PlayStation 5 Release Date and Price Officially Announced

I'm going for the disc version. My internet isn't stable enough at times anyways, and if it's like PS4. Unless they figure out a different system with Primary console and non primary. I lose access to my digital games if my console isn't set to primary, because I have it set on my nephews or something.

Edit: After 2 1/2 hours on Best Buy's Website. I was finally able preorder a PS5 disc version. Hopefully they don't cancel it on me or something. Used pick up at store option, since I can get it quicker than it would to get shipped to my house.

Last edited:
Cheap consoles nowadays.....compared to the past...

playstation price.jpg
playstation2.jpg

They may not have shown GT because racing is niche but who knows when it will release :S!

PLAYSTATION BABY!!!!!

I think for what you get the price is a steal. If you make a PC with PS5 specs it’s probably double the price. 825GB SSD is a bit of a shame as most game are going to be 150 GB plus. Getting those SSD memories are gonna be expensive I think. The price for the headset and DS5 I think are a good price. I’m very excited!

They may not be. Unless I've misheard something but I swear they said they only need 1 asset now rather than repeated assets? So if you have 1 billboard in GT that has to be repeated 1,000 times if you want to show it 1,000 times you had to have it stored as an individual item 1,000 times on the PS4, but now they only have to store it once?

I may have misinterpreted that though? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please :D!

I won’t get ps5 until next year, but i guess the price in sweden will be higher than many other contries.
Might be worth to get digital version, as i only buy digital games

Did you noticed? Games fo 80Euro...
Which is equivalent to $95. Not sure how they came up with this difference in prices for regions but this is a huge difference. Which will probably mean some new "us" accounts.

Will wait for some six months after release. I will be waiting for the newer 48 OLEDs anyway, so no rush for now.

Digital for me, discs are a waste of space and I can download games relatively quickly anyway. I'm expecting games to go up by 10 bucks or so this gen.

Best Buy is having some other bundles being added.
I can view on mobile but not desktop.

From bundles with digital and cards
Standard and headset.
standard and controller and base.
So I know where I am going.

Managed to get my pre-order in with Amazon, for the disk version. Checked back 5 minutes later, and it's now unavailable!

Happy days!

Managed to order a disc version from Game in the UK last night. Website is down this morning!

Can't wait for GT7!!

Glad i went for the disc with it's increased value in playing PS4 games. Especially seeing how dear the games are going to be :eek:.

The PS plus collection looks good too.

The problem I'm seeing with the digital console is the game prices. As @MroczMR pointed out. Although the RRP guide is $50-80. Everywhere I'm seeing in the UK is £70, the upper price point. Digital editions will likely follow that trend despite unless they finally decide to pass on the discount of not having to making discs which won't happen.

Just means by the time you've laid down £360 for the console and 2 games, you're at £500. Vs £450 on the equivalent PS4 Pro launch. Discs will at least give flexibility in terms of trade in, pre owned etc.

I'll opt for the disk version when i eventually buy one - which won't be until there's a must-have game available.

I wonder how the backwards compatibility will work with PS4 games you download from the PS Store? - i assume that if you are using the same account you can just download them again to the PS5's SSD.

I don't have too many PS4 titles but a majority of those are digital. I'm constantly having to delete games i no longer play due to running out of space - and that's on a 1TB PS4 Pro. That 825GB SSD on the PS5 is going to run out of room real quick :nervous: - i can't see average file sizes for games and their save files being any smaller, if anything they'll get bigger. I can see this becoming an issue for many.

They may not have shown GT because racing is niche but who knows when it will release :S!

Sim racing could be considered niche but racing games on the whole definitely aren't.

Gran Turismo is one of Sony's biggest, longest running IPs. Sold over 85 million games and still going. Plus its fanbase is so broad as its one of the original and best console racing games. Its absence from this showcase is odd.

I just hope that it's bigger fanbase hasn't had its excitement dulled by GTS. And that the desire for a proper Gran Turismo is still strong.

