pilmat Sim Rig [OP updated: Feb 5]

• Thread starter pilmat
  • 65 comments
New addition to the rig :)

i7-3770 with a HD 7870 video card

Little 2.1 system for when I don't want to wear headphones.

Note the nice Human Racing keyboard stand :D

The wiring is a mess at the moment but I have a couple of little tweaks to make (adda a USB switch, adda temp controller, etc.) and then I'll do it up well.

very very nice, hey , what is the iRotary on your mousepad used for. volume control?

Cheers :cheers:

The knob is the wired remote from the Edifier speakers. Now that you mention it, it does indeed look like an iRemote! It has a headphone and input jack on it too. It's quite nice for switching between cars in iRacing, the Caddy is REALLY loud!!

For the wiring, I'm probably going to spirro-wrap everything. It doesn't look as good as Hwangm's wiring, but is neat and tidy for the quantity of wires I have in that small space!

Fine rig pilmat, you are getting it all tricked out, she should preform very well. If I might add, why not make your friends day and give him your old rig free of charge. Then when he updates, get him to give it away free. I did that with an old table saw, it's now on it's 3rd owner. :)

Fine rig pilmat, you are getting it all tricked out, she should preform very well. If I might add, why not make your friends day and give him your old rig free of charge. Then when he updates, get him to give it away free. I did that with an old table saw, it's now on it's 3rd owner. :)

Thanks 👍

That is exactly what I want to do with my old rig. I have 2 people that are interested, but both are a little cash strapped at the moment for the rest of the equipment. Whoever equips themselves first gets her :)

I agree 100% that it is imperative we share our stuff out. I have 2 buddies in GT5 now by helping them get up and running. 2 others are getting set up in iRacing!

Thanks 👍

That is exactly what I want to do with my old rig. I have 2 people that are interested, but both are a little cash strapped at the moment for the rest of the equipment. Whoever equips themselves first gets her :)

I agree 100% that it is imperative we share our stuff out. I have 2 buddies in GT5 now by helping them get up and running. 2 others are getting set up in iRacing!

Good man, every time I upgrade my wheel, a different friend gets the old one. Given 3 away now.

Thanks Skuh :)

OK, I got one more issue solved. I tried a USB KVM and both the PC and PS3 detect the wireless keyboard (Logitech K400 with built in mouse pad) and the G27 through the switch. Now I don't have to swap wires and wireless dongles (actually, I has 2 keyboards...).

The last thing I would like to do is run a Bodnar cable for high resolution pedals. But I don't want to have to take the wheel off to plug the pedals back in to the wheel for console playing. What to do?

Here's a cool little gadget added to my iRacing PC. It's a NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller. It's amazing how much quieter the box is now and things are kept just as cool :)

I also added a KVM to switch the G27 and keyboard/mouse between the PS3 and PC. Now a little button on my keyboard tray gets things one-button switched :)

Quick update:
Added OMP Superturismo 320mm wheel, SLI-M, DSD Paddles, DSD SLI-M Wheel Plate, DSD Wheel Adapter, and Bodnar cable on the brakes.

I'll do some better pictures! The initial runs have been awesome, the combination of the larger wheel and high resolution pedals have lead to faster and more consistent lap times. I was surprised by how much of an improvement it made :eek:

Quick update:
Added OMP Superturismo 320mm wheel, SLI-M, DSD Paddles, DSD SLI-M Wheel Plate, DSD Wheel Adapter, and Bodnar cable on the brakes.

I'll do some better pictures! The initial runs have been awesome, the combination of the larger wheel and high resolution pedals have lead to faster and more consistent lap times. I was surprised by how much of an improvement it made :eek:

Did bigger wheel impact FF in any way?

Did bigger wheel impact FF in any way?

Yes, it "softens" it. It is not necessarily weaker, but it doesn't have any hashness anymore. I have 350mm wheels on G27s at work and they are even softer, but with that much leverage the FFB starts to feel weak.

The feel is still very good, but there is not enough force to "rip the wheel out of your hands" :)

The SLI-M is in and wired on a DSD Wheel Plate (Plate #2). I put 6 buttons plus the 2 from the OMP Superturismo wheel. The two wheel red buttons are look left/right. The two green buttons beside the LI-M are scroll up/down the black boxes. The white button is the TAB for splits/sectors. The blue buttons are previous/next within a black box and red is toggle that item in the black box (this is what I use to tell iRacing NOT to change tires and add fuel for a repair pit stop :)).

The paddles are DSD extensions (the mid length ones). They are borderline too far from the wheel, but I haven't had an issue with it yet.

Apologies for the wiring around the rig :embarrassed: I haven't done the big clean up yet, but I'm basically done with modding for a while, so I'll get to it soon!

I put the DSD pedal pads on too. They have a great feel, but they are a bit grippy in socks (you feel the sock grip to them). You don't notice it when driving, but I fear they might be wearing out my sock :eek: In next picture down you can see I also spaced out the brake and clutch pads with washers to get the heights where I want them.

