PlayStation 5 Hits 7.8m Sales, Selling Faster Than PlayStation 4

Come on!! When did they sell 7.8 milion of PS5? Stores haven't had ps5 in stock for months. I will never believe it, they are nonsense numbers. Maybe they dream to sell ........
So the one I bought in March doesn't exist?

There's been plenty in stores, they just sell out quickly. I understand that the UK February/March stock drop accounted for 120,000 consoles - and that was just in the UK. Scaled up to Europe that'd be nearly 700k, and the USA would have roughly the same number - so 1.4m.

If the January stock drop was the same magnitude, that's 2.8m consoles, without mentioning any other market. Sony's 3.3m seems pretty close to that.

Sony had ~5m consoles shipped for launch, and claim 4.5m sales in that seven week period (and I got one then too). That seems pretty close too.

I don't see any reason for disbelief.

Last edited:
And even if they are going to scalpers they do end up in the hands of gamers, I mean, its not like scalpers are stockpiling hundreds of the things, they buy them, stck them on ebay and within a week or so they're gone again.

Scalpers suck, but I honestly don't see a way of preventing them, bar flooding the market with an impossibly high number of units.

I guess this confirms my prediction that the people who said the lockdowns would suppress sales of the new consoles and that it was the wrong time to be launching them, had it wrong.

It makes sense to me, with people being home more and some jobs being unaffected, leaving only extra to spend.

The whole thing just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, and I’m go to the point that I’m not really bothered about getting a PS5 any longer… and I’m sure there are many many loyal Sony Customers who have the same feelings as I do now.

I have every Sony console since the PS1… and many of its competitors too (Dreamcast, wii etc)

I have looked/ tried a number of times to buy a PS5… but have always been beaten by the bots and scalpers every time so I have just called it day.

And I have jumped ship to PC now… (luckily well before the scalpers also got started on the GPUs too) all I can say is wow… what I have been missing!… driving sims on the PC are so good!

Butl I can say is GT7 (whatever year it will come out) has gotta be really really good to make me actually want a PS5 in the future…. But I reckon I might just be ‘meh’

So Sony won’t be getting any game sales from me for a considerable period of time.. if ever again…

Last edited:
The whole thing just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, and I’m go to the point that I’m not really bothered about getting a PS5 any longer… and I’m sure there are many many loyal Sony Customers who have the same feelings as I do now.

I have every Sony console since the PS1… and many of its competitors too (Dreamcast, wii etc)

I have looked/ tried a number of times to buy a PS5… but have always been beaten by the bots and scalpers every time so I have just called it day.

And I have jumped ship to PC now… (luckily well before the scalpers also got started on the GPUs too) all I can say is wow… what I have been missing!… driving sims on the PC are so good!

Butl I can say is GT7 (whatever year it will come out) has gotta be really really good to make me actually want a PS5 in the future…. But I reckon I might just be ‘meh’

So Sony won’t be getting any game sales from me for a considerable period of time.. if ever again…

Feel your pain dude! I too have owned every PS console since the PS1 and my PS1 console came with Gran Turismo 1!

The online retailers can easily invest in programs of code, to prevent scalpers and bots from taking advantage of platforms like Ebay and GAME, AMAZON UK to name a few. Nobody should lose such an opportunity to put down there cold hard-earned cash on a item of purchase.

Even when GT7 is released and more good titles come out for the PS5, whats stopping further scalpers and bots to gobble up those titles and sell them at markup for ridiculous money for say a special/first edition of GT7?

There should not necessarily be a law in place, but some action taken against scalpers and the usage of bots on online retail to reduce the disappointment of gamers so that we don't have to look back in 5-10 years time and say no action was taken to prevent this. :ouch::grumpy:

I'd approximate that 75% of initial purchases were by scalpers, at least.

Well done F(s)ony.
Sony doesn't sell the consoles to you. Sony sells consoles to retailers. The retailers sell the consoles to end consumers, and it's the retailers that have been failing over and over again to sell consoles to real people instead of scalping groups and bots.

Sure, we can let Sony know we're pissed that they're selling consoles to retailers who don't make much (or any) effort to sell to humans, but ultimately it's not their fault and not much will change the high value international agreements they have with retailers - like Amazon who sell in multiple territories.

Some retailers have been making some effort, but others have been making none. In the UK Game did okay (although the site was frustrating), while Argos, Very, and Currys did **** all. I managed to buy the second one (daughter's 20th birthday gift) through Smyths eventually, and their defence against bots seemed to be making the site as **** as possible.

Sony could force the issue though and they know it . All Sony would have to do is threaten to not ship to retailers who dont put in anti bot measures .

Im in a town of around 100,000 people ,and none the stores here are stocking ps5 in store , its all online ordering , and its the same person who seems to be getting them all and selling for 1000.00 a piece .

Complete joke

Sony could force the issue though and they know it . All Sony would have to do is threaten to not ship to retailers who dont put in anti bot measures .

