PlayStation 4 General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 9,445 comments
So I just got a PS4 yesterday and wow, it’s way worse in stability than my PC. I don’t remember the last time my PC froze (and it’s almost 6 years old now), but in two days of owning a PS4 it froze on me 3 times, all the times while browsing the store. Two times I was able to restart it using the power button but this last time I actually had to pull the power cord!! I don’t remember the last time I had to do it with any console or PC. Is it the last 5.01 software that is so terribly bad or is it just how bad PS4 OS is in general?

I can only speak for myself but I’ve never had a freezing problem on my PS4. Did you buy it new or used?

Is the PS4 Pro supposed to get really warm?

Like 10-15 minutes or less of any game and its really hot on the back-right side of the top panel and on the backside where the power, HDMI, optic output etc is...

Yes, it's placed in a spot with enough space around it. And my 4 year old PS4 'day-one' never got this warm, no matter the game time.

So I've been testing some HDR-compatible games in my new TV: The Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy, The Witness, Horizon Zero Dawn and pCARS 2. Is HDR supposed to look "washed out"? It sure looks more realistic than SDR, but I don't know if the image is being shown correctly because of this impression of being washed out.

So I've been testing some HDR-compatible games in my new TV: The Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy, The Witness, Horizon Zero Dawn and pCARS 2. Is HDR supposed to look "washed out"? It sure looks more realistic than SDR, but I don't know if the image is being shown correctly because of this impression of being washed out.

I totally agree HDR for me washes out every game and picture like there is too much high contrast like a milky film (Trying too hard). It also messes with most photo modes and the main menu. I actually switch mine off in the PS4 settings for my 4K TV and I have a HDR 10 bit compatible TV. I try each game as I get it but generally use RGB Full (settings) for a better picture. I am sure it helps in some games and TVs but for me it all seems a bit over hyped. 👍

@MeanElf @doblocruiser Another beta is out if you wanted to test this or haven't seen this

Anyone have any idea why my shared videos to YouTube are not showing in "recent activities" or what's new on my PS4? I uploaded one the other week without issue. Since then I've uploaded 3 ( multiple times after deleting them from YouTube ) and they won't appear. I've made them public so that can't be the reason. Its really annoying, especially when its a longer video.

Anyone have any idea why my shared videos to YouTube are not showing in "recent activities" or what's new on my PS4? I uploaded one the other week without issue. Since then I've uploaded 3 ( multiple times after deleting them from YouTube ) and they won't appear. I've made them public so that can't be the reason. Its really annoying, especially when its a longer video.
Mine stopped showing up as well some time ago... Can't tell exactly since when.

Well I hope Sony put the price of PSN up by a tenner so we won't see any issues...oh wait!

That's more likely a software issue than a server issue.

They could up PS Plus by $100, and there'd still be issues. You can't avoid them all. Steam and XBL have plenty of problems too.

They could up PS Plus by $100, and there'd still be issues. You can't avoid them all. Steam and XBL have plenty of problems too.
I googled this issue and it has been present since 2013. I'm sure others have seen trophies they've unlocked on what's new, trophies they unlocked months ago. My what's new feed hasn't changed for 2 days. Makes the whole thing pointless if I'm uploading stuff involving my friends and they can't see it. Terrible service, even if it is a software problem, dating back 4 years!

I personally hated and still dislike the "What's New?" feature. I try to keep it disabled/hidden most of the time. I really don't want to see that a dude I just added had earned X amount of trophies in a game we don't even play. I don't need to know stupid information like that. When it comes to friends, we all text each other, set a time, and play.

I personally hated and still dislike the "What's New?" feature. I try to keep it disabled/hidden most of the time. I really don't want to see that a dude I just added had earned X amount of trophies in a game we don't even play. I don't need to know stupid information like that. When it comes to friends, we all text each other, set a time, and play.
I can certainly get that. I don't need to know who unlocked what trophy. I don't mind videos and photos popping up.
Mine stopped showing up as well some time ago... Can't tell exactly since when.

