.

3. From here I walk up next to the ball, have another practice putt then boom, straight in the hole :P

Your best bet to understand what I mean is probably watch a little bit of the PGA and see how the pros do it 👍

If you play at one course all the time, your best bet is to practice on the putting green :

Unfortunately, the course I play at regularly used to have a practice green next to the clubhouse, but they are now extending the clubhouse, so they have had to dig up the green becase the new clubhouse is going to extend over it. They have started to place the drainage system in where the new and improved putting green is going, but we wont be able to use it until next spring.
There is a par 3 course I go to every now and then, but to be able to use the practice green there, you must be a member. My dad is considering becoming a member because its only ten pounds a year so then we can use it:).

Just recently got a new putting mat (6 foot), perhaps its time to put (if you'll pardon the pun) it to good use.

Back