Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,139 comments
No description for pic, but it’s native Alaskans teeter totter possibly in the 60’s
27459773_214506545778579_8513370148007791851_n.jpg

Kim Il-Sung & Jimmy Carter, 1994

Jimmy Carter met with Kim in June 1994 to discuss halting North Korea's nuclear research programme. To the astonishment of the international community, Kim agreed to it, potentially signalling a new opening with western governments.

He died the following month.

10.19-1.jpg

KIS-JimmyCarter.jpg

16-carter_pbnl.jpg

Kim Il-Sung & Jimmy Carter, 1994

Jimmy Carter met with Kim in June 1994 to discuss halting North Korea's nuclear research programme. To the astonishment of the international community, Kim agreed to it, potentially signalling a new opening with western governments.

He died the following month.

10.19-1.jpg

KIS-JimmyCarter.jpg

16-carter_pbnl.jpg
Ol' Jimmy ought to go back...see what happens a month after.

Isn't American "white gravy" flour, salt, pepper and milk? I did always think it was similar to Bechamel sauce.

Hence the delicious meal known as biscuits and gravy, where a "biscuit" is a breakfast scone.

Isn't American "white gravy" flour, salt, pepper and milk? I did always think it was similar to Bechamel sauce.

Hence the delicious meal known as biscuits and gravy, where a "biscuit" is a breakfast scone.
Essentially, yes. Though vegetable oil and sometimes meats like sausage are added. It is somewhat similar to bechamel, but white gravy is much thicker. The biscuits are slightly different from scones since there's a lower proportion of the fat to flour. It's a very delicious coronary inducing meal.

There's white gravy. That wouldn't be good on a beef sandwich though.
View attachment 717891

A little research (and a hankering for biscuits and gravy) shows that a lot of things that the US would call a 'gravy' are what the UK would call a sauce or a 'liquor'. Or a jus, if we're on Masterchef.

Photography Of Mary Dillwyn; 1840s and 1850s

Mary Dillwyn (1816-1906) was a pioneering Welsh photographer whose hobby in the 1840s and 1850s took many pictures of nature and people in more natural settings. She used a small camera to take calotypes (a silver and salt mixture) which enabled her to take a more spontaneous picture in seconds rather than the minutes required for the long exposure of a daguerreotype or other image types.

Amongst her images is the first documented photograph of a snowman and the first documented photograph of a 'smile'. The long exposure times of other photography methods, which would be several minutes, is the reason many 19th century people have a neutral expression and look dour or miserable.

The Snowman

The_Snowman_No._2_%284095825226%29.jpg

Willy Smiling

%27Willy%27_smiling._Mary_Dillwyn_Col._1853.jpg

Self-Portrait (1853)

Mary_Dillwyn_M.D._1853.jpg

Sally & Mrs Reed

Sally_and_Mrs_Reed_%284095065677%29.jpg

Going To Church

dil9.jpg

If it's not a sauce made from the juices of cooked meat and stock, then it just isn't gravy. It's a sauce. Just saying ;)
I'm inclined to agree. To me, a gravy incorporates a liquor (that is to say the juices that a meat or seafood--typically shellfish--gives off during the cooking process, and that cooking process may be the rendering of a meat's "essence" into an existing liquid; a stock) combined with a fat and a thickening agent.

Back