The biggest issue with the Human Racing GT Chassis is the wiring. It doesn't have a natural provision for routing them. Taking a lead off of Hwangm and his ultra slick wiring, I now have a method. I put on a small strip of double sided tape (white servo tape for my RC kin) and then seal it off with aluminum tape. It is neat and tidy and doesn't stick out too much on white or silver rigs.

Here you see I left a loop off the G27 to still be able to adjust the wheel in and out. Also you can see the wiring as it comes out under the column and around the front of the down leg. The siver tape on the wire locks the wire to the double sided tape underneath.

Here you see the wires routed under the main column. (Ignore the iRacing penalty resume, it was a long session and those were not all on the same lap :lol:)

I have been meaning to post here on your thread for a while.
First, big congrats on getting the HRC! It looks very nice!

I have watched your rig evolution since the start of your thread.
I can only imagine how much you are enjoying your new equipment.

If I had not built my own rig, the HRC was probably the way I would have gone.
It was close, I actually contacted the CA distributor.

Last edited:
I have been meaning to post here on your thread for a while.
First, big congrats on getting the HRC! It looks very nice!

I have watched your rig evolution since the start of your thread.
I can only imagine how much you are enjoying your new equipment.

If I had not built my own rig, the HRC was probably the way I would have gone.
It was close, I actually contacted the CA distributor.

Thank you for the compliments :)

I am really enjoying my rig. GT5 was a lot of fun, especially the WRS and SNAIL leagues. But now I'm iRacing all the way. Nothing against GT5 and my buddies in the leagues, but I've modded my G27 to the point that it isn't PS3 friendly anymore :( When I added the SLI-M, I added the Bodnar brake cable and used the brake port in the G27 to route the SLI-M's USB cable. So the brake attachment is removed from the board.

I'm talking with one of the forum people about making a switch to connect the G27 pedals to both the base and a high resolution USB cable, so I can go back and forth again, but we've both been busy with other mods!

As for the Human Racing chassis, I only have good things to say about it. The comfort and immersion compared to other rigs I've tried is amazing. They are not heap, but if you look at it as a racing tool and not a gaming accessory, it's really not expensive. I sold rigs to 4 other people (that made it easy for me to decide to be a retailer of the rigs myself!), all of who are real racers, and they are all very happy and impressed.

Race on!

I just bought a white HR chassis. Just a little sad they removed the black border from the bottom trim. :(

Really set of the white upper. Going to have to send it to the auto body shop to get that black trim painted back.

I just bought a white HR chassis. Just a little sad they removed the black border from the bottom trim. :(

Really set of the white upper. Going to have to send it to the auto body shop to get that black trim painted back.

You have a connoisseur's eye for detail.

I have an idea about that, they sell rubber u-shaped door & window seal in rolls.
The stuff comes in a huge variety of profiles.

If you could find the same thickness as the walls on the HRC's bottom edges.
Clean application of that would provide the added dash of detail, and also protection.

door_window_rubber_seal_strips.jpg

Last edited:
Good work as always pilmat. Curious, what did you have to drill for the TH8RS? I have mine in the same location but didn't need to drill anything, just used the stock hole.

A wiring cleanup solution is what this chassis sorely needs. That is going to be the final hurdle for me, hiding all these damn cords!!

OT-prayers are with your grandmother-in-law. Hope all turns out ok.

Very clever mount sandwiched between the HRC shifter mount and TH8RS. 👍
Did you have to drill straight though the HRC shifter mount in order to secure the TH8RS & BB mount by the TH8RS' vertically-oriented M6 threaded mounting holes?

Hopes and prayers for your grandmother in-law.

Very clever mount sandwiched between the HRC shifter mount and TH8RS. 👍
Did you have to drill straight though the HRC shifter mount in order to secure the TH8RS & BB mount by the TH8RS' vertically-oriented M6 threaded mounting holes?

I posted this in the TH8RS thread, but it's worth repeating here :)

For those with Human Racing GT Chassis. The TH8RS is a great fit with only 1 extra hole needing to be drilled:

All that is required is the following hole to be drilled at 40mm from the center of the inside hole, I also counterbore the hole :). Then remove the clamp from the TH8RS base (3 screws). The screws for mounting the G27 shifter can then be used for the TH8RS mounting.

Here is the bare shift rod with extra hole:

Cheeba, I'm working on a wiring solution. Going to take me a month or two though as Pilmat is making me a Dbox plate and then I have a couple other fabricators working on something. Hopefully I don't screw it up. LOL

A real good solution for hiding wire runs is Split Loom I purchased it in 50 foot rolls at my local auto shop. It was about $20.00

I'm not a split loom fan, too many bad experiences in real race cars... I do like spiral wrap :) It's a bit more of a pain to install (and a real pain to add a wire to) but it wraps tightly and can be ovalized depending on the application.

I tried another type of split loom this weekend (more like pan-wrap) as I have a couple of wires added here and there, but I'm not excited about the results either. Looks like I'll be re-doing part of my wiring with spiral wrap soon :D

Back