PlayStation 5 Release Date and Price Officially Announced

A quick question for those of use in the UK that managed to get a pre-order in but more directed towards @Famine but anyone who ordered from Game UK had an email advising they might not get their pre-order until 2021?

Haven't received one myself but am preparing myself for some "disappointment"
Nothing here either.

Anyone find it odd that we haven't (as far as I know) seen a PS5 in the wild yet? Not in the hands of youtubers, reviewers, anyone... well apart from apparently Travis Scott who is clearly taking nonsense :lol:

This thing is arriving very soon, either Sony is super confident or suspiciously reluctant to do the usual marketing circuit. There are Series X's all over the place! It would be good to get many PS5 questions cleared up with some hand's on analysis.

Anyone find it odd that we haven't (as far as I know) seen a PS5 in the wild yet? Not in the hands of youtubers, reviewers, anyone... well apart from apparently Travis Scott who is clearly taking nonsense :lol:

This thing is arriving very soon, either Sony is super confident or suspiciously reluctant to do the usual marketing circuit. There are Series X's all over the place! It would be good to get many PS5 questions cleared up with some hand's on analysis.
Isn't it happening this Sunday? Japanese youtubers event is on the 4th:
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/jap...ps5-on-youtube-gaming-week-starting-october-4

Series X hands-on only happened this Monday.

Thanks for the heads up, it's about time someone outside of Sony sees the thing, interesting that they don't seem to be doing anything in the west though yet.
I have a feeling there will be others as well. Maybe not Sunday but some time next week. There is no official info yet, but I think it would make sense. The reason they focus on Japan first is maybe because west is already “in the bag” judging by the fact that some preorders are not going to be delivered until some time in 2021.

PSA for those planning to buy a PS5 to play upgraded PS4 versions of games: An increasing number of games will not be supporting game saves which can carry over cross-gen.

Somebody already shared the Codemasters news about no cross gen game saves. The free copy of the next gen game if you buy the game for this gen's console is great & might sell some copies. But to know that I have to listen to tutorials & other starter cut scenes twice might make some people decide to wait until they upgrade consoles. By then, those games could be in the bargain bin.

The Pathless has been revealed as a launch title. It's also coming out on ps4.

edit:

I kind of prefer the PS4 version.

Last edited:
So I don't know if there is an official guide or answer on this but what will the situation be for those of us buying the digital edition
of the PS5 software but have DISC based copies of the games on PS4.

Will I still get the free upgrade to PS5 edition on digital as I presume it will be looking at my Sony account overall and see I've played the game or do I have to have like for like I.e digital version of the PS4 game to get the upgrade for free?

Thanks in advance for any info!

So I don't know if there is an official guide or answer on this but what will the situation be for those of us buying the digital edition

Will I still get the free upgrade to PS5 edition on digital as I presume it will be looking at my Sony account overall and see I've played the game or do I have to have like for like I.e digital version of the PS4 game to get the upgrade for free?

As far as I know there is only a "handful" of games that will have free upgrades if you own a PS4 game to the PS5, other than that I don't see any other "upgrades" that will be done from disc version to digital version.

As far as I know there is only a "handful" of games that will have free upgrades if you own a PS4 game to the PS5, other than that I don't see any other "upgrades" that will be done from disc version to digital version.

Wasn't meaning actual upgrades, just will it still allow me the PS5 game if I own a disc based copy of the PS4 game...

Wasn't meaning actual upgrades, just will it still allow me the PS5 game if I own a disc based copy of the PS4 game...
As far as I know, it will not be playable on PS5. Think about it, anyone could play a disk based game on PS4, sell the disk, and then get the game for free on PS5.

Again a "handful" of games if you own will be upgraded to PS5 version. (I think both digital and disc but could be wrong)
One example is Borderlands 3 will get the upgrade, I think GTA 5 will too?

As far as I know, it will not be playable on PS5. Think about it, anyone could play a disk based game on PS4, sell the disk, and then get the game for free on PS5.

I believe this is true too.
That you have to own the disc for it to have the upgrade.
Basically it's a "patch" for those who have PS4 discs that want to play on 5.

Again a "handful" of games if you own will be upgraded to PS5 version. (I think both digital and disc but could be wrong)
One example is Borderlands 3 will get the upgrade, I think GTA 5 will too?

I believe this is true too.
That you have to own the disc for it to have the upgrade.
Basically it's a "patch" for those who have PS4 discs that want to play on 5.

