Pikes Peak Hill Climb May be Exclusively Licensed to the Gran Turismo Series

Maybe not give it to a company that wont even be making a full game for another 5 years? They cant even get a demo version of GT out in time.

This is Why it's better racing on PC...
You don't have exclusive? You can have a mod... ;)

This. There's already a few not-bad GT tracks recreated in rFactor, I wouldn't put it past some crazy russians to eventually add PP to that. :rolleyes:

As someone said earlier, I really don't care, plenty of other things to do, especially if DiRT 4's track creator does what it claims.

I understand your point.

I'm simply saying historical evidence shows little interest in PPHC.
A reported deal with PD from other sources, which until announced is all it is, does not mean suddenly all games on all platforms would want to include PPHC but can no longer do so.

The devs at CodeMasters just said that they can't include it in DiRT 4 (which is a multiplatform game) which releases this year (in a little over 5 months).

Not talking about "historical evidence" :lol: .
Not debating "levels of interest".
Never stated "all games on all platforms would want to include it".
But it does seem that until the contract held for Pikes Peak is up by whoever is holding it (whether they reveal themselves or not), other devs can't legally recreate the track/events held there.

Again. I was simply stating the contrasts/differences between 'console exclusive content' vs 'game exclusive content'.

At this point, the GT franchise is doing much better than the PPIHC. Last year almost no media covered it, almost nobody freakin knew it happened, and many small time competitors were scared away. It has turned in to a big mess thanks to the management. Pikes Peak needs some publicity, but if it takes 3+ years for it to get any, that is bad news.

Uh plenty knew it happened because there was a big deal in motorsports about the Rod McMillen Toyota from the 90s doing a new run. And then the usual big names that have been showing up for the past several years. PPIHC isn't in dire need if it had been it would have been gone way before the pavement fully embodied it. Not every year is going to be a big news because of a several time rally champion driving a well developed and put together parts bin of Peugeot race cars.

Also Pikes hasn't had great coverage since the big manufacture wars of the 90s and yet 20 years later it's still around. In general hill climbs haven't gotten tons of coverage since they were a big thing in the 80s and 90s

I'm having issues understanding why or who can require licensing.

El Paso county maintained it for years, now the city of Colorado Springs does. It is an open, public road.

I don't understand how the state of Colorado, or the city of Colorado Springs can sell licensing for a road the tax payers are already paying to maintain.

I've driven it many times to the shop up top, they have great coffee

Exclusivity in racing games is a scourge. Cars, tracks, anything. I'm pretty disappointed that this is the case.

I would probably enjoy the paved version of Pikes Peak in GT, but for a historic version with unpaved section it would be a shame not to let codemasters (or whoever else wanted to) do that properly.

All the same, there's nothing stopping anyone from creating it PCars Sakitto style.

XXI

El Paso county maintained it for years, now the city of Colorado Springs does. It is an open, public road.
I was googling around to find more on this beforehand, but couldn't find if it was 100% public or somehow privately managed. I'm thinking any "license" would be only for the name and branding of the event and so forth.

People saying they don't care because they don't like PP, you're not thinking about the precedent it sets. If PD are willing to sign this exclusivity clause, there is nothing to say they won't sign any more.

Are you going to be happy when only one game has your favourite track, or car? Exclusive games are different, there are alternatives and they themselves are the product, so if you buy the console the exclusive is on, you've got the game, you're not missing out on anything. With individual content, whilst you can buy the game with the content, you're missing out in it potentially appearing in any other game.

XXI

I don't understand how the state of Colorado, or the city of Colorado Springs can sell licensing for a road the tax payers are already paying to maintain.

I would guess the organisers have protected and "own" the rights to the event. So it's not so much the road itself, but the act of driving a car up it in a closed competition against the clock.

So I think you could map the course in another game but if you include the ability to race up it in a closed off event like they do the real event, then you'd be in trouble.

PD must be paying a wad of cash, considering they're on the main logo now.

Positive-2017-Non-Dated-SMALL-300x158.png

As much as I like GT, this really is unfortunate news and I hope the exclusivity deal doesn't last too long. :(

"...the 12.42-mile course has a long history with the Gran Turismo franchise..."

Nope, sorry, Gran Turismo never had a "long history" with Piles Peak. Let's just hope for the best, I'm not really interested about this particular track, I'm interested about realistic sounds, damage and proper regulations.
That being said, I'm not sure how long it will take for us to see the track in the game...
I'm constantly complaining about the decisions the made, but even with all of the bad, Gran Turismo is still my favourite racing game...

