PlayStation 5 Release Date and Price Officially Announced

Everywhere I'm seeing in the UK is £70, the upper price point. Digital editions will likely follow that trend despite unless they finally decide to pass on the discount of not having to making discs which won't happen.

The digital download games I bought for the PS4 were all at least £5 more expensive than they were in my local Tesco store. It's not massive but I'd rather be able to take advantage of retailers competing on price than just having to pay what ever price PSN charges for it.

The market price of buying a new game is what it is irrespective of the production cost. With only one source for the digital game there's no competition that brings the price down. The faster they kill off the disc versions the sooner the second hand market dies and the sooner they control all pricing. Since I only buy a handful of games for each console its not the end of the world for me, but generally speaking I'm not sure it's best for the consumer.

At £70 a game I simply won't be making impulse buys, for context; that reduces the number of games I'd have for the PS4, from 8 to 2-3. I don't begrudge £70 for a top title that will deliver hundreds of hours of entertainment, but if that's the price on the store for the smaller games, I'm out.

Also, don't disc based games take up a little less room that digital only? Space is going to be very valuable!

It varies.

COD is one that it doesn't matter if it's digital or not still have to download all 100+ GB.

But normally yes it should be disc versions should take less.

As far as I know the backwards compatibilty on digital games is limited to the recent games that are advertising a free PS5 upgrade.
Otherwise it's only disc-based PS4 games that you can play at no extra cost.

Sony haven't confirmed how backwards compatibility will work yet. The games that are advertising a free PS5 upgrade won't be the only ones offering it though, they have said that "99% of the thousands of PS4 titles" that Sony have tested work on PS5.

Also, don't disc based games take up a little less room that digital only? Space is going to be very valuable!

If you're talking full titles and not games that install an initial front end and then require you to get a 100GB update, then disc games are still fully installed to the HDD of the console. If there is a difference it is so small that you won't notice it and as soon as you patch the game that will be negated anyway.

Patching is a bit of an issue on PS4 as it happens; in order to update a title you're required to have essentially double the storage actually required for the update which is a huge cause of frustration for large games like CoD.

The digital download games I bought for the PS4 were all at least £5 more expensive than they were in my local Tesco store.

If you buy store credit on places like CDKeys you can usually save more than that £5 fairly easily.

If you buy store credit on places like CDKeys you can usually save more than that £5 fairly easily.

Not that I'm a fan of Tesco, but I do like to try and support business in the local area if possible, sadly that pretty much only leaves Argos and Tesco where I live these days, and I think Argos is shutting.

I haven't pre ordered yet nor do i plan to buy a new console anytime soon but if i would pick, i would go for the Disc version due to my slow unstable internet, able to buy/borrow games from my friends & shops and that i'm just an old school fart who likes to display those plastic cases on his shelf.

Speaking of which, my local PS Store prices on AAA titles are never fixed to one but instead either $55, $60 or $63 for standard releases ignoring taxes. Deluxe editions are overpriced over the US Stores. I sometimes buy my games/DLC's from my US account due to cheaper prices and better discounts.

Pre orders haven't begun yet locally but i suspect it will be more than the $400-500 mark due to mark ups by the local Sony store agent, Ashraf.

I'm on my way to a store to see if I can get a pre order. Amazon was out of stock. Will try Saturn first, then Gamestop and then MediaMarkt.

I'm not optimistic though.

I think the PS+ is only needed if you are playing an online game - as in against other humanoids. If you've just downloaded a digital game from the store you can still play without the subscription.

However, you usually get two free games a month with PS+ so its worth it for that, even if like me you maybe download perhaps just one of those titles every other month on average.

If it works the same as the PS4 then you can go offline to play your digital games providing you have the console set as your "Primary Console". Digital games are just like disc games but the delivery method is different; both will still get installed to your console hard drive. The advantage of disc is that install times are quicker if you have a slow connection, and you can sell games once you've finished with them as well as buying pre-owned copies.

