Physics that have not changed too drastically throughout the series?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTOne2Three
  • 14 comments
  • 1,560 views
Messages
932
Messages
Chicano3000X
Messages
Chicano3000
What cars would you say have not changed too much since GT1?

I would say the skyline, still easy to drive.
 
That is a very misleading title.

I'd like to contribute to the discussion, but I haven't driven enough cars to really answer your question. There are too many to go through and drive!
 
What cars would you say have not changed too much since GT1?

I would say the skyline, still easy to drive.

Well the first 2 games handling characteristics were hilarious add to that having no decent force feedback wheels at the time and the game was really very unrealistic, but still way ahead of anything else of it's time.

GT3 was a big step up.

I fired up GT4 recently and played a bit with my G25, the force feedback is not as accurate and informative but the handling characteristics are overall quite similar to GT5 in many ways. The cars weight up heavily on turning and the breaking is almost identical.

So things haven't moved on much at least from GT4 anyway.
 
I used to always crack up whenever the tires would peek through the bodywork when playing any of the older games in the series. That has changed.
 
GT1 didnt even have analog controls how do you get a feel for physics without a proper input
 
Cars =/= physics. There is only one set of physics, not physics for each car.

That said, tire and aerodynamics in GT5 are terrible. Tire choice fully sets your grip, which is ridiculous. On aero, cars seem to only have one CD*A value (front), downforce generates no drag, slipstreams are huge, and you don't even get meaningful units when you set up the wings.
 
So things haven't moved on much at least from GT4 anyway.

I would say things have moved on drastically since GT4. GT5 does a much better job of simulating understeer and oversteer. As much as I loved GT4, looking back it was virtually impossible to drift because every car understeered, and it was as if LSD's didn't exist. GT5 feels much more natural, and weight shift is definitely improved.

I think the series has progressed consistently from each iteration to the next.
 
I disagree with the GT4/GT5 comparison.


GT5 is a HUGE step up in the physics department. GT4 had that understeer-y feel when you drove the cars. Obviously because it's a sixth generation game, but that's beside the point. In GT5, the car feels more alive, even for me (a DS3 user, as I have yet to get a wheel), nothing beats trying to tame a RWD monster like the Ferrari F40 or McLaren F1 around tracks. I could even go ahead and say that it's the best in the console market as of now.
 
^ Agreed. In terms of physics, it is still be the best by a long way.
 
shigllgetcha
GT1 didnt even have analog controls how do you get a feel for physics without a proper input

Yeah it did, it came out later, but it did...or am i thinking of gt2? I don't know, to be honest, i haven't really paid to much attention to the physics, as i have to detail of models, the GT games have always been really challenging and fun to drive, GT5 is the same. But i did play GT4 the other day, and i could feel a noticeable difference with the cars. But to what car that hasn't changed, i couldn't really name one, and hopefully i won't be able to too, because if the physics of the car haven't changed from GT1, then PD have not been doing there job. But maybe the mr2 is a candidate.
 
Last edited:
GT5 physic even with it's imperfections is the best physic on consoles.

And in mmy opinion it's close to rFactor model.

Ofc iRacing takes the cake and it is top that we should compare with.
 
GT5 physic even with it's imperfections is the best physic on consoles.

And in mmy opinion it's close to rFactor model.

Ofc iRacing takes the cake and it is top that we should compare with.

Couldn't agree more.
 
GT1 had astounding physics for its day, and it's still fun for today. GT2 was the worst, with slidy-slidy types in my experience. GT3 was a huge step forward in terms of the fun and drivability combination. GT4 was a bit better in some regards but has a bit too much understeer. GT5:Prologue was exceptional, and GT5 has been the best yet, of course. Unreal in some regards, but I find it excusable because a game will never re-enact real life to the truest degree.

And yes, I've driven all GT's (except GTPSP)
 
GT4 had massive issues with spinning/slipping tire physics. FF cars would sit and spin instead of moving forward. It made drag racing from a stop completely unrealistic in that game. GT5 is lightyears ahead in that department which really makes me want to drag race again in this game with good spinning tire physics.
 
Been playing since GT1, through all the Prologues, Concepts and I've even dabbled a bit in GTPSP.

GT1 and GT2 were good for their day. Relatively realistic for a console racer of the time. GT3 was a huge step up in all ways, but the GT4 Prologues hinted at something special on the way... and GT4 delivered... GT4 blew GT3 away in terms of realism. Compared to GT4, GT3 feels unpolished, arcade-ish.

The big issue with GT4 is the poor modelling of lift-off oversteer characteristics, and poor ABS/brake-bias modelling... the former made GT3 more fun to drive... despite lacking in terms of realism to GT4. I still loved GT4... because the detailed model gave cars flavor... I could spend hours lapping and finding subtle differences between different year models of the same car, or discover the handlings secrets of relatively garbage vehicles. I had several different GT4 saves simply because the garage size limit meant that I couldn't have all the in-game cars in one save.

The lack in the brake department was fixed with GT5Prologue, which also addressed some of the lift-off issues. And it just got better and better as they tweaked it. Then they took a quantum leap with GT5...

GT5 is the best GT to date in terms of physics. It models differential behavior well, it allows handbrake turns, scandinavian flicks, trail-brake spins, and tire-squealing four-wheel uncontrollable understeer when you overheat your tires. Some wheel users even suggest that there's clutch-slip modelling.

It's not perfect. It still lacks tire deformation modelling, something that NFS:Shift actually hints at, so it's not impossible on a console... and tire-size and profile changes. Plus the silly, made-up units used for downforce, dampers and anti-roll bars makes tuning a whole lot of guesswork... but GT5 is a well-polished product... at least on the physics side.

On the racing side? Well... we can only hope that they find some way to make Seasonals a permanent part of the A-Spec offline experience (they're some of the best races in any Turismo)... and allow us to toggle on tire wear for lower A-Spec races.
 
Back