Well I guess we will find out for sure next month or when the games release on the PS5, it's an interesting subject for me and I will report back on this after the games are released, the main 3 that I'll be affected by that I would love to play on PS5 are Borderlands 3, Cyberpunk 2077 and Elder Scrolls Online,

Well I guess we will find out for sure next month or when the games release on the PS5, it's an interesting subject for me and I will report back on this after the games are released, the main 3 that I'll be affected by that I would love to play on PS5 are Borderlands 3, Cyberpunk 2077 and Elder Scrolls Online,

Borderlands 3 is confirmed a free upgrade if you have it on PS4.
The others I have no idea.

Cyberpunk 2077 you can just pre-order digitally, so that should be fine (if you pre-ordered disk, just cancel it). The game is confirmed to be a free upgrade to next-gen.

Cyberpunk 2077 you can just pre-order digitally, so that should be fine (if you pre-ordered disk, just cancel it). The game is confirmed to be a free upgrade to next-gen.

Yeah I could do but I was kinda hoping to get the disc copy postcards of Night City that GAME are offering with the disc version of Cyberpunk, you don't happen to know if there's a digital version of the bonus items per chance as I can only see one version of Cyberpunk for pre-order on the store?

Yeah I could do but I was kinda hoping to get the disc copy postcards of Night City that GAME are offering with the disc version of Cyberpunk, you don't happen to know if there's a digital version of the bonus items per chance as I can only see one version of Cyberpunk for pre-order on the store?
I was thinking of physical at first too (since I do have a disk-based PS5), but decided on digital anyway. The map and postcards included are not that impressive and I know long term I will have no use for them. I suspect some items will be included in digital version, but don't know which.

BTW, you can see how the map and postcards look like here and decide if it's worth it to you. Like I said, I wouldn't bet on PS4 disk games transferring to digital PS5 (they can't even transfer saves, so....):
https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-full-map-leaked/

Another factor is that digital will allow me to play at the exact time the game launches, but disk will depend on when UPS driver decided to drop it off, which could be late in the day.

I was thinking of physical at first too (since I do have a disk-based PS5), but decided on digital anyway. The map and postcards included are not that impressive and I know long term I will have no use for them. I suspect some items will be included in digital version, but don't know which.

BTW, you can see how the map and postcards look like here and decide if it's worth it to you. Like I said, I wouldn't bet on PS4 disk games transferring to digital PS5 (they can't even transfer saves, so....):
https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-full-map-leaked/

Another factor is that digital will allow me to play at the exact time the game launches, but disk will depend on when UPS driver decided to drop it off, which could be late in the day.

I actually saw that article earlier so I will have a think about it, there is only £5 difference between digital and physical version of the game.

My PS4 doesn't "know" I own a disc version of a game so I can still buy the digital version. If I own the digital version, it knows and prevents me from being able to buy it. I doubt it will be any different on PS5. That's why I'm, probably, buying the version with a disc bay.

I'm not sure that having a game save of a certain PS4 game will allow you to download the PS5 upgrade. If this was the case then customers who have just borrowed a game from a friend would be able to download it and in effect get a game for free. Sony must have another way of establishing if you own a certain game. Perhaps a unique code within the box - like you get sometimes with Blu Ray films where you can use a code to download the digital version for free.

Wonder if that NVMe slot is where the SSD will be when we get it or if it's the extra storage we can have?
Only about 36 days till we find out.

it's very tidy inside! :eek:

So it looks as if those white outer panels are easy to change out. A 'black' PS5 is likely to just be a couple of sheets of plastic, rather than a whole console. I wonder if that access panel with the four circular holes (shown at 2:53) is where the SSD add-on is fitted?

This depends on the developer/publisher and how they are dealing with upgrades. The upgrade path I'm familiar with is if you have a disc copy of a game on PS4 and then receive a PS5 upgrade for digital for free you will still need to enter the PS4 disc to use the PS5 digital product. This stops people from buying a game on PS4 disc, getting the upgrade, then selling it.

EDIT: This isn't an official answer to anything

Last edited:
This depends on the developer/publisher and how they are dealing with upgrades. The upgrade path I'm familiar with is if you have a disc copy of a game on PS4 and then receive a PS5 upgrade for digital for free you will still need to enter the PS4 disc to use the PS5 digital product. This stops people from buying a game on PS4 disc, getting the upgrade, then selling it.

This makes perfect sense though I have since found that my problemo she is solved as I bought Borderlands 3 digital and have found that I have a digital edition download of original Elder Scrolls Online so I guess all I need to do is cancel my disc copy of Cyberpunk 2077 and buy digital and then I can play them all on PS5.

The other game GTA Online standalone is free for first three months of PS5 when it gets released if R* stick to their newswire so that means I am all set to go as I will just have to bite the bullet and remember to buy everything digital now when good sales are on etc and Pre-Order only games I am 100% committed to.

Back