PlayStation 4 General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 9,445 comments
Depends on the pricing and I think the idea is better than not having it. I think a fair few will do this because of the trophy support.

Not giving physical backwards compatability is just a stupid decision.

4ThePlayers? More like 4TheShareholders.
At least for that Sony can provide some technical reasons. You cant even use a game you already bought on PS Store on the PS3.

That so greedy its just unbelievable. The have a balls of steel putting "4ThePlayers" Slogan on the trailer.

They shouldn't be wasting any ressources on this to begin with.... Buy a damn PS2 Slimline if you want to play your old PS2 games. It's cheap and the size of a tablet, so enough with the complaining.

My old fat PS2 is still going strong.

They shouldn't be wasting any ressources on this to begin with.... Buy a damn PS2 Slimline if you want to play your old PS2 games. It's cheap and the size of a tablet, so enough with the complaining.

It's about the convenience. I mean if you could have one box under your TV that did absolutely everything, played every game system, every video format, wouldn't you want it?

It's about the convenience. I mean if you could have one box under your TV that did absolutely everything, played every game system, every video format, wouldn't you want it?

Not really, because I like the nostalgia that comes with pluggin in my old systems that I've had countless of hours of fun with as a kid. That, and I dislike this idea that in our society, we just toss away old stuff the moment something new comes along. It's wasteful. It takes no more than 2 minutes at the max to take your old console out of a cabinet and plug it in, so to my eyes, this "convenience" is more about pure laziness. And last but not least, the money that Sony saves by not enabling full backwards compatibility for the PS4, is money they could be spending on actual new stuff, like VR, to name an example. Microsoft have already talked about the expenses and ressources needed to enabled 360 compatibility for their One. And to me, those ressources are better spend elsewhere.

I suppose if we actually got a box that could play all the movie formats, as well as all the Playstation and XBOX games, then yeah, that'd be sweet. But that will never be the case. Instead, we're talking about pouring in ressources to enable the PS4 to play games that people aparently already own, and as such, only have themselves to blame if they can't play them anymore. Again, PS2's are cheap and very small.

If it retains splitscreen multiplayer, I might buy War of the Monsters again. Still own it on my PS2, and it's such an awesome game, that would do well with a 1080P upscaled version.

Not really, because I like the nostalgia that comes with pluggin in my old systems that I've had countless of hours of fun with as a kid. That, and I dislike this idea that in our society, we just toss away old stuff the moment something new comes along. It's wasteful. It takes no more than 2 minutes at the max to take your old console out of a cabinet and plug it in, so to my eyes, this "convenience" is more about pure laziness. And last but not least, the money that Sony saves by not enabling full backwards compatibility for the PS4, is money they could be spending on actual new stuff, like VR, to name an example. Microsoft have already talked about the expenses and ressources needed to enabled 360 compatibility for their One. And to me, those ressources are better spend elsewhere.

I get what you're saying but if you were to look at it like that you could say pretty much anything for convenience is laziness. There is always some longer, contrived way you could do pretty much anything but we take the easier, conveient method.

In saying that I do agree with you that PS2 BC on PS4 isn't worth spending time on. I'm sure they could have made it 100% BC with discs on day one if they wanted to, but they have other priorities.

Everyone doesn't have a ps2 no more so that's why they are doing this.

Everyone doesn't have a ps2 no more so that's why they are doing this.

But to be fair, it is not Sony's problem if your PS2 died after quite a few years, or in the sillier cases, someone sold their PS2 even though they still wanted to play their PS2 games. You're asking a company to throw what could be millions into enabling backwards compatibility, without any return on that investment. They're doing extremely well saleswise, so adding backwards compatibiblity won't change anything. It would simply be throwing money out the window.

Again, brand new PS2's are still available from several retailers, and they're both cheap and small, not to mention the used PS2 console market.

But to be fair, it is not Sony's problem if your PS2 died after quite a few years, or in the sillier cases, someone sold their PS2 even though they still wanted to play their PS2 games. You're asking a company to throw what could be millions into enabling backwards compatibility, without any return on that investment. They're doing extremely well saleswise, so adding backwards compatibiblity won't change anything. It would simply be throwing money out the window.

Again, brand new PS2's are still available from several retailers, and they're both cheap and small, not to mention the used PS2 console market.
I'm still waiting for VHS BC on my bluray player, damn you sony

You're asking a company to throw what could be millions into enabling backwards compatibility, without any return on that investment.

Well, the return is the price they're charging for the games.

You know what's even cheaper than a used PS2? Not buying one at all.

Watching the trailer, I wasn't remotely interested in any of the games shown, so the feature is lost on me. Until the end, when I saw the classic PS2-era GTA games show up. Full trophy support on those would almost be enough reason for me to replay them, if I had the time to do so. Depending on price, I'd consider grabbing them, even with a fully functional PS2 still sitting here.

If the first two Katamari games show up, or the first two Destroy All Humans, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist.

1449335087-banner.png

I got really excited about Cloud's appearance, until I remembered there's some twitchy fighting game with him in it. :(

I do see why people are complaining that it's not backwards compatibility but I also see why they're essentially rereleasing the games.

It's a bit like someone complaining at terminator 2 being released on blu ray by arguing that they already have it on VHS.

So the FFVII remake is an action RPG. Not in the least bit surprising, but that is me out of interest in it.

It does seem like it's moving a lot further away from the original than a "Remake" would suggest, which is worrying. Seeing "Summons" listed at any point in Midgar, for example, seems wrong.

But, on the other hand, I recognize I'm probably in the minority for wanting an exact remake, with only graphic and sound improvements. It's 18 years later, I can't imagine many people will want turn-based battles. It just seems very strange to those that didn't grow up with it.

I certainly didn't expect a direct copy but I will just never get on with the ARPG Final Fantasy games, tried most of them, never got on with them.

How am I supposed to play the PS2 game I bought on PSN (usually for more money than the game would have been used, but we'll sidestep that) for the PS3 on my PS2? Is it all fine and dandy that Sony tells even those people to go piss in the wind if they would like those digital titles (of which Sony has released something like 3 or 4 dozen new ones since the PS4 launched) to be useable (if not upgraded like the ones now) if they ever move on to the PS4?

What about PSX ones? Sony has raked in money with those across 3 completely separate platforms with completely different architecture, yet all of those could be transferred to any of the three systems at any time to be played (and with the PS3, even with your own disc). After making it abundantly clear that there is no technical restrictions preventing them from allowing those games to be shared, if they do the same with those on PS4 as they have done with PS2 games should the people who bought those games (and happily played them on their PS3/PSP/Vita) just shut up and hand Sony money again too?

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, the experience of Eagle Flight could be fun in full VR. Like Sony's first-person swinging in the last two Spiderman films, it'd be kind of cool to fly through Paris like that. But, I can't imagine the fun would last long-term...

What's with the PS1-era graphics in these VR games? The Zombie one, the Job Simulator? These look embarrassingly bad.

Back