Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,140 comments
Pat Nixon holding Justin Trudeau:

Margaret_Sinclair,_Pat_Nixon,_Justin_Trudeau_1972-04-14_(cropped).jpg

Children Digging Up Frozen Potatoes On A Soviet Collective Farm, Donetsk Oblast, 1932

Children_are_digging_up_frozen_potatoes_in_the_field_of_a_collective_farm._Udachne_village%2C_Donec%E2%80%99k_oblast._1933.jpg

Raising A Flag Over The Reichstag, 2 May 1945

time-100-influential-photos-yevgeny-khaldei-raising-flag-reichstag-36.jpg

Inner German Border

West German Bundesgrenzschutz personnel, civilians and an East German border guard on opposite sides of the border line

Inner_german_border_herrnburg.jpg

The bottom version of that reminds me of the view of the Maritime museum in Greenwich viewed from half way up the hill to the observatory.

9th November 1989

Günter Schabowski, spokesperson for East Germany's ruling SED party, at a press conference announcing the removal of travel restrictions for East Germans wishing to leave the country, i.e. travel to a western country.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1989-1109-030%2C_Berlin%2C_Schabowski_auf_Pressekonferenz.jpg

This was a genuine policy drafted earlier that day but was supposed to be implemented the following day, giving the border staff time to prepare. Schabowski was not aware of the implementation date and when asked specifically when the restrictions were to be lifted answered:

Günther Schabowksi
As far as I know... it's immediately. Without delay.

East Berliners stormed the checkpoints of the Berlin Wall, overwhelming the border guards who had no option but to allow them passage.

Thus began the end of the Berlin Wall and a year later, the reunification of Germany.

Last edited:
Wow. I spent a week in the mountains of BC, exploring a lot of old logging roads and coming across a few old and forgotten cabins/trailer homes belonging to long gone prospectors. While going down a trail by Yanks peak, we came across an old machine used to dredge the rivers in the area back in the early 1900's. Amazing to think of the environmental havoc they caused for some tiny gold flakes.

Wow. I hope that person wasn't in the water long! Ouch!

Oh, and talking about ecological disasters, check out the hydraulic mining in California at Malakoff Diggings. Ouch!

Back