PlayStation 5 Release Date and Price Officially Announced

it's very tidy inside! :eek:

So it looks as if those white outer panels are easy to change out. A 'black' PS5 is likely to just be a couple of sheets of plastic, rather than a whole console.

We'll probably also get third party options. I might consider changing the white covers out if it's not too much money, but I'm guessing they will charge a bit for them.

I figured the cooling design was the majority of the space inside. PS5 doesn't look like it will have cooling issues, but only time will tell.

I wonder if that access panel with the four circular holes (shown at 2:53) is where the SSD add-on is fitted?

That's what it seems like.

I'm very excited for the customisation options that are likely to pop-up with those covers being so easy to remove. If replacements become available I might have a go at creating some based on the original PlayStation.

Not a big problem but the extra storage slot could be placed better. You need to remove the base support, than the side panel and than the slot cover to get access. Also a similar procedure everytime you want to clean the dust. Not a big fan of that decision.

Not a big problem but the extra storage slot could be placed better. You need to remove the base support, than the side panel and than the slot cover to get access. Also a similar procedure everytime you want to clean the dust. Not a big fan of that decision.
I like that Sony are mentioning dust, and showing how easy it is to potentially clean. There will be a lot of air moving through these consoles. Not sure Microsoft have mentioned that being a possible issue down the line, never mind an easy way to clean it. :confused:

I like that Sony are mentioning dust, and showing how easy it is to potentially clean. There will be a lot of air moving through these consoles. Not sure Microsoft have mentioned that being a possible issue down the line, never mind an easy way to clean it. :confused:
It's a box with big holes on the back and top. And the vent is on top. How hard is it to clean? PS5 have such a weird ventilation system. And I won't call it easy when I need to remove so many parts just to clean the exterior.

Most people won't clean be cleaning out their consoles. It might not be the easiest solution, but it's not exactly complex to gain access for cleaning when you have to do it. You just have to take off the two covers. Actually, it seems kind of simple.

How hard is it for people to put a dust cover on their console? Really? It is a total none issue for anyone with a basic understanding of dust and an electric device.

It's a box with big holes on the back and top. And the vent is on top. How hard is it to clean? PS5 have such a weird ventilation system. And I won't call it easy when I need to remove so many parts just to clean the exterior.
Considering, as far as I know, nobody has yet taken a XBoxSX/XBoxSS apart in the wild, we don't know how hard it is to open up to clean if need be. Yes, they had some YouTubers take an already open and disassembled XBoxSX apart, but I'm not sure it was clear how the case opens. I have seen those people slide the case over the reassembled parts, but then I have seen pictures of the case open side on showing the insides. Will the user have easy access to either option! Console manufacturers have not been keen on users having too much access to the insides, understandably so, maybe enabling a slot to be opened to addchange a HDD/SSD. As far as I know, no manufacturer has even addressed the dust problem, which affects every console with a fan to a lesser or greater degree depending on the location it is used in, never mind making it easy for users to address any problems.

It has to be said, like the chaperoned XBoxSX case openings, I think the removing of screws and clips was not shown. Indeed, the XBoxSx was presented as a puzzle of parts for people to put back together. The first step of taking the sides off the PS5 seemed to show how easy that will be, and beyond opening the slot for adding a SSD, that will be as far as they will want people to go.

How hard is it for people to put a dust cover on their console? Really? It is a total none issue for anyone with a basic understanding of dust and an electric device.
But the vast majority don't. They find a place around the TV and that is where it stays, sucking in whatever. It is alright saying what people should do, but I think Sony are addressing the way most people use their consoles, to help clean the console months/years down the line. For this generation of consoles especially, cooling seems an important thing, linked to the noise they make, and dust has an adverse affect on that. I can't see a negative of a manufacturer giving users the option to more easily clean the dust from a console. :boggled:

My PS4 is sitting on the table in front of me slowly gathering dust on top. It is nowhere near the carpet though, so thankfully not sucking dust from that, but there is obviously dust in the air. And being so high up, and on a solid surface, the carpet is not limiting airflow, which it does for some people, and also sucks more dust in in that position.

My PC is on its side, on a stand about six inches off the ground, but the intake and exhaust fans on that had a surprising amount of dust on when I opened it up after a few years last month. There is dust in the air, and whether you use a cover or not, in use it will pass through the airflow system.

Time will tell how both of these consoles handle the airflow through the case, and whether sut will be a problem or not. :) Hopefully not. ;)

Considering, as far as I know, nobody has yet taken a XBoxSX/XBoxSS apart in the wild
Again you don't need to take XSX apart to remove some dust. Just blow some air and than vacuum it. PS5 on the other hand has dust catchers build in it. Isn't it logical that Sony is addressing it when they decide for such a design?
I know it's not that complicated to remove a few panels, but I do believe it could be designed better.

I know it's not that complicated to remove a few panels, but I do believe it could be designed better.