You will only need a PS+ subscription if you intend to play a game with real time player interaction online. If you don't intend to play multiplayer online you don't need a PS+ subscription. For PS5 PS+ will come with a whole heap of PS4 games you can play under the new "PS Plus Collection" feature.
I understand now, thanks to both of you for explaining it in detail!

IMO PS5 is the only ugly PS console. I prefer Xbox series design although the internal storage replacement system could be a disappointment as Xbox One S/X. I hope the second version will be changed a lot.

Well I managed to get a Pre-order for the digital edition console to go through on Game UK so I guess I will keep the PS4 I have for watching BluRay DVD/HD and the Ps5 digital for game downloads and purchases.

Might be more expensive in the long run when it comes to games but I have the console and got launch day off work so I can go collect it from my local GAME store.

I'm happy! 👍

I'll be buying the disc version. Though all the games I purchase over the last two years or so are digital from the PS store (just more instant and convenient for me) I prefer to have DVD player also because I have a nice collection of concerts etc on DVD so it doubles as a DVD player for me should I wish to watch and the DVD player on PS console is top notch so it's a Win-Win. I could live with the $499 USD which I think is a fair price (and what I was hoping it would've been) for what you're getting. I just can't wait to get my new powerful PS5. Good times.

IMO PS5 is the only ugly PS console. I prefer Xbox series design although the internal storage replacement system could be a disappointment as Xbox One S/X. I hope the second version will be changed a lot.
You really find so? I love the new design. I think it's sleek and beautiful. To me it's like a work of art.

I don't necessarily think it's ugly but I don't think it's going to age well, not exactly clean and minimalistic. It's not that different to the future concepts people were designing in 2000.

Placed a pre-order for the standard edition + Demon's Souls + Spider Man MM at Gamestop but I know I won't pick it up day one cuz it was already sold out. Saturn wasn't taking pre-orders yet.

OG PS2 was horrible,PS5 digital looks pretty good to me,the disc edition is the weird one which might be on purpose,Sony would love if everyone buys the digital edition

OG PS2 was horrible,PS5 digital looks pretty good to me,the disc edition is the weird one which might be on purpose,Sony would love if everyone buys the digital edition

I don't think any console is particularly attractive per se. Just varying levels of inoffensive-ness. I find size to be one of the biggest factors as to whether consoles are deemed attractive.

That said the PS5 has got a brave design and they clearly designed it based on the criticism of previous gen Black boxes.

I hope this one has adequate ventilation and fans. My PS4 sounds like a damned broken chainsaw.
Could be your PS4 is going bad. Used to have the same problem also when my PS4 standard edition was failing. Bought a new PS4 Slim and problem solved. It's super quiet.

I'll pick one or the other PS5 from a shop. When it's out. Which is not now.

Don't know which I'll get but if I'm going to be watching movies I'd rather have a disc. The picture quality is better than streaming.

As for games, I've been digital only for a long time now. There are always sales on PSN. In fact I can't remember not finding a sale in place. Paying full price? Pre order for Resident Evil 2, No Mans Sky and Assetto Corso. Everything else was cheap in a sale.

This is probably the biggest blunder for most.
Since well they did say major retailers will start "today"
Yet they are already out.

Over 5,000 listings on eBay for pre-order ones. :banghead:
Like I mean come on.
Give the people that actually want one a chance and not one that is like you never know.

I hope this one has adequate ventilation and fans. My PS4 sounds like a damned broken chainsaw.
My two years old PS4 (Slim) was very-very quiet. Then came Ace Combat 7 and since then every "big" game turns my PS into a vacuum cleaner after 10-15 minutes.

I'll definitely go with the disc version, dont believe in being locked to psn prices with no completion.

I will also wait until xmas 2021 as I usually do to get one.
There should be a good game library by then and hopefully some good deals.

