Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,140 comments
You see kids, selfies aren't a recent thing and they were all made without a darn selfie stick too!

Here's one by Finnish-Swedish poet Edith Södergran (1892 - 1923). Note the tape measure she's holding, after having measured the distance from the lens. No auto-focus back then! Picture was taken in Davos in Switzerland, where she spent a couple of years (1912 - 1914) at a sanatorium to get cured from tuberculosis.

14150403530_0075e874cd_h.jpg

Back in the days when they were just "pictures of yourself". And damn well ought to be.
No, "pictures of yourself" is a thread here in GTP.
The term you're looking for is "self portrait". ;)

Some pics from the early days of aviation. I don't have the time to find the specific information on each pic as I'm supposed to be working but a Google reverse image search should do it if you're desperate to know.

Prince Kuhio flies an early airplane.
deplane.jpg

Glider - details unknown.
100-years-ago-today-trading-suddenly-stopped-on-wall-street-guess-why.jpg

Lucky survivor...
article-2256528-16BBE110000005DC-324_634x635.jpg

One of the spiral tunnels built for the CPR in 1909. They were designed to make traversing the steep Kicking Horse Pass, near the British Columbia/Alberta border, somewhat easier. Here we see one CPR train exiting, and still entering, one such tunnel.

spiral.jpg

Still in use today:

E813112.jpg

@Grand Prix, I think your long standing avatar wins this thread today.

Thank you, :lol:

For those that don't know, that would be Raymond Mays, founder of the ERA and BRM racing teams, losing a drive wheel at Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb in 1924. Mays had tuned his Bugatti Type 13 to rev to 6000rpm, something Ettore Bugatti could only dream of at this time. It was too much for the half-axle and the wheel, complete with brake drum, flew off.

The car skidded to a stop inches away from a precipice.

mays.jpg

Last Photograph Taken Of Winston Churchill

Yes, a photograph of a photograph because this has only lately come to light and nobody has scanned and uploaded it to the internet but this was taken shortly before Churchill's death in 1965 at the age of 90.

_80484028_80483686.jpg

Edit: Going off this I just Googled "Churchill Funeral"

Churchills-Funeral-1965.jpg

CHURCHILLS%20FUNERAL.jpg

Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Phillip (saluting), Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Prince Charles, Princess Margret (behind Charles), Anthony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of Snowdon (holding hat)

January%2030th%201965%20-%20As%20the%20Queen%20and%20other%20senior%20members%20of%20the%20royal%20family%20look%20on%20in%20sadness,%20Prince%20Phillip%20offers%20a%20final%20salute%20to%20the%20man%20who%20led%20Britain%20through%20the%20WW2%20and%20on%20to%20victory,%20Sir%20Winston%20Churchill

Last edited:
A day at the beach in Belgium around 1900:

2004-247-350.jpg

toerisme_familieinzee_groot.jpg

Yes there were no sunglasses yet to stare discretely at the broads in bikini, in fact; there were no broads in bikini neither.

Violet Jessop

Violet_jessop_titanic.jpg

Stewardess for the White Star Line, and only one to survive the disastrous sinkings of both the RMS Titanic (1912) and her sister ship, the HMHS Britannic (1916). Also was on the RMS Olympic in 1911 when it collided with the HMS Hawke (a ship designed to sink ships by ramming them).

Can't tell if she had good luck or bad. :lol:

Lunch time on the set of Star Wars:

Ann Frank getting some fresh air, 1942:

Rare picture of a young Winston Churchill, 1895:

@W3HS You have the honour of the first repost in this thread.

Now this feels like a proper thread embedding itself into the community with such an achievement like that attached to it.

I couldn't make out the sideburns but the Star Destroyer, oh my gosh!

Yay! First repost honours! I'll put that down to 5 beers and a stunted memory.

Looking at those Amsterdam pics just makes me wonder if any of them people around at the time would comprehend what the world had become today.
What did it smell like there, what did it sound like? How fresh was the air, what did they eat for dinner, etc.

Back