Photos From History Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,139 comments
@BobK You earlier posted some photos of Admiral John Fisher, Royal Navy. Just a trivium to add to that; did you know that he has the first recorded use of OMG, meaning Oh My God? He wrote it in a letter to Churchill, who was First Lord of the Admiralty at the time, late on in the war.

Funnily enough he explained that it was "Oh! My God!" in parentheses next to it.

@BobK You earlier posted some photos of Admiral John Fisher, Royal Navy. Just a trivium to add to that; did you know that he has the first recorded use of OMG, meaning Oh My God? He wrote it in a letter to Churchill, who was First Lord of the Admiralty at the time, late on in the war.

Funnily enough he explained that it was "Oh! My God!" in parentheses next to it.

Thank you for teaching me something new today. That is rather interesting.

Armenian women, 1895. To the right, Eghisapet (Elisabetta) Sultanian, great grandmother of musician Derek Sherinian, survivor of the 1915 Armenian genocide.

tumblr_mic1bk2l231qem370o1_1280-732x1024.jpg

Tianamen Square is a brilliant photo. One of the most important of the 20th century right up there with Thích Quảng Đức, who killed himself when he set himself on fire in 1963 as a protest against Buddhist persecution by South Vietnam.

This practice still carries on today. In fact, over 100 Tibetans have self-immolated since 2009 alone.

No, I didn't know that; thanks for sharing. Or, to quote @Ken Koios, who said it better:

Thank you for teaching me something new today. That is rather interesting.

The German Army's Captain Lieutenant Zimmerman signs the surrender document to liberated the Channel Islands on 9th May 1945 aboard HMS Bulldog... apparently to the entire cast of any WWII movie made at Elstree Studios between 1940 and 1975. Just look at that 'tash!

Channel_Islands_Liberated-_the_End_of_German_Occupation,_Channel_Islands,_UK,_1945_D24595.jpg

Welsh National Dress

The traditional Welsh costume was a female costume worn up until the 1890s as actual everyday clothing in rural areas. Since then, particularly since the cultural revival, it is worn on special occasions such as St. David's Day and cheap facsimiles, especially the hats, are worn at national sporting events.

The hat can sometimes be an indicator of where the person was from. There are two types of Welsh hat, as it is properly known; the drum shaped with the vertical sides was worn in North, particularly North West, Wales and a tapered hat was usually worn elsewhere but this was not a definite rule.

43582_2.JPG

Two_women_in_national_dress_drinking_tea_%28Jones%29_NLW3363089.jpg

evanssistersfancylge.jpg

Last edited:
1024px-Polar.bear.jpg

A polar bear shot during S. A. Andrée's arctic balloon expedition of 1897. The expedition was an attempt to reach the north pole by balloon, but the hydrogen balloon leaked and the expedition crashed on the ice only two days after lift off from Svalbard in July 1897. Without a plan B, the expedition had no choise but to walk back south. This challenge proved to be too great and in October the three expedition members died on a remote and barren island in the Svalbard archipelago. It wasn't until 33 years later that the fate of the expedition was revealed, when their last camp was found together with photographs and diaries.

At 19th January of 1983, the 'Apple Lisa Computer' was released.

The Lisa is a personal computer designed by Apple Computer, Inc. during the early 1980s. It was the first personal computer to offer a graphical user interface in a machine aimed at individual business users.

With the introduction of Lisa, Apple Computer Inc. has significantly advanced the state of the art of personal computers. The maverick Cupertino, California, firm has rethought what a personal computer should be. Simply put, Apple invested $50 million to design a machine that makes computer business applications a snap to learn and use. Sporting major innovations in hardware and software, Lisa is destined to change the course of the microcomputer industry during the next decade.

Priced in the $7000-$10,000 range, Lisa is at the upper end of the personal computer market.

Apple%2BLisa.jpg

Hundreds of pics of Pin Up girls line the wall of a bomber crew shack on Adak island, March 1944

Back