PlayStation 5 Release Date and Price Officially Announced

I'm done with disc games as much as I love physical media...it's time now, that and i'm done with "insert disk" then "downloading 95gb update file" just...nah, done. CD keys are always cheaper than disks, with internet getting faster, 4k streaming getting better and higher quality, access getting faster and easy even for global releases absolutely digital version for me. The whole trade/sell thing is moot as well because with account sharing and access anyone can play anything anywhere, especially with regards to how powerful streaming is going to get, Xcloud is incredible even on 4G speeds, hoping Sony consider something similar soon. Just my two cents but wow £349 for 4k/8k content at silly frame rates with bundles of horsepower...fantastic. What a world we live in.

Last edited:
Ah, but which PS5...?

The digital version could be $399 and the pregnant one $449/$499 and you'd both be "right" with your numbers 💡

Incidentally, that's exactly what my guess would be.

Assuming everything else is the same, the disc drive delete is probably no more than £25.

Latest leak from Spain aligns with French Amazon leak. Pegging the PS5 at €499 and the PS5 Digital at €399. If they price across the globe the same as MS have and previous consoles seem to have then that should translate to €499/$499/£449 and €399/$399/£349 respectively. Matching the Series X pricing on the main console and coming in about €£$100 more than the S on the digital variants, albeit without sacrificing power.

Be interesting to see tomorrow if these ring true. If they are, I'll be down for a digital model.

I can't imagine Sony would save us $100 for a DO version. I bet they'll be the same price.

Jerome

@AudiMan2011 just to mention one of the UK prices is wrong in your article - it should say £359, not £349 👍

And after all the guessing about prices beforehand, the leaks were basically spot on (other than the rather odd £10 difference) and the price difference is also the bigger amount of $100/€100 (but £90 not £100 harumph)

Good news! I was wrong! :lol:

$400 is a steal, gotta be a loss leader for sure, right?

Jerome

£360? I could trade my PS4 in for it.

This is likely what I'll end up doing, I just got a 4k TV so the timing couldn't be better. Then I'll get a Series X on All Access to give me a 4K disc drive and Game Pass Ultimate which I can also use on my PC. It's a great time for gaming!

$700-ish for the disc model for folks who have over priced internet from a mobile device and $100 a game. Shouldn't be a problem when I get my cult up and running.

So my local gamestops have already sold out of pre-orders within 1 hour.
Best buy has an option but will have to move fast to get it.

Talk about not even getting any notice it just opened up.

PLAYSTATION BABY!!!!!

I think for what you get the price is a steal. If you make a PC with PS5 specs it’s probably double the price. 825GB SSD is a bit of a shame as most game are going to be 150 GB plus. Getting those SSD memories are gonna be expensive I think. The price for the headset and DS5 I think are a good price. I’m very excited!

Definitely disc version, but I'll wait till GT7 comes out. My PS4 Pro is still working.
Yet another problem (only for me) is that I have no idea if the mainland China version will support accounts of other locations (i.e. HK, JP, DE, etc.), neither do I know when it will come out, as we're not part of "rest of the world", if you read the release date very carefully.

Got mine. Went for disc version since it was the only one remaining at The Source in our area otherwise it'd have been Digital. 625$ here in Canada for disc version.

Latest Posts

Back