I think I have found a solution. It worked for now anyway but I will see if it works again if I come across the issue again. All I did was go to what's new, and in the "what's on your mind box" ( or whatever it reads) I just typed a message and posted it. Well I just put a decimal point and posted it but I made it private. I then refreshed and they popped up along with recent activity of my friends. It had been showing the same thing for two days. Give it a try.

Last edited:
Really the issue isnt that i couldn't see what other people were up to, but my uploads were not showing in whats new or on my own profile under "recent activity". This also meant my real life friends i was tagging in videos were not getting notified. But yea totally not needed to see who has won what trophy.

OK, so I picked up TLoU Remaster on the UK PSN sale, but what should I go for next? Second Son or the Order?

Second Son has the bright, light filled graphics for photo ops, but The Order has that Victorian Sci fi vibe that's compelling in its own right.

Anyone know what would cause this?
It says ive been offline on PS4 for 3 days and ive clearly been on for hours every day.
Theres no blue dot next to my name and ive done the sign out and sign in show as online fix.
And all of the the online features work.
PS store, apps,games, and i see all my friends online and can nessage them.
20180127_153358.jpg

Anyone know what would cause this?
It says ive been offline on PS4 for 3 days and ive clearly been on for hours every day.
Theres no blue dot next to my name and ive done the sign out and sign in show as online fix.
And all of the the online features work.
PS store, apps,games, and i see all my friends online and can nessage them.View attachment 709802

Probably your online status has been set to "Appear Offline"

VXR
OK, so I picked up TLoU Remaster on the UK PSN sale, but what should I go for next? Second Son or the Order?

Second Son has the bright, light filled graphics for photo ops, but The Order has that Victorian Sci fi vibe that's compelling in its own right.

I would say the Order as you seem to like the same games as me. This was one of my favourite games last year I really enjoyed the story and the Victorian back drops. Great short story, 10-12 hour play through like UC, quite relaxing with many QTE movie style (I like this change of pace sometimes) and some intense 'UnChartered' 3rd person style fire fights. Graphics are amazing still and very detailed on Zoom and the photo mode is still one of the best.
The Order_ 1886_20170115204415.jpg
The Order_ 1886_20170205083852.jpg
The Order_ 1886_20170225200137.jpg

Second Son does again have a great colourful more detailed new 4K photo mode, but it is a long game and I am still only 25% in to it. I found it quite slow to get in to the missions and the open world and the colour palette too saturated for me but I still dip in to it occasionally. But worth picking up if in the Sale.👍
inFAMOUS™ Second Son_20170405180751.jpg
inFAMOUS™ Second Son_20170421202527.jpg
inFAMOUS™ Second Son_20170623195649.jpg

PSN down again. I bought everybody's golf last night, not played it yet. Tried to play it now and it's doing nothing but trying to Donne t to servers. So I can't play the game I paid for, just like rocket league. Simply unacceptable.

Are we sure PSN is down? I can't login to GT Sport at the moment, because some genius decided to make that game always-online so even the single player is borked when PSN/internet connection is down... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Are we sure PSN is down? I can't login to GT Sport at the moment, because some genius decided to make that game always-online so even the single player is borked when PSN/internet connection is down... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Yup, PSN is literally down atm....... FOR THE 3RD TIME THIS WEEK.

@torque99 thanks for the detailed reply. I'm definitely swaying towards The Order, but for the price, I might just buy both haha.

As you say, we do like similar games. I'm not the most proficient shooter, so anything more cinematic works for me.

Is the PS4 Pro supposed to get really warm?

Like 10-15 minutes or less of any game and its really hot on the back-right side of the top panel and on the backside where the power, HDMI, optic output etc is...

Yes, it's placed in a spot with enough space around it. And my 4 year old PS4 'day-one' never got this warm, no matter the game time.
My Pro goes crazy with the fans unless I set my thermostat to around 68F (20C)

Back