Isn't it just a single panel? I don't recall seeing any dust ports on the bottom of the machine, just the top. I quite like it, they've implemented a system for easily removing dust without impacting the design of the console.

Again you don't need to take XSX apart to remove some dust. Just blow some air and than vacuum it.

How does the XSX magically repel dust then ?

I don't put a dust cover on my PS4, its not noisy, never needed to open it, just dust the exterior like anything else. I'm always a bit nonplussed when I see discussion around noisy PS4s and people swearing blind you have to open it regularly and clean/replace thermal paste.

Again you don't need to take XSX apart to remove some dust. Just blow some air and than vacuum it.
And you know that for a fact? :confused:

PS5 on the other hand has dust catchers build in it. Isn't it logical that Sony is addressing it when they decide for such a design?
Opinions eh, we all have them. ;)

With all the designs of all the consoles before it would have been logical for a way to easily clean the dust out of the system, especially those with heat sinks, because they nearly all get some dust over time, yet afaik, the PS5 is the first to address the problem in any way. Kudos to them. :)

Isn't it just a single panel? I don't recall seeing any dust ports on the bottom of the machine, just the top.
Yes it's just some panels. Yet I'm not excited with removing panels off my brand new console. I'm old. In the video he pointed at 3 holes that were translated as "dust catchers" and he also mentioned vacuum cleaning when talking about it.
And you know that for a fact?
Yes, because it similar to Xbones which I own and have been cleaning it effectively for the last 3 years.
Opinions eh, we all have them.
Just watch the video again. PS5 has build in dust catchers that could potentially get clogged during time. A warning is expected. More of a fact than an opinion.
How does the XSX magically repel dust then ?
You literally quoted the answer.

So I don't know if there is an official guide or answer on this but what will the situation be for those of us buying the digital edition
of the PS5 software but have DISC based copies of the games on PS4.

Will I still get the free upgrade to PS5 edition on digital as I presume it will be looking at my Sony account overall and see I've played the game or do I have to have like for like I.e digital version of the PS4 game to get the upgrade for free?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Here's some info for you, in case you missed it.

https://support.playstation.com/s/article/backward-compatibility?language=en_US&lan=

PS4 game discs can’t be used with the PlayStation®5 Digital Edition.

It's worth posting the full section regarding PS4 discs to avoid confusion:

Playing PS4 game discs on a PS5 console with a disc drive
  1. Insert the PS4 game disc. You may need to download an update.
  2. Select the game hub from your Games home.
  3. You will need to keep the disc inserted each time to play the game.

Of course those won't work on the digital version. I'm happy with the backwards compatibility of digital games though, most of my library is digital so I'll be downloading those on day 1!

Last edited:
I'm happy with the backwards compatibility of digital games though, most of my library is digital so I'll be downloading those on day 1!
That could fill up the SSD quite quickly depending on the number of games. ;) :lol:

Thanks for update!

All is now in place thanks to my good fortune of having forgotten I bought Elder Scrolls Online digital and I now have reserved my digital copy of Cyberpunk 2077 and everything else I would be installng on my PS5 is digital bar Bus Simulator but I will pick up the digital version of that next time it goes on sale.

I have 8TB external disc drive so storage space on PS5 is not gonna be a problem for me touch wood!

Thanks for update!

All is now in place thanks to my good fortune of having forgotten I bought Elder Scrolls Online digital and I now have reserved my digital copy of Cyberpunk 2077 and everything else I would be installng on my PS5 is digital bar Bus Simulator but I will pick up the digital version of that next time it goes on sale.

I have 8TB external disc drive so storage space on PS5 is not gonna be a problem for me touch wood!
Keep in mind that external drives will only support PS4 games. Ps5 will have to be installed on internal SSD or an expansion internal NVMe SSD.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that external drives will only support PS4 games. Ps5 will have to be installed on internal SSD or an expansion internal NVMe SSD.

Yes I know but I have a feeling that will change at some point in the future since PS4 originally could not support external HD for storage of games.

Since there are only going to be five games for the foreseeable future storage will still not be a problem.

Last edited:
I was thinking a bit, and this may be the first Playstation console where a slim version is appealing to me. It's a nice plus for those waiting a couple years to make their purchase.

Big W are offering the PS5 Digital(PS5D) for $549AUD. There's a sign up fee( I don't know how much). Home delivery.

Big W are offering the PS5 Digital(PS5D) for $549AUD. There's a sign up fee( I don't know how much). Home delivery.
I'm seeing it at $599 :confused: , and like everywhere else in Australia unavailable to pre-order.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/playstation-5-digital-edition-console/p/124626/

I've already got my disc version sorted, but had to initially pay a $50 pre-order fee and then I received a text last week saying I had to pay in full just to keep my place in the queue to get it on release day. :irked:

New PS5 startup noise, and I'd guess a BK/PS5 promotion.

56030312.jpg

Jerome

Back