PlayStation 5 Release Date and Price Officially Announced

- The R1 button on my controller got a bit sticky for a while but seems to have cleared itself up. Minor thing, but thought worth mentioning in case anyone else has something similar.
Just on the controller, does your controller feel kind of slippery in the hand? To me it does and I'm not sure why. I'm also having a slight issue with getting used to the X and [] positioning. The X button seems far too close so I'm having to use the end part of my thumb as a rocker to use both buttons (if that makes sense). Not a huge issue so far but something I thought I'd mention.
I think I managed to bag one thats scheduled to be shipped out in mid to late December... It's odd though, what happened was that on launch day, a few Australian outlets had the opportunity to put a few more up for grabs. Of course, literally every store was bereft of stock within 5 minutes, and I tried to get one but the two websites I tried were just unresponsive due to traffic.

About an hour and a half later, on a whim I decided to check amazon and found that I was able to order one! So I did, and I got a confirmation email from them, and an order ticket and everything, only to find out that amazon had put their stock up for grabs at the same time as the others and had also sold out almost immediately.

So I'm like, how the heck did I manage to snag one an hour and a half late? Everyone reported that the listing on amazon had immediately disappeared when they ran out of stock, but I found it up an hour and a half later? It's definitely the official amazon Australia seller, and I have an order confirmation on my amazon account. But they also haven't charged me yet. Very confusing...
After I left JB Hifi yesterday there was one PS5 at the store to purchase. They'd put two down for me, but I'd only purchased one (in my name) and put my wife's name down as the one to collect it. Somehow they messed this up and it caused all sorts of confusion that left us standing there for about what seemed like half an hour waiting for them to sort it out. After running out of patience we told them to just give us one as that's all we had ordered and sort out it later. They finally agreed.

I suppose this sort of thing happens everywhere creating these spare launch day consoles.

To anyone contemplating shifting there game data via Wi-Fi a quick heads up, don't. I transferred just over 200gb and it took 14 hours. It would have been far quicker for me to transfer my PS 4 console based games to my external hard drive and then import the ones I wanted on to the PS5 to make use of the faster loading times. Lesson learned :dopey:

Just on the controller, does your controller feel kind of slippery in the hand? To me it does and I'm not sure why. I'm also having a slight issue with getting used to the X and [] positioning. The X button seems far too close so I'm having to use the end part of my thumb as a rocker to use both buttons (if that makes sense). Not a huge issue so far but something I thought I'd mention.

A little slippery, and the shape takes a little bit to get used too. I know what you mean with the button layouts, I don’t think they’ve moved very much, but it is enough to throw off our (pretty highly tuned ;)) muscle memory.

Finally saw some activity on FedEx. PS5 should be here tomorrow by end of the day. A day late, but I guess it could have been a lot worse. Hope you all are enjoying it and hope no one gets a brick. Seems like there are a few people out there who have had it fail already.

I'll be setting it up in a few hours. Hoping no issues will manifest.

Looks like PS+ members can download Bugsnax for PS5. Pretty cool.

Think I'll have enough to do until Cyberpunk hits.

I'll be setting it up in a few hours. Hoping no issues will manifest.

Looks like PS+ members can download Bugsnax for PS5. Pretty cool.

Think I'll have enough to do until Cyberpunk hits.
Yeah, I have plenty to keep me busy for a month.
Spider-Man, Days Gone, God of War, Last Guardian, pCARS 3 running at 60 fps.
Quite a few PS+ collection games haven’t tried yet, so that helps.

Yeah, this thing is huge. Still getting used to how ridiculous this looks under the TV.

Downloaded Bugsnax, The Last Guardian, and Persona 5 off of PS+. I'm also interested in Shadow of War. Good thing I used the cloud upload for Wreckfest, because nothing was picked up off the USB drive back-up from the PS4. I sold my PS4 prior to getting the PS5.

Got mine yesterday and had a couple hours on it last night.
Thoughts (upgrading from PS3):
- It is huge, and heavy
- The fans is quiet, which is more than can be said of the disc drive spinning up to install sackboy
- the controller is pretty heavy too, but the haptics on it are amazing. The rumble is in so many zones and crazy sensitive. They managed to recreate the sensation of ice skating
- the button positioning will take some getting used to, especially the ancillary buttons which are nothing like the DS3
- I love it

Got mine yesterday and had a couple hours on it last night.
Thoughts (upgrading from PS3):
- It is huge, and heavy
- The fans is quiet, which is more than can be said of the disc drive spinning up to install sackboy
- the controller is pretty heavy too, but the haptics on it are amazing. The rumble is in so many zones and crazy sensitive. They managed to recreate the sensation of ice skating
- the button positioning will take some getting used to, especially the ancillary buttons which are nothing like the DS3
- I love it
Jumping from PS3 straight to this must be quite an upgrade!
Some people have been reporting some software issues with PS5, have you seen any bugs yet? Was there only just one system update so far?

