pilmat

Certifiable
Premium
Canada
St-Hyacinthe, QC
GTP_pilmat
pilmat
[Update: Feb 5, 2014]
My home installation has evolved a lot over time. It has morphed from a living room accessory, into it's own dedicated place, a chassis change, a move with a lucky space just for it and now a new wheel. I love this rig and very much enjoy driving an teaching with it :)

Here are a couple of off-shoot that have come from this rig and things I learned along the way:
G27 Knee Clearance Mod (4 screw attachment)
Sim Brake Thoughts
Hydraulic Brake Build (G27 based)
T500 Install
Astro Headphones Thread

Thanks for looking :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the rig I use for console racing (the only sim racing I do).

It started off a few years ago for a Logitech Pro wheel for GT4 on a PS2. The frame is nice pine 2x4s screwed together. My design goal was to create a single seater feel and have the pedals out in front as opposed to below like in a saloon car. The result was OK for that wheel/pedal set-up and got a LOT of milage :)

When I got an XBox, the rig easily accommodated the wireless wheel. The wheel being junky compared to the Logitech aside:yuck:

In October I started teaching drivers in the rig using GT5. I engineer for a Formula Ford team (Britain West Motorsport) and found that I could do a lot with a "game"!

I recently upgraded to a G27 so I could also improve the brakes (with either a load cell or hydraulic mod). I'm currently waiting for a Perfect Pedal.

Here is what it looks like. The seat is a Momo sport seat (not for racing) and is really comfy. The wheel and shifter are bolted solid (the wheel clamps are removed for knee clearance).

Sim Rig V2.0 (left)
by pilmat, on Flickr

I'll keep this thread up to date with future mods :)

Last edited:
Brilliant rig, only thing i'd say is that the centre post can make it hard to race, but if your happy with it then thats all that matters :)

Thanks!

Yep, the center post is the one thing I don't like. It's just that in being low, I can't figure out a way to make it so I can get my legs under a side support configuration for reasonable access :confused:

I built mine specifically to avoid a center post. I still need to add a bucket seat and a more appropriate area for the H-shifter.

Edit: Your setup looks comfortable with that Momo seat!

Nice rig! Looks great! 👍 Love to build my own rig, but I don't have any space...

Nice rig mate. One question, did you find the two screw holes underneath the steering wheel enough for a safe lock in? Or did you drill more holes to it? I also whant to remove the clamps for knee clearance but I'm afraid that the two screws won't last long...

When you look at the bottom, close to the wheel there are 4 large black screws. I took the out two and threaded M4 screws in. They thread into the metal frame :) This with the two M6 in the back work really well.

The G27 H pattern shifter is OK. It is light with a nice short throw, and they went a way I like with a light knob. The precision takes a bit of getting used to, but it does work well.

I question the long term durability of the gaiting mechanism. If you take the six screws off the boot and look inside you'll see what I mean!

I plan on changing the knob as I prefer a straight cylinder to a ball, but that's it for foreseen mods.

Nice Rig. Maybe as a future mod you could work on some cable management (have the cables go up inside the wood).

ReDxHorneT
Nice Rig. Maybe as a future mod you could work on some cable management (have the cables go up inside the wood).

[embarrassed] yes the cables are "a mess". As I'm waiting on my pedal mod parts, I have left these "functional". Once the pedal module is complete, they will be properly affixed.

Having been a single seater mechanic for many years, I dislike internally routed wiring. I prefer accessible but out of the way :)

pilmat Rig V2.0

With respect to the center post and "floating pedals, I've decided to redesign the rig to fix the pedals and remove the center post. I have access to a CNC router, so I'm thinking to go with plywood side panels and 2x4 and 1x2 cross pieces. The side panels will be pre-drilled for the pieces, so assembly will be straight forward. Even the pedal plate, again out of the same sheet of ply, will be pre-drilled. Dimensions are based on the original rig as well as seating angle.

One of my concerns is adjustability for guests, so I am considering a Racespex slider for the seat. But this begs the question of seat angle as the sliders will be going up and down hill.

All thoughts and comments are welcome :)
The figure is 6 feet tall (like me) and gives a rough idea of ergonomics.

Sim Rig V2.0 (Pic 0.1) by pilmat, on Flickr

V2.0 design phase is slow! I'm still deciding if I will change to a Fanatec CSR-E, my friend just got his so I get to try it this weekend :)

In the mean time, my wife kicked me out of the living room. She was sick of seeing the rig in there. So she moved me into her office, giving me the alcove.