Complete joke

What anti bot measures would those be then ? bots can manage a lot of stuff, even captchas - https://www.anura.io/blog/captcha-and-recaptcha-how-can-you-bypass-it

Like it or not, it is not cost efficient for retailers to spend large amounts of money for once in a generation events, if PS6 comes out in say 2027-2028 time frame anything they put together in 2020-2021 to protect from bots would likely be inadequate or incompatible with the current tech. In the intervening period it will just sit there not being used because there is no need for it.

Aside from that, if Sony forced retailers to try and do something, the retailers probably just won't bother - the money they'd earn from selling the machines would be totally outweighed by their expenditure.
That leaves Sony having to either fund the measures themselves or set up retail operations & logistics in every country, which will have a direct impact on price of the machines and a massive headache for Sony.

Basically, its not worth anyones time.

I've seen many posts suggestng some sort of qualifying criteria for permitting purchase, those don't work either.

The problem boils down to impatience.
If everyone who couldn't get hold of a machine at launch didn't buy from scalpers they wouldn't be able to command the price they do.
At the same time, if scalpers weren't as greedy for money, then the whole situation wouldn't arise.

Those that weren't able to secure one and have held out against scalpers are doing the right thing, but don't let your impatience turn to anger, doesn't achieve anything.

Those that weren't able to secure one and have held out against scalpers are doing the right thing, but don't let your impatience turn to anger, doesn't achieve anything.

@DriveSpark that’s my thought entirely too... and now to be fair I’m actually past caring really... the ‘itch’ has gone as it were.

I do feel really sorry for those parents on the receiving end of a youngster demanding one for xmas or birthdays though, I can only imagine the grief to be had there.

Luckily I am well past those days now... with Grandkids etc.... so I’m not really Sony’s core market age anyway (I was though when the PS1 came out!)

Maybe if they (PD) ‘rush’ to get GT7 out at some point in 2022 I will have another look again... but I will need to see totally AMAZING reviews for GT7 before I even think about bothering to even enter the search for a PS5 again.

I just happened to be right place, right time and got one from Amazon. I don't realy see any difference in GT Sport from base PS4. Aside from loading times there is a small improvement in one or two PS4 games I have but its not night and day.

As always with console releases it will be the end of this year/next year where we see the real potential start to be used properly. I still don't really understand why every console release isn't backed by a strong game lineup as it releases - PS3, 4 and now 5 have been the same and I don't think Xbox have done it much better over the years either.

Imagine how many they could have sold if they actually had stock in stores! :eek: ;) :lol:
Same thing I was about to say. Still anxiously waiting to get one available (not at scalpers prices though). I thought by now they would have been restocked but apparently not.

Same thing I was about to say. Still anxiously waiting to get one available (not at scalpers prices though). I thought by now they would have been restocked but apparently not.
You will get one soon David, you just got keep a look out every day at the online stores. When I got mine early this year at a Big W store, and in 5 minutes they were all gone, so you just got to be at the right place at the right time.

As bad as the PS5 situation is, at least they had a good amount of consoles available and it seems like there are still some waves of shipments. The PC graphics card situation seems worse, and I probably won't be getting a graphics card until 1 or 2 years later unless I buy a PC with the graphics card included but those prices are inflated as well.

For UK folk:

I got mine from amazon. I was running an app called "hotstock" (android, dont know if there is a ios version). This app gave me notifications, but usually late - as in stock ran out or the retailer website was unusable by the time I got to it. However, this one time it worked and I was able to order from amazon.

Also, when he is running, try this guys video feed -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDI7KgDuFZsIrTvQZZXnD6w he has a klaxon that goes off when amazon (possibly others) have stock, it was going off as I ordered mine.

I didn't realize they had the better part of 5 million produced at release, but I'm still amazed they were even able to produce as many as they have since then with then ongoing chip shortage.

The problem you have with Sony isn't in their control. It's not Sony's fault that the unexpected pandemic has effected the production of microchips.

Same with Microsoft, Nvidia etc. They'd love to sell more products but they have their hands tied.

It really doesn't bother me that much. There's no killer games on launch so I can wait until the games are produced and the availablity is there.

Good job on getting a PC though. That's a much better choice right at this moment. Loads of options when the new consoles are just getting warmed up.

I'm holding out for the gt7 PlayStation pack
I waited to get a PS4 until GT Sport, and got the GT edition PS4. Probably do the same again with the PS5, as there is not much else I would use a PS5 for. :rolleyes:

Good thing about that is that PS5 shortages mean nothing to me. :)

Good thing about that is that PS5 shortages mean nothing to me. :)[/QUOTE]
Yes GT7 will prob land in 2022 or 2023 going by PD track record, a shame I kinda hoped the outsourcing would of speeded things up a little, fingers crossed we hear somting.

I just happened to be right place, right time and got one from Amazon. I don't realy see any difference in GT Sport from base PS4. Aside from loading times there is a small improvement in one or two PS4 games I have but its not night and day.

The loading times in GT Sport are massively improved for me! Although that might have been because my PS4 was getting very old...

Back