PlayStation 4 General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 9,445 comments
Have got PS4 Pro, which is very good. For some reason, the screen goes black for couple of seconds, then comes back on.

Everything is all plugged, correctly, doesn't happen with PS3.

Have got PS4 Pro, which is very good. For some reason, the screen goes black for couple of seconds, then comes back on.

Everything is all plugged, correctly, doesn't happen with PS3.
You'll need to be a bit more specific as to when it happens, what you are doing and that kind of thing ;)

Sorry when I'm playing games, it does it. Not very good when, playing Project Cars, screen goes black and crash:ill:

Haven't played any blue rays.

Sorry when I'm playing games, it does it. Not very good when, playing Project Cars, screen goes black and crash:ill:

Haven't played any blue rays.
Indeed, that doesn't sound good, nor is it normal for the PS3 or PS4 to do that. The only time I've ever seen anything like that was a power outage last week. The screen can go black during a game load before the menu screen (dependant on the game) but if it's a crash, I'd check with Sony about this, otherwise it might be overheating (what with the recent few days of warm-ish weather) but I'd have thought not.

Last edited:
No worries - thinking about it whilst on my way to work, it wouldn't be overheating as the PS4 (and presumably the PS4 Pro) pop up an error message if that happens. So yeah, talk to Game.

Slightly off-topic, if I get two 60$ PSN wallet fillers from amazon and buy a yearly PS plus subscription and Horizon, will I get 15 dollars back?

Slightly off-topic, if I get two 60$ PSN wallet fillers from amazon and buy a yearly PS plus subscription and Horizon, will I get 15 dollars back?
I've never used the PSN cards myself but topping up the wallet by more than your purchase needs (it used to be that way) resulted in a credit balance on my account which remained until I used it up.

You could also tweet Ask Playstation if you wanted to be 100% sure: @AskPlayStation.

I've never used the PSN cards myself but topping up the wallet by more than your purchase needs (it used to be that way) resulted in a credit balance on my account which remained until I used it up.

You could also tweet Ask Playstation if you wanted to be 100% sure: @AskPlayStation.
Yes what ever you don't use,will be left on your account.

I meant that they have the offer of when you purchase 100$+ this month you get 15$ back IIRC.

Is it better to buy games in physical copies or digital? All of my PS4 games are digitally owned, like my Steam library. Though I'm leaning towards getting a physical copy just to sell at a later date.

Is it better to buy games in physical copies or digital? All of my PS4 games are digitally owned, like my Steam library. Though I'm leaning towards getting a physical copy just to sell at a later date.
It's a personal choice I'd say. There is an advantage to digital in that you don't need to get up and load a disc, or eject one to load another. As for selling games, that's not something I do; I've given a few PS2 titles that I now have remastered on PS3 or PS4 away to friend's kids, but the rest I have kept to replay.

Anyone from the UK got any experience of how long it takes from the day you send it to get a PS4 Pro back from repair?

I always buy discs, I mean why would I want to pay about £54 for digital download when I can buy the disc version for about £30 or even less if I wait a few months...or second hand discs aswell, I picked up project cars for the xbox one for ony £7, and gtav for the ps4 for £12...

Anyone from the UK got any experience of how long it takes from the day you send it to get a PS4 Pro back from repair?
You should be able to take it into the place your bought it from and they'll deal with all that (giving you a replacement.)

@John Wells may also be able to shed some light in that regard.

You should be able to take it into the place your bought it from and they'll deal with all that (giving you a replacement.)
Tried that this afternoon and Game (tossers) told me I needed to send it back to Sony as they didn't deal with issues. Wasn't happy and told them so.

I've been leaning more towards digital lately, simply because I've swapped a 2TB in and I'm no longer worried. They've almost all been bought during sales on PSN, too. That said, if I find a deal on a physical copy, I won't hesitate in picking that up.