Considering this is Eurogamer (the same people who made some very unfounded comments last year regarding GT Sport), I'm not quite sold on this yet. Given the sales of the previous GTs, an exclusive deal seems like the worst idea right now.

Quite the overreaction considering there is no evidence supporting this.
Just for clarification, Which part is lacking evidence? Surely not the slowest devs on the planet part?

SVX
It hurts other franchises like the DiRT one, however. Codemasters was suddenly getting its act together, and now already a potential Rally 2 has a glaringly big omission compared to it's predecessor.
The worst thing about this is that GT doesn't need this exclusivity to sell games nor does it even need it in a game in the way it would benefit a rally game. Imo.

PD wants to use this track so much because they can put a lot of invisible walls. I think invisible walls is their fetish.
Invisible. Walls. Everywhere.
And I can't remember any game with Pikes Peak for last years except Dirt Rally, so exclusivity will not hurt.

Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo too

Let's see if this will barely get used like the Top Gear, NASCAR, WRC, and Super GT licenses.

Came here to say this. Considering PoDi's track record with licensed races it'll likely be a massive flop. Remember: the car is heavy.

XXI

I believe the licensing goes with using the official name and event only. You could still model the roads and scenery and just call it something else like Colorado Hill Climb or some other generic name. Cote D'Azur in Gran Turismo is basically the same thing. At least, that's my impression of how things work with licensing.

Reading the update, it is clear to me that a vast majority of people commenting fail to read. It said that Gran Turismo is the main sponsor for PPHC, which makes things a little different than I originally stated earlier. So this of course takes precedence as Sony is footing the bill, you bet they would like to lock that up as the PPHC is an event and paying for said event you would like a bit of recompense yes?

Looking at the inane comments I see failure on many to pick that up, cheers folks.

Reading the update, it is clear to me that a vast majority of people commenting fail to read. It said that Gran Turismo is the main sponsor for PPHC, which makes things a little different than I originally stated earlier. So this of course takes precedence as Sony is footing the bill, you bet they would like to lock that up as the PPHC is an event and paying for said event you would like a bit of recompense yes?

Looking at the inane comments I see failure on many to pick that up, cheers folks.

Forza/MS were the main sponsor of 24 Hrs Le Mans one year, they didn't "lock it up" in their game. There is no need to do so just because you sponsor the real event. It's their choice to sponsor it, nobody is forcing them to cough up.

Forza/MS were the main sponsor of 24 Hrs Le Mans one year, they didn't "lock it up" in their game. There is no need to do so just because you sponsor the real event. It's their choice to sponsor it, nobody is forcing them to cough up.

Eh, when was Forza the "main" sponsor for Le Mans, I'd like to see that article. I've never once heard about that. I know they sponsored a V8 Super Car Team at Bathurst, but the whole Le Man's, never heard of this. I'll do some research. Be back with details.

Wrong, if they are the major sponsor if they pull out then the race may not happen at all.

Edit:

"“Forza Motorsport” was there, not only represented by an amazing driver, but also as an official sponsor for the world’s premiere sports car racing event.
Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2014/06/19/games-forza-represents-at-le-mans/#3UcTWDAuM5CSomZe.99"

Major sponsor no, official sponsor yes, just like a myriad of other official sponsors like Gran Turismo always is an official sponsor for ALMS and Le Mans. Major Sponsor means you sponsor the event itself in a big way. Gran Turismo isn't a major sponsor for Le Mans but their logos are on every car in the races, hmm might be more to this than I thought. Will do more digging. That quote came straight from MS Xbox page article on Le Mans from a few years back.

Also you are forgetting that these are competing products, I doubt PD pushed for exclusivity at all. They are a Sony owned studio so more than likely Sony pushed for it, PD has no choice but to abide by the management rules stipulated. PD as long as they've been around have never been ones to exclusively lock down anything, they just get things included in the game and go with that. This whole exchange is something wildly different and probably something that Sony themselves are getting into the details and laying out rules. This might be Sony taking control of PD away from Kaz, just like folks have been complaining they should have done. From the complaints in the comments, folks aren't liking what they wished for so much.

Honestly I don't see the point in exclusivity on PPHC, when was the last time that showed up in a top selling racing game? Heck I only hear about PPHC in passing, didn't know until last year that it was paved with asphalt, quite different from the old dirt it used to be ages ago. Sony is just messing up PD's flow with this business minded crap.

Last edited:
Back