Well I was up early today but I managed to miss the initial stock levels of the PS5 on Amazon UK, Game UK etc so I guess I am not going to
be able to manage to get one for launch day.

Guess it will be lots of refreshing the pages to see if new stock becomes available as I don't live close enough to a store to go in and collect...ah well,
wish me success in the challenge to get one for launch day!

Well I was up early today but I managed to miss the initial stock levels of the PS5 on Amazon UK, Game UK etc so I guess I am not going to
be able to manage to get one for launch day.

Guess it will be lots of refreshing the pages to see if new stock becomes available as I don't live close enough to a store to go in and collect...ah well,
wish me success in the challenge to get one for launch day!

Do you have Argos where you are? If so, they aren't taking pre-orders until tomorrow, so keep an eye out there

80€ vs 70$ is crazy.

Think I'm gonna buy my singleplayer games with a US account.

The problem I'm seeing with the digital console is the game prices. As @MroczMR pointed out. Although the RRP guide is $50-80. Everywhere I'm seeing in the UK is £70, the upper price point. Digital editions will likely follow that trend despite unless they finally decide to pass on the discount of not having to making discs which won't happen.

Just means by the time you've laid down £360 for the console and 2 games, you're at £500. Vs £450 on the equivalent PS4 Pro launch. Discs will at least give flexibility in terms of trade in, pre owned etc.

Indeed. A £15 price hike on RRP is pretty steep. Not that I ever paid £55 for a PS4 game mind you, but it just means prices are going to take a lot longer to come down to reasonable levels. I'm too old with too many games to play and not enough time to be buying games on launch day any more, so I haven't paid more than £30 for a game since PS3 days.

Still, with about 50 PS4 games I still want to play I won't be needing a PS5 for a couple of years at least, by which time prices should have hopefully come down.

Do you have Argos where you are? If so, they aren't taking pre-orders until tomorrow, so keep an eye out there

Yes I will be trying Argos a bit later to see if I can snag one for collection on release day, I am also having to buy the disc version since I will need it for HD/Blu Ray player let's hope I can snag one!

I managed to get a pre-order on the Digital Edition on Amazon, it went live just as a work video meeting I was in ended so everyone left the meeting just as I shouted "DIGITAL PRE ORDERS ON AMAZON" :lol:

I do not fully understand the digital version. I do understand that it comes without an optical drive. But what exactly do I need in terms of online stuff?

Can I buy a game online in the PS store and then go offline to play it? If instead all games are online-only, do I need a PS+ subscription (given that I do not want to race online)?

I do not fully understand the digital version. I do understand that it comes without an optical drive. But what exactly do I need in terms of online stuff?

Can I buy a game online in the PS store and then go offline to play it? If instead all games are online-only, do I need a PS+ subscription (given that I do not want to race online)?

I think the PS+ is only needed if you are playing an online game - as in against other humanoids. If you've just downloaded a digital game from the store you can still play without the subscription.

However, you usually get two free games a month with PS+ so its worth it for that, even if like me you maybe download perhaps just one of those titles every other month on average.

If it works the same as the PS4 then you can go offline to play your digital games providing you have the console set as your "Primary Console". Digital games are just like disc games but the delivery method is different; both will still get installed to your console hard drive. The advantage of disc is that install times are quicker if you have a slow connection, and you can sell games once you've finished with them as well as buying pre-owned copies.

You will only need a PS+ subscription if you intend to play a game with real time player interaction online. If you don't intend to play multiplayer online you don't need a PS+ subscription. For PS5 PS+ will come with a whole heap of PS4 games you can play under the new "PS Plus Collection" feature.

I wonder how the backwards compatibility will work with PS4 games you download from the PS Store? - i assume that if you are using the same account you can just download them again to the PS5's SSD.

As far as I know the backwards compatibilty on digital games is limited to the recent games that are advertising a free PS5 upgrade.
Otherwise it's only disc-based PS4 games that you can play at no extra cost.

That's the main reason I went for the disc version. Plus the flexibility of buying future games.

Also, don't disc based games take up a little less room that digital only? Space is going to be very valuable!

Back