Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,139 comments
Sorry if these pictures have already been posted, but this fellow's colorized work is really something else.

http://www.marinamaral.com/

Probably my favorite
A+victim+of+American+bombing%2C+ethnic+Cambodian+guerrilla+Danh+Son+Huol+is+carried+to+an+improvised+operating+room+in+a+mangrove+swamp+on+the+Ca+Mau+Peninsula.jpg

A Young Fighter From The Danh Son Huol Cambodian Ethnic Group Was Taken To A Field Hospital In The Forest Of U Minh After Being Wounded In A United States Air Raid.

Stalin was notoriously agelastic and hot tempered but he and Churchill had many enjoyable (read: drunken) nights together at the Cairo, Tehran, Yalta and Potsdam conferences.

16868403600_9750268881_o.jpg
Churchill certainly looks like he's just about to get a round in.

The statistics of them having lived 24 hours after take-off were not good. Maybe the last portrait of them alive. May God bless them, and us, for their sacrifice.

Sorry if these pictures have already been posted, but this fellow's colorized work is really something else.

http://www.marinamaral.com/

Probably my favorite
A+victim+of+American+bombing%2C+ethnic+Cambodian+guerrilla+Danh+Son+Huol+is+carried+to+an+improvised+operating+room+in+a+mangrove+swamp+on+the+Ca+Mau+Peninsula.jpg

A Young Fighter From The Danh Son Huol Cambodian Ethnic Group Was Taken To A Field Hospital In The Forest Of U Minh After Being Wounded In A United States Air Raid.
How? How on earth could they treat people in the middle of a swamp? You would get all sorts of diseases.

How? How on earth could they treat people in the middle of a swamp? You would get all sorts of diseases.
I can only assume that was better than not being treated at all.
A case of:
If we don't operate, you'll die.
If we do operate, you might not die.

Some more politics.

Richard Nixon vs John F. Kennedy, 1960

Famously, Kennedy was perceived by television viewers to have won the debates whereas Nixon was perceived by radio listeners to have won the debates. Nixon was unwell at the time and thusly looked more gaunt than the clean-cut Kennedy.

This was the first televised Presidential debate and the difference in perceived winners proved the power of television and changed the conduct of politics forever.

ss-080901-turningpoints-nixon-01b.photoblog900.jpg

richard-nixon.jpg

Jimmy Carter vs Gerald Ford, 1976

Carter_and_Ford_in_a_debate%2C_September_23%2C_1976.jpg

George H. W. Bush vs Ross Perot vs Bill Clinton, 1992

495318070.jpg

German Racial Laws Poster, 1935

The five main categories are; Pure-blooded German (Deutschblütiger), Mixed Race 2nd Degree (Misschling 2. Grades), Mixed Race 1st Degree (Misschling 1. Grades) and two classes of Jew (Jude) based on 3 Jewish grandparents or 4.

Where it says "Ehe Gestattet" means marriage is permitted, where is says "Ehe Verboten" means marriage is prohibited. You could only marry a half-Jew with special permission.

These racial laws would lead to the forced sterilisation of undesirable ethnics to eliminate them from German territory and perceived German territory. Ultimately, these peoples were sent to concentration camps and exterminated in the millions.

I would try and translate more of it but I've always found Gothic/Teutonic lettering incredibly hard to read even in English, let alone German.

Nuremberg_laws.jpg

German Racial Laws Poster, 1935

The five main categories are; Pure-blooded German (Deutschblütiger), Mixed Race 2nd Degree (Misschling 2. Grades), Mixed Race 1st Degree (Misschling 1. Grades) and two classes of Jew (Jude) based on 3 Jewish grandparents or 4.

Where it says "Ehe Gestattet" means marriage is permitted, where is says "Ehe Verboten" means marriage is prohibited. You could only marry a half-Jew with special permission.

These racial laws would lead to the forced sterilisation of undesirable ethnics to eliminate them from German territory and perceived German territory. Ultimately, these peoples were sent to concentration camps and exterminated in the millions.