Jumping from PS3 straight to this must be quite an upgrade!
Some people have been reporting some software issues with PS5, have you seen any bugs yet? Was there only just one system update so far?
Huge upgrade! Got a game library to keep me going for ever now.

Haven't seen any problems at all. Had a 868MB patch and a controller update but that was it. Download was light years quicker than the PS3 on the same WiFi network (actually further from the modem). Still getting used to the menu interface, but there is nothing wrong with it. Popping between Sackboy and Astro was super quick.

The interface and settings menus are somewhat similar to the PS4.

One thing I haven't figured out is if there is a disc icon somewhere. I let it install Spiderman during set up, and I couldn't figure out where to launch the game without going to notifications. No more disc launch icon?

The interface and settings menus are somewhat similar to the PS4.

One thing I haven't figured out is if there is a disc icon somewhere. I let it install Spiderman during set up, and I couldn't figure out where to launch the game without going to notifications. No more disc launch icon?
I think it just drops the game icon in the mix with your digital games (if nothing else, next to Astro's Playroom).

I think it just drops the game icon in the mix with your digital games (if nothing else, next to Astro's Playroom).

Seemed like it should be right up front, but it wasn't on the top bar. Game library is probably where I should have went.

Also, when I plug the controller into the computer to charge, it takes over as a speaker with no sound. I'm not seeing a way to fix that yet.

edit: Did anybody notice that GT7 is not included on the coming soon list that's in there? That was about expected.

Last edited:
Just got it! It is quite big, but that was expected. What I didn’t expect was a really short HDMI cable. It’s barely long enough to reach the console (since the ports on my TV are on the other side of where the space for the console is). I had to even change from the side port to a back port on the TV.

Another thing is the stand seems a bit wonky. Doesn’t seem to be securely attached (I have to use PS5 in horizontal orientation). Hopefully won’t have to use the back USB ports that much.

Didn’t turn it on just yet, will try around lunch time.

Another thing is the stand seems a bit wonky. Doesn’t seem to be securely attached (I have to use PS5 in horizontal orientation). Hopefully won’t have to use the back USB ports that much.

I noticed. It got dislodged when I was trying to place the console on the shelf. I'm not planning on moving it now, so it should be okay. It seems like the vertical position was the priority.

Ah, first world problems. It was nice to have a console that could stand horizontally out of the box.

I was surprised that despite having the little hooks on the stand, they don't actually grab the console in the upright position - the fins of the console point the wrong way. Not a big deal - mine is not going anywhere any very low risk of being bumped.

Had some time to play with the system and the games a bit. Tried out Astro Playroom and Spider-Man:MM. I think Astro is pretty cool and a great showcase for the controller and what is possible. A bit over the top sometimes, but impressive. Didn’t feel that much difference in Spider-Man’s controller implementation.

Graphically, Spider-Man looks really good in fidelity mode. I’ve watched enough videos of it that I wasn’t super impressed but it’s still early days and considering that it’s very nice and gameplay is solid, still need to get used to the controls as I’ve not played the original game. Look forward to try some of the PS4 games that should be now running locked 60 fps.

So far no issues (knocks on wood).

While rearranging my office setup, I noticed for the first time that the PS4 is the first left-handed PlayStation.

This will now bug me forever.

Last edited:
I don't have any money at all to devote towards the purchase of a PlayStation 5. While I have been seriously out of the loop, I have been wondering which PS5 I would get. I am the kind of person who prefers hard copies rather than digital-only material. So to that end, I fancy the non-digital version of the PS5. If I wanted the PS5 as a bargain price, I'd get the digital version. Then too... I don't really know about gaming in this day and age to really choose between one or the other.

If anyone cares to sway interest, set me straight on the PlayStation 5 for if/when I do decide to get a PS5?

[OMISSION] First right-handed PlayStation? I"m a rightie myself, so interesting factoid!

Last edited:
I don't have any money at all to devote towards the purchase of a PlayStation 5. While I have been seriously out of the loop, I have been wondering which PS5 I would get. I am the kind of person who prefers hard copies rather than digital-only material. So to that end, I fancy the non-digital version of the PS5. If I wanted the PS5 as a bargain price, I'd get the digital version. Then too... I don't really know about gaming in this day and age to really choose between one or the other.

If anyone cares to sway interest, set me straight on the PlayStation 5 for if/when I do decide to get a PS5?

[OMISSION] First right-handed PlayStation? I"m a rightie myself, so interesting factoid!
I’d say if you have no PS4 disk games that you want to play on PS5, get digital (if you can find it - quantities are extremely limited as Sony is losing a lot of money in it). Otherwise get disk version. I only got disk cause digital supply was much shorter than disk (and even that runs out of stock in a blink of an eye). I almost never buy disk versions these days as you have to download patches anyway and you have to play off of internal storage, so disk is only good for someone who likes to collect but for anyone else it’s more a bother than anything else since you have to swap out disks to play games.

While rearranging my office setup, I noticed for the first time that the PS5 is the first right-handed PlayStation.