I have to say graphic wise the generation leaps are nowhere near as impressive as they were back in the day, makes it harder for me to get excited about next gen or maybe its because I'm old now lol

Sony haven't confirmed how backwards compatibility will work yet. The games that are advertising a free PS5 upgrade won't be the only ones offering it though, they have said that "99% of the thousands of PS4 titles" that Sony have tested work on PS5.
*Snip*
I may be wrong here, and clearly this is just my interpretation, but I think there is a difference and some confusion when people use the word 'upgrade' regarding backwards compatible titles.

As we know, it has been stated that something like 4000 PS4 titles have been/are being worked on so that the games play on a PS5 (using a DS4).
Lots of websites report that PS4 discs and digital downloads are compatible with the new console.
SONY themselves simply make the statement "Backwards compatibility - Play a back catalog of PS4™ games on your PS5 console", with no caveat.

However, for example, I can currently pre-order RIDE 4 for the PS4 or the PS5.
And in much the same way as some PS4 Pro game versions are enhanced over standard PS4 versions, PS5 versions are again even further enhanced.
So in this case, should I buy the PS4 version in Oct. instead of waiting for Jan., 'upgrading' would mean to the PS5 version, with all it's extra goodies.

Here SONY make this statement: "Upgrade may be offered at no additional cost or for a fee and may be available for a limited time. To upgrade eligible PS4 disc titles to digital PS5 versions, you need a PS5™ console with a disc drive."

As for the Ride 4 example, the developers say this: "Purchasing the PlayStation®4 version of the game, you will be able download the PS5™ version at no extra cost until April 30th, 2021, including all DLCs already purchased."

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is 'upgrading' and then there is 'upgrading'.
PS4 standard to enhanced PS4 Pro version, PS4 games enhanced on the PS5 console (but still PS4 games), and then literally upgrading a PS4 game to a PS5 version.
I get the feeling some people are confusing the BC capability with the actual upgrading of a game title, and whether that may or may not come at a cost.

Just adding my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
I'll definitely go with the disc version, dont believe in being locked to psn prices with no completion.

I will also wait until xmas 2021 as I usually do to get one.
There should be a good game library by then and hopefully some good deals.

I have to say graphic wise the generation leaps are nowhere near as impressive as they were back in the day, makes it harder for me to get excited about next gen or maybe its because I'm old now lol
I think graphics wise it’s going to be more about 4k 60 fps and ray tracing. Ray tracing is still new to developers, so not many games show the potential yet, but I imagine in 2-3 years we’ll have some impressive looking games. Look at how TLOU 2 looks on the base console as an example.

Unless you are buying an awful lot of newly released games on disk and then selling them on when you've done with them, i don't see the issue with PS Store prices verses supermarket discounts. You need to be buying a fair few disks at $5 - $10 cheaper than PS Store prices before you break even on that extra $100 you've invested in the full-fat PS5. I've been buying most of my games digitally from the store in the last couple of years, but have always waited for them to be discounted, which is usually within 3 to 6 months of first release.

They may not have shown GT because racing is niche but who knows when it will release :S!
With 8m+ sales for GT Sport I don't think racing is that 'niche'. ;)

The GT franchise being one of Sony's prime exclusive series makes the lack content in the event puzzling for me. All they had to do was show a different track, either old legacy, or something new, and maybe a new car, and the buzz continues. ;)

I won't be getting a PS5 until a GT game appears (if I have the money at that time), so I don't need to worry about console shortages at launch. ;) Though that probably means waiting till holidays 2021. :( :rolleyes: :banghead:

As for games, I've been digital only for a long time now. There are always sales on PSN. In fact I can't remember not finding a sale in place. Paying full price? Pre order for Resident Evil 2, No Mans Sky and Assetto Corso. Everything else was cheap in a sale.
I have to agree with this - I'm seeing a lot of people saying that they're spending more for digital, which doesn't make sense to me as this doesn't seem to be the case for me. At the very least, I'm saving around $5 a game, for full priced AAA games, since I'm not paying a tax when I game a from the storefronts, and at best, there's constant sales as well(just as much as physical sales, I feel.)

Back