I would try and translate more of it but I've always found Gothic/Teutonic lettering incredibly hard to read even in English, let alone German.

Nuremberg_laws.jpg
I have a PDF copy of Organisationsbuch der NSDAP, which is basically a comprehensive set of brand guidelines for the Nazi party. Don't ask.

And in that there's this exact poster but broken down into individual pages, just black and white instead of colour.

I have a PDF copy of Organisationsbuch der NSDAP, which is basically a comprehensive set of brand guidelines for the Nazi party. Don't ask.

A parting gift from the previous tenant?

You did always wonder why your purchase agreement was addressed to a Stürmbannführer.

And in that there's this exact poster but broken down into individual pages, just black and white instead of colour.
Must tell Danny that you intend to kill him.

A parting gift from the previous tenant?

You did always wonder why your purchase agreement was addressed to a Stürmbannführer.
"Customers who viewed this item also viewed"

*insert images of various Nazi memorabilia here*

Must tell Danny that you intend to kill him.
I'm not sure Danny features anywhere on those charts.

The Good Friday Earthquake of March 27, 1964

Great_Alaska_Earthquake_Fourth_Ave_Anchorage.jpg

Fourth Ave. in Anchorage after the earthquake ripped up the streets and demolished buildings. Photo: U.S. Geological Survey [Public domain]

Good_Friday_Earthquake_at_Turnagain_Arm.jpg

Damage along the Turnagain Arm (which is the location of Earthquake Park)

Earthquake-March-27-1964-Alaska-Government-Hill-School.jpg

Damage to the Government Hill School in Anchorage

AlaskaQuake-Tire.jpg

Tsunamis caused by the Good Friday Earthquake drove a 2×6 plank through this 10-ply truck tire at Whittier, Alaska
USGS

The Good Friday Earthquake of March 27, 1964

Great_Alaska_Earthquake_Fourth_Ave_Anchorage.jpg

Fourth Ave. in Anchorage after the earthquake ripped up the streets and demolished buildings. Photo: U.S. Geological Survey [Public domain]

Good_Friday_Earthquake_at_Turnagain_Arm.jpg

Damage along the Turnagain Arm (which is the location of Earthquake Park)

Earthquake-March-27-1964-Alaska-Government-Hill-School.jpg

Damage to the Government Hill School in Anchorage

AlaskaQuake-Tire.jpg

Tsunamis caused by the Good Friday Earthquake drove a 2×6 plank through this 10-ply truck tire at Whittier, Alaska
USGS
The power of the Earth right there. Amazing

The Dust Bowl, 1930s

Cimarron County, Oklahoma

21e63632f67b96eb2b0e85dd9857c1e5.jpg

Stratford, Texas (1935)

Dust-storm-Texas-1935.png

Spearman, Texas (1935)

Wea01422.jpg

Dallas, South Dakota

Dust_Bowl_-_Dallas%2C_South_Dakota_1936.jpg

Migrant Mother

One of the most iconic photographs of the Great Depression.

Lange-MigrantMother02.jpg
That photo of Dallas, South Dakota is absolutely unbelievable & terrorfying :eek:

The pic below is Melbourne, Australia, February 8,1983.
IMG_0473.PNG

I was a 12.5 year old in my first month at High School and can remember this dust storm rolling across the school oval.
Never seen or experienced one since & I don't want to.

Führerbunker, 1947

This is the rear entrance to the Führerbunker with the ruins of the Reich Chancellery in the background. The small left building is the rear entrance/emergency exit and the conical right building is the chimney and bomb shelter for patrolling guards.

Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun's corpses were partially burnt in a shallow petrol fire in front of the left building. The Soviet Union, as the first advancing army in Berlin and the Führerbunker, took possession of the bodies and interred them in various secret locations until they were finally cremated in 1970.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-V04744%2C_Berlin%2C_Garten_der_zerst%C3%B6rte_Reichskanzlei.jpg

Back