This will now bug me forever.
:confused: Maybe I'm dim, but how can a console be 'handed', one way or the other? :boggled:

:confused: Maybe I'm dim, but how can a console be 'handed', one way or the other? :boggled:
Actually I typed that the PS5 is the first right-handed one, but I meant PS4 is the only left-handed one.

When you stand the consoles upright. the PS2, PS2 slim, PS3 fat, PS3 slim, PS3 superslim, and PS5 all have the logo on their right (the left as you look at them), and when you lay them horizontal, you lay them down to the right. The PS4 is the other way round. For illustration:

20201121_201729.jpg

Last edited:
Actually I typed that the PS5 is the first right-handed one, but I meant PS4 is the only left-handed one.

When you stand the consoles upright. the PS2, PS2 slim, PS3 fat, PS3 slim, PS3 superslim, and PS5 all have the logo on their right (the left as you look at them), and when you lay them horizontal, you lay them down to the right. The PS4 is the other way round. For illustration:

View attachment 973255
Ah, OK, thanks for more explanation and the picture. 👍

I generally have the consoles horizontal, so I was trying to work it out that way. :boggled: I thought you may have meant where the disc drive is, because disc drive in the PS4 I have, the same as yours, the disc is on the left, and the disc on the PS5 is on the left when horizontal, but on the PS2's and PS3's the disc drives are on the right. ;)

@Famine -- I had figured you were talking about the relation between the (intended) vertical orientation of the console and the orientation of discs to be inserted. Disc label to the left would be left-handed. I suppose that would make the PS4 the only right-handed one.

At any rate, as a righty, it feels "left-handed" to me to insert discs into a vertically-placed console with the disc label on the left. I think I've always seated/inserted the disc with my left hand in that case.

I just found out that amazons official store never charges for an item until it ships, and amazon hasn’t cancelled my order yet. So, hopefully I’m in the clear and I will have a shiny new ps5 in my room before the year is out :D

So far a lot of outlets are showing that by-and-large, the PS5 is actually out-powering the XSX in a lot of direct comparisons. I kind of expected it to be pretty close, and a lot closer than PS4 vs XBone ever was, but I certainly wasn't expecting it to outpace the XSX. The most interesting example being Assassins creed, which is running at both higher frame rates and higher resolutions on average with the PS5, despite Microsoft pushing it as an Xbox title. Weird...

I just found out that amazons official store never charges for an item until it ships, and amazon hasn’t cancelled my order yet. So, hopefully I’m in the clear and I will have a shiny new ps5 in my room before the year is out :D

So far a lot of outlets are showing that by-and-large, the PS5 is actually out-powering the XSX in a lot of direct comparisons. I kind of expected it to be pretty close, and a lot closer than PS4 vs XBone ever was, but I certainly wasn't expecting it to outpace the XSX. The most interesting example being Assassins creed, which is running at both higher frame rates and higher resolutions on average with the PS5, despite Microsoft pushing it as an Xbox title. Weird...
Yeah, it is weird. There are some theories: Xbox tools are so new that devs didn’t get the most out of console yet, multiple CUs are harder to use than fewer CUs with higher speed in PS5, probably some other I’m forgetting. I selfishly hope that this trend continues into the future. No matter what though, Sony’s first party games will look and run great, that’s one bet I’m willing to make.

Yeah, it is weird. There are some theories: Xbox tools are so new that devs didn’t get the most out of console yet, multiple CUs are harder to use than fewer CUs with higher speed in PS5, probably some other I’m forgetting. I selfishly hope that this trend continues into the future. No matter what though, Sony’s first party games will look and run great, that’s one bet I’m willing to make.
Thats the thing. I think even with the differences, neither console this generation are going to feel like an inferior experience at all, whereas the XBone definitely started to peter out after a few years, with considerably lower frame rates and resolutions. I don’t think anything like that will happen this time around. I think the first party games will be largely comparable, with artistry being more of the deciding factor than power.

Thats kinda why i so much prefer the PS5. It feels like Sony realised that diminishing returns would make power jumps go under-appreciated, so they focused on increasing immersion in other ways, that you simply cant get anywhere else. XSX is like a budget PC, and PS5 feels like a true gaming console, offering a different experience entirely.

On another note, I still really like the Series S, however not as much as I did...
It initially was presented as if it were 90% the experience at 60% of the price, but I feel like its nothing close to that in reality. I think Digital Foundry said it best: theres nothing wrong with a 1080p console which doesn't always deliver the best graphical prowess, as long as you don’t market it as if it does.

To anyone contemplating shifting there game data via Wi-Fi a quick heads up, don't. I transferred just over 200gb and it took 14 hours. It would have been far quicker for me to transfer my PS 4 console based games to my external hard drive and then import the ones I wanted on to the PS5 to make use of the faster loading times. Lesson learned :dopey:

I had the same issue. To add to this, a lan cable between consoles also resolves the problem too. My copy of gta 5 kept erroring out too so had to install from disc and get the updates again. If you find errors with transfer best to try one game at a time.

Back