I'm not the type to sell off games, so that's not a concern. My major reason for still buying physical (outside of deals) is having collections. I've got all my GT games, but the last two Forza games have been digital-only since the Collectors/Ultimate Editions don't come in physical form.

Tried that this afternoon and Game (tossers) told me I needed to send it back to Sony as they didn't deal with issues. Wasn't happy and told them so.
I still think that Game as a reseller are the ones who should be dealing with this. Call the local Sony helpdesk for confirmation and see what John says too as he dealt with Game also.

Damn, already broke!

I always buy discs, I mean why would I want to pay about £54 for digital download when I can buy the disc version for about £30 or even less if I wait a few months...or second hand discs aswell, I picked up project cars for the xbox one for ony £7, and gtav for the ps4 for £12...
I agree, however i have been buying digital games for the same price as physical discs a month or two after release. Physical copy is best if you like to take games around friends homes.

Do not accept anything other than what you want, which just happens to be within EU law. Retailers warranty is two years on electrical goods. Ask them that if you were to buy another console from them, would they tell you that you can expect your expensive item to fail within a year and they would not directly replace it. I bet they would not tell you that, perhaps some customers in the shop would like it pointed out to them whilst you are there.

Go back to Game, be polite but firm and do not accept anything other than a replacement from them. If you are not happy with the staff, demand to speak to the manger, then demand to speak to whoever is above the manger if still not happy. Make them work.

My problem with the Pro, was screen going black for couple of seconds. Because my TV only had one HDMI socket was using an adaptor.

So went to Game said to link it directly to TV, it worked fine, so it ended up not PS4.

Only problem was having to unplug everything, to use the PS3, so ended up using the adaptor again.

The maybe goes of a couple of times, but not as bad though I can play Project Cars now, without crashing.

Hope this helps.

Have any Pro owners experienced their consoles not shutting down properly?

Over the last week or so, I've had to do a forced shut down 3 times as it wouldn't go into rest mode.
I had this issue with my first PS4 but not after owning it for 2 months, that came about later in it's life. I'm always closing applications before shutting down too.

No problem with mine, just make sure all lights go out, before removing the plug.
I made the mistake, had to a system check, when switch it back on.:indiff:

Last edited:
No problem with mine, just make sure all lights go out, before removing the plug.
I made the mistake, had to a system switch it back on.:indiff:

I don't pull the plug. It changes to the yellow/orange light when it goes into rest mode but keeps flashing and seems to get stuck. Normally it's a constant light but it keeps flashing instead.
I have to hold the power button in order for it to shut down and then it has to check the system for faults when it boots back up.

Have any Pro owners experienced their consoles not shutting down properly?

Over the last week or so, I've had to do a forced shut down 3 times as it wouldn't go into rest mode.
I had this issue with my first PS4 but not after owning it for 2 months, that came about later in it's life. I'm always closing applications before shutting down too.

I have noticed if it has been in rest mode for a few hours it seems to be slow and games flicker. A quick restart helps and it is fine. Another thing is the front USB ports work for PS4 accessories, i.e wheel. charger but not USB save sticks. So i invested in a hub and now have 6 on a metre lead so much easier than faffing with all the leads. I hope the new update fixes these little bugs.

Out tomorrow...PS4 Update 4.50 and Pro boost :bowdown:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/08/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-out-tomorrow/

I have noticed if it has been in rest mode for a few hours it seems to be slow and games flicker. A quick restart helps and it is fine. Another thing is the front USB ports work for PS4 accessories, i.e wheel. charger but not USB save sticks. So i invested in a hub and now have 6 on a metre lead so much easier than faffing with all the leads. I hope the new update fixes these little bugs.

Out tomorrow...PS4 Update 4.50 and Pro boost :bowdown:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/08/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-out-tomorrow/

Occasionally I also have that flickering screen. Thought it was the HDMI cable...thanks for the free tip
USB memory stick works fine on the front USB. Or do you mean something else?

With the boost mode will we be (at least) 1 sec faster in the same car ;)

Back