With the move comes a new TV (Toshiba 47L7200U) and a PS3 slim. She uses the old 40G fat for movies and stuff. I also added a USB hub for the headphone transmitter, keyboard transmitter and USB wire for charging the controller or headphones. The TV came with a wireless keyboard, so it is now on the PS3. I also "borrow" her low table to keep the stuff on while I'm driving, the iPad is for keeping up with :gtplanet:. In the action photo, you can see the clip on lamp. It provides just enough light when dark to see what's going on, but not too much to put glare on the screen.

Rig Installation (Action) by pilmat, on Flickr

Great setup! Looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks 👍

As for a future re-design, I've recently fallen in love the Human Racing rig, especially in white (thanks shaun_ccxr for the pic):
humanracinggt.jpg

My main concern with the GT Chassis is the stiffness of the wheel support. For any owners, do you find this an issue? I see in the insidesimracing video that it does seem to move a small amount, but this might not be perceivable when driving. I really don't like any movement in the wheel :grumpy: My friend's Wheel Stand Pro moves a bit and I can feel it while driving with a G27.

No issue pilmat, as a matter of fact just got another one in black , and now they have the player frame kit for less than half price, im sure they have disty in canada
Check out their web , just got one and really almost no flex on the wheel, same as my old one.

Last edited:
Thanks! It is quite comfy, if not a bit hot here in our summer. We did the two WRS races at the Nurburgring, each an hour, and I had zero discomfort.

I realized you cannot see the pedals are now in a two pedal configuration. The brake is in place of the clutch. With the thick center post, this configuration is much more comfortable.

Thanks for the input Hwangm!

I have ordered the Human Racing rig in white :) It should be here in a few weeks. Chi at sigmatimeattack.com is hooking me up; great girl, great service.

Last edited:
Haha that's great!!
I don't have any room for a rig of my own at the moment! /massive sad face
But I've got a $300-something flight sim controller I've never used so I'm going to invest that into a proper set up of my own! Can't wait!

So how's your new rig Phil? :D

Howi
SRTA

Do you mean this? :)
Just in off the delivery truck and set-up fast before I run out for the weekend.

I got it in and together with the G27 still in 2-pedal mode. I HAD to try it before running off to Mosport (5 races in 5 weeks is killer!). The wiring is rough as houses, but it's performance I was after. And perform it does! I'll write a proper review next week when I get more than 15 minutes in the saddle.

I will give the GTEYE brake spring a proper test now that the pedals are firmly mounted. I am also looking forward to try the clutch again and see what they actually did in 2.08. Above, the steering wheel is only mounted on the back two bolts, I have to drill the top plate for my forward mounting screws (I remove the clamps as they are knee-knockers for me). I'll have pictures of everything too. Oh, and the screen can now be hung at the intended height (had it a little lower for my original rig).

But the first drive was awesome, the pedal position is sooooo sweeeeet :) Thanks Chi and Howi for rushing it out the door to me!

Last edited:
Nice rig Pilmat 👍 congrats! What did you do with your previous rig?

The old rig has just be moved over for the time being. But my plan is to sell it to one of my friends, as I want it to put a new racer into the loop. I won't get much for it, but I will get satisfaction seeing it put to good use 👍

There was a second Human Racing rig delivered at the same time as my white one. That one is black and due to be installed in the house of one of my Formula Ford drivers. He will be the second one I've recruited for GT5 racing. Maybe I can get another hooked with my old rig. JP, are you listening :)

Saweeet rig, love it, white really compliments the room, for cable mgmt, check out 3m clear double tape, they are the best. Ive post photo in isr in SRTA thread there. It make cabling very very clean and easy

WOW! That looks AMAZING Phil! The white looks really good in that space! So clean!! It's totally unobtrusive to your existing home space, looks like it belongs there. Your wife must be happy. :)

What kind of TV is that? It looks awesome.

Here, you may want to check this out. Hwangm did an amazing job with his cabling:

http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=7681&start=20

Thank you very much Phil! Cheers to racing!!! 👍

Howi
SRTA

What kind of TV is that? It looks awesome.

The TV is a Toshiba 47" 240Hz witha super thin bezel. It is quite stunning to play on. It is also a passive 3D model, but I prefer GT5 in 2D :)

I'll look into the 3M clear double sided tape. It seems like a nice elegant solution, fully complementing the rig.

I have a bit of running around to do at the beginning of the week, but I'll get some seat time and start to put together my review!

